Note: Visitors from certain countries might see in-text advertising(underlind words in posts) or pop-under ads.
It is only shown to unregistered visitors or members that haven't made any posts. So you can easily get rid of it.

World-Of-Satellite

Formula 1 News

Sports News

Old 14-05-2010, 17:13  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Thanked 14,665 Times in 5,490 Posts
Talking

BUTTON LOOKS TO HAUL IN RED BULLS

Jenson Button is hoping for a mixed-up, crazy weekend that will see Red Bull Racing stripped of their 'untouchables' tag.

In terms of pace in qualifying, no team has been able to live with Red Bull so far this season as they have been on pole in all five grands prix, locking out the front row three times.

In Barcelona on Saturday for the Spanish Grand Prix they destroyed their rivals as Mark Webber finished a second quicker than Button's McLaren team-mate Lewis Hamilton, who started third.

That shook up the rest of the grid, who at least have been buoyed by the fact Red Bull have not always followed up their qualifying form with race pace on Sunday.

Everybody is now hoping Monaco's unpredictability will throw up a different grid for the Sunday, and that Red Bull will not be so far in the ascendancy as they have been.

"If you look at every race this season the Red Bulls have qualified on pole, whatever the conditions and whatever the type of circuit," said reigning world champion Button.

"And if you look at their pace in qualifying in Barcelona, you would say they are pretty untouchable. I don't think we expected that after Friday (practice).

"But Monaco is a very different race. The cars work a different way here.

"They are going to be quick, but I am hoping the gap is not quite what it was in Barcelona, and I also think it will be a bit more mixed up here.

"Our race pace is better than our qualifying pace compared to them, as Lewis was able to show in Barcelona.

"It's only three or four tenths (of a second) in a race, compared to a second in qualifying, so it's not as horrendous as it looked in Barcelona on Saturday.

"There is a lot of work we still need to do to catch them. Monaco is going to be a tough weekend, but hopefully we can pull it out and have a good one."

Button is also expecting qualifying to culminate in angry scenes and a number of potential penalties should the slow-coach new boys wreak havoc.

With Lotus, Virgin and Hispania Racing likely to be over seven seconds per lap slower during the initial 20-minute session, problems will arise and sparks might fly.

"If it is wet it is going to be pretty crazy out there, especially with so many cars," added Button ahead of today's practice.

"It will be mad in the dry, but in the wet pretty impossible to get a clear lap

"It will be tricky in Q1, but I'm sure we'll cope. A few of us will be angry and unhappy at the end of Q1, but we all have to deal with the same situation.

"It's the same for all of us. Some of us will get lucky, some of us won't.

"But there are going to be

Old 14-05-2010, 17:13  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Talking

WEBBER: NO SPANISH REPEAT Monaco GP Race Winner.

Mark Webber has played down Red Bull's chances of repeating their Spanish GP domination around the streets of Monte Carlo this weekend.

Webber was by far the quickest driver at Barcelona last weekend, claiming pole position by almost a full second.

He followed that up with a pole to flag victory, taking the chequered flag 24 seconds ahead of runner-up Fernando Alonso.

The Aussie, though, has poured cold water over a repeat performance in Monaco, mainly because the layout of the principality's track is not conducive towards such big margins.

"It was an exceptional situation that we were on pole by one second," he said. "I think it would be unlikely to have that type of gap here, it's a short lap anyway and it doesn't take that long to get around here.

"The other thing is that traditionally the times in Monaco have always been pretty close.

"It's a different track layout, and this place is so unique, you don't design your Formula 1 car around Monte Carlo because there's only one track like it in the year.

"It's a very demanding venue for the car and the driver, but it requires lots of different things compared to other tracks.

"You only have to win by just enough, and hopefully we can still do it here. But whether we'll be as dominant remains to be seen. I think it's going to be a very, very competitive weekend with McLaren, Ferrari and Mercedes."

But despite believing his rivals will hot on his heels in Monaco, the Aussie is adamant that Red Bull have a package that will be competitive.

"I don't see any reason why we shouldn't be competitive here," he said. "

We've shown at every single grand prix from Singapore last year that we've been pretty competitive at most venues, so I'm looking forward to seeing how we go this weekend."

