C-Band Sat ID with Enigma2

ArloG

Registered
I've wondered this for awhile and don't know if there is a plugin or image that supports it.

Using chinabox receivers. Linkbox and Dreamlink. When you're searching for satellites and lock onto one you get a clear indication of the actual satellite in setup windows.

Is not being able to see sat ID's using E2 receivers a limitation of the software? Sometimes when setting up diseqc motor controllers I've bypassed 2 degree spaced sats or thought I was aimed at the correct one until I do a scan.

Anyone?

ArloG

Registered
No not PID. The tuner setup screen and others will show the actual satellite name when locked. Independent of the sat that you are intending to peak signal on. Chinabox users will know what I mean.

ro_54

Registered
openvix image does support this feature in vu+ receiver at least. do not know about other receivers.

kebien

Registered
Not sure what kind of feature is this one.
Tuners do not know which satellite they are aimed to.
In firmware,you could "make a guess" of what satellite you are aimed to by comparing a preset list of trasponders to the ones found in a blind search.
Some satellites have beacons that tell what satellites you are aiming to,but not all of them.

Let me understand : searching for satellites is the action where the mover moves the dish until it finds a signal,like a monterey receiver do.I doubt this china boxes are able to search for satellites.

If you mean searching for trasponders,it is possible it findas a lock and search the receiver's datatabase until it finds a match/matches and display which satellite it suppose to be.
Is this the feature you are looking for in enigma?
BTW,you can do most everything in enigma 2.
It has a preset list of satellites and transponders you can customize.

Last edited:

ArloG

Registered
This is a bit incorrect.
"Tuners do not know which satellite they are aimed to."
Take for example my Dreamlink and Linkbox receivers.

If I setup the tuner to look for a signal on a particular transponder on a certain satellite that is 2 degrees apart from one that shares the same transponder settings (frequency, sr, fec).
If I aim at that intended satellite and hit it dead on, the receiver will display for example 127W Galaxy 13 LOCKED.
It will show signal strength and quality.

If I nudge the dish to its neighbor, 125W Galaxy 14, and it has the same transponder configuration. It will indeed display 125W Galaxy 14.

In a dual LNB setup with a switch and the LNB's are aimed at those sats, simply changing the diseqc switch setting will immediately show the sat assigned to the port.

I hope this clears things up.

There is a satellite identification signal embedded in the signal that tells the demodulator who it is.
If Vix actually does this independent what is in the satellites.xml file, there must be a module that picks out that part of the signal.

I actually used one of the chinabox receivers when setting up my actuator system because it cleared up what I was actually aimed at without doing a scan and comparing channels from charts.

kebien

Registered
No, it is not incorrect.
I said satellites have beacons that carry information about the satellite to read the information from.
Maybe those receivers have the beacon list and can extract the information.
Of course is also possible to do it with enigma 2,but usefulness is the key factor,it require some coding and might not be as appealing than other projects.

A question,what happen when the signal is really low,can still show the satellite name?

ArloG

Registered
As long as the tuner setup screen shows LOCK. The same signal level where a picture can be received.

ro_54

Registered
Do you happen to have a screen shot showing it?

trying to upload screen shot and got this bullshit message:
"You have exceeded the number of files allowed to you"
how can we help each other if only few have unlimited upload files rights ?!?!?

ArloG

Registered
I usually just use something like wetransfer and call it a day.
Upload your files and it gives a link.

ro_54

Registered
i do not have any accounts for uploading. i have to many other accounts for more important things and i get all kind of non related promotions junks.

ArloG

Registered
Dude that's the beauty. It's free. You select a file from your pc, it gives you a link. Try it. I dare you. You can do it!
You're gritting your teeth, pissing an moaning. It's just that easy!

https://wetransfer.com/

ro_54

Registered
HERE IT IS

Code:
https://ibb.co/VgcPqZd
VgcPqZd

Last edited:

ArloG

Registered
I see your image. But.
What happens if you find 2 identical transponders on different satellites. It says you're on 55W. So find a different sat with the same transponder settings. Do nothing but steer the dish manually to that sat so you get a signal.
See if the 55W changes to that satellite.
If you're in between sats and you lose signal, that 55W should go away.

ro_54

Registered
That is correct: same tp, on diff sat shows the correct sat #.
moving the dish away from the sat pos, clears the # of last sat.

ro_54

Registered
I see your image. But.
What happens if you find 2 identical transponders on different satellites. It says you're on 55W. So find a different sat with the same transponder settings. Do nothing but steer the dish manually to that sat so you get a signal.
See if the 55W changes to that satellite.
If you're in between sats and you lose signal, that 55W should go away.
here it is the proof
https://ibb.co/3vzdDVf
https://ibb.co/XVk0jPN