Note: Visitors from certain countries might see in-text advertising(underlind words in posts) or pop-under ads.
It is only shown to unregistered visitors or members that haven't made any posts. So you can easily get rid of it.

World-Of-Satellite

Formula 1 News

Sports News

Old 15-09-2008, 09:32  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Thanked 14,666 Times in 5,492 Posts

Vettel makes history

Hamilton's Championship lead cut to just one point

Vettel: Youngest winner

Sebastian Vettel has become the youngest ever winner of a grand prix after taking victory in the Italian GP at Monza.
The 21-year-old German driver, who claimed his first pole position in qualifying on Saturday, also took the first win for the Italian Toro Rosso team.
In a race held in wet conditions, Vettel was never challenged at the front of the field and took the chequered flag 12.5 seconds ahead of McLaren Mercedes driver Heikki Kovalainen.
BMW Sauber driver Robert Kubica took the final podium position ahead of Renault's Fernando Alonso, with the former's team-mate, Nick Heidfeld, finishing fifth.

Ferrari's Felipe Massa finished sixth ahead of McLaren's Lewis Hamilton, with Red Bull's Mark Webber claiming the final World Championship point.
Sunday's result means that Hamilton's lead in the Driver's Championship over Massa has been cut to just one point with four races - and McLaren's appeal over the result of the Belgian Grand Prix - still to come.
That both Vettel and Toro Rosso - the backmarker Minardi team prior to a Red Bull-backed buyout three years ago - were aided by the wet conditions seen throughout the weekend cannot be in doubt.

But it was a thoroughly deserved win nonetheless, both demonstrating the stronger form the Faenza-based team have shown in recent races and also confirming Vettel's status as a rising star.
The other main feature of the race was the progress of Hamilton who, after starting 15th on the grid, at one stage appeared likely to challenge for at least a podium finish before falling away during the closing laps.

Safety car

With the wet conditions meaning a rolling start behind the safety car, Vettel took advantage of clearer visibility to streak ahead - the rest of the field more circumspect in an effort to avoid any incidents.
Perhaps encumbered by the heavy fuel load he was carrying, Hamilton at first seemed the same driver who appeared to struggle during qualifying on Saturday.

He failed to make any real headway for the first 11 laps before passing Kimi Raikkonen's Ferrari - which he had earlier passed Spa-style before ceding ground - into the first Lesmo bend.
Hamilton then suddenly came to life and began to carve his way through the field, overtaking Heidfeld, Timo Glock, Kubica, Alonso and Jarno Trulli by lap 23.

Cars pitting ahead meant that the one-stopping Hamilton suddenly found himself in third place and, with rival Massa falling from third place to 12th following the first of his two scheduled stops, the Englishman appeared primed to extend his Championship lead.
Indeed, Hamilton briefly looked to be Vettel's chief rival after closing to within one second of the Toro Rosso driver ahead of his only scheduled pit stop on lap 27.

Gamble

With McLaren then gambling on more rainfall, another set of wet tyres were bolted on.
But their forecast proved incorrect and, with his rubber now overheating, an unscheduled stop for intermediates was needed on lap 37, dropping Hamilton down to 10th - two places behind Massa.
That the track was now favouring intermediate tyres dovetailed perfectly with Vettel's own second scheduled stop on the same lap.
With Kovalainen - who should really have presented more of a challenge to Vettel - comfortably running second, Kubica (who started 11th) assumed third place, becoming the first runner to make just one stop.
By now Vettel had the race in the bag and, as the race order settled into the final stint, Hamilton suddenly found himself under pressure from a newly-resurgent Webber.

The pair banged wheels at the Rettifilo chicane with three laps remaining - the Australian cutting the corner before ceding ground once more to Hamilton.
Meanwhile, Hamilton's foe from last weekend treaded water for most of the race.
Raikkonen eventually finished ninth after setting a series of fastest laps late in the race, but it was a case of too little, too late for the defending World Champion.

Vettel's team-mate, Sebastien Bourdais, endured wretched luck after qualifying fourth, an engine problem on the grid leaving him one lap down as the safety car peeled in to start the race - the Frenchman eventually finishing 18th.
With Ferrari now holding a five-point lead over McLaren in the Constructors' Championship, Vettel's win has propelled Toro Rosso to sixth place, one point ahead of 'senior' team Red Bull.

