Reset root password on a DB 500

soeme

Registered
works for dm500 hd also?

how can i remove the root password from my dm500hd? a cardshare do that :(

Easy...

Simply mount you PC with you dreambox....(search internet for guides if you don't know how)

Put the attachment file in the folder shared in you PC

Use restore backup (browse to folder mounted)

DONE ****> you password restored to default :thum:

Recycled

Registered
I've just used StanMT's method on a DM500 I've been struggling with for months and it works, it works really well.
All I can suggest is backup you image with DreamUp then send that image to a mate who perhaps might have a little more Linux knowledge than you. Get him to load it on to a Dreambox and then follow StanMT's method. remember not all the commands Stan gives are the same in every image so in some instances you have to experiment but believe me - IT WORKS, Thanks StanMT.

spirospit

Registered
As others before me have already said, to solve your problem you need Tuxbox Commander which unfortunately you cannot access. So, first you should take a Backup of your Flash Image with Dreamup (which is the only software that can connecet and work at the present moment in time with your DM500). Then, after rebooting, I would delete Tuxbox Commander from the Plugins on your Image and re-install it from the Blue Panel and see whether then you can have access to Tuxbox Commander. If yes, you will be able to reset your password.

where i send to you my backup

zapatistas

Registered
same problem here. i don t know the root pass and its not the default and i cannot enter though the 192.etc at my dreambox dm500... also i cannot download the tuxcom cause it fails... i tried everything...

Zoorg

Registered
Unfortunately I havent been successful changing the password on a DM500 using password switcher :( yet.

I have mount a share (following the instructions in this thread) on my PC and its found using TuxBox Commander, but the case is that I want to do this whitout TuxBox Comander.
That is in case I stumble over a Dreambox that is locked by an unknown password. Then I can not install anything if the link to download servers are missing or faulty.

Also, even using Tuxbox Commander browsing to automount\nfs
I still can not execute the password switcher.
I mark it , press Execute and it starts to Execute, but stops after a few % and then nothing happens.....