Biss Encryption

Aleck

Donating Member
Hi,

I tried to search across the forum about my question but couldn't find any so apologies if this was already discussed. BTW I hope this is the correct section.

I'm studding broadcast operations at the moment at a broadcast school.
Including Satellite Uplink and Downlink operations.
We are now studding Biss Encryption, how it works etc...

Last week we were doing some tests with feed channels encrypted in Biss.
I'm new into this Biss thing, all i know is why/when is it used and how it works.

But I've seen people around the forums able to decrypt Biss Channels with keys, this is really interesting if i could decrypt them too at home. My question is, how do people do that?

Do i need a specific hardware besides a capable Set-Top-Box?
I have an AZBox Elite HD and i know some channels that are encrypted in BISS. What do i need? Do i need a viewing card? Do i need to put something inside the slot? Or i just need to put the codes? I have the BISS plugin already installed into the AZBox. Is that enough or do i need something else to get it work?

Thanks in advance!

Aleck

Donating Member
Thanks xXTomXx!

I'm reading all of it.
But i still don't understand if i need some kind of a card to insert into the CI slot. Sorry I'm new into encryption.

java

Registered
I've also never even heard of someone studying biss keys, should be cautious with information

can you give us link of school , maybe some other member be interested to study this school

Last edited:

Aleck

Donating Member
Oh you guys caught me! Damn...

Now seriously? - I was actually thinking for about 3 minutes if i should bother answering this or not. But then i thought i didn't want to see anyone unhappy, so here it goes:

In case you guys didn't know, if you are studding television broadcast - broadcast operations - satellite downlink and uplink - you also learn how to encrypt a/v data (feeds) using professional equipment like Tandberg encoders. In this case we are encoding in BISS Mode 0,1 and mode E and will learn other ways of encryption for testing proposes. We don't study BISS keys, we study how to encrypt and decrypt a/v information using BISS keys which is quite different. There's nothing wrong about a curious student wanting to know how this works domestically.

About the school, there's loads of broadcasting schools around the world where you can attend, depending where you live and depending what field to you want to explore/learn.
My school is in the UK, Middlesex University, Television Production Course/Broadcast Operations module if you want to be a broadcast engineer.

I hope this helps your concern java. If you need more info please let me know by sending me a PM, I'll be glad to help you. :)

My initial question was answered and i successfully got to do what i wanted.

Thanks to everyone that helped me.

kebien

Registered
Oh you guys caught me! Damn...

Now seriously? - I was actually thinking for about 3 minutes if i should bother answering this or not. But then i thought i didn't want to see anyone unhappy, so here it goes:

In case you guys didn't know, if you are studding television broadcast - broadcast operations - satellite downlink and uplink - you also learn how to encrypt a/v data (feeds) using professional equipment like Tandberg encoders. In this case we are encoding in BISS Mode 0,1 and mode E and will learn other ways of encryption for testing proposes. We don't study BISS keys, we study how to encrypt and decrypt a/v information using BISS keys which is quite different. There's nothing wrong about a curious student wanting to know how this works domestically.

About the school, there's loads of broadcasting schools around the world where you can attend, depending where you live and depending what field to you want to explore/learn.
My school is in the UK, Middlesex University, Television Production Course/Broadcast Operations module if you want to be a broadcast engineer.

I hope this helps your concern java. If you need more info please let me know by sending me a PM, I'll be glad to help you. :)

My initial question was answered and i successfully got to do what i wanted.

Thanks to everyone that helped me.

Of course make sense,but you are not really understanding the "conflict of interest".
By the time you are working on the field you become "the other side",and will not want to risk the security of the feed you are putting up there.
So,you asking for help to the ones you will be eventually against.
The concern of the people using this section is WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH THE KNOWLEDGE,because it is very obvious it will affect their viewing in the future.

And yes,SERIOUSLY!!
Is not about a which hunt,is enough with the tons of undercover snitches in this forums, that now we help "educate" naive students that have no better idea than identify themselves,get the information and NEVER post again.
What does this tell you about the perception left by your post?

Aleck

Donating Member
Of course make sense,but you are not really understanding the "conflict of interest".
By the time you are working on the field you become "the other side",and will not want to risk the security of the feed you are putting up there.
So,you asking for help to the ones you will be eventually against.
The concern of the people using this section is WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH THE KNOWLEDGE,because it is very obvious it will affect their viewing in the future.

And yes,SERIOUSLY!!
Is not about a which hunt,is enough with the tons of undercover snitches in this forums, that now we help "educate" naive students that have no better idea than identify themselves,get the information and NEVER post again.
What does this tell you about the perception left by your post?

I understand 100% the reasons why you are saying that, maybe i would react the same way as you do but:

What makes you think i will never post again? If that was the case i wouldn't be here reading your comment and i wouldn't be supporting this forum. Before I'm "the other side" I'm an average internet user with the same interest and desires you have about the satellite world. Is there a problem? Because of that i shouldn't participate on forums? Maybe exchanging knowledge and experiences? Have you ever thought of that?

I can assure you there's no risk for the feeds whatsoever. That's the way it works.
I'm not an enemy, i intent to stay on this forum as a regular member and not as a visitor.
I'm not the one who makes the rules and who decides what people should see on TV for free or not. Maybe those guys are the people that are against your activities, not me, i don't care.
I myself download movies and TV shows from the web without paying, and guess what, so does the people that works in the industry (i know what I'm talking about).

If i wanted to use your knowledge to do something that would affect you in the future don't you think i wouldn't mention what i do professionally? Think about it... If someone wants to do that believe me they already did it by other means and you didn't even notice.

Sorry to disappoint you but you are having the wrong impression about me.

Last edited:

kebien

Registered
I was just explaining how your post and presence was perceived by members.
I am not disappointed,believe me,I hope is how you say and you keep posting and supporting the forum in any way you can.
The things said are all relevant to the members here,and there are some different conclusions made up from what is posted,but one thing is a fact : just pay attention to the reaction of some members that are worried about certain information falling in the wrong hands,as it always was.
I have nothing against you,and want to invite you to share what you are learning in the school about this subject,and how it compare to what you learn from here.
Many members will also be interested in topics you know and can share.