Formula 1 News

sarahmic

Sports fan
Super VIP
Webber set to consider future

Mark Webber will use the next two weeks to take stock of his Formula One career as the rift with Red Bull team-mate Sebastian Vettel grew increasingly fractious on Sunday.

Webber was left seething after Vettel deliberately ignored team orders to take the chequered flag at the Malaysian Grand Prix, and for the 27th time in his F1 career.

Leading at the fourth and final pit stop 13 laps from home, Webber and Vettel were under instruction to hold station to the line.

Reigning world champion Vettel, however, tarnished his reputation as he blatantly defied team principal Christian Horner and went on the attack.

The duo, who previously clashed in the 2010 Turkish Grand Prix when Vettel attacked Webber only to crash out of the race, went wheel to wheel before the 25-year-old German passed the Australian on lap 46.

In the green room, where the top three drivers cool down post race, on the podium and in the main press conference the tension between them was palpable.

Although Vettel apologised it cut no ice with Webber who, when asked whether the situation had made him consider his future with the team, and in F1 on the whole, Webber said: "My mind in the last 15 laps was thinking that many things, yes. Many, many things."

As to how Webber will respond to an order in the future should he be in a position where he is chasing Vettel for a win, he said: "That question is not going to be answered right now.

"Let's just say there were a lot of things going through my mind in the last 15 laps of the grand prix, lots of different reasons, not just from today but also from the past.

"We'll see what happens. We've got three weeks before the next race (in China on April 14).

"Right now it's very early days, it's very raw, but we need to work out how the team best goes forwards from here.

"That's obviously going to be discussed this week. I will be in Australia on my surfboard, the phone won't be engaged, so let's see what happens."

Vettel, who had initially shown no remorse for his selfish actions when interviewed on the podium, changed his tune several minutes later when he fielded questions in the press conference.

"I can see now he (Webber) is upset, but yeah, I at least want to be honest and stick to the truth and apologise," said Vettel

"I know it doesn't really help his feelings right now, but I should have behaved better.

"As I've said, I didn't do it deliberately. I didn't realise I had made a mistake. It was only when I came back and saw the team's reaction I realised."

Horner claims clear-the-air talks were held immediately afterwards, but there is no doubt Webber will head back to his homeland feeling deeply aggrieved and with his mistrust of Vettel exacerbated.

Behind them Mercedes duo Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg were also involved in their own team orders controversy, although in this instance the latter obeyed the call from team boss Ross Brawn.

Clearly faster than Hamilton in the final stint, Rosberg twice asked to be let by only for Brawn to tell him to hold station, much to the embarrassment of the Briton who believes he should have given way.

Jenson Button, meanwhile, should have finished at least fifth, only for a pit-stop error by his McLaren crew to ultimately wreck his race from which he retired a few laps from home.

As for Fernando Alonso, the Spaniard crashed out in his Ferrari at the start of lap two after the team opted not to call him into the pits for a new front wing damaged on lap one.

sarahmic

Sports fan
Super VIP
China preview quotes – Mercedes, McLaren & more on Shanghai 05 Apr 2013

After an action-packed start to the season - and a subsequent three-week break - the 22 drivers and 11 teams will reconvene in Shanghai next week for the third race of the year: the 2013 Formula 1 UBS Chinese Grand Prix on April 12-14. Those involved discuss their prospects for the race…

Nico Rosberg, Mercedes
2012 Qualifying - 1st, 2012 Race - 1st
“I travel to China next week with very good memories from winning my first Formula One race in Shanghai last year, and having led the race there for the past three years. I enjoy the Shanghai track a great deal and I have a positive feeling going there with the car that we have at the moment. The team have been working very hard to develop our car since returning from Malaysia and I will be at the factory on Monday to complete my preparations in the simulator for the next two races. We've had a strong start to the season and I'm confident that we can keep pushing and hopefully score some good results in China and Bahrain.”

Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes
2012 Qualifying - 2nd, 2012 Race - 3rd
“I'm looking forward to getting to China next week and going racing again; it feels like a long time since Malaysia! My first two races with my new team have been a great experience and everyone has made me feel so welcome. We've had a better start than we expected and to have finished in fifth and third places so far is really positive. I know there is much more to come so we will keep working hard and pushing the development of the car. I'll be at the factory this weekend and look forward to hearing about the work that's gone on in the last couple of weeks and the upgrades that we will take to China.”

Ross Brawn, Mercedes team principal
“The Chinese Grand Prix of course holds great memories following the first win for Nico and our Silver Arrows team in Shanghai last year. That win was an extremely proud occasion for us all and certainly one that we hope to emulate in the future. Our season has started well, perhaps better than we expected, however we're fully aware that there is still a gap to close and that we must keep up the pace of development. A lot of hard work has taken place at our factories over the last two weeks to do just that and I look forward to seeing how that translates to track performance. The Chinese Grand Prix race is well established now in its tenth year and it's an important market for both Formula One and Mercedes-Benz. The circuit itself is challenging with fast curves, tight corners and two hairpins. The layout requires good straightline speed, braking stability and traction, and the temperatures are likely to be cooler than we have experienced in the first two race weekends.”

Toto Wolff, Mercedes team executive director
“One year on from Nico's win, a lot of people will be asking whether this is something our team can repeat in 2013. But like they say, yesterday's home runs don't win today's games, and that's definitely true for us. We start again from zero this year and need to work hard to adapt the car to suit the circuit and the tyre compounds we have available, in the conditions that we find on track next weekend. Then we will see where we stand relative to the competition. We have made a solid start to the season in the first two races with Nico and Lewis both performing at a very high and equal level. The development race will be critical this season so we have more new parts planned for China. Our aim has to be to improve on our good start to the season and continue scoring good points in both championships.”

Jenson Button, McLaren
2012 Qualifying - 6th, 2012 Race - 2nd
“In a funny way, the Chinese Grand Prix almost feels like something of a reboot of the start of my season. Taking home two points from the first two races obviously wasn’t what we had in mind at the beginning of the year, but I think everybody in the team has picked themselves up and really attacked the task of addressing our car’s issues. We know where we’re losing performance, so I think we’re actually all looking forward to seeing just what we can achieve in Shanghai. As far as the circuit goes, I’ve always enjoyed racing here: our car has always performed well around this circuit and we’ve always seemed to be able to find a good balance between the slow stuff, the high-speed changes of direction and the drag-loss needed for the long straight. It’s a pretty good place for racing, too, because that straight offers such a good opportunity for slipstreaming and overtaking. I think we can have a pretty good race next weekend, too. The important thing for us as a team is to go into the weekend with clear focus, hone our strengths across the sessions and increase our understanding of the car. I definitely think there’s everything to play for with this championship, and I can’t wait to get back into the cockpit to start the fight again.”

Sergio Perez, McLaren
2012 Qualifying - 8th, 2012 Race - 11th
“I think there’s been a little time to breathe after the first two races of the season. That’s been important for us, as we’ve been able to get back to MTC and really throw all our efforts behind the modifications we need to make the car perform more consistently. For me, it’s been incredible to not only see the speed of the team’s reaction, but also the positive way that everyone has pulled together to make those changes. It’s been an incredible team effort. So, we go into round three, and I feel there’s a lot of positivity within the team. We know that we somewhat under-performed in Australia and Malaysia, but, Jenson and I nonetheless managed to score some points. We may not have been as far up the order as we’d have liked, but those points-finishes mean the team has now extended its unbroken scoring run to 60 races - that’s pretty incredible, and a nice record to be able to maintain. Like everyone within the team, I’m really looking forward to China - it’s a great track with a little bit of everything - and I think it’ll be a good test of the car.”

