@ramiMAHER: why images fail on second boot, solution!

malakudi

Registered
First of all I want to thank ramiMAHER for his work on patching latest images. I also had the problem that on second boot images fail to start. I don't know if and why it works for some people, but here is an explanation to the problem and solution.

The problem is an incompatibility between the kernel ramiMAHER uses and the modules dvb-core.ko and stv0299.ko . The kernel ramiMAHER uses already export symbols used by these modules, and when you try to load them they fail with following messages:
stv0299: exports duplicate symbol stv0299_attach (owned by kernel)
dvb_core: exports duplicate symbol dvb_unregister_adapter (owned by kernel)

On first boot, the module dependencies (modules.dep) are not set and modules are started with insmod from some initialisation script. Thus, dvb-core.ko and stv0299.ko are not loaded and first boot is ok. On second boot, module dependencies are set and when startup process does "modprobe bcm7401", modules dvb-core.ko and stv0299.ko are loaded and because they fail, bcm7401 fails too. That's why booting fails.

An easy workaround to the issue is to modify modules.dep and delete all occurenses of dvb-core.ko and stv0299.ko . Also delete these two modules for safety. Then your box will boot fine. Actually if you delete those files, delete modules.dep and then run depmod -a the new generated modules.dep will have no dependency on dvb-core.ko or stv0299.ko

However, the correct solution (that will also enable usb dvb-t modules to work, because they need dvb-core.ko) is ramiMAHER to fix his kernel so that it doesn't export the above mentioned symbols, then those modules could be loaded.

I hope I helped.

Last edited:

Psycho1982

Registered
Also all i must do is Flash image and on first boot dell the two Files?

And then?

Wher i can finde this to files?

azwina

malakudi so can you teach us how to delete that file ????so we can try ourself...

malakudi

Registered
After first boot, telnet to your box and execute the following commands
Code:
cd /lib/modules/2.6.18-7.4-dm800/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/
rm dvb-core/dvb-core.ko
rm frontends/stv0299.ko
cd /lib/modules/2.6.18-7.4-dm800/
rm modules.dep
depmod -a
If you have no linux expertise please be carefull with the commands, you might delete something that shouldn't be deleted.

But as I said this is just a workaround. The real solution has to come from ramiMAHER. My post is mostly for ramiMAHER to help him fix the problem.

fijo

Registered
The workaround works with my clone. For what are those two files needed? I dont use usb dvb-t.

malakudi

Registered
The workaround works with my clone. For what are those two files needed? I dont use usb dvb-t.

dvb-core.ko is the core DVB API of linux kernel. On previous version of drivers this was implemented inside kernel and bcm7401.ko . In order to use usb dvb-t tuners, DMM decided to remove dvb-core.ko functionality from bcm7401.ko and kernel and deliver it as a separate kernel module.
Because ramiMAHER uses a kernel that has internal support for DVB core, the external module cannot be loaded.

stv0299.ko is the driver for the tuner frontend. This was also implemented inside kernel and bcm7401.ko on previous versions of the drivers.

So, you actually don't need these files on ramiMAHER images because he uses a kernel with the old configuration. But if you want to use usb dvb-t tuners, this has to be fixed.

azwina

YES is really work !!
after i delete this 2 file "dvb-core.ko , stv0299.ko" , newnigma ver.5 can reboot without problem. Thank you Malakudi !! you and Ramimaher is very helpful for sim201. now all Ramimaher image already work with reboot many time without problem :thum:

Psycho1982

Registered
I have tested it and Make a backup from my Image and test on an DM800C and now Kabelbox work now TWO!!!!

ALL grate i post later my Backup from the IMAGE

Psycho1982

Registered
I have Test it on a lot of Boxes 3 Pic are from XAOXIN SHOP and the IMAGE WORKS FINE!!!

1BOX whas an DM800C BOX!!!

secaspider

Is is the Image Ramimaher nemoved the new kernel ant put the old one?, because I use it fine as well, or is the last one with kernel 7.4?
Maybe can call of confussion about the last two newnigmas 3.1.1

Last edited:

malakudi

Registered
@people who ask if usb tuner is working:

Did you read the first post of this thread? Did you understand anything about the issue?

usb dvb-t DOES NOT work, because dvb-core.ko cannot be loaded in ramiMAHER patched images. The reason is an incompatibily with the kernel.

First read, then ask ...

momi

@people who ask if usb tuner is working:

Did you read the first post of this thread? Did you understand anything about the issue?

usb dvb-t DOES NOT work, because dvb-core.ko cannot be loaded in ramiMAHER patched images. The reason is an incompatibily with the kernel.

First read, then ask ...

sorry sir