Latest La Liga News

sky star 2

Super VIP
BARCA AGREE MAXWELL FEE

Barcelona have reached an agreement with Inter Milan to sign Brazilian defender Maxwell for a fee which could rise to 5million euros (£4.2m).

The 27-year-old, who has been with Inter since 2006, will fill the left-back spot at the Nou Camp, vacated by the departure of Sylvinho earlier this summer.

A statement on Barcelona's official website tonight read: "Barcelona and Inter Milan have agreed in principle the transfer of the Brazilian player Maxwell. The price of the transfer would be of 4.5million euros, with 0.5m more dependent on variables."

Should the transfer go through, former Ajax man Maxwell would be the first signing of the summer for the Champions League winners.

While arch rivals Real Madrid have already splashed out over 200million euros on Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka, Karim Benzema and Raul Albiol, the Catalans have been quiet on the transfer front.

David Villa has been linked with a move to the club, but Barcelona president Joan Laporta insists they will not break the bank to get him, revealing they have other options lined up if they fail in their bid to land the Valencia striker.

The treble winners have already made an offer for Villa but reports suggest it is significantly less than the 50million euros Valencia are demanding.

And Laporta has revealed they will turn their attention elsewhere if Los Che refuse to back down.

"We're not going to spare no expense," he said.

"Villa is a player who could interest us in certain conditions but if those aren't met, we have to activate other equally valid options and evaluate which of those are more fitting to the conditions we are interested in."

sky star 2

Super VIP
SALGADO SEES RONALDO AS KEY TO GLORY

Real Madrid veteran Michel Salgado believes Cristiano Ronaldo will take the club to new heights.

Ronaldo is with his new team-mates on a nine-day tour of Ireland and could be set to play his first game for Madrid on Monday against Shamrock Rovers.

Salgado has been impressed by the FIFA World Player of the Year following his world-record move from Manchester United.

"He is like an aeroplane," said the defender. "He gives Madrid height, dribbling and speed.

"He's a jump in quality.

"He is one of the top 10 in world football and there's always room for these players here, that's why we have to be proud that he is at Madrid."

Madrid have spent over 200 million euros on Ronaldo, Kaka, Raul Albiol and Karim Benzema since Florentino Perez returned to the presidency in June.

Their summer spending spree looks set to continue with Bayern Munich winger Franck Ribery and Liverpool's Xabi Alonso apparently next on the shopping list.

Salgado is unsure if Madrid will succeed in their bid for the pair but would love to be able to count on the Spain midfielder as one of his team-mates.

"I don't know if Ribery will come, he is caught up in a small war with Bayern and it is better not to talk about the matter," added Salgado.

"I prefer to talk about Cristiano who is already ours and who will bring a very high level to Real Madrid.

"Xabi can bring us direction, calmness, and long and short passes. With quality and precision.

"He is a calm man who lives for and through football and would be important for this Real Madrid, but until he is a Real Madrid player we can't talk more."

sky star 2

Super VIP
AGENT: ETO'O PLEASED BY INTER LINK

Barcelona striker Samuel Eto'o is honoured to be linked with a swap move involving Inter Milan's Zlatan Ibrahimovic, according to his agent.

Eto'o is expected to leave the Nou Camp this summer and was the subject of interest from Manchester City before the Premier League club ended their pursuit.

Inter have now emerged as favourites to sign the Cameroon international, with boss Jose Mourinho a long-term admirer, while Ibrahimovic, who has been the subject of talks with Barca, could move in the opposite direction.

Eto'o's representative, Jose Mesalles, is now set to travel to Italy for discussions next week as a potential transfer, which could also include Alexander Hleb, edges closer.

And the 27-year-old is said to be flattered by admiration from the Giuseppe Meazza, with Mesalles telling Ona Fm radio: "The club from Milan is a very important one.

"We cannot be anything but honoured, but I cannot say anything.