Martin Whitmarsh, McLaren team principal
“Clearly, our performance in Australia and Malaysia fell below the high standards we’ve come to expect at Vodafone McLaren Mercedes. However, the three-week break between rounds two and three has been a useful one; we have been fully engaged in further developing our understanding of the MP4-28 and are confident of being able to implement a number of changes this weekend that will widen its operating window and, potentially, improve its performance. The team’s ability to respond has been exemplary; as I’ve already said, the behaviour of both Jenson and Checo has been superb. They have shown themselves to be true, inspirational leaders, and they have held themselves high, as real ambassadors for our team. The engineers, designers and mechanics, too, have worked tirelessly and painstakingly to unlock the car’s potential, and we feel confident that we are starting to turn the page. Formula One is an unpredictable beast. We’ve enjoyed some very competitive weekends in Shanghai in the past - with some equally unexpected results - and I feel confident and excited that we head to China next week with the hope of making further progress and eating into the advantage currently held by the leading pack.”

Nico Hulkenberg, Sauber
2012 Qualifying - 16th, 2012 Race - 15th
“The circuit in Shanghai is not particularly one of my favourite tracks, nevertheless it’s a demanding one, especially the first few corners and the corners before the back straight. Tyres and strategy will be very important during the weekend. At the beginning of the race in Malaysia my rear wing endplate was damaged, which caused a loss of downforce. I have a better feeling now I have driven my first race in the C32, especially because we were able to collect a lot of information. In Malaysia we scored points and that is also my goal for China.”

Esteban Gutierrez, Sauber
2012 Qualifying - n/a, 2012 Race - n/a
“I don’t actually know the track yet, so it will be an interesting challenge again to learn the circuit and then to develop confidence throughout the practice sessions. I have heard it is a very complex track with some fast corners and, at the same time, is very technical. Learning a new track all depends on the approach you take. You can learn a lot through video footage, your engineer’s advice on the right gears in different parts of the track and, most important of all, the more confidence you have in your car the easier it is to learn a new one. Compared to the first race in Melbourne, I now know the car so I can focus on learning the track. My goal is to improve and I’m looking forward to that.”

Tom McCullough, Sauber head of track engineering
“The Shanghai circuit has a good mix of low, medium and high speed corners. The track has several technical sections where corners lead straight into further corners requiring a good car balance and precise driving. The smooth track surface and typically low track temperatures have a significant impact on how the tyres perform - especially at the start of the race weekend whilst the track is cleaning up. Pirelli have allocated the Soft and Medium compounds which is the first time we have this pairing this season. We analysed the data that we collected in Malaysia and found interesting directions for the development of the car, therefore we will bring several test parts to Shanghai. Having secured our first points of the season in Malaysia, we are eager to add to them as soon as possible.”

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull
2012 Qualifying - 11th, 2012 Race - 5th
“My favourite memory of the Chinese Grand Prix is my first win with Red Bull Racing in 2009. We had a good qualifying, followed by an amazing race. There was a lot of rain, but we held it together and got our first team win and one-two. The circuit has lots of corners, making it hard for the tyres and tricky for the drivers. I really like the middle sector. Turns 12 and 13 are difficult to get right, as they demand a lot of technique, especially Turn 13 which leads into a really long straight. Every time I go to Shanghai I like to explore a bit more, but I really like Pudong, near the river.”

Mark Webber, Red Bull
2012 Qualifying - 7th, 2012 Race - 4th
“My best memory of the Chinese Grand Prix is coming from the back of the grid to finish on the podium in third place in 2011. The middle sector of the circuit is my favourite - Turns 5 and 6, it’s a nice and flowing section and it’s very important to get the technique right there. My favourite place to go in Shanghai? I went to a really nice restaurant with some of the boys from the team, Din Tai Fung Shanghai. They do great soup dumplings, a Shanghai specialty!”

sarahmic

Sports fan
Super VIP
FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX DE MONACO 2013

Qualifying

Pos No Driver Team Q1 Q2 Q3 Laps

1 9 Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1:24.620 1:16.135 1:13.876 31
2 10 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1:23.779 1:16.265 1:13.967 31
3 1 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull Racing-Renault 1:24.243 1:15.988 1:13.980 29

