Which cable for supplying power to actuator?

dog-man

VIP
Donating Member
Is alarm cable any good for using on my actuator?

If no, what type is best to use?

SilverHippy

Registered
Hi, Alarm cable no too thin, I used this :-
Code:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-3-4-CORE-ELECTRICAL-FLEX-CABLE-TWIN-TRIPLE-WIRE-CUT-LENGTH-0-75-1-1-5-2-5mm2-/282719569188
Should be 4 core, 1mm2 whatever length you need, tip = get more than you need & if you can get 5 core then that would give you 1 over in case of any problems.
Measure twice & cut once.

Regards :thum:

SilverHippy

Registered
Just measured mine it's cores are 5 x 1.17mm stranded not solid. So 1mm or 1.5mm would be ok depending on length of run.

Regards

dog-man

VIP
Donating Member
It's quite a long run. Not measured it yet, it's pouring down here.

I might have to replace what is currently there. It was installed 20 years ago and when it enters the house, it runs under the floorboards in two rooms. There might be a break in it as I am getting error 2 when I try to move the dish. I am going to clean up the cable joins first though to rule out oxidization. It's not been used for around 18 years as I went to H-H motors.

SilverHippy

Registered
Another link here :-

Code:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/White-Round-Flexible-Flex-Cable-2-3-4-5-Core-0-75mm-1mm-1-5mm-2-5mm-Electric/183851960883?hash=item2ace6e4a33:g:tQgAAOSwj4ldCN6e

You might also need a cable gland :-

Code:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IP68-NYLON-CABLE-GLAND-M12-16-20-12MM-16MM-20MM-CCTV-IP-POE-ELECTRICITY-JUNCTION/223637839384?hash=item3411da9e18:g:8VgAAOSwcHVdY5zM

I'm not sure if the actuator comes with one, on mine the drain hole for the gearbox must be on the bottom which puts the cable entry at the top & prone to water entry.

barney115

Donating Member
Staff member
Administrator
See my thread about " error 2 " or "ER 2" => https://www.sat-universe.com/showthread.php?t=314729

i replaced my 4 core cable only to discover it did nothing
and V-box still gave ER2 message it turned out to be the reed sensor and cheap £2 fix all along .
i have my cable gland and 4 core cable connected on the bottom of my Actuator Arm and there is a Drip hole for water to leak just before where the 4core cable goes in .
My new Arm has given no problem since a month ago now
it has not rained since then which is really unbelievable
even now as i type its Fog and very dry and humid warm weather 17°C .

SilverHippy

Registered
"i have my cable gland and 4 core cable connected on the bottom of my Actuator Arm and there is a Drip hole for water to leak just before where the 4core cable goes in"
Glad to see that the design has been improved. Yeah same weather where I am, land of the mist.
Regards

dog-man

VIP
Donating Member
See my thread about " error 2 " or "ER 2" => https://www.sat-universe.com/showthread.php?t=314729

i replaced my 4 core cable only to discover it did nothing
and V-box still gave ER2 message it turned out to be the reed sensor and cheap £2 fix all along .
i have my cable gland and 4 core cable connected on the bottom of my Actuator Arm and there is a Drip hole for water to leak just before where the 4core cable goes in .
My new Arm has given no problem since a month ago now
it has not rained since then which is really unbelievable
even now as i type its Fog and very dry and humid warm weather 17°C .

I trimmed the ends of the wires so that they were nice and shiny. V-box now counts up or down but only if I repeatedly press the East / West buttons (Stabbing motion). If I keep the buttons pressed down, it will count one digit either way and then give an Error 2 message. The actuator does NOT move even when repeatedly pressing the buttons and the counter rises or lowers one digit each time. I will fiddle with the wires in the V-box again tomorrow in case it is just not making a good connection.
I will be surprised if the reed is duff as before fitting the actuator to the polar mount and dish, I did test it, although with a very short cable supplied by the seller. I do have spares, just in case. I won't be able to fiddle with the dish end until Friday the earliest I guess as lots of rain is forecast here.

One thing I did before fitting the actuator, after reading something about doing this was to fully unwind the actuator by hand to lubricate with grease, then rewound to about half-way. I then fitted it with dish looking more or less straight ahead, dead centre.
Could I have interfered with the limits by doing that?

Is there a guide anywhere to installing an actuator? I have not done one before and the instructions that came with it are pretty poor.

I have yet to connect the V-box to my VU Ultimo 4K.

To make matters worse, my bloody back has gone again. :D

SilverHippy

Registered
"One thing I did before fitting the actuator, after reading something about doing this was to fully unwind the actuator by hand to lubricate with grease, then rewound to about half-way. I then fitted it with dish looking more or less straight ahead, dead centre.
Could I have interfered with the limits by doing that?"

Yes, but it still should still be able to move in one direction. Sounds like it could have a faulty motor connection.
It might be easier to remove it & work on it at ground level or take Vbox up to the dish.
If you have manually moved the inner tube to a central position then you will also have to reset the limit switches to match. I set mine up by having the actuator almost fully retracted & dish position on max East but your method should also work once the limits have been reset.

dog-man

VIP
Donating Member
I am beginning to think that I might have incorrectly wired up the actuator. As soon as it is dry enough I will re-check the wires on the actuator.
If I have done so, it is possible that I have blown the reed. Is there any way to check if a reed is faulty?

I do have spares.

jenseneverest

Registered
I am beginning to think that I might have incorrectly wired up the actuator. As soon as it is dry enough I will re-check the wires on the actuator.
If I have done so, it is possible that I have blown the reed. Is there any way to check if a reed is faulty?

I do have spares.

Im pretty sure your not meant to manually wind them, especially right up to the ends.....your meant to drive them with the vbox whilst stopping the ram end from turning with a screwdriver or something similar if it is not connected to the dish.

TBH i would make up a little run of cable and test it fully indoors before going anywhere near the dish.

Check the stops are working / adjusted and that it is counting before going to the dish to finish setup.

Tesfer

Registered
I agree with above post about testing inside before setting up outside. Definitely check the mechanical stops are working in both directions.

To test the reed switch connect the v-Box (as described in above post). If the reed switch is broken the motor won't move and you will see er2 on the v-Box display.

dog-man

VIP
Donating Member
I did test the actuator before fitting it but not after unwinding it by hand. I suspect that I might have wired it incorrectly. I was in a lot of pain that day with my back and it was very hot. Me and the sun don't get on. :D So, I was probably very stressed and didn't take enough care. Hopefully I can have a look tomorrow if I have the time, if not then over the weekend.

SilverHippy

Registered

I do have spares.

Yes, connect multimeter across the leads, set meter to ohms scale & pass a magnet along it's length. Meter should read '0' when reed is closed & infinity when reed is open.

dog-man

VIP
Donating Member
Thanks..........

I will test it with a short lead first to see if there is any sign of life in it. Then if necessary, dig out my multimeter.

dog-man

VIP
Donating Member
I am getting