Opticum / Globo / Orton X403p HD - Mini Guide

VideoCrypt

Registered
There seems to be a lot of people asking questions about these receivers but there also seems to be a lack of basic information for new users.
I am trying to put together a simple non techie guide to help users out. If anyone else has any useful info they would like to add please feel free :)

The Receiver
optix403p.jpg

A small compact footprint measuring 220mm wide, 40mm heigh, 160mm deep. The unit seems to have many different names (brands)
such as 'Orton' 'Globo' 'Opticum' and quite a few more. As for the original OEM manufacturer a quick search on Alibaba show numerous
manufacturers & suppliers, we can be pretty sure its mass produced somewhere in china :)

Connectivity
From the picture you can see the rear panel has a fair array of connections for a box this size.

RS232 for uploading and dumping firmware which can also be done via the USB.

12V Out
There is a 12 volt output rated at 50 milliamps, I've seen similar connections on some older AV receivers I believe it was used as a method
of bringing components out of standby mode (basically a control connection). I'm not 100% sure of its purpose, but if you need a 12v out you have it :).

USB for connecting flash drives, hard drives etc. I guess the main use for the USB is for recording your programs onto HDD, but its also
handy for backing up and installing firmware.

Ethernet allows networking of the receiver for things such as card sharing (which is not built into the standard firmware).
It can also be used for firmware updates and connecting to FTP servers. As far as I know the box can only act as an FTP client not a server
so you cannot access the firmware or do mods via FTP. (Please correct me if I'm wrong here!)

Audio & Video we've got L & R audio out for stereo output also a digital coaxial output for Dolby Digital surround when used with an AV
receiver. CVBS (composite video) output not used so much these days. Scart / Euro / Peritel for connecting to a tv or other av kit.
HDMI for outputting HiDefinition to your HiDef tv / projector.

On the Front
There is a series of buttons which allow you to operate the receiver without the remote control. One Common Interface slot for a hardware
CAM. Also one card slot (Conax). A green LED segment display for the clock and channel selection.

As for the box itself that's the basics. I will be moving on to Software & Firmware in my next post.

Hope this info is useful to someone :thum:

miljan017

Registered
Opticum HD X403p is satellite receiver that lets you receive SD and HD channels in both MPEG-2 and in MPEG-4/H.264. compression.
The receiver has a tuner capable of processing signals in DVB-S2 standard and works in high resolution 1280x720p, 1920x1080i, 720x576p, 720x576.

The receiver also complies with strict EU standards on energy consumption of the receiver in standby mode, which is less than 1W, even though the manufacturer stated on its website or in the accompanying manual. Measurements I made a certified meter and the consumption was 0.6 W in standby mode.
Opticum X403p is equipped with a fast processor clock speed 396 MHz RAM manufacturer indicates 1024 MB flash memory is 32 megabytes.

The receiver comes in black, dimensions are relatively small: 220 x 40 x 160 mm (W x H x D). The front panel contains operation button and four-digit numeric display. Under the hinged lid there is one universal decoder card reader and a one CI slot.

miljan017

Registered
OPTICUM - HD X403p technical characteristics:

One slot for Smart Card

One Slot for Common Interface Module

Support of SD / HD (MPEG2 / MPEG4 H.264), DVB-S, DVB-S2 system

High resolution video output - HDMI

Standard resolution video output - SCART, RCA

Supported video resolutions - 576p, 720p, 1080i

Front panel display - LED 4 digit

Digital audio output S/PDIF - coaxial

Analog audio output - RCA stereo

Software update by USB, RS-232C

12V out for connecting external devices

Lan connector (Ethernet)

USB connector compliant with USB 2.0 standard

Low power consumption in Stand-by mode, below 1W

Automatic Stand-By mode after 3 hours from last using receiver for power saving

Compatible with Diseqc 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, and USALS

Electronic Program Guide - EPG

Multilngual Menu, including English

Time Shift (video pausing, rewinding)

PVR Ready - possibility to record on external USB drive

Recording one channel and watch another FTA channel within a single transponder

Blind Scan supported

Parental Lock for channels and Menu

Possiility to save up to 5000 channels (TV and Radio)

Fast channels switching

Possibility of creating own channels lists

Possibility of creating Favourite Lists

Sort / Group / Channels search options

Channel Editing features -Remove, Lock, Skip, Move, Rename

Subtitle support - Teletext and DVB

Teletext support

Tool to convert files for playback on your computer

Build-in Dolby Digital decoder (downmix to stereo)

Colour - black

OPTICUM USB HDD supported

Channels Editor

Support connection to an external FTP server (FTP client)

VideoCrypt

Registered
I've noticed that my 'Opticum' box has some differences to the one in the manufacturers photo, the wording on the front panel is slightly different...

optix304pfront.jpg

And it has a mains power switch on the rear panel...

optix304prear.jpg

Neither of which are of particular importance to the operation of the unit.