Talking

ALONSO PIPS VETTEL IN MONACO Monaco GP Winning Margin.

Fernando Alonso shone in the sunshine as Formula One's travelling circus set up its stall for its blue riband event.

The Monaco Grand Prix is unique on the calendar as practice always takes place on a Thursday rather than Friday, and it was Ferrari star Alonso who took advantage of the unexpected conditions.

At the start of the week, heavy rain had been forecast, but instead the jewel in Formula One's crown glittered under blue skies.

Alonso, three points behind championship leader Jenson Button after his fortuitous second place in the Spanish Grand Prix four days ago, shaved a close opening 90-minute session at the principality.

The Spaniard led the way with a lap of one minute 15.927secs for the most famous street circuit in the world that only covers two miles.

Alonso pipped Red Bull Racing's Sebastian Vettel by 0.073secs as the 22-year-old German stopped the clock on his best lap at exactly 76 seconds, with Renault's Robert Kubica in close attendance just a further 0.016secs adrift.

In a strong, and potentially ominous run for Red Bull, who have been on pole in all five grands prix this season, Barcelona race winner Mark Webber was fourth quickest with a lap of 1:16.382, nearly half a second down on Alonso.

Alonso's team-mate Felipe Massa gave Ferrari one of their strongest practice showings for a while as the Brazilian was fifth, followed by Michael Schumacher on one of his favourite hunting grounds.

The five-times winner of this race was 0.662secs adrift of Alonso in sixth, with McLaren duo Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button seventh and eighth, split by 0.045secs.

Force India's Adrian Sutil and Sebastien Buemi in his Toro Rosso completed the top 10, the duo the only other drivers to finish within a second of Alonso.

Towards the bottom of the timesheet, Lotus' Heikki Kovalainen and Jarno Trulli in 20th and 21st sandwiched Virgin Racing's Timo Glock and Lucas di Grassi who were 19th and 22nd, with the quartet covered by a second.

Thankfully they were not as far adrift as expected, although the majority of the leading runners appeared to be on heavier fuel runs, with Glock 3.6 seconds behind Alonso.

However, Hispania Racing's Bruno Senna and Karun Chandhok were close to six seconds behind, and on such pace would be lapped after just 13 laps of Sunday's race.

The only incident involved Sauber's Kamui Kobayashi who hit a kerb coming out of the swimming pool complex, sending him bouncing into the air and sliding sideways into a barrier where he dislodged his front wing.

Times
01. Alonso Ferrari 1:15.927 31 laps
02. Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1:16.000 + 0.073 26 laps
03. Kubica Renault 1:16.016 + 0.089 28 laps
04. Webber Red Bull-Renault 1:16.382 + 0.455 24 laps
05. Massa Ferrari 1:16.517 + 0.590 29 laps
06. Schumacher Mercedes 1:16.589 + 0.662 21 laps
07. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1:16.647 + 0.720 32 laps
08. Button McLaren-Mercedes 1:16.692 + 0.765 29 laps
09. Sutil Force India-Mercedes 1:16.805 + 0.878 23 laps
10. Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:16.857 + 0.930 30 laps
11. Rosberg Mercedes 1:17.149 + 1.222 14 laps
12. Barrichello Williams-Cosworth 1:17.331 + 1.404 28 laps
13. Liuzzi Force India-Mercedes 1:17.704 + 1.777 26 laps
14. Petrov Renault 1:17.718 + 1.791 38 laps
15. Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:17.991 + 2.064 36 laps
16. Hulkenberg Williams-Cosworth 1:18.397 + 2.470 39 laps
17. de la Rosa Sauber-Ferrari 1:18.434 + 2.507 37 laps
18. Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari 1:18.547 + 2.620 32 laps
19. Glock Virgin-Cosworth 1:19.527 + 3.600 23 laps
20. Kovalainen Lotus-Cosworth 1:19.606 + 3.679 31 laps
21. Trulli Lotus-Cosworth 1:19.902 + 3.975 30 laps
22. di Grassi Virgin-Cosworth 1:20.566 + 4.639 18 laps
23. Senna HRT-Cosworth 1:21.688 + 5.761 27 laps
24. Chandhok HRT-Cosworth 1:21.853 + 5.926 6 laps

Old 14-05-2010, 17:14  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Talking

BUTTON EXPECTS QUALIFYING CHAOS

Jenson Button is expecting qualifying for the Monaco Grand Prix to culminate in angry scenes and a number of potential penalties.