"These type of negotiations cannot be done over the phone and must be made in person."

sky star 2

Super VIP
ALONSO FLATTERED BY REAL INTEREST

Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso has admitted he is flattered to be linked with a move to Real Madrid.

Big-spending Real have been courting Alonso all summer as they look to rebuild their squad after a disappointing campaign last term.

Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka, Karim Benzema and Raul Albiol have already arrived at the Bernabeu this summer and Alonso is the next player in Real president Florentino Perez's sights.

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez is determined to keep Alonso as he plots another assault on the Premier League title this season.

Real are believed to be unwilling to meet Liverpool's current valuation of Alonso, but they are refusing to give up their pursuit of the playmaker.

Alonso admits he would be interesting in joining Perez's revolution, but insists he will not try and force the issue by asking for a transfer.

"It's always a great feeling when Madrid want you, especially considering the phase of the career I am in now," Alonso told AS.

"But at this point, as I have always said, whether or not that can happen is not up to me. It's a matter that involves three parties, including myself.

"I do not like to force the issue. I prefer to talk.

"Madrid's project is certainly impressive. But beyond that, I can't tell you anything else."

Alonso will hold talks with Benitez over his future during Liverpool's pre-season training camp in Austria.

"I will talk to him, sure, but the first thing to do when I arrive [in Austria] is to greet him," he professed.

"But I imagine that in the next few days, there will be time for all that, even though in reality, there's nothing in particular to talk to Rafa about. It's the clubs who have to negotiate to reach an agreement."

Asked why Liverpool had rejected Real's initial overtures, Alonso said: "I am not the man who can answer these questions.

"The truth is that I cannot say much, because every little thing can be misinterpreted. And I do not know how things will turn out either because I am not a fortune teller."

sky star 2

Super VIP
MANICHE SET FOR COLOGNE

Cologne are set to sign Maniche after agreeing personal terms with the Portugal international midfielder.

The 31-year-old former Inter Milan and Chelsea man is available on a free transfer after being released by Atletico Madrid last season.

Maniche has agreed personal terms with the Bundesliga outfit, meaning only a successful medical stands between him and finalising his transfer.

The Portuguese midfielder will link up with former Benfica team-mate Petit and will become the club's second signing this summer following the return of Lukas Podolski from Bayern Munich.

"We have reached an agreement with the player and will be signing Maniche, if the medical is successful," general manager Michael Meier told kicker Sportmagazin.

sky star 2

Super VIP
OLIVEIRA HEADING FOR ABU DHABI

Real Betis forward Ricardo Oliveira has confirmed he is set to move to Al Jazira after the United Arab Emirates side made him an "offer I couldn't refuse".

Reports in the Middle East suggest the Brazilian is set to make the move from Spain for a UAE record 14million euros.

The fee would be divided between Betis - who were relegated last season - and Oliveira's former club Real Zaragoza, where the Brazil international played from 2007 until January of this year.

Oliveira, who is still in Jerez with Betis for pre-season training, was quoted as saying in Spanish newspaper Marca: "We're here to make an important decision, and it's on an offer I couldn't refuse.

"It's an offer that will also benefit Betis and Zaragoza, my former club, who have also been instrumental in moving this deal forward."

Oliveira claimed the decision to move to the Middle East was not an easy one, but admitted the opportunity proved too good to resist.

"It was a difficult decision to make, but an important one. I think this was the opportune moment for me and my family," he continued.

"It'll be an important deal and it's also good for Betis. Zaragoza have also been keen for this deal to be done.

"These are unique opportunities which don't come along again and, thinking about my family and after speaking with them, I had to make this decision."

He is thought to be set to put pen to paper on a three-year deal with the Abu Dhabi club.

He will join up with compatriot Rafael Sobis, who also previously played with Betis.

sky star 2

Super VIP
LAPORTA DEFENDS ZLATAN DEAL

Barcelona president Joan Laporta has defended the club's attempts to sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic and insisted the money involved is not comparable to that splashed out by Real Madrid this summer.

