Damn Small Linux

Rocknroll

Staff member
Administrator
What is Damn Small Linux, a.k.a. DSL?

DSL is a very versatile 50MB mini desktop oriented Linux distribution.

Damn Small is small enough and smart enough to do the following things:

* Boot from a business card CD as a live linux distribution (LiveCD)
* Boot from a USB pen drive
* Boot from within a host operating system (that's right, it can run *inside* Windows)
* Run very nicely from an IDE Compact Flash drive via a method we call "frugal install"
* Transform into a Debian OS with a traditional hard drive install
* Run light enough to power a 486DX with 16MB of Ram
* Run fully in RAM with as little as 128MB (you will be amazed at how fast your computer can be!)
* Modularly grow -- DSL is highly extendable without the need to customize

Current version 3.0.1, screenshots:
View attachment 3611 View attachment 3612

Current RC version: 3.1RC3, screenshot:
View attachment 3613

Downloads:

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/download.html

Rocknroll

Staff member
Administrator
Hi Rocknroll

For look patition of Windows , are you any ides ?

Thanx ;)

I am not sure I understand your question. But if you are asking to create a partition for linux on windows then I suggest you use partition magic software.

saboo

Registered
Thank you for your consideration

My question is to know how to see the Windows partition with Damn Linux

Rocknroll

Staff member
Administrator
Thank you for your consideration

My question is to know how to see the Windows partition with Damn Linux

Well it should be same on any linux. Here is some explaination by Nerderello:

Question:
I have WinXP installed on one partition of my 1st HD, and RedHat installed on the 2nd partition on the 1st HD. I have a ton of music on the 2nd HD. Can I access that HD through RedHat so I can listen to the music through the music player?

Answer:
The way to get a hold of your second drive, or ANY disk, is to mount it.

What mounting entails is :-
1) Using the 'mount' command (as either the root user or as 'su -')
2) Accessing the drive (partition, CDROM, floppy, etc. etc.) as just yet another set of sub-directories (folders).

So, what do you need to do?
First setup a sub-directory onto which you will be mounting your 2nd hard disk. This entails using the 'mkdir /mnt/secondharddisk' command (again as root/su -). Obviously you can name the mount point (as this sub-srectory is called) as anything you want (/mnt/eric or /mnt/musicfiles ...).

Once you have a sub-directory (only need to do this once) you can mount your partion onto it (you should find - a quick 'ls /mnt -alF' will show you - that you have several sub-directories already in /mnt . The standard ones are /mnt/floppy and /mnt/cdrom. I let you guess what should be mounted onto those ). I say "partition" rather than disk, as you will be mounting partions (which could be your entire disk), and that can include your XP partion.

To mount a partition you need to know the device name of your partion. These are called /dev/hd plus a letter and a number. So, the 1st partition of your first drive is called /dev/hda1 the second is called /dev/hda2 the third /dev/hda3 ... You get the drift. Now comes the slightly odd bit. Your second disk drive might be on the same IDE cable as your first disk drive, in which case the partions, on your second disk drive, are called /dev/hdb1 /dev/hdb2 /dev/hdb3 etc. However, you may find that your CDROM is the second (of two) device on your first IDE (white ribbon) cable. In which case the CDROM will be called /dev/hdb1 . If, as I have, you're second hard disk is on your second IDE cable, then it is called (assuming that it is set as the master and not the slave on the IDE) /dev/hdc1 through to however many partions you have.

So, back to the mount command. As root or su - you need to enter 'mount' followed by the device name followed by the mount point (sub-diretcory). so, if your second hard disk is the master on your second IDE (white ribbon) cable and you wanted the first partition, you would enter 'mount /dev/hdc1 /mnt/musicfiles' (where /mnt/musicfiles is the name of the sub-directory you created earlier [see above]). You may have to include a '-t' parameter in the mount command, as Linux may not detect the file system correctly (command -t are vfat for windows stuff, ext2 or ext3 for Linux stuff).

Now you have your disk mounted, you can access it via the mount point (/mnt/musicfiles), where all of the usual sub-directories (folders) can be found.

Be of a pain, having to do this mount command every time you boot, isn'y it. So edit your /etc/fstab file and add all of the partitions that you want to be mounted at boot up.

have fun

Or you can visit red hat's guide explaining that issue at:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7-Manual/getting-started-guide/s1-q-and-a-windows.html

saboo

Registered
Ok thanx for replie

I have Linux ubuntu and i use this method for access on patition wondows.

But what is it method with Damn Small Linux for acces on partition windows on terminal ?

Thanx for replie.

Excuse me for my bad english ;)

Rocknroll

Staff member
Administrator
I've never used Damn Small Linux, but I imagine that mounting procedure is same as with any other linux, like ubuntu.

saboo

Registered
Thanx rocknroll for all replies

This method don't work

on Ubuntu i apply this method :
For my partition D:\ <--- on windows

root@saboo-desktop:/home/saboo# mount /dev/hda5 /media/windows_d/

and

root@saboo-desktop:/home/saboo# mount /dev/hda6 /media/windows_d/

After this all command I access on partition windows

Thanx man for help ! ;)

feixen

Registered
latest
dsl v3.4.12

Change log:

* Updated minirt24.gz to support knoppix_dir=xxx and toram option.
* New boot floppy with the same change.
* Fixed bug in cpanel to stop ssh server.
* Changed .bash_profile to eliminate extra shell
* Fixed bug in kdbconfig
* Modified nfs-common to also start portmap for better nfs support.
* Deleted /usr/bin/groups - it requires gnu-utils which it is now a part of.
* Fixed permission on fusermount rwsr-x--x
* Fixed path error in /opt/monkey-0.9.21/cgi-bin/test.lua
* Deleted extraneous line in .fluxbox/menu
* Corrected link for ls

Download at:

this nice Klick --->