McLaren team-mate Lewis Hamilton this week warned the one-lap battle around the tight, twisty, two-mile Monte-Carlo circuit "could be a disaster".

The fear is that, with slow-coach newcomers Lotus, Virgin and Hispania Racing likely to be over seven seconds per lap slower during the initial 20-minute session when all 24 cars could be on track, problems will arise and sparks might fly.

"We've got to hammer it round. I don't think we can back off, we have to stay on it because that might be the quickest lap we do," remarked Button.

"It will be tricky in Q1, but I'm sure we'll cope. A few of us will be angry and unhappy at the end of Q1, but we all have to deal with the same situation.

"It's the same for all of us. Some of us will get lucky, some of us won't. You can't do much about it now. That's the way it is.

"But there are going to be a lot of people asking for penalties I think."

Jarno Trulli, a winner around Monaco in 2004, is now one of those likely to incur the wrath of the quicker guys.

Although in a car that can rightly be hailed as the best of the backmarkers, the Lotus driver is in agreement with Button.

"We're all going to have a lot of traffic," said the veteran Italian.

"It's a question of luck because maybe a quicker car slows down in front of me whilst I'm on a quick lap and I'm hindered.

"On the other hand maybe I'm on a quick lap, but not quick enough for a faster car which is probably four or five seconds (per lap) quicker than me.

"Neither way will work, but we will have to see what we can do to be free of traffic and do our job.

"Anything can happen in Monaco, and it is the place where you can have more chance.

"You can get one good lap by running round and round, and you get your lap in, but for us it's a bit more difficult to do that.

"But we are all in the same boat. I don't have a solution, and I don't care. I will go out and try to get some free space, get my lap in and that's it."

Bruno Senna already has experience of how Saturday will unfold from his days in GP2 when there were 26 cars on track, and like Hamilton he predicts it "will be a mess".

It may even be the case that Hamilton, Button et al, end up at the back of the grid as they are unable to get in a quick lap.

"With so many cars on track and with their difference in pace, I believe some people won't get a lap time," Hispania Racing's Senna told Press Association Sport.

"It happens in GP2, with some of the quick cars at the back because they were held up, or there was a queue in Rascasse to start a lap.

"It's going to be quite interesting. We have to make sure we are on the track as much as we can to get a lap in that counts.

"But it's going to be a big mess, and if it's wet it will make it even harder."

As for the race, Senna is already anticipating spending more time looking in his mirrors than at the road ahead.

One backmarker in Sunday's Spanish Grand Prix managed only 15 laps out of 66 without being shown a blue flag telling him to allow a quicker car by.

"With that many laps, it's going to be quite interesting to see how many times I will be lapped," added the nephew of Ayrton, the three -times champion who holds the record for most wins at this track with six.

"Monaco is very peculiar. It is unusual to have a straightforward race where you're not stuck behind another car or you don't make a mistake.

"The field is going to be spread big time and the traffic quite hard to manage for everybody."

Old 14-05-2010, 17:14  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Talking

MASSA SEEKING SOLUTIONS

Felipe Massa has vowed to resolve the issues that have seen him fall by the wayside over the last three grands prix.

Massa led the drivers' standings following the first two races after finishing second in the season-opener in Bahrain and third in the second race in Australia.

But in Malaysia, China and Spain, the Brazilian has collected just 16 points to slip to seventh in the championship, 21 points behind leader and defending world champion Jenson Button.

Massa admits he has had problems of late with his Ferrari, and is hoping to finally get to the bottom of them, sooner rather than later as he aims for a vast improvement around Monaco this weekend.

"Throughout the winter tests I was 110% happy with the car," said Massa.

"At the first race the car was great, and everything was working perfectly just as I wanted.

"But the biggest issue I've had in the last few races has been the grip level with the tyres and I've struggled to get used to the car.

"There are some issues I've had this year, but I'm working very hard and I'm going to solve the problem.

"We know it's an issue that has cost me a few points in the last races, but it's something that I know I'm going to solve."