4 2 Mark Webber Red Bull Racing-Renault 1:25.352 1:17.322 1:14.181 30
5 7 Kimi Räikkönen Lotus-Renault 1:25.835 1:16.040 1:14.822 31
6 3 Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1:23.712 1:16.510 1:14.824 32
7 6 Sergio Perez McLaren-Mercedes 1:24.682 1:17.748 1:15.138 31
8 15 Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes 1:25.108 1:17.261 1:15.383 29
9 5 Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1:23.744 1:17.420 1:15.647 29
10 18 Jean-Eric Vergne STR-Ferrari 1:23.699 1:17.623 1:15.703 29
11 11 Nico Hulkenberg Sauber-Ferrari 1:25.547 1:18.331 22
12 19 Daniel Ricciardo STR-Ferrari 1:24.852 1:18.344 23
13 8 Romain Grosjean Lotus-Renault 1:23.738 1:18.603 13
14 17 Valtteri Bottas Williams-Renault 1:24.681 1:19.077 22
15 21 Giedo van der Garde Caterham-Renault 1:26.095 1:19.408 21
16 16 Pastor Maldonado Williams-Renault 1:23.452 1:21.688 22
17 14 Paul di Resta Force India-Mercedes 1:26.322 14
18 20 Charles Pic Caterham-Renault 1:26.633 13
19 12 Esteban Gutierrez Sauber-Ferrari 1:26.917 12
20 23 Max Chilton Marussia-Cosworth 1:27.303 13
DNQ 22 Jules Bianchi Marussia-Cosworth No time 1
DNQ 4 Felipe Massa Ferrari No time 0
Q1 107% Time 1:29.293

Note - Bianchi and Massa failed to set a qualifying time within the 107% requirement. Both race at stewards' discretion. Massa takes five-place grid penalty for gearbox change.

sarahmic

Sports fan
Super VIP
FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX DU CANADA 2013

Practice 3

Pos No Driver Team Time/Retired Gap Laps

1 2 Mark Webber Red Bull Racing-Renault 1:17.895 7
2 15 Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes 1:18.248 0.353 8
3 10 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1:18.732 0.837 7

4 3 Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1:18.977 1.082 10
5 1 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull Racing-Renault 1:19.131 1.236 6
6 9 Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1:19.457 1.562 7
7 14 Paul di Resta Force India-Mercedes 1:19.496 1.601 6
8 4 Felipe Massa Ferrari 1:19.750 1.855 9
9 5 Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1:19.790 1.895 9
10 7 Kimi Räikkönen Lotus-Renault 1:20.316 2.421 8
11 8 Romain Grosjean Lotus-Renault 1:20.596 2.701 9
12 16 Pastor Maldonado Williams-Renault 1:21.035 3.140 12
13 19 Daniel Ricciardo STR-Ferrari 1:21.364 3.469 7
14 23 Max Chilton Marussia-Cosworth 1:21.652 3.757 9
15 11 Nico Hulkenberg Sauber-Ferrari 1:22.021 4.126 14
16 12 Esteban Gutierrez Sauber-Ferrari 1:22.720 4.825 15
17 18 Jean-Eric Vergne STR-Ferrari 1:23.058 5.163 7
18 21 Giedo van der Garde Caterham-Renault 1:23.132 5.237 14
19 6 Sergio Perez McLaren-Mercedes 1:23.309 5.414 6
20 20 Charles Pic Caterham-Renault 1:23.620 5.725 12
21 17 Valtteri Bottas Williams-Renault 1:24.314 6.419 12
22 22 Jules Bianchi Marussia-Cosworth 1:26.195 8.300 9

sarahmic

Sports fan
Super VIP
Sebastian Vettel will be hoping to make it third time lucky by taking the win in Sunday's Canadian Grand Prix after ending Mercedes' recent domination of pole position.

GP Canada 2013, Qualifiche: Vettel in pole, terzo Bottas

Secondo Hamilton, quarto Rosberg precede Webber e Alonso

Sebastian Vettel ottiene la Pole Position del Gran Premio del Canada 2013 seguito da Hamilton e Bottas. Solo sesto Alonso.
All’inizio della Q1 i piloti hanno montato gomme slick per poi passare subito dopo il giro di installazione alle gomme intermedie. Primo tempo cronometrato per Vergne, 1:28.204. Le condizioni sono andate migliorando, difficile trovare il giro veloce a causa del traffico. Vettel con un crono di 1:22.318 ha stabilito il miglior tempo della prima manche. Vengono eliminati Di Resta, Pic, Grosjean, Bianchi, Chilton e Van der Garde.

Nella Qualifica 2 la pioggia è caduta più intensamente facendo alzare i tempi sul giro. Il miglior tempo è stato di Hamilton seguito da Webber e Vettel. Incidente per Felipe Massa alla curva 3 che ha causato l’esposizione della bandiera rossa a 2 minuti dal termine. Nessun problema per il pilota brasiliano. Alla ripartenza tutte le vetture sono tornate in pista per l’ultimo tentativo. Errore per Jenson Button che prendendo la bandiera a scacchi durante il giro lanciato è rimasto in quattordicesima posizione. Migliora Hamilton andando in testa con un tempo di 1:27.649.

Di rilievo la prestazione delle due Toro Rosso che accedono entrambe alle Q3.
In Q3 subito tutti i piloti in pista con gomme intermedie. Subito in testa Vettel con gomme usate che realizza un tempo di 1:25.425. Questo tempo non verrà battuto. Solo Hamilton riesce ad avvicinarsi a Vettel ma senza superarlo. Solo sesto Alonso che non riesce a migliorare. Prestazione fantastica di Bottas che ottiene la terza posizione. La Mercedes si conferma veloce, deludente la Lotus con Raikkonen in nona posizione alle spalle di Sutil.

Tempi delle Qualifiche del Gran Premio del Canada 2013. Pos. Naz. Pilota Team Q1 Q2 Q3
1. GER S.Vettel Red Bull Renault 1:22.318 1:28.166 1:25.425
2. GBR L.Hamilton Mercedes Mercedes 1:23.801 1:27.649 1:25.512
3. FIN V.Bottas Williams Renault 1:23.446 1:28.419 1:25.897
4. GER N.Rosberg Mercedes Mercedes 1:23.840 1:28.420 1:26.008
5. AUS M.Webber Red Bull Renault 1:23.247 1:28.145 1:26.208
6. SPA F.Alonso Ferrari Ferrari 1:23.224 1:28.788 1:26.504
7. FRA J.Vergne Toro Rosso Ferrari 1:24.159 1:28.527 1:26.543
8. GER A.Sutil Force India Mercedes 1:24.551 1:28.799 1:27.348
9. FIN K.Raikkonen Lotus Renault 1:24.451 1:28.667 1:27.432
10. AUS D.Ricciardo Toro Rosso Ferrari 1:24.770 1:29.359 1:27.946
11. GER N.Hulkenberg Sauber Ferrari 1:23.899 1:29.435
12. MEX S.Perez McLaren Mercedes 1:24.176 1:29.761
13. VEN P.Maldonado Williams Renault 1:24.776 1:29.917
14. GBR J.Button McLaren Mercedes 1:24.021 1:30.068
15. MEX E. Gutierrez Sauber Ferrari 1:24.408 1:30.315
16. BRA F.Massa Ferrari Ferrari 1:23.735 1:30.354
17. GBR P.di Resta Force India Mercedes 1:24.908
18. FRA C.Pic Caterham Renault 1:25.626
19. FRA R.Grosjean Lotus Renault 1:25.716
20. FRA J. Bianchi Marussia Cosworth 1:26.508
21. GBR M.Chilton Marussia Cosworth 1:27.062
22. NET G.Garde Caterham Renault 1:27.110

sarahmic

Sports fan
Super VIP
Vettel made it third time lucky in Canada

Starting from pole for the third consecutive year, Vettel was never troubled in his Red Bull, finishing 14 seconds clear of title rival Fernando Alonso in his Ferrari.

The Spaniard is now Vettel's nearest challenger 36 points adrift after beating Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton in a thrilling late battle for the runner-up spot.

The win made up for the fact Vettel had failed to take victory from pole the previous two years, notably in 2011 when he lost out on the final lap to McLaren's Jenson Button.

On that occasion, Vettel made an error on the final lap that opened the door for the Englishman to take a memorable chequered flag given he had paid six visits to the pits, including one for a drive-through penalty.

Last year Vettel had to settle for fourth behind Lewis Hamilton, so his joy on the podium this time was palpable in getting the monkey off his back and claiming his 29th career victory.

"Finally I can tick this one off the list, so I am very proud of that," said Vettel.

"We've had good races here before, but it didn't come together to win, particularly two years ago when I was very close, only to lose it on the last lap. It was my mistake, but I made up for that today.

"And the sun also came out, so it couldn't have gone any better - a perfect day."

The cool, damp conditions that pervaded over practice on Friday and in qualifying on Saturday and had resulted in a few surprises, gave way to brighter, warmer conditions.

Under those climes, and given the pre-race forecast of only a 20 per cent chance of rain, it meant the prospect of anything other than a Vettel victory was always going to be a long shot.

The outcome was effectively decided on lap one as Vettel opened up a two-second lead on Hamilton from which there was no looking back.

There were only two notable moments of consternation - a brush with a wall on lap 11 and an off at turn one on lap 52, the latter prompting a call of "settle down" from his race engineer.

For once, Vettel heeded it and come the conclusion he was 14 seconds clear of Fernando Alonso, who enjoyed a thrilling tussle with Hamilton he eventually won on lap 63.

"It was a great race with a great car," said Vettel.

"I had a very good start which was very important, and then I was able to really go with the car.

"I was able to build a bit of a gap, which we kept throughout, and from there I was able to control the race, control the gaps."

Alonso appreciated that in starting sixth and finishing second it was a case of damage limitation as he now trails Vettel by 36 points.

"Yesterday we obviously didn't have a good qualifying, I wasn't able to put the lap together, and the conditions didn't help," said Alonso.

"But in dry conditions, the car on Friday was good, so we had some hope (of victory).

"But when you are fighting with top drivers, and I had a very good fight with Mark (Webber), Nico (Rosberg), and then Lewis at the end, it's not easy, even if you have a little more pace, because they are super talented.

"In the end this second place is like a victory for us because we scored some points at the end of a difficult weekend."

For Hamilton, the final stint on the medium compound tyres proved his undoing, resulting in him finishing third for the third time this year in his debut campaign with Mercedes.

"I hope we can get a bit quicker in the next race," said Hamilton, with reference to the British Grand Prix at Silverstone on June 30.

"The car's getting better, the guys are doing a fantastic job, so we just need to keep pushing to close the gap to these guys (Vettel and Alonso)."

Red Bull's Webber had to settle for fourth, primarily due to a collision with Caterham's Giedo van der Garde who ignored blue flags and damaged the front wing of the Australian's car.

Behind Webber, Monaco GP winner Rosberg finished a staggering 70 seconds adrift of Vettel, and was the only other driver on the lead lap come the chequered flag.

Toro Rosso's Jean-Eric Vergne was a career-high sixth, whilst Paul Di Resta superbly made a one-stop strategy work to claim seventh.

Lotus' Kimi Raikkonen could only manage ninth, equalling Michael Schumacher's record of 24 consecutive races in the points, but is now 44 points behind Vettel.

As for McLaren, winners of this event for the last three years, the race was a bitter disappointment with Sergio Perez and Jenson Button out of the points in 11th and 12th.

sarahmic

Sports fan
Super VIP
F1 GP Canada 2013

1. Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1h32:09.143
2. Alonso Ferrari + 14.408
3. Hamilton Mercedes + 15.942
4. Webber Red Bull-Renault + 25.731
5. Rosberg Mercedes + 1:09.725
6. Vergne Toro Rosso-Ferrari + 1 lap
7. Di Resta Force India-Mercedes + 1 lap
8. Massa Ferrari + 1 lap