Madrid have spent over 200million euros bringing in Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka, Karim Benzema and Raul Albiol while so far it has been much quieter at the Nou Camp where they have only signed Maxwell.

Barca are now set to complete their own big-money deal as they have agreed a fee with Inter Milan of 45million euros plus Samuel Eto'o for Ibrahimovic. Alexander Hleb will also join Inter on loan.

However, Laporta claims the Catalans' transfer policy is still much different to their bitter rivals.

"It's a different sort of deal, because it's based around different financial amounts, which are fairly reasonable," he said.

"And because it also involves the sale and the loan deal of a player that we were working on before this deal. It's not a very expensive deal.

"It's come about from talent and hard work."

Laporta also revealed that the club had decided to part ways with Eto'o even before he met his Inter counterpart Massimo Moratti.

He added: "As a result of a conversation that I had with Eto'o before my meeting with Moratti, we understood that it was time to look for a team for him and 24 hours later the possibility of going to Inter came up.

"Eto'o will go to a club where they will also treat him with respect."

Reports suggest Eto'o's agent is currently in talks with Inter and the deal could be completed shortly.

Laporta, who confirmed the clubs are set to hold talks with the players, admitted he did not know what would happen if Eto'o decided not to move to the San Siro.

"It's a scenario that we're not contemplating at the moment," he said.

"We have come to an agreement with Inter about the fee and we are waiting for Inter to come to an agreement with Eto'o and us with Ibrahimovic.

"I talked to Eto'o after the meeting with Moratti that night and then Inter talked with his agent and Mourinho talked to Eto'o."

Laporta also admitted he is at a loss as to why Valencia striker David Villa's move to the Nou Camp collapsed.

He said: "Incomprehensibly, our offer was not accepted by Valencia.

"We had information that said that the player had word that, for a determined amount, he could leave the club.

"And Barca offered this amount and more. That's why I say incomprehensibly."

Speculation has been rife since the end of the campaign that Barca coach Pep Guardiola, who transfer listed Eto'o last summer, was not keen on the Cameroon international.

And the treble-winning coach has confirmed he feels Eto'o has to go.

"I am convinced that the best thing for Barca is for Eto'o to leave," said Guardiola. "Could I be mistaken? Maybe so.

"But I am here to make these decisions.

"I feel that it is best for the club and the team. It's a question of feelings.

"I am not here to change anyone's character, but I can decide on which players I want to count on for the season.

"After what we won, we had to change the dressing room. I took this decision from my experience as a footballer."

sky star 2

Super VIP
FABIANO MILAN BID TOO LOW

Luis Fabiano will not be joining AC Milan unless the Italian giants up their offer, according to the player's agent.

Jose Fuentes claims Sevilla turned down a 14million euro offer from Milan last week for the striker, who has a £26million release clause and is under contract with the Spanish side for another two seasons.

"Milan made a 14million euros offer, a figure that was not enough to acquire the striker," said Fuentes.

"This figure undervalues the player and hence it cannot be accepted. Sevilla have every reason for not wanting to accept this offer.

"We now await to see if Milan will make a second offer for Luis Fabiano.

"But if Milan do not increase their bid it's clear that the Rossonero club are not interested in Fabiano."

The Brazil forward, who finished as the top scorer in the Confederations Cup last month, had been keen on joining the Rossoneri.

"We are not angry, we are just disappointed," said Fuentes.

"We are not worried because life goes on but we are saddened because the player had made his mind up about going to Milan.

"Milan said they wanted him but the likelihood is that he will not go there because they have not made a second offer so far."

sky star 2

Super VIP
MALAGA ADMIT TAARABT DEFEAT

Primera Liga outfit Malaga have admitted defeat in their efforts to sign Adel Taarabt on loan from Tottenham.

The Spanish side had been hoping to land the midfielder on a season-long agreement, but have failed to reach an agreement with Spurs.

With negotiations having broken down, Malaga have decided to turn their attentions elsewhere.

"This option is now totally closed and the club is working in other areas," said club president Fernando Sanz.

sky star 2

Super VIP
BENITEZ SWERVES ALONSO ISSUE

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has refused to be drawn on the future of midfielder Xabi Alonso but did rule out any potential move for Spain international David Villa.

Alonso has been the subject of sustained interest from Real Madrid and the 27-year-old was quoted in the Spanish press as indicating he would be keen on a return to his homeland.

The free-spending Spanish giants are reportedly eager for a swift conclusion to a mooted £30million deal but Benitez, who confirmed Alonso is part the Reds squad embarking on a two-match tour of Thailand and Singapore, underlined he will not be leaving the club any time soon.

"Xabi Alonso is here with us so he will be available," he said.

"One thing that you need to understand is the Spanish press. The future of Xabi Alonso is to enjoy here with the people of Thailand and the weather and the game. The next week he will be here."

Benitez also revealed he has no plans to discuss the situation with the player, who signed a five-year deal in June 2007 and proved one of Liverpool's key performers last term, ahead of Wednesday night's game against Thailand in Bangkok.

"We'll talk about tactics and the game and try to enjoy our football," he added.

One player who will not be arriving at Anfield, however, is David Villa.

The prolific Valencia striker has been periodically linked with the Merseyside club and the prospect of recreating his partnership with countryman Fernando Torres in the Premier League was one to savour.

But Benitez emphatically ruled out any approach for the 27-year-old.

"David Villa, he is not our target," he stressed.

Defender Glen Johnson is the only significant piece of business to have been completed so far this summer after joining from Portsmouth but Benitez hinted there could be further big-name arrivals ahead of the August 31 transfer deadline.

"We have already signed Johnson, an international for England. He is a good signing and Andriy Voronin is coming back, he was one of the best players in the German league, so we have two good additions. You never know in football, we still have some time and we need to keep working on other names," he said.

"We have fantastic players and hopefully we can keep the level of last year and see with one or two additions we could improve a little bit. At the moment we are very pleased."

sky star 2

Super VIP
BENITEZ SWERVES ALONSO ISSUE

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has refused to be drawn on the future of midfielder Xabi Alonso but did rule out any potential move for Spain international David Villa.

Alonso has been the subject of sustained interest from Real Madrid and the 27-year-old was quoted in the Spanish press as indicating he would be keen on a return to his homeland.

The free-spending Spanish giants are reportedly eager for a swift conclusion to a mooted £30million deal but Benitez, who confirmed Alonso is part the Reds squad embarking on a two-match tour of Thailand and Singapore, underlined he will not be leaving the club any time soon.

"Xabi Alonso is here with us so he will be available," he said.

"One thing that you need to understand is the Spanish press. The future of Xabi Alonso is to enjoy here with the people of Thailand and the weather and the game. The next week he will be here."

Benitez also revealed he has no plans to discuss the situation with the player, who signed a five-year deal in June 2007 and proved one of Liverpool's key performers last term, ahead of Wednesday night's game against Thailand in Bangkok.

"We'll talk about tactics and the game and try to enjoy our football," he added.

One player who will not be arriving at Anfield, however, is David Villa.

The prolific Valencia striker has been periodically linked with the Merseyside club and the prospect of recreating his partnership with countryman Fernando Torres in the Premier League was one to savour.

But Benitez emphatically ruled out any approach for the 27-year-old.

"David Villa, he is not our target," he stressed.

Defender Glen Johnson is the only significant piece of business to have been completed so far this summer after joining from Portsmouth but Benitez hinted there could be further big-name arrivals ahead of the August 31 transfer deadline.

"We have already signed Johnson, an international for England. He is a good signing and Andriy Voronin is coming back, he was one of the best players in the German league, so we have two good additions. You never know in football, we still have some time and we need to keep working on other names," he said.

"We have fantastic players and hopefully we can keep the level of last year and see with one or two additions we could improve a little bit. At the moment we are very pleased."

sky star 2

Super VIP
PEP GIVES BLESSING TO ETO'O DEAL

Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola feels it would be best for the club if Samuel Eto'o leaves the Nou Camp.

Eto'o is set for talks with Inter Milan after the two clubs agreed a fee of 45million euros plus the Cameroon striker for Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Alexander Hleb will also join the Serie A outfit on loan.

And Guardiola believes it is the right move for the Catalan giants.

"I am convinced that the best thing for Barca is for Eto'o to leave," he said. "Could I be mistaken? Maybe so.

"But I am here to make these decisions.

"I feel it is the best for the team, for the club, but I don't dare say for Samuel.

"I am very grateful to Samuel, not just for this year, but for the five years he spent here.

"We'll see how the situation ends."

Speculation has been rife since the end of the last campaign that Guardiola, who transfer-listed Eto'o last summer, was not keen on the Cameroon international.

The treble-winning coach confirmed he feels Eto'o has to go but insists it has nothing to do with personal issues but simply a need to shake up the dressing room.

"Without him we wouldn't have achieved what we achieved last year," added Guardiola. "There are no footballing or personal reasons or anything about his behaviour.

"It's simply a question of 'feeling', and that's how I feel.

"I think you have to change things. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's my responsibility. It's my decision.

"There are no behavioural reasons, you shouldn't look for them. I am not here to change anyone's character, but I can decide on which players I want to count on for the season.

"After what we won, we had to change the dressing room. I took this decision from my experience as a footballer."

Barca president Joan Laporta admitted earlier he did not know what would happen if Eto'o decided not to move to the San Siro.

However, Guardiola claims that if the player remained on Barca's books they would end their attempt to sign Ibrahimovic.

"Each player has his own situation and today, apart from Madrid who have brought in everyone, the world is as it is because it costs a lot to sign players," he said.

"What will happen in the next few days no one knows.

"We are rich but not so much. They are two very important players and to have 'overbooking' in such an important position is not good in the long term.

"I can't let this situation come about.

"I have not spoken to him (Eto'o), there are other people in charge who are used to doing so.

"Does he feel betrayed? I hope not.

"You don't know what will happen and who knows he could still be with us in training on the 27th."

Earlier, Laporta mirrored his coach's assertion that the time is right for Eto'o to move on.

He said: "As a result of a conversation that I had with Eto'o before my meeting with (Inter president Massimo) Moratti, we understood that it was time to look for a team for him and 24 hours later the possibility of going to Inter came up.

"Eto'o will go to a club where they will also treat him with respect.

"We have come to an agreement with Inter about the fee and we are waiting for Inter to come to an agreement with Eto'o and us with Ibrahimovic.

"I talked to Eto'o after the meeting with Moratti that night and then Inter talked with his agent and Mourinho talked to Eto'o."

If the deal goes through, Ibrahimovic would be Barca's second summer signing and their first big-money move, following the 4.5million euro deal for Maxwell.

However, Laporta insists they are not set to follow in the footsteps of bitter rivals Real Madrid who have shelled out over 200million euros bringing in Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka, Karim Benzema and Raul Albiol.

"It's a different sort of deal, because it's based around different financial amounts, which are fairly reasonable," he said.

Laporta also admitted he is at a loss as to why Valencia striker David Villa's proposed move to the Nou Camp collapsed.

"Incomprehensibly, our offer was not accepted by Valencia," he said.

"We had information that said that the player had word that, for a determined amount, he could leave the club.

"And Barca offered this amount and more. That's why I say incomprehensibly."

Meanwhile, Inter sporting director Marco Branca claimed on Monday afternoon that Eto'o's agent will be in Milan on Tuesday to hold further talks over the player's proposed transfer to the San Siro.

"The agent of the Cameroon striker, Jose Maria Mesalles, will be in Milan tomorrow," Branca told Inter's official website.

"The deal has not been completed. There are still many issues to discuss but I am optimistic."

sky star 2

Super VIP
BARCA ADMIT RIBERY DEFEAT

Pep Guardiola has conceded that Barcelona's chances of signing Franck Ribery now appear "impossible", while he has also told Thierry Henry that he will remain as a key figure if he stays fit.

Ribery has been heavily linked with a move away from Bayern Munich this summer despite the German club's insistence that he will be going nowhere.

Real Madrid's interest in the France international has cooled following their capture of Karim Benzema and Barcelona have emerged as one of the frontrunners in the chase for his signature.

However, Guardiola does not expect Ribery to arrive at the Nou Camp during the transfer window.

"It seems impossible to me. I think he will not come," said the Barca boss.

"First of all because Bayern does not want to let him go. And then because his agent prefers that he go elsewhere."

Former Arsenal striker Henry enjoyed a fine season with Barca last term but he did struggle with injuries towards the end of the campaign.

There has been speculation about the forward's future but Guardiola is counting on him to make a big contribution.

"The role he has will depend on him. If he is fit, he will play, and frequently," Guardiola told reporters.

sky star 2

Super VIP
FERGIE: RONALDO IS A 'MASSIVE LOSS'

Sir Alex Ferguson claims departed hero Cristiano Ronaldo is "streets ahead" of Kaka and Lionel Messi as the best player in the world - but is confident teenage star Federico Macheda will eventually receive the same adulation.

Ferguson only agreed to Ronaldo's desire to leave Manchester United for Real Madrid when the Spanish giants offered to pay an up-front world record payment of £80million this summer.

Many United fans have already claimed they are happy to see the Portugal international go given his increasingly individual approach, particularly as it allows Wayne Rooney to resume the central attacking berth he craves.

However, Ferguson is not joining those now attempting to rewrite history.

Describing Ronaldo's exit as "a massive loss", the United manager paid a glowing tribute to the player he still regards as number one on the planet, even if the title that currently belongs to the former Red Devil is likely to be inherited by Messi this winter.

"Cristiano is a massive loss," Ferguson said.

"I have nothing but praise for the boy. He is easily the best player in the world.

"He is better than Kaka and better than Messi. He is streets ahead of them all.

"His contribution as a goal threat is unbelievable. His stats are incredible. Strikes at goal, attempts on goal, raids into the penalty box, headers. It is all there. Absolutely astounding."

Now all Ferguson can do is watch on as a player he brought to England from Sporting Lisbon as a raw 17-year-old exhibits in La Liga all the ability he nurtured at United's Carrington training ground.

"Three years ago I had a conversation with (then assistant) Carlos Queiroz," recalled Ferguson.

"We thought we would be doing well to keep him for another two, so overall, we have done well to keep him for six years.

"He is a great player. And if he gets the right training regime, as he had at United, he will develop and get even better."

Yet, as he hands over Ronaldo's number seven shirt to Michael Owen, Ferguson is already looking at his next star of the future.

No-one will forget the way Macheda burst onto the scene last spring when he followed up a sensational injury-time winner against Aston Villa by securing another victory against Sunderland a week later.

"Macheda is top drawer, a hero in the making, just as Cristiano was," said Ferguson.

"It is hard to believe he is just 17. We probably need to check his birth certificate because I reckon he is at least 28."

Macheda's public introduction to the United first team also included an FA Cup semi-final appearance against Everton.

Little wonder there has been no sense of awe from the Italian as he mingles with the senior stars on the Red Devils' current Far East tour, and no sign of inferiority either in training, where his eye for goal is even sharper than that of legendary predator Owen.

"Federico has plenty of confidence," admitted Ferguson.

"When he came on the other night he dropped into midfield and ran down their left-side.

"He is a player all right - and tough as old boots. He can look after himself.

"He does not have the lightning reactions of Ronaldo but he is quick around the box and he has an eye for goal.