Last weekend's Spanish Grand Prix underlined the trouble Massa has run into of late, despite finishing sixth after starting from ninth on the grid.

"Last weekend was not great for me, especially in qualifying," said Massa.

"I struggled a lot to find a good grip level, and in the race it was difficult to overtake, almost impossible.

"I ran most of the race behind people and I just had no grip to try anything. It was not a very nice race.

"I just hope we can do a better job this weekend. We will see how it is going to be."

Old 14-05-2010, 17:15  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Talking

HAMILTON GUARDS REPUTATION AS WINNER

Lewis Hamilton has no intention of ending his Formula One career with stains on his character like Michael Schumacher.

Schumacher's brilliant, but tainted time in Formula One was again the subject of debate after his failure to apologise for one of his most outrageous indiscretions in Monaco four years ago.

The 41-year-old was offered ample opportunity to say sorry for feigning an accident and parking his Ferrari at Rascasse to block then bitter rival Fernando Alonso from grabbing pole position.

Throw in the championship deciders in 1994 and 1997 when he tried to take out Damon Hill and Jacques Villeneuve, and Schumacher is as much remembered for such infamy as for his seven world titles.

Hamilton still has a long way to go to match Schumacher's more illustrious feats as the Briton has one world title and 12 race wins to his name.

Hamilton may also have been embroiled in 'lie-gate' at the start of last year, although he maintains he was acting on team orders, not of his own volition as was the case with Schumacher.

So one thing is clear, the 25-year-old is determined to keep it clean and play by the rules.

"When I leave F1 I want to be remembered as one of the best drivers of all time," Hamilton said.

"My first thought was I am not really bothered if I am remembered or not, but then clearly I am going to be remembered.

"I am part of the sport, part of its history, a world champion, so I would like to be remembered in the best way and the best light.

"I want to be remembered as a fair driver, a clean driver, one who always drove with his heart, who battled through thick and thin to score the points and the championships I will hopefully earn."

Asked about Schumacher's occasional unscrupulous acts and whether he is intent on ensuring his character is not similarly blighted, Hamilton replied: "Absolutely.

"When I think about history, it is not just about me, it is about how my family raised me, where we came from.

"For that to be potentially tainted by something like that would really devastate me. That is something I don't want to be known for."

That Monaco weekend, Hamilton was in GP2, winning the feature race en route to claiming the rookie title for the series that year.

If he has an opinion on what Schumacher did, he is keeping it to himself as he said: "I don't really have a view on it.

"Everyone has their opinion, and the right to their opinion, but for me I just focus on my own job. It doesn't have any impact on me.

"Whether I think it was right or wrong, I wasn't in the car with him and I can't blame someone for something, so I honestly don't know."

At one of Schumacher's favourite tracks where he won five times, you would think Hamilton would be relishing the prospect of taking on the legend around the streets of the principality.

Monte Carlo is a venue Hamilton adores, but it would appear the novelty of going head to head with Schumacher has lost its appeal.

"It doesn't do anything for me whatsoever," added Hamilton, who was seventh quickest at the end of the two practice sessions, finishing 0.345secs adrift of Ferrari's Fernando Alonso.

"Of course, he is a world champion and you want to be up against world champions.

"It is always a privilege to be on the same track as him, as it is having him in the sport.

"Now for me it would be special if I was on the track with Ayrton (Senna), but everyone has their own points of view.

"But even if I was to finish ahead of Michael this weekend compared to the last time I won here (in 2008) it has no bearing.

"The grand prix I won here would be my best time."

Old 14-05-2010, 17:15  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Talking

BOOTH UNABLE TO APPRECIATE MONACO

Virgin Racing team principal John Booth has revealed he has barely had time to catch his breath since pitching up in Monaco.

The principality's glamorous surroundings are a far cry from Booth's humble beginnings working in a butcher's shop run by his father in Rotherham.

But Booth and his team are now becoming an established part of the Formula One fraternity, although teething problems still abound.

Following the Spanish Grand Prix four days ago, for instance, they were the last team to erect their motorhome in the cramped confines of the Monte-Carlo paddock on Thursday alongside the harbour.

It has been a testing time for Booth and Virgin since they stepped into F1, in particular the last few days, leaving him with little time to appreciate his surroundings.

"When I stop working so hard, I'll be able to catch my breath then and look around," said Booth.

