No signal??

montana16

Registered
Thanks to all who read this...

I am a long time C-bander but I have come across an issue I cannot figure out. I have a 10 ft fiberglass dish with a Titanium C/Ku band LNB. Everything has been working for years. I use DVB Dream on my PC and pretty much could get anything on 55 w to 139 w. Anyway, the other day we has some pretty nasty storms and I came home and tried to watch some satellite. The signal was coming and going often and was unwatchable. I just thought it was because of the storm so I waited until the next day. A lot of rain on the ground where dish sits but skies are clear. No signal at all. I took out one of those old cheap buzzing signal meters and put it inline. It lights up when my Titanium ASC1 dish mover is on. Tells me I have connection from house to dish. I moved dish around manually trying to get a blip on the needle but couldn't get anything. Maybe lnb is bad. I don't have another one so is there a way to check the lnb or is there another issue I may be missing? Any help would be appreciated.

Venko

Feed Hunter
Maybe there is a water in the LNB and/or arpound (the cable). Please check up the connector. And wait 1-2 hot days. But the main problem is the LNB. Each thunder very close can "burn" it (I had the same problem a few years ago). Good luck! :thum:

montana16

Registered
After getting my hands on another lnb, everything works. Another thing I noticed while working on the dish is that at 6:20 pm, a very low flying Fedex plane comes right down the line if I am pointed at 127 w. So much so that it was nearly deafening working on the lnb in place. I am going to make sure that I am not on 127 w in the early evening. Might not have anything to do with it but my thinking is the more south the dish is aimed, the less chance of picking up things like thunder and gunshots and planes because it would be pointed more up and not across the horizon.

luca93

Registered
After getting my hands on another lnb, everything works. Another thing I noticed while working on the dish is that at 6:20 pm, a very low flying Fedex plane comes right down the line if I am pointed at 127 w. So much so that it was nearly deafening working on the lnb in place. I am going to make sure that I am not on 127 w in the early evening. Might not have anything to do with it but my thinking is the more south the dish is aimed, the less chance of picking up things like thunder and gunshots and planes because it would be pointed more up and not across the horizon.

regarding gunshots I have no idea bro heh, but anyways if a bad storm comes what I would worry about more is the wind...which can cause really bad damages.
So, just make sure in case of really windy days you don't move your dish to your extreme West or East.
Anyways if your dish is pointed correctly since years as you are saying then installation is perfectly done.

For what it's worth, if a lightning comes down near your dish there's nothing you can do...you always risk of frying your LNB and also whatever device/stb is connected to it.