Viark Sat 4k

Offtensive

Registered
Hi,

Complete newbie too this, will be setting up a Viark Sat 4K box later today. I just have a few questions as I don’t want to brick my box.

Is it just a case downloading the firmware and updating it via usb?
Is there an option on the menu to update it from the usb, and will any usb drive do or are there specific sizes and brands?
Finally, do I need to reset it to factory settings first or can I just go ahead and update the firmware?

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
Install the firmware via USB yes best way.

Yes menu then USB and games to upload the new firmware.

No need to factory reset just upload the firmware.

Offtensive

Registered
Install the firmware via USB yes best way.

Yes menu then USB and games to upload the new firmware.

No need to factory reset just upload the firmware.

Cheers, do I need to register the serial number of my box anywhere?

barney115

Donating Member
Staff member
Administrator
Cheers, do I need to register the serial number of my box anywhere?
No there is no need whatsoever .
everything will be ready to go just need to scan your satellites and you are good to go :thum:

Offtensive

Registered
So I’m only getting channels on Vertical transponders. When I switch to a horizontal, my signal strength is 92% but the quality drops down to 0%.

I’ve got a Zone 1 dish and a quad output hybrid sky q lnb. My old Sky HD and my Zgemma work with any one of the 4 lnb outputs.

I did try the box with another output/port from the lnb too this morning, so can rule out it being the cable.

I have tried the ZGemma with the same connection from the lnb, and FTA channels (V & H) are working fine, so I think I can rule out the LNB.

I had done some searching around, and found some old stuff on google about Openbox/Skybox having similar issues. Apparently it was down to H requiring higher voltage than V.

I’ve tried switching the LNB power from 13V/18V to 18V, but it still didn’t work.

Any ideas will be welcome

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
Did it work when you first flashed it ?

If so reflash it see if it helps.

If not it could be the LNB is power hungry and the viark carnt cut it but say that id the Zgemma can the Viark can.

delboy123

Registered
If its a hybrid LNB only Sly Q will work with the wideband output. Your old box or zgemma won't work with all 4 outputs, just the legacy ones.
Double check you have connected your Viark to the correct LNB output.
Also what amp power supply are you using?

Offtensive

Registered
I'm not sure if I have used the correct term, saying Hybrid LNB. As the ZGemma H9S works fine, surprisingly, with any output from the LNB. I tried it the other week by using the feed that normally goes to the Q and had no issues.

I'm using a 12V 1.5A EU power supply, with an EU to UK adapter.

delboy123

Registered
A zgemma will not work properly with a wideband LNB. Some channels may have worked but not all of them.

With a wideband LNB, one port carries all Horizontal frequencies and the other Vertical.
The problem you are having now only getting V channels indicates to you being connected to a wideband output.

Last edited:

barney115

Donating Member
Staff member
Administrator
TOO Much juice ...mine is 8 volt 1.0 Amp .
that could well be your issue perhaps ??

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
Is your LNB a unicable LNB mate ?

If it is change it to Unicable in the installation menu if your not sure change it from Universal to Unicable anyway and see.

Offtensive

Registered
Is your LNB a unicable LNB mate ?

If it is change it to Unicable in the installation menu if your not sure change it from Universal to Unicable anyway and see.

Possibly unicable, I’m not sure tbh

Do I need to adjust any of the other settings too? I’ve tried blinds scans on unicable a and b to no avail. With each option a, b, c, and d, signal strength is 90% but quality is 0%.

manic01

Super VIP
If quality is zero you won't pull anything in.
Find a port the zgemma works on H/V and then try the viark on that.

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
Possibly unicable, I’m not sure tbh

Do I need to adjust any of the other settings too? I’ve tried blinds scans on unicable a and b to no avail. With each option a, b, c, and d, signal strength is 90% but quality is 0%.

What sky boxes are installed on that dish it may give us a clue as to what LNB is on it. It may be hydbrid

manic01

Super VIP
If you scan only V channels take a look at the tp and see if its correct if its a q lnb then they will be out

Sky LNB non-Q has local oscilator frequency of 9.75GHz for low band (plus 10.6GHz for high band)
Sky Q LNB has just 10.41 GHz.

The "error" introduced by using a Q LNB on a non-Q receiver is that low band 10.41-9.75GHz i.e. 0.66GHz. Thus satellite signals at 11.479GHz will appear at 11.479 - 0.66GHz, i.e. 10.819GHz due to the local oscilator being "wrong" by 0.66GHz.
The 0.001GHz between this and 10.818GHz is well within AFC correction range.

So if for example you scanned 10817 for bbc you get the channels on 11479 vox africa etc.

Last edited:

Offtensive

Registered
If you scan only V channels take a look at the tp and see if its correct if its a q lnb then they will be out

Sky LNB non-Q has local oscilator frequency of 9.75GHz for low band (plus 10.6GHz for high band)
Sky Q LNB has just 10.41 GHz.

The "error" introduced by using a Q LNB on a non-Q receiver is that low band 10.41-9.75GHz i.e. 0.66GHz. Thus satellite signals at 11.479GHz will appear at 11.479 - 0.66GHz, i.e. 10.819GHz due to the local oscilator being "wrong" by 0.66GHz.
The 0.001GHz between this and 10.818GHz is well within AFC correction range.

So if for example you scanned 10817 for bbc you get the channels on 11479 vox africa etc.

I just went up there and had a look, its a 6 port Hybrid EL010 LNB.

I had left the box off for an hour or so, and with no channels on 28.2e, I've manually added a H one and it seems to be working.

One issue I think I have is, even when I do a blind search, I'm missing quite a few transponders.

With respect to the above message, do I need to adjust any settings for LNB type or can I just leave it as universal?

delboy123

Registered
As long as you are connected to a legacy port then just leave it as Universal.
When scanning select the option to delete all TP/Sat data then do a full blind scan of 28.2e.

Offtensive

Registered
As long as you are connected to a legacy port then just leave it as Universal.
When scanning select the option to delete all TP/Sat data then do a full blind scan of 28.2e.

Thanks, when it asks do a network search, should that be no?

Also, can I delete all my channels somehow without doing a factory reset? I had downloaded a channel list, to try to see if that solved the issue, but I've got a lot that are of no use to me.