"But at the moment it's just a challenge we are facing, and we're working very hard on that, but it's still great to be here.

"The atmosphere is fantastic, but the challenges are just the same."

Booth at least had cause to smile after watching drivers Lucas di Grassi and Timo Glock set reasonable times at the end of today's two 90-minute practice sessions.

It was expected the duo, along with the other new teams in Lotus and Hispania Racing, would be six to seven seconds off the pace.

That was only the case for Hispania as Di Grassi and Glock were 3.5secs and 3.8secs behind Ferrari's Fernando Alonso.

Following on from Barcelona when Virgin managed to bring two cars home for the first time this season, Booth is hoping things are on the up.

"Barcelona was massively important for us," added Booth.

"But in terms of seeing two cars over the line, we should have had those from race one.

"It took us five races to get there, far too long, but I'm very happy we have achieved it.

"Now we need to continue the reliability here and then look at the next race in Turkey to start improving performance.

"At the moment ninety-nine per cent of our effort is on reliability but hopefully from this race we can start adding performance to it."

Old 14-05-2010, 17:16  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Talking

TRULLI HOPES TO FOCUS ON ROAD AHEAD

Jarno Trulli is hoping to avoid a repeat of his first Monaco Grand Prix 13 years ago when he spent so much time looking in his mirrors he ended up in a barrier.

Trulli was competing in only the fourth race of his Formula One career with perennial backmarkers Minardi in 1997, and it was one to forget for the Italian.

After just seven laps Trulli spun off, and there are now fears this Sunday's grand prix - his 14th around the streets of Monte-Carlo - will culminate in something similar with Lotus.

Trulli is fully expecting to keep as much of an eye on the road as he will on the marshals waving blue flags urging him to pull over and let by the field's quicker cars.

"Because I was being given blue flags to let everybody past, and because of my inexperience, I ended up in the wall," said Trulli.

"I hope that's something I'm not going to do again this year with my greater experience.

"But on the other hand, since I've been racing this year, I would say I spend more than half the race looking out for blue flags.

"It's not fun as it requires a lot of concentration.

"But because the speed difference is quite a lot between ourselves and the quicker cars, you are going to hit blue flags nearly every lap from before halfway to the end.

"So it's not going to be easy for me, nor will it be easy for the guys who have to lap us. I hope they understand that.

"But I will personally do my best during the race to let them by."

At least Trulli and Lotus team-mate Heikki Kovalainen suggested the Norfolk-based marque might have a respectable weekend.

The duo finished 3.2secs and 3.7secs respectively behind Ferrari's Fernando Alonso at the end of Thursday's two 90-minute practice sessions.

Trulli, though, was hampered by an engine issue in the second session that allowed him to complete just 13 laps, which resulted in a feeling of "frustration."

"In losing time in the garage I didn't really get the chance to push as I'd have liked on track," added Trulli.

"The times were coming down, but unfortunately in Monaco every single minute you lose being on track is going to cost you a little bit throughout the weekend.

"Obviously I'm experienced, so on the driver's side it won't affect me, but with the car we still need to find the right set-up and the right balance."

Old 14-05-2010, 17:16  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Talking

BUTTON BUSIER WITH McLAREN

Jenson Button admits he still needs to get out more a year on from providing a colourful self-assessment.

Ahead of last season's Monaco Grand Prix, following a phenomenal start to the year in which he had won four out of the first five races and was chasing down the title, for the first time in his career Button was eating, sleeping and drinking Formula One.

In immersing himself in the sport in a determined bid to become champion, Button described himself as "a right boring b*****d", a remark that naturally made headlines.

The 30-year-old concedes that now he has a title to his name it has eased the stresses and strains, but in truth little has changed and he is still how he characterised himself.

"I'm a lot more relaxed now than I was last year, definitely so, but I still think about Formula One maybe too much," Button said.

"Sometimes you need a break, to get away from it and have another hobby, which I have - triathlons, but I haven't done any since August last year.

"So most of the time I'm still thinking about Formula One, which is sometimes a good thing, sometimes it isn't.

"That's because you do need to get away to ensure you are far more fresh when you return.

"So I would say I am pretty similar to last year, just a bit more relaxed."