Italian Grand Prix, result:
1. Sebastian Vettel (Germany) Toro Rosso - Ferrari 1h 26:47.494
2. Heikki Kovalainen (Finland) McLaren +00:12.512
3. Robert Kubica (Poland) BMW Sauber 00:20.471
4. Fernando Alonso (Spain) Renault 00:23.903
5. Nick Heidfeld (Germany) BMW Sauber 00:27.748
6. Felipe Massa (Brazil) Ferrari 00:28.816
7. Lewis Hamilton (Britain) McLaren 00:29.912
8. Mark Webber (Australia) RedBull - Renault 00:32.048
9. Kimi Raikkonen (Finland) Ferrari 00:39.468
10. Nelson Piquet (Brazil) Renault 00:54.445
11. Timo Glock (Germany) Toyota 00:58.888
12. Kazuki Nakajima (Japan) Williams - Toyota 01:02.015
13. Jarno Trulli (Italy) Toyota 01:05.954
14. Nico Rosberg (Germany) Williams - Toyota 01:08.635
15. Jenson Button (Britain) Honda 01:13.370
16. David Coulthard (Britain) RedBull - Renault 1 lap
17. Rubens Barrichello (Brazil) Honda 1 lap
18. Sebastien Bourdais (France) Toro Rosso - Ferrari 1 lap
19. Adrian Sutil (Germany) Force India - Ferrari 2 laps
r. Giancarlo Fisichella (Italy) Force India - Ferrari 42 laps
(rank: r = retired, nc = not classified)
Fastest Lap: Kimi Raikkonen, 1:28.047, lap 53.

PosDriverPts
1 Lewis Hamilton 78 2 Felipe Massa 77 3 Robert Kubica 64 4 Kimi Raikkonen 57 5 Nick Heidfeld 53 6 Heikki Kovalainen 51 7 Fernando Alonso 28 8 Jarno Trulli 26 9 Sebastian Vettel 23 10 Mark Webber 20 11 Timo Glock 15 12 Nelson Piquet Jr 13 13 Rubens Barrichello 11 14 Nico Rosberg 9 15 Kazuki Nakajima 8 16 David Coulthard 6 17 Sebastien Bourdais 4 18 Jenson Button 3 19 Adrian Sutil 0 20 Anthony Davidson 0 21 Takuma Sato 0 22 Giancarlo Fisichella 0
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sky star 2 For This Useful Post:
Archy® (24-09-2008), empb (25-11-2012), Rocknroll (15-09-2008)
Old 16-09-2008, 13:33  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Lewis is a fighter
World Championship leader focused on title fight

Lewis Hamilton believes he is showing all his fighting instincts as his challenge for the world title goes down to the wire.

The 23-year-old drove superbly in the wet conditions of the Italian Grand Prix in Monza after starting in 15th on the grid after choosing the wrong tyres in qualifying.

Hamilton carved through the field but a mistaken weather forecast from the McLaren team meant an unscheduled pit stop for Hamilton and he could then only finish seventh.

At one stage Hamilton was in second place but despite then finishing in seventh, he was happy with his performance on the track.

Despite the conditions, Hamilton produced some scintillating overtaking moves during his charge, and he says it shows his fighting spirit.
Result

"The result was the best we could have hoped for, but it could have been a lot worse," said Hamilton.

"We could have come away with no points and been second in the championship, so to see only a few people in front of me is not so bad, and I feel positive.

"I went forward, no-one overtook me, which is always a nice thing coming out of a race. But then I very rarely do get overtaken.

"But at Monza I showed maturity and that I am a fighting force as well."

Hamilton now holds just a one-point lead over Felipe Massa in the drivers championship with just four races left as again he looks like being involved in another thrilling title race.

McLaren and Hamilton could get a points boost should the appeal against Hamilton's demotion in Belgium go their way on Monday.

Stewards in Belgium demoted Hamilton via a 25-second time penalty for cutting a corner and going ahead of Kimi Raikkonen, although the team have appealed the decision.

Hearing

The FIA International Court of Appeal will hear the case on Monday in Paris as Hamilton prepares for F1's first night race in Singapore, but he is adamant he will not be affected.

"I'm not really thinking about Paris," insisted Hamilton.

"As I've said before, I feel like I won that race, so I've not even bothered to think about it.

"What happened, happened, and I'll move on whatever the result, and then I'll focus on getting more points in the next few races.

"I'll continue to prove that. There's nothing that can put me off or bring me down.

"I certainly don't see it as a distraction, not at all. I'll leave (for Singapore) on that day, so it shouldn't be a problem at all."
The Following User Says Thank You to sky star 2 For This Useful Post:
Archy® (24-09-2008)
Old 24-09-2008, 15:05  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Hamilton appeal thrown out
Spa result stands after Hamilton appeal fails

Despite a spirited defence of his actions at the Paris tribunal, the British driver was adjudged to have cut a chicane during a duel with Finnish rival Kimi Raikkonen in the closing laps.

Race officials overturned his win and demoted Hamilton to third in the belief that he had thereby gained unfair advantage.

The five FIA International Court of Appeal judges in Paris upheld the original decision to hand down a drive-through penalty at the end of the race for a breach of Article 30.3 (a) of the 2008 FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations and Appendix L, Chapter 4, Article 2 (g) of the International Sporting Code.

The hearing ruled that Article 152 of the International Sporting Code states drive-through penalties are "not susceptible to appeal" and therefore threw out Hamilton's claim.

"Having heard the explanations of the parties the Court has concluded that the appeal is inadmissible," the FIA judges said.
Collision

The confirmation of Hamilton's third place means rival Felipe Massa of Ferrari claims a win which slashes the Briton's lead in the drivers' championship to a single point.

In giving evidence in the French capital, Hamilton reiterated his version of events as recorded in a statement given days after the race, saying he had taken the chicane to avoid a collision with Raikkonen.

"I thought I had given back the advantage that I had taken by cutting the chicane. I thought I had done what I needed to," Hamilton insisted.

McLaren chief executive Martin Whitmarsh and team engineer Phil Prew also appeared before the Paris hearing, but to no avail.

Had he won his appeal Hamilton would have been seven points clear with just four races left to go.

The Briton has 76 points, just one point ahead of Massa, with Poland's Robert Kubica, of BMW Sauber, on third with 58.
Archy® (24-09-2008)
Old 24-09-2008, 15:07  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Verdict disappoints Hamilton
British driver fully focused on title race

Lewis Hamilton insists he is "not depressed" after the FIA International Court of Appeal rejected McLaren's appeal against the retrospective penalty he received after the Belgian Grand Prix.

The ICA found that the Woking-based team had no right to challenge the ruling saying: "Article 152 of the International Sporting Code states that drive through penalties are 'not susceptible to appeal'," a statement from the FIA's Court of Appeal said on Tuesday.

Hamilton will now head into the Singapore Grand Prix with a one-point lead over Ferrari's Felipe Massa. The Brit, though, is ready to put the incident behind him.

"People will probably expect me to be depressed about today's result, but that isn't me," a statement from McLaren read.

"All I want to do now is put this matter behind me and get on with what we drivers do best: racing each other. We're racers, we're naturally competitive, and we love to overtake.

"Overtaking is difficult, and it feels great when you manage to pull off a great passing manoeuvre. If it pleases the spectators and TV viewers, it's better still. So I'm disappointed, yes, but not depressed."

McLaren CEO Martin Whitmarsh says the team will now shift their focus to the remaining four races of the season.

"We are naturally disappointed with today's verdict, and to have received no ruling on the substance of our appeal," he said.

"No-one wants to win Grands Prix in court; but we felt that Lewis had won the Belgian Grand Prix, on track, in an exciting and impressive manner.

"Our legal team and witnesses calmly explained this, as well as our belief that the appeal should be admissible, to the FIA International Court of Appeal.

