Which VPN is best for adding to a Router

SONY007

Registered
I've read that ExpressVPN works well on routers, but as I have never used it before it's hard to determine if what I have heard is more hyped up marketing rather than genuine feedback on the product.

Then there's NordVPN which apparently is a manual setup on the router and does not have an app for mobile device to allow for VPN configuration on the router like ExpressVPN.

Torgaurd, I have no idea about apart from what I've seen on youtube.

All 3 providers have their fair share of criticism on Trustpilot so that makes me wonder if it's all about their marketing strategy rather than a good service that's offered which makes them popular.

Is there a VPN provider that should always be considered 1st?

ArloG

Registered
I've been using ExpressVPN for about a year.
I use it solely on my Asus router with Merlin firmware.
There are 2 methods of setting it up on routers.
They provide a flashable firmware tailored for specific routers.
There is also the option to download an openvpn configuration file. That's what I'm using.
Their firmware just changed too many familiar tweaks that the Merlin firmware had and I was used to using.
Openvpn configs are real easy to install and I can load in multiple configs for different places all over.
To switch from lets say New York to Oslo it's as simple as logging into the router and clicking on the VPN section and turning it on. I've been happy with Express.

SONY007

Registered
I've been using ExpressVPN for about a year.
I use it solely on my Asus router with Merlin firmware.
There are 2 methods of setting it up on routers.
They provide a flashable firmware tailored for specific routers.
There is also the option to download an openvpn configuration file. That's what I'm using.
Their firmware just changed too many familiar tweaks that the Merlin firmware had and I was used to using.
Openvpn configs are real easy to install and I can load in multiple configs for different places all over.
To switch from lets say New York to Oslo it's as simple as logging into the router and clicking on the VPN section and turning it on. I've been happy with Express.

ExpressVPN was the avenue I was going to go down. Is there also an app that you can put on your phone to change the settings on your router?

ArloG

Registered
ExpressVPN was the avenue I was going to go down. Is there also an app that you can put on your phone to change the settings on your router?
Most routers have a web interface. Just type the IP in and login as usual.

ArloG

Registered
Is your VPN on 24/7 with zero dropouts ? I'm just in the process of setting mine up.
It's been very good. I use an exit that is close to me and no real problems. Using 3 different openvpn configs and really never have to switch between the main one I use.

scrotejim

Donating Member
I can recommend ProtonVPN on an annual subscription.
They are one of the few VPN providers who also have their own DNS service inbuilt.

I previously had a PureVPN subscription, but I had to use public or my ISP DNS servers.

I'm currently using a Netgear R7000 running DD-WRT.

This router is configured as a VPN Client to ProtonVPN, so
all LAN & WLAN traffic is routed via the VPN and DNS is served up directly by Proton.

DD-WRT is configurable to add a "kill-switch" so, in the event of a loss of the VPN connection, traffic through the router is not allowed.

Never had any issues for the last couple of years using it.

Last edited:

NYStan

Super VIP
Just noticed this post sorry for the late reply.

Depending on where you live and what you want to get from a VPN should determine what action you need to take.

If you don’t fear your ISP knowing what you watch or law enforcement in the country you currently live in knocking your door down then you can take a modest approach.

Just about every router has a section for programming VPN information so the router will run as a VPN. Does this make you completely safe? No many different ways for law enforcement to obtain your info.

If you fear your ISP knowing what you watch and do or law enforcement knocking your door down you need to take the most drastic action.

This is the best way to keep yourself hidden from your ISP and law enforcement.

1. You need to buy a router that will run as a separate VPN router. You will need to flash the router with DD-WRT Firmware. You will need to configure it as a VPN router. Most all VPN’s have step by step info on how to do this. You then need to configure a kill switch into the router so if the VPN server goes down it will automatically cut off your connection so you don’t get exposed. This keeps you hidden from your ISP and law enforcement.

What routers are best? It all depends on what you want to get out of the router. Here’s a few that work good with DD-WRT Firmware.

Linksys WRT1200AC
Linksys WRT1900AC
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR R7000
NETGEAR R7800

How to find the best VPN Services? You will have to check to make sure the VPN you buy has all these things before purchasing.

1. Step by step info on configuring the VPN into a DD-WRT Router.
2. 24/7 Live Chat/Technical support
3. No logs VPN servers.
3. Must have their own no logs DNS Servers.
4. Must not be based in a country such as the USA, UK, IT or ESP or any other country that abides by USA law enforcement. Don’t buy a VPN that is based in any of those countries.

Gew

Registered
My only experience is that the "free" services usually suck balls, they are slow and filled with limitations. If it's just about security it's usually enough to run a PPTP on your own home router, dd-wrt and Tomato has great implementation.