Becoming champion and switching to McLaren from Brawn GP has also played a key role in Button failing to escape as much as he would like.

McLaren are, and have always been, sponsor orientated, placing high demands on their drivers to ensure those who pay into the team are rewarded.

It has had an effect as Button's fitness regime has tailed off, although not to a degree where it has damaged his racing.

"I'm definitely busier here," added Button.

"The thing is, when you get a day off, sometimes you need to rest from everything.

"But I want to get out there and train to make sure it doesn't drop off.

"There has to be a balance to everything, and I've probably not trained as much as I would like.

"But I'm definitely training enough for racing, and that's the most important thing to me. That's number one.

"It's a busy schedule with McLaren, but we make sure it's balanced, that it's not too overpowering and we're not tired when we get to the circuit."

To underline the demands on his time, Monaco-resident Button only trained near his home for the first time this week, otherwise it was on the hoof at wherever he happened to be.

"Monday and Tuesday of next week I'm free as well, so I'm going to go out training up in the hills," said Button, who is from Frome in Somerset.

"It's not that I'm struggling because I'm way fit enough to drive an F1 car, but it would be nice if I could train a bit more.

"The most important thing, as I said, is that it's Formula One, and I need something else to enjoy, which I do, and that's triathlons.

"I have to appreciate it's always busier at the start of the year than during the year because you have a lot of sponsors that want to start their campaigns, whether it's pictures, photos or film.

"It's starting to get quieter now."

That will particularly be the case after this weekend, one in which Button will be hoping to emulate his feat of last season when he scored the greatest victory of his career.

Practice on Thursday, though, was a difficult examination for Button as he only managed the ninth best time, seven tenths of a second behind Ferrari's Fernando Alonso.

With Monaco quiet on Friday ahead of qualifying on Saturday, Button remains upbeat, adding: "I'm reasonably happy, although we don't know where we stand.

"But the Ferrari looks very quick, and I'm sure Red Bull are hiding their pace, so it's the normal people at the front and hopefully we'll be there tomorrow morning.

"Qualifying we have to keep our heads on, stay relaxed and try best to get through it.

"Getting angry in the session, which I'm sure some people will do, is not the right thing."

Old 14-05-2010, 17:17  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Talking

LEWIS HOPES FOR SOMETHING SPECIAL

Lewis Hamilton believes a repeat of his 2008 victory around Monaco would hopefully be the start of "something very special" this year.

Hamilton is still searching for his first win this season, and his first in nine races with his last coming in Singapore in September.

The 25-year-old is convinced with the McLaren he has beneath him, an elusive triumph to boost his championship chances is just over the horizon.

"Although we weren't at the top of the times the car felt good," said Hamilton after finishing seventh quickest in practice at the end of yesterday's two 90-minute sessions.

"I love being here, and on this track the car feels light years ahead of last year's car.

"We've made some good steps forward with the set up, and although everyone is quite competitive, I think we should be okay.

"We'll still have to do our homework, hopefully do a good job and fight for the top three.

"Although this is the best place to win, I'm not going to get my hopes up because we know how competitive everyone is.

"We've just got to hope, keep our fingers cross and do the best job we can.

"But a win here would be the beginning of hopefully something very special, although I won't apply pressure on myself and say it will come this weekend.

"My performances have been pretty good this year, so I just have to build on that, and eventually it has to hit a peak with a win."

Hamilton concedes, though, there is a spring in his step now he is back at his favourite venue, and as he looks to put Sunday's abject disappointment behind him.

Being in Monaco has lifted Hamilton's spirits after a wheel-rim failure saw him crash out of the Spanish Grand Prix in Barcelona on the penultimate lap.

"There's a certain buzz, a certain feeling when you're in the car here," added Hamilton, who trails team-mate Jenson Button by 21 points in the drivers' standings.

"When you have a good car here it just feels phenomenal to drive, and you can really do something with it.

"Every time you do something new, finding half a metre here or there, getting an inch closer to a barrier here or there.

"Things just seem to happen so much faster than normal, twice the speed, three times the speed of a normal circuit.

"The barriers are flying by, the road is bumpy, and you are always on the edge and you're thinking 'If I leave it a little bit too late I'm going to be in a barrier'.

"It's just the most incredible feeling."