Error on display

keano16

Donating Member
Guys had my dm800 clone running for over a year with pli with no probs but last night it frooze when I tried to FTP to it.

I had no choice but to plug the power out. I waited about 30 minutes plugged in but display shows error.

Nothing else just error

I have connected to it using patched dreamup and flashed a full image to it and all goes well but all I get from dreamup once transfer is complete is "box is flashing from memory" and nothing else so I have to close dreamup and try and start box and I still get error

I have tried flashing just second stage too but got errors in dreamup about too many bad sectors.

Box is a dm800 clone with sim2.01 bl76.

Thanks

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
Hi mate

First thing to do is take the lid off and remove the sim card give it a wipe and put it back be carefully the holder is fragile, re flash then try boot.

If that does not work try removing the tuner and then reboot, faulty tuners can cause this sort of problem.

Ferret

keano16

Donating Member
Thanks for trying m8 but gave it all I could but nothing will work.

Suppose its not bad after 7 years and countless linux boxes that one finally dies on me.

I reckon it could be a overheating problem, I forget that I unplugged my cooler at 22:00 on sunday and then at 18:00 on monday when I tried to FTP to it the box frooze so had to pull plug.

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
In Dreamup have you tried the fix bad sectors option from the extras menu ?

Ferret

keano16

Donating Member
Hi m8 I did not see that option on the dreamup I have.

Any chance you link to it.

Do you think using a flash.erase img might help ?

Cheers

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
Hi m8 I did not see that option on the dreamup I have.

Any chance you link to it.

Do you think using a flash.erase img might help ?

Cheers

There are no erase images for the 800, infact i think it was only the 500s that had those.

Ferret

keano16

Donating Member
Hence why I can't find it..lol

I will have another go this morning with dreamup. I had given up and bought another box.

Cheers m8:thum:

keano16

Donating Member
Guys thought I would dig out this dead dm800 clone this weekend and see if I could get it going again.

This is where I am up to,

Using patched Dreamup and fix bad sectors turns on I can connect and load image via serial but then all I get is " box is flashing from memory" and nothing happens I have left it all night.

I have tried dreamup and second stage image but get some error message about a bad write and box is unusable now.

I have tried patched dreamup and ticked network and can connect via web browser and this is where it gets interesting it, on the web interface page it should show this

Booloader version: Dreambox Second Stage Loader BUILD #76, built 20100419 ( taken from good db800 )

But instead it shows this

Booloader version: Dreambox Second Stage Loader BUILD #59, built 20100419

Any one have any ideas what I could try next ?

Just to like to add I have tried to flash image via web browser but after selecting firmware and upload all I get is time out on web page.

Last edited:

keano16

Donating Member
Yeah tried that way yesterday and thought I was in luck but nothing happens on web browser once I click upload it just hangs then I get time out on web page.

Remember this is not the stand error no ca message, had them before and fix is dead easy.
This problem is the word error! nothing else underneath.

Last edited:

Brummie

Staff member
Administrator
check your sim is sitting correctly like ferret said on his last post, i got that error message on my clone when it wasnt sitting correctly, be careful when you check it the sim holder is very easy to break.

keano16

Donating Member
Whoops you're right the plastic case holder has broke.

I'll try and fix it tonight and give it another go.

keano16

Donating Member
OK sim is fitted nice and flush.

Can connect using patched dreamup and Networked HTTP Mode and can see the standard dreambox800 web interface page but have a look at this below this I have copied and pasted from the device info

Information
Product Name DM800
Booloader version Dreambox Second Stage Loader BUILD #59, built 20080509
Flash Size 64 MB
Production Date (YYYY/MM/DD) 2008/11/21
mID 13
Serial Number 52378
MAC Address 00:09:34:28:a4:6c
Printed Serial Number 8B2113000052378

back

Since when do we have a BUILD59 ?

I try and do a flash upgrade but just get timeout errors.

I try and do a second stage write to the sim and get bad errors, see below
bad sector recovery enabled

erase failed at 00000000: f7. Block will be marked as bad.

write failed at 00000000: f7

I am at lost as to what to try next.

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
Mate have you tried flashing just a bootloader say 76d ?

Ferret

Brummie

Staff member
Administrator
the only time i got a #59 was when i flashed a ferrari image on a sim 1 sim, i ended up having to get a new sim, it sounds like the same prob you have, i would flash an image with dreamup or the web browser, it would go through the motions but nothing would happen after it flashed.

keano16

Donating Member
Yeah I did try and flash just a boatloader and got the bad write message.

I will try another 2.01 sim from my another box I have that is working 100% and see what happens.

Cheers for speedy replies.

keano16

Donating Member
Just thought I would report and bring this thread to a conclusion.

IT WORKS !

I just kept trying patched dreamup with new bootloader and flashing via HTTP mode and finally I got to 100% and then pulled power and back in again and box booted OK and works fine.

Special thanks to Ferret and Brummie who helped and must be sick to death of replying to people with dead db800 clones.

Brummie

Staff member
Administrator
glad you sorted it out mate, like i have said in another thread dont give up it will come back to life eventually you just got to keep tying and trying until it does, most people just give up after a couple of tries or loose their patients with it.

well done :thum: