Cable lengths

Eyejob

Registered
Hi guys, I want to fit my motorised dish at my new home, options are on the front of the house or at the back down the bottom of the garden.

Anybody have any idea how long a cable run I can get away with without running into issues with powering the motor or signal strength?

It will be a Supreme Dark Motor and a 1m Gibertini dish. I don't want to spend all the time and effort putting it down the garden to then still end up putting it on the house.

barney115

Donating Member
Staff member
Administrator
i have +70 meters cable length as long as you do not have any joints it will be just fine , my long sat cable moves my 2 meter prime focus dish just fine for quite a few years now same cable length for my 1.2 meter channel master dish too and i do not loss anything signal wise worth talking about my cable goes inside a good thick plastic tube to protect it from any water all the way around back of my house along a very long wall back down towards the house up the gavel wall along the attic and into my room and sat box :eek:
i might have about max 15 meters at the most left from a 100 meter roll of sat coax just to connect up 1 sat dish :)
You'll be just fine use good quality Sat coax and everything will work great for you : )
GOOD LUCK !!

butchyboy

Registered
i have +70 meters cable length as long as you do not have any joints it will be just fine , my long sat cable moves my 2 meter prime focus dish just fine for quite a few years now same cable length for my 1.2 meter channel master dish too and i do not loss anything signal wise worth talking about my cable goes inside a good thick plastic tube to protect it from any water all the way around back of my house along a very long wall back down towards the house up the gavel wall along the attic and into my room and sat box :eek:
i might have about max 15 meters at the most left from a 100 meter roll of sat coax just to connect up 1 sat dish :)
You'll be just fine use good quality Sat coax and everything will work great for you : )
GOOD LUCK !!

hi barney what coax type brand do you use?.

barney115

Donating Member
Staff member
Administrator
funny you should ask that butchyboy ,
i use CT100 Satellite Cable [ Philex or Webro ] because i had quite a lot of issues with my landline hands-free phone caused a lot of interference with my signals so i recall i had asked for advice about it on another forum and i was told to use CT100 Satellite Cable as it is better protected and no noise interference ...and sure enough the advice was spot on it meant i had to swap out my existing cheap RG6 cable few years ago but i never looked back since switching to CT100 Coax cable it works and i dont try fix anything that is not broken :D

aerosmith

Registered
I've been using WF125 for about 10 years or so. Low loss very thick large outside diameter but very rigid ie difficult bending where and when necessary. Great if you need to keep any signal loss very low due to large lengths.

Last edited:

barney115

Donating Member
Staff member
Administrator
WF125 is more expensive but to be fair it is more rigid and worth it if you can afford it :thum:
than CT100 but i do use WF125 for my other smaller dishes where i only need about 30 meters length it also does work
really well but it simply wont bend like RG6 for love nor money :D

butchyboy

Registered
WF125 is more expensive but to be fair it is more rigid and worth it if you can afford it :thum:
than CT100 but i do use WF125 for my other smaller dishes where i only need about 30 meters length it also does work

will buy the WF125 as my longest run is only 30m to my big dish.:thum:

aerosmith

Registered

To be honestly fair I only bought it because in one local shop it was heavily reduced in price. Otherwise the price is too high for very long runs and it is not the easiest of coax to work with. Its not too far off my RG213 I use for ham in diameter.

Eyejob

Registered
Thanks for the replies, certainly gives hope of a good end result. I will update the thread when I have got sorted.

aerosmith

Registered
Thanks for the replies, certainly gives hope of a good end result. I will update the thread when I have got sorted.

If you do decide to purchase WF125 coax be careful where you get your connectors from. Last time I purchased some online they were well undersized and I ended up carefully hand drilling them out. Just about did it (centre core contact mainly), but watch out.

net5ua

Registered
GOOD LUCK !!

I've not yet updated my original motorised system but now have everything to do so in the spring post-Covid-19!

I only have a cable run of about 10m (if that) and I've bought WF125, WF100 and even WF100 Twin as I'll be fitting a TM Gold Quad LNB.

One thing I have noticed with the standard RG6 cable is that the feed from the cable that powers the motor is significantly weaker than the ones not powering the motor, and that of course is down to the fact they don't have cable joints whereas the one that powers the motor does.

Over such a short run, am I wasting my time with WF125 and should I just stick to the easier to install WF100?

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
I've not yet updated my original motorised system but now have everything to do so in the spring post-Covid-19!

I only have a cable run of about 10m (if that) and I've bought WF125, WF100 and even WF100 Twin as I'll be fitting a TM Gold Quad LNB.

One thing I have noticed with the standard RG6 cable is that the feed from the cable that powers the motor is significantly weaker than the ones not powering the motor, and that of course is down to the fact they don't have cable joints whereas the one that powers the motor does.

Over such a short run, am I wasting my time with WF125 and should I just stick to the easier to install WF100?

On a 10 meter run WF125 could be seen as an overkill but for the extra money involved id use Wf125 over Wf100 you no you getting as much amperage to the motor and lnb as you can and the received signal back will be the best it can be.

net5ua

Registered
On a 10 meter run WF125 could be seen as an overkill but for the extra money involved id use Wf125 over Wf100 you no you getting as much amperage to the motor and lnb as you can and the received signal back will be the best it can be.
...much obliged Sir - thank you! :)

*edit to my previous post:

I'll actually be fitting an TM-8 Gold Octo 0.1Db LNB to my main dish which is a Triax 110cm. I was in touch with the UK guy selling Gibertini OP125 dishes, but he said that the TM-2600 motor I have would need some 'Heath Robinson' adjusting to fit on the Gibertini OP125 which has put me off gertting one.

I've bought some 9ft x 48mm scaffold poles of 4mm thickness and will be fitting 2 x 'K' and 1 x 'T' 24" offset brackets to hold it all in place. Last Jan/Feb it was very windy where I am, and the pole was moving around quite a bit which I hope will be avoided with the scaffold quality pole.

I've also bought a second 80cm dish to replace a standard Sky sat dish that was pointing at 13°E. The second dish will have a TM-2 Gold LNB but won't have a motor and will be pointing at either 7°E or 10°E - does anyone have a view on which of 7°E or 10°E would make most sense? many thanks in advance of any pointers :)

Last edited:

campag5242

Feed Hunter
I was in touch with the UK guy selling Gibertini OP125 dishes, but he said that the TM-2600 motor I have would need some 'Heath Robinson' adjusting to fit on the Gibertini OP125 which has put me off gertting one.
I've obtained that Gibertini 125 dish from the UK vendor, and have the same TM-2600 motor. The weight of the dish is perhaps a bit too much for that motor, but I'll see how it goes.
I was able to clamp the dish to the motor using 8x aluminium shims: short lengths around 25mm wide x 50mm long, about 4mm thick, all bent into a tight U-shape to fit over all edges of the Vs in the back clamping plate. It wasn't necessary to use the included duplicate back clamping plate, supplied as an extra ~ 25mm standoff: with those 4mm shims, the dish *just* clears the smoothly rounded corners of the TM-2600. Omitting the included backing V-plate spacer will bring the weight of the dish closer to the centre-line of the motor output shaft, and so reduce the torque/load on the motor's bearings, or so I hope.
Performance after a quick install is on a par with my TD110, but that'll only improve as I tweak it.