My remote control is also slightly different...

optix304prc.jpg

VideoCrypt

Registered
Software and firmware

When my box arrived it had firmware version 060202001281 dated 13/09/2010 which seemed to have a few minor glitches,
for example when plugging in a USB device the box would often re-boot, it also seemed to crash intermittently when using the PVR.
I've since installed newer custom firmware which seems to work just fine.
I was at first a little confused by all of the different firmware floating around on the net, there not a great deal of info explaining it all.
I'm by no means an expert in this area but would like to pass on the useful bits information that I have picked up.

Lemontree, Amstar, Synaps, what do they mean?

Basically they are names given to the GUI (the look and function of the menus) within the firmware.
I did a bit of digging around and found some pictures showing the different menu types.
The pictures are not my mine nor are they very good quality but hopefully they will give some idea of the different GUIs...

optifwmenus.jpg

Personally I like the 'Synaps' menu it's clean and uncluttered.

(I would be very interested to hear from anyone who knows how to mod opticum x4 series firmware, appearance, menus,
boot screen etc, if you have any experience in this field please PM me :thum: )

PS / MCAS

Again I'm not an expert in this field so please correct me if I'm wrong here :eek:

PS firmware contains software emulated CAM(s) such as CCcam / NewcamD and also MCAS (Multi Cas) card emulation.

MCS firmware contains Multicas support.

Most if not all firmware will have a version number something like 1.3.84 which I think is the most current at the time of writing.

To recap a firmware named (Opticum_HD_X402p_X403p_Amstar_PS_1.3.84.rar) should contain firmware "version 1.3.84"
suitable for the "Opticum X4 series" with the "Amstar" menu and include "Softcam emulation with Multicas" support.

To be continued....

Last edited:

Schilo

Registered
Very useful thread

Thank you VideoCrypt, it's a very useful thread for newbies like me... :thum:

Mine also has the red LED on the front panel and the power switch on the rear panel.

My remote is the same as in the picture above. One question: is that model that's called "new remote" in the various firmwares for the X403p (as opposed to the "old remote")?

Thank you. :)

fred1000

Registered
FYI the firmware with menu called
Xwindow
looks a lot like the Trueman menu.

Can someone please tell me if the Amstar menu is in low resolution only? When the Amstar menu is in 1080i, the text for the menu is blocky for me?

I have reset to default settings and it still is blocky for Amstar menu.

But is is okay for Lemontree and others I have tried.

Thanks

nyamunga

Registered
When i bought my Orton X403P it was accessing hd channels but after upgrading the software it is nolonger opening hd channels using 2011 fta dongle anymore like it used to. What can i do as concerns original software.

FONKY101

Registered
thanks for all its very helpfull

can someone known how to upgrade CCcam version on orton X4

i want to upgrade CCcam 2.0.11 to 2.2.1 coz 2.0.11 have a lot of freeze when watch HD chanel

thanks in advance

kost1980

Registered
i have a big problem , i want to connect a 0-12v switch to increase my diseqc but it doesnt work the output connection with the software!!!!! i mean that i setuo the software menu to open the 0 - 12 v selection on or off but nothing happend.
i dont know what to do

thanks for your support

philly

Registered
opticun GUI

Thanks VideoCrypt,
Your post has been very helpful to me. I will try the version of GUI that you prefer as the lemontree is quiet difficult to see.
I need a version of 1.3.81 which will run CCcam.

hs5424

Last edited:

philly

Registered
Hi VideoCrypt,
Where would I find synaps ps for download.

Very useful post
philly

Last edited:

finito02

Registered
Thank you VideoCrypt, I've learned a lot of things with this thread.... really useful for a newbie like me. :)

I have a question.... when I search for new firmware I often read of HS, for example hs 2.11 or hs 2.21 ... what does this mean?
Thanks in advance

bubaloey

Registered
dvb-c xc403p cable receiver

can anyone tell me where i can get a xc403p dvb-c cable receiver

i am in the usa and i would like to purchase two of the cable receivers xc403p NOT DVB-S

anyplace except from chinese sites sells them?

i see one on ebay but it has no DOLBY, does this means i will get certain channels with out volume?

i need your help

budadd

Registered
After bad firmware update i can't reflashing with RS232 (Reset during usb flashing) i have now ASH in panel.

RS232 for uploading and dumping firmware which can also be done via the USB.

What is the correct flahsing program?
All try, my box will not communicate with upgrade flash program.

Please help, thanks.