Go Back   Sat Universe > SAT Related > Satellite TV Information Department

Note: Visitors from certain countries might see in-text advertising(underlind words in posts) or pop-under ads.
It is only shown to unregistered visitors or members that haven't made any posts. So you can easily get rid of it.

World-Of-Satellite

Satellites.xml - what is it for?

Satellite TV Information Department

Old 08-04-2014, 21:39  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Default Satellites.xml - what is it for?

I have been using an OpenBox S6000HD with BlackHole for about six months now but still feel very ignorant about how everything hangs together.

One thing I have not yet figured out is what is the purpose of satellites.xml and if I update it what do I need to do afterwards? Also how do I update it? I know where to to download it from, but am not sure where to copy it to as I have read conflicting advice on various forums.

If anyone knows of any good reference on Enigma2, please let me know. Is it essentially just another Linux distro with addons specifically for STBs?
Old 08-04-2014, 21:44  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Thanked 7,015 Times in 1,413 Posts

satellites.xml is an updated transponder file for all satellite u can download it here best site http://satellites-xml.eu/ or search for it in forum most of time for dreambox E2 enigma2 it should be located /etc/tuxbox/ but check bath for ur box
The Following User Says Thank You to fankoosh For This Useful Post:
Ferret (08-04-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 22:58  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fankoosh View Post
satellites.xml is an updated transponder file for all satellite u can download it here best site http://satellites-xml.eu/ or search for it in forum most of time for dreambox E2 enigma2 it should be located /etc/tuxbox/ but check bath for ur box
I do know where to get it from and having searched the directory structure of my enigma2 box I found four seperate instances of it although three of them were symbolic links to /etc/tuxbox/satellites.xml.

Having said that, I still don't understand what it's for...
I see it contains things like:-

frequency symbol_rate polarization fec_inner inversion system modulation

but no mention of channels so how does my system equate these entries in satellites.xml with actual channels? Do I need to do a scan to find out the channel names?
Old 08-04-2014, 23:29  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Thanked 7,015 Times in 1,413 Posts

after updating to new satellite.xml u restart e2 & rescan for new chs for that new transponders in new updated satellite.xml & before scan u better select delete all previous old chs to scan & save a new chs list from all updated transponders in new satellite.xml
Old 08-04-2014, 23:42  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybandit View Post
Having said that, I still don't understand what it's for...
It is for satellite scan.
If you run a manual satellite scan you can see available satellites read from this file. That also depends on your satellite system (fixed dish, motorized system, etc).
Your channels are in lamedb file.
The Following User Says Thank You to Robinson74 For This Useful Post:
skybandit (09-04-2014)
Old 09-04-2014, 10:05  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson74 View Post
It is for satellite scan.
If you run a manual satellite scan you can see available satellites read from this file. That also depends on your satellite system (fixed dish, motorized system, etc).
Your channels are in lamedb file.
I had not come across this file before so I'm begining to grasp how all this fits together. Thanks.

How does file get generated? I did not do a manual scan after updating satellites.xml but the file has a current timestamp so must have been updated. Is it safe to delete the file? I'm assuming it will be recreated if I do a manual scan.
Old 09-04-2014, 22:44  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Which file are you talking about now? Still about satellites.xml or lamedb?

Last edited by Robinson74; 09-04-2014 at 22:48..
Old 10-04-2014, 01:34  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson74 View Post
Which file are you talking about now? Still about satellites.xml or lamedb?
The way I understood your post was that I provide a satellites.xml and scan generates an lamedb file.

I have just tried that and 1835 services were found which surprised me a little because I didn't really want loads of Arabic channels... Just Polish and English would have been fine...
Old 03-05-2014, 17:36  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

ddd