"It nonetheless decided that our appeal was inadmissible. We will now concentrate on the remaining four races of the 2008 Formula 1 season."
Archy® (24-09-2008)
Old 24-09-2008, 15:34  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Whitmarsh: Justice will be served
McLaren hopeful Spa penalty will be overturned

Martin Whitmarsh is hoping to see justice served when Lewis Hamilton takes on the FIA's International Court of Appeal in Paris on Monday.

Hamilton is seeking to overturn the retrospective 25-second penalty awarded by the stewards at the end of the Belgian Grand Prix which resulted in him being demoted from race winner to third.

If McLaren are successful, Hamilton would increase his lead in the Drivers' Championship over Felipe Massa from one point to seven, whilst the team would overhaul Ferrari in the Constructors' standings by a point.

The four judges will initially determine whether McLaren's appeal is admissible as under FIA rules a drive-through penalty "is not susceptible to an appeal".
Submissions

Once that case is debated, the judges will then listen to McLaren's submissions in relation to the penalty awarded to Hamilton for 'cutting a corner and gaining an advantage'.

Ahead of the last four races, Hamilton could have a significant lead over Massa that could prove crucial come the end of the year.

Whitmarsh said: "We very much hope that will be the case, but clearly it's outside of our power. All we can do is present the facts.

"But I personally believe anyone who looks back at the race and is asked 'who deserved to win?', most people watching would say Lewis and not Felipe, who was half a minute behind.

"I'm probably slightly partisan on this, but I do actually believe that's what most people would imagine.

"We just have to present the data, and whatever the outcome is, that is the outcome.

"We are not counting on those points. We hold the lead at the moment in the Drivers' Championship by one slender point and we can expand upon that in the coming races."

The verdict is not expected until Tuesday.
Old 24-09-2008, 15:35  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Ferrari boss fears Singapore 'let down'
Overtaking fears for Scuderia boss

Ferrari President Luca di Montezemolo is concerned that Formula One's two new street races are bad for the sport.

Last month the F1 circus paid its first visit to Valencia, where the drivers raced through the streets of the port city.

However, the race offered very little overtaking, turning into nothing more than a fast-paced procession.

And this weekend's Singapore GP could, according to di Montezemolo, yield much of the same as the drivers take to the streets of the Asian city.

"I have the impression it will be another one of those let downs where you cannot overtake, like Valencia," the Italian told Reuters when asked for his impression of the Singapore race.

He added: "Going forward with these circuits heralds a bad future for Formula One.
Old 24-09-2008, 15:36  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Alonso to remain at Renault
Double world champ sets sights on Ferrari

Fernando Alonso will stay with Renault next season according to Spanish sports daily AS.

The Newspaper reported this weekend that the Spanish driver recently rejected a multi-year offer from BMW.

With at least two other teams - Renault and Honda - known to be chasing his signature Alonso was said to be unhappy with the duration of the contract.

According to AS the double world champion has one eye on a place with Ferrari and is keen to remain free to leave should a seat become available with the Italian outfit at the end of 2010.

BMW under Mario Theissen however, were unwilling to negotiate on the matter, insisting on a longer term contract.

Honda's lack of progress this season, which has seen them notch up just 14 points in as many races was also said to be a deciding factor in Alonso's unwillingness to move.

As a result the Spaniard has decided to stick with Renault for the 2009 season in the hope of a move to Ferrari as soon as a seat is vacated.
Old 24-09-2008, 15:37  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Lewis relishing the challenge
Unique challenge for F1 stars

Lewis Hamilton will be leaving no stone unturned in his preparations for next weekend's historic Singapore Grand Prix.

The island state hosts Formula One's first night race and it is the timing of the event that is all the talk, with the two practice sessions on Friday starting at 7pm and 9.30pm local time.

The qualifying session on Saturday gets under way at 10pm, whilst the race begins at 8pm, all under the most sophisticated lightning system ever produced for a sports event.

There will be almost 110,000 metres of power cables, 240 steel pylons and around 1,500 light projectors, creating illumination four times brighter than anything used at sports stadia.

For the drivers, the unusual timings mean an entirely different approach to the weekend is required, and for current Championship leader Hamilton he has put his faith in team doctor Aki Hintsa.

"Singapore is going to be a unique challenge for every member of the team," said Hamilton.

