vantage 8000 problem

wildboys

Registered
I received the vantage 8000s today.It is a very nice recevier

but I am having a few problems.The blindscan is really fast.I first scanned 105W it picked up the nbc mux S2 on the scan.It took about five minutes to scan the whole satellite.The picture is awesome.I recorded some of the Today this morning and the view.The software is buggy.I scanned in the NFL game on AMC 1 tonight and the feed will not play without stuttering every other second.This is a mpeg2 feed.I
think I need to update the software that came with the box it is dated
june 2008.I went to vantage website but thei is no instruction on how to upload the latest firmware.If i go to HDnet on 127 w it can play that feed without problem.The bitrate is on 17MBPS.You can also record one channel in hd and watch another one.I do not know why it will not play the high bitrate mpeg 2 feeds without stutter.I went to ABC hd on 99w
stutter also and on the cbs hd channel.Ithink it is a software issue or bootloader.Will the 7100 play these high feeds?Do you have any suggestions?I know this box should be able to play high bitrate hd feeds.

tinywiz

Registered
If the 8000s is connected to internet Use the built in ftp client. It will take you to the vantage ftp and there you could download the newest version.

After it is done make a factory reset.

Athens4me

Registered
So, Wildboys,
Did you ever solve the issue with "... the feed will not play without stuttering every other second"? Was it a software issue?
Please let us know.

barret

Registered
Hello
Wildboys, myself and Kebien all members of a wild feed searching forum in the US and all owning Vantage receivers have been dealing with this issue since the release of file 02.21TO. All files including 02.21 and earlier do not have the stutter issue but the problem is we loose all the benefits of the newer releases not to mention Vantage has stopped supporting the earlier releases. The stutter is extreme, affecting both audio and video, to the point of locking up the receiver. Much testing has been done on our end. If the feed is tuned with the video pid dropped the audio will play fine and if the feed is tuned with the audio pid removed the video plays fine, but together as a complete stream the units will not play certain feeds. MPEG 4 h.264 feeds are not affected.

Kebien did this test he recorded the feed using dreambox 800,which plays and records the feed correctly,
Then he took the recording,which is a TS,and demultiplexed the video and audio,and multiplexed into a PES mpeg 2 file.
This doesn't modify the format at all.
And then I sent it into the vantage hard drive.
This file plays very well in the vantage,not stuttering whatsoever.

This has been going on since last June almost a year now. Vantage has been ftp'd stream data, and multiple recordings of the issue both with and without audio. They have been notified of the last known working good file. Some of us have voiced our opinions directly on the Vantage forum without so much as a response from Vantage support. Direct Emails to Vantage have yielded responses such as ("the unit plays fine" to "you must have the unit set to NTSC") OH REALLY
This is a guess but this issue is probably related to NTSC only. A guess only because we can not test any HD PAL streams here and I have not seen this mentioned on any Euro forums. I believe if this were affecting the receivers in Europe this would have been corrected immediately.

I am not an Engineer but one would think that a comparison of the software from 02.21 and after, that a pattern or major file change could be detected and corrected. It may be an issue where Vantage has added so much to the package that the processor is maxed ou.
It is sad but I believe it will take more than a few US box owners to get Vantage jump on this. The problem is either so deep that it would require a major restructuring or Vantage is just not interested.

Wildboys, Kebien and myself would be greatfull for any suggestions from Mods, members, testers or engineers that may be able to help. Anyone with connections to Vantage that could at least get information as to what the problem may be would be a major step forward.

barret

alecs1

Registered
This is a guess but this issue is probably related to NTSC only. A guess only because we can not test any HD PAL streams here and I have not seen this mentioned on any Euro forums. I believe if this were affecting the receivers in Europe this would have been corrected immediately.

Well, I found my way here by searching for a solution to this problem for a HD feed in europe. Have had this problem since I got my box and the only solution is downgrading the firmware as suggested b4. This is a problem that affects the receivers in Europe aswell :(
Gonna write to Vantage aswell so let´s hope more people do the same .

barret

Registered
Well this could end up being some good news. I am surprised though. What they really need is a live feed they can test rather then the .TS streams they are being sent. If you could supply them with sat coordinates of a stuttering feed this would be very helpful. We have an unending list here ( ESPN HD , CBS HD, ABC HD, BIG Ten Sports HD, Versus Sports HD just to name a few) but unfortunately nothing they can view. Thanks for the reply.

cracka

Registered
has this problem been addressed by vantage? I am using optus c sat and I have also got this problem from all HD channels from this sat.

barret

Registered
My guess is they will never address it.File 2.49 has been out since March with no updates. They seem to be more concerned about getting their new receiver to market. I am stuck with a 7100HD that will only play HD with no stutter with a year old file 02.21 and an 1100HD that will not play over 50% of HD feeds now without stuttering and no possibility of downgrading the file as it is not compatible with the older files. The only thing the 1100 is good for is blindsearching. So I bought an AZBox Elite. Out of the 10 receivers I have this is the best unit I ever owned. No stutter, excellent support, full 4:2:2 support, strong tuner. I could go on and on. Buy the AZ. Forget Vantage, they have forgotten us.

Last edited:

HaRaZoo

Registered
I
think I need to update the software that came with the box it is dated june 2008.I went to vantage website but thei is no instruction on how to upload the latest firmware.

I bought my 8000HD in August and original firmware was dated October 2008!!!

I went to Vantage homepage and downloaded newest firmware to USB-memorystick. Then I put USB-stick to Vantage, opened USB-folder and choose new firmware and click OK from remotecontrol.

Then Vantage was rebooting itself.
Thats it.