"He was way in front of everyone with his finishing the other day - and I mean everyone. It was magnificent to see."

sky star 2

Super VIP
RONALDO EYES MADRID SUCCESS

Cristiano Ronaldo has set his sights on eclipsing his success with Manchester United after making his debut for Real Madrid.

The 2008 World and European Footballer of the Year made his first appearance for Real since his world-record move from United as the Spanish giants earned a narrow 1-0 friendly win over Shamrock Rovers on Monday night.

Ronaldo failed to shine before being substituted at half-time in Dublin, but the anti-climax of his first outing for the Primera Liga runners-up has not dented his aspirations.

The 24-year-old, who won three Premier League titles, one FA Cup and one Champions League among his triumphs at United, is hopeful he can collect even more silverware at the Bernabeu.

He told Sky Sports 1: "It is always nice that I am changed (clubs) now.

"I am a Madrid player and I am really focused on this club and on winning the trophies I won with Manchester or more, if it is possible."

Real have stunned the globe with their transfer activity this summer as Ronaldo has been joined at the Bernabeu by the likes of Kaka and Karim Benzema, who scored to defeat Shamrock, as president Florentino Perez builds a new era of 'Galacticos'.

But the Portugal international insists he can handle the pressure of being the world's most expensive player as Real attempt to overhaul domestic and European champions Barcelona in the new season.

He added when asked about being in the spotlight: "I don't worry about that. I just focus to do my best, to train well, play well, to help the team win games.

"I try to do my best. It is not a problem for me. I am a relaxed guy."

Despite failing to make an impact in his 45 minutes against Shamrock, Ronaldo was happy with his performance as he builds fitness ahead of the new season in Spain

He said: "It was a good game, good training. We play against a good team and I enjoyed it today.

"I feel good. I am not 100 per cent, but I work to be 100 per cent for the start of the season.

"We are training hard all week and today we played for 45 minutes. I think it is a good thing."

Ronaldo also insists he has no preference regarding the role he is asked to fill by manager Manuel Pellegrini.

"I don't have a preference. I can play on the left, right or in the middle. For me it is not a problem. I just want to play," he concluded.

sky star 2

Super VIP
RONALDO STIFLED IN DUBLIN DEBUT

Cristiano Ronaldo struggled to make any impact against Shamrock Rovers in his first appearance for Real Madrid on Monday night as the Spanish giants secured a 1-0 victory.

The £80million man came in for close attention from the Irish side's defenders, not all of it fitting the 'friendly' title of this match, and could not conjure any of his trademark magic before being withdrawn at half-time with the score 0-0.

Eventually, it was fellow Real new boy Karim Benzema who won it, latching on to a long ball to score the only goal of the game three minutes from time.

sky star 2

Super VIP
FERGIE WON'T RULE OUT RON RETURN

Sir Alex Ferguson has not written off the prospect of Cristiano Ronaldo returning to Manchester United one day.

Ronaldo began a new phase in his career on Monday night when he made his debut for Real Madrid in a scrappy 1-0 win over Shamrock Rovers.

Real paid a world record £80million to let Ronaldo fulfil his childhood dream and turn out for the Madrid giants.

And while Ferguson does feel the 24-year-old Portuguese superstar will prosper at the Bernabeu, he cannot entirely discount the possibility of Ronaldo eventually coming back to Old Trafford, where he spent six years developing into the world's best player.

"He may come back, you never know," said Ferguson. "Sometimes it happens that way.

"He loved United. If you look back at the six years he had with us, he never missed training.

"That's one of the things he has above all other players - he was never injured, he always played.

"And his best is yet to come. He is only 24."

Many United fans have already claimed they are happy to see Ronaldo go given his increasingly individual approach, particularly as it allows Wayne Rooney to resume the central attacking berth he craves.

However, Ferguson is not joining those now attempting to rewrite history.