"Our doctor has prepared a very precise schedule for the drivers to stick to because all the sessions are so late in the day.

"Essentially we must not acclimatise to the local time, which is totally different to how we normally operate.

"Our training programmes ensure that over a race weekend we are at peak performance during the afternoons and as a result we are going to be staying in European time so this doesn't get disrupted.

"Apparently not acclimatising is much harder than adapting, because your body naturally wants to change.

"For the drivers, our meal, waking and sleeping rhythms will all be in European time.
Different

"For example we will get up early afternoon for breakfast, have supper at 1am and go to bed at around 3am.

"It will be very different preparation to any other race, but we'll try and do the best job we can."

Hamilton does not believe racing at night will pose any concerns, despite the fact the track is a street circuit housing 23 corners.

"The race will be quite a fun challenge, and I like a challenge!" insisted Hamilton.

"I've never raced at night before, but I don't think it is going to be a problem.

"It doesn't seem to be a problem in other sports, and there have been huge preparations for this, so I think it will be great.

"We are racing on another street circuit, which are a particular favourite of mine.

"From what I understand it is wide and fairly flowing in nature, which is not what you usually expect from a street circuit. But it sounds like it will be pretty spectacular.
Old 24-09-2008, 15:37  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Massa enjoys Mugello rain
Ferrari hope to improve wet-weather performances

Felipe Massa was grateful for the rain that fell during his Mugello test on Friday as it gave the Brazilian the chance to run on a wet track.

To date this season Ferrari have struggled in the rain compared to McLaren's Lewis Hamilton, which has cost the Scuderia vital points in the Championship campaign.

During the most recent wet race, last weekend's Italian GP, Massa started sixth on the grid and also finished the race in sixth place after battling to find the grip and pace needed to take advantage of Hamilton's disappointing qualifying performance.

In sharp contrast, though, Hamilton easily moved from 15th on the grid to finish seventh in the grand prix.

And with more wet races expected when the F1 circus heads to the Far East, Massa was grateful for the chance to test in the rain at Mugello.
Useful

"This session has been very useful," said the Ferrari driver, who is currently second in the Championship, one point behind Hamilton.

"I encountered the wet and, given that there's a chance we could experience these conditions in the coming races, that is no bad thing.

"We have done a good job and feel ready for the forthcoming Singapore Grand Prix.

"The end of the Championship will be very close and it will be vital not to make any mistakes anywhere.
Old 26-09-2008, 19:30  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Alonso's Singapore worry
Spaniard worried about turn at Singapore track

Two-time Formula One world champion Fernando Alonso says he has some concerns over one of the turns at this weekend's night time Grand Prix in Singapore.

The first night race in Formula One history will take place at the Marina Bay street circuit and there are numerous concerns over the event.

With rain arriving at the circuit only adding to worries about the race, Alonso has also voiced his concern over Turn 10 on the track - a tight chicane.

The Spaniard believes cars may be damaged at the corner, and says that it is now too late to find a satisfactory solution.

"It is not the best solution they could find I think," Alonso said.
Worried

"We worry that if we miss the chicane you miss the line and have to go over the curves.

"It could damage the chassis or the damage the car at the bottom. If you damage one car it's not a problem as you can take the T-car but if you damage two you go home.

"It is a concern at the moment but I don't know what is a better solution and I don't know if they are able to do it quickly."

Alonso and the rest of the drivers have been keeping to European time to ensure that they are at their best during the night for the big race.

Renault driver Alonso has also been walking the street circuit in the city state to avoid any nasty surprises once qualifying begins.

"It is not difficult to keep to European times," added Alonso. "I have watched films until three and then slept before waking at one in the afternoon.

Walk

"At a new circuit the first lap you walk with the team is very important as you assess the corners and try to guess what speed will be needed at that corner, where will be the breaking point and which gear you will use.

"It takes a bit longer on a new circuit than a normal lap on one you know already but it was interesting because our simulations were a little different to how it was in reality."

Alonso expects overtaking to be almost impossible this weekend, likening the task to trying to get past a driver at Monaco.

"It will be exactly the same as Monaco," he said. "On this circuit I really see no way of overtaking.