Viark DRS2 tuner output issue

smithysmudger

Donating Member
Hi I have the above box and decided to have a go at installing a motorised setup.
However moving the dish during setup was a nightmare it would move on the odd occasion but more often than not it would move one STOP then stall.
Thankfully it’s a pole in the ground so easily accessible so removed motor and tested in the comfort of the house. Connected motor (TM-2600M3) to the receiver and motor working great, however as soon as I connected LNB to motor it kept stalling again.

Rigged up dc power supply and bench tested motor drawing about 160 mA @ 18v which is probably about right with no dish attached. Connected the LNB and it added 100mA to the circuit which is about right according the the LNB spec sheet.
Lowering the power supply current dial below 260mA simulated the fault I am having when connected to the tuner.
I would have thought the output would be nearer the 400/500mA range but nothing in documentation.

Has anyone else had an issues driving a motor with this box and can anyone confirm what they are able to run without any issues.

Cheers

Smithy

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
How long a run of coax are you using and how old is it ?

Is there no spec on the mA output of the DRS2 ?

smithysmudger

Donating Member
The coax run to the dish is brand new and is about 20 mts it was bought as a kit, dish/motor/lnb etc.
The connections/continuity etc are all good.
When tested in the house I was only using short lengths of coax.

Sadly nothing stamped on the box I have emailed supplier to try and get the information, was just putting it out there in the hope someone else had encountered the same issue.

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
It has to have a low ma output and over that run it diminishes further. As you can measure this why not see what ma you have at the end of the coax run ?

tony52

Registered
I ave similar problem, my set up is, viark drs2, technomate motor 2600 super, lnb 0.1, when i turn from a vertical channel from one satellite to another vertical channel the motor moves ok, but if i move from a vertical channel to horizontal channel in another satellite, the motor doesn't move. Also doesn't move if turning H channels to H channels, the only way to work is to leave the channels in vertical before leaving every saTellite, feneki as posted that installing a 0.2 lnb the motor moves fine

Last edited:

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
Strange it works on the 13v of V and not 18v of H.

This is one of the reason ive stayed away from Android sat boxes i had motor issues on a Wetek Play, Play 2 and Zgemma H9.

Ive a long run of coax although it is the heavy duty ct125 stuff.

smithysmudger

Donating Member
Strange it works on the 13v of V and not 18v of H.

That kinda ties in with my assumptions that the tuner output is below par as the mA in the circuit would be greater @ 18v than it would be @ 13v.
Funny enough the LNB is also 0.1db.

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
That kinda ties in with my assumptions that the tuner output is below par as the mA in the circuit would be greater @ 18v than it would be @ 13v.
Funny enough the LNB is also 0.1db.

Take the lnb out and see if the motor the moves as it should .

smithysmudger

Donating Member
Yes motor runs sweet as you like without LNB connected soon as the extra 100mA LNB load Is added to the circuit it just stalls.

jenseneverest

Registered
Yes motor runs sweet as you like without LNB connected soon as the extra 100mA LNB load Is added to the circuit it just stalls.

Good to see the amp tests you did mate, i have the same issue.
Im using the small 80cm dish already setup with a low power LNB and only about 10m run of cable

Setting up a motor like that, must be near impossible.

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
Another thing id try might sound silly and it may not help a better quality power supply the supplied one look very light weight to me.

archiesat

Donating Member
i setup viark drs2 for friend with old darkmotor,we had motor issues from the start with lnb connected to the viark drs2,changed lnb to inverto black ultra all seems to be running ok for last 2 weeks.(we were getting lnb short message with other old lnb) no dish movement.

FENEKI

VIP
Donating Member
i setup viark drs2 for friend with old darkmotor,we had motor issues from the start with lnb connected to the viark drs2,changed lnb to inverto black ultra all seems to be running ok for last 2 weeks.(we were getting lnb short message with other old lnb) no dish movement.

that's good to hear that LNB inverto black ultra works as well on this boxes m8 I'm using 0.2db as well but I couldn't say what 0.2db it was because I had it more than 10 years and the sticker faded up lucky that I can see still 0.2db and works fine for me as well on Technomate motor

which one did you use inverto black ultra 0.2db is it the single or twin m8

smithysmudger

Donating Member
Another thing id try might sound silly and it may not help a better quality power supply the supplied one look very light weight to me.

Not a silly suggestion at all, that was my first port of call during fault finding when I noticed it only had an output of 1.5A @ 12v so I connected a different power supply which was rated at 5A @ 12v but sadly it never improved the situation.

I will post the tuner output rating when/if I receive a response from supplier as he has forwarded my query to manufacturer.

jenseneverest

Registered
This is was also seen with most zgemma models and a low power lnb seemed to fix or bypass the issue when using usals... I believe an attempt to fix the problem has been done with a driver update but can't confirm either way. I also messed about with power supply and got no where on the zgemma
From memory there was no issue when using disquets 1.2 on the motor but not tried on the Drs2.

smithysmudger

Donating Member
Received an answer of sorts today from the supplier and he is still pushing the manufacturer for a definitive answer to my question.
Reading between the lines it doesn’t look to promising as the manufacturer should know what the equipment specifications are. I may have to go down the viark sat 4K route as that box looks a bit more robust as opposed to something that’s been knocked up in a backstreet sweatshop. I assume PT 1.03 unlocks all the good stuff on this box.
My old box will be a fine gift for a family member with a fixed dish.

“ We are still waiting the response from factory. We are aware that there is an error in Viark Android models and the motorised dishes, but we are working on it with our Asia developing team. I will let you know as soon as I have a response.
If your client is in a hurry with this issue, and he does not need the android option, you can recommend the Viark SAT or SAt 4K models.”

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
Received an answer of sorts today from the supplier and he is still pushing the manufacturer for a definitive answer to my question.
Reading between the lines it doesn’t look to promising as the manufacturer should know what the equipment specifications are. I may have to go down the viark sat 4K route as that box looks a bit more robust as opposed to something that’s been knocked up in a backstreet sweatshop. I assume PT 1.03 unlocks all the good stuff on this box.
My old box will be a fine gift for a family member with a fixed dish.

“ We are still waiting the response from factory. We are aware that there is an error in Viark Android models and the motorised dishes, but we are working on it with our Asia developing team. I will let you know as soon as I have a response.
If your client is in a hurry with this issue, and he does not need the android option, you can recommend the Viark SAT or SAt 4K models.”

My Sat 4k has no trouble turning a 1m dish with a stabb mount and an old titanium lnb over around 18m of coax. It gets it feed via a loopthrough off various other sat boxes i have so if there was going to be an issue it would be after the loopthrough but no its all good. Yes all the good stuff opens on the sat 4k but no PowerVU even though it did this on a previous version of software.

smithysmudger

Donating Member
Fitted an Inverto Black Ultra LNB today and now finally having a play across the arc it’s not 100% as is sometimes sticks if I don’t make sure I’m on a vertical channel before changing sats (same issue tony52 was experiencing)
But apart from that it’s working fine.
Never did get a reply stating the tuner power output but this workaround will do fine.

gap30

Donating Member
Sorry to keep repeating myself on this

I have a viark sat 4k via a vbox/actuator/1.5m dish which has worked fine no problems for years

When I first got my box 8 weeks ago it somehow killed a v box and 2 invacom c120 lnb's

I have replaced the v box and am using a third invacom c120 lnb and have had no problems since

The 'faulty' items had worked flawlessly for years with a tbs6903

Maybe I was just unlucky?