Describing Ronaldo's exit as "a massive loss", the United manager paid a glowing tribute to the player he still regards as number one on the planet, even if the title which currently belongs to the former Red Devil is likely to be inherited by Lionel Messi this winter.

"Cristiano is a massive loss," said Ferguson.

"I have nothing but praise for the boy. He is easily the best player in the world.

"He is better than Kaka and better than Messi. He is streets ahead of them all.

"His contribution as a goal threat is unbelievable. His stats are incredible. Strikes at goal, attempts on goal, raids into the penalty box, headers. It is all there. Absolutely astounding."

sky star 2

Super VIP
INTER HOPEFUL OF ETO'O DEAL

Inter Milan president Massimo Moratti is confident they can agree a deal with Samuel Eto'o to take him to the San Siro.

The Cameroon striker has been offered to Inter by Barcelona in a swap deal for Zlatan Ibrahimovic, with the Swede keen on securing a switch to the Nou Camp.

Barca coach Pep Guardiola admitted earlier this week it was probably best all round for Eto'o to leave the European champions.

Reports have suggested the deal could flounder on the wage demands of Eto'o, but Inter are hopeful they will be able to thrash out a deal.

Eto'o's agent Jose Maria Mesalles has travelled to Milan to hold talks with Inter officials and a five-year deal is believed to be on the table.

Moratti is optimistic a deal will be pushed through to see Eto'o link up with the Italian champions.

"I have no certainty but I'm confident," Moratti told the Italian press.

sky star 2

Super VIP
COLOGNE SNAP UP SCHORCH

Cologne have continued their Spanish shopping spree by signing Christopher Schorch from Real Madrid.

A day after signing Portugal international Maniche from Atletico Madrid, the Bundesliga club agreed an undisclosed fee with city rivals Real for Germany Under-20 international defender Schorch, who has signed a four-year deal.

"We are delighted to have pulled off this transfer of Christopher Schorch, even though there were other Bundesliga clubs interested," said Cologne's general manager Michael Meier.

"We tried to sign him two years ago, but lost out to Real Madrid back then.

"Christopher Schorch fulfils the profile of what we were looking for and strengthens the quality of our squad.

"It is intentionally a long-term deal with Christopher Schorch since this transfer is also about his potential."

Schorch, 20, who spent two years in Madrid after joining from Hertha Berlin, passed his medical at Cologne on Tuesday morning and has joined his new team-mates at a training camp in Velden ahead of Friday's friendly with Bayern Munich.

sky star 2

Super VIP
HLEB IN DARK OVER INTER MOVE

Alexander Hleb's agent believes the Barcelona midfielder would welcome a move to Inter Milan but insists he has not been informed of any possible deal.

Barca have agreed a fee with Inter of 45million euros plus Samuel Eto'o for Zlatan Ibrahimovic in a deal which will also see Hleb join the Serie A side on loan.

However, the Belarus international's agent insists they have not been approached by either club.

"Hleb will leave with the team on the flight to London where Barcelona will play a friendly," Maurizio Guadino told Calciomercato.it.

"No-one has talked to us yet about Inter, the two clubs are in talks and so at the moment Ale is thinking about working hard for Barca."

Hleb only moved to the Nou Camp last summer in a 17million transfer from Arsenal but has struggled to adapt.

The 28-year-old insisted just a few days ago he would remain with the treble winners following advice from team-mate Thierry Henry, who suffered a similarly difficult first season at Barca.

But Guadino believes he would jump at the chance to move to the San Siro.

"It's obvious that he's not happy," he added. "Last year he hoped to play with more consistency, but they won everything there was to win.

"He was injured at the start of the season and that certainly penalised him.

"I don't like speaking about possibilities, but Inter would be a good destination for him, there's no doubt.

"It's a great club who would allow him to still win plenty.

"It's always an honour to be linked to teams of this calibre but I repeat that for the moment no-one has spoken with us.

"If and when the two clubs inform us of something, we will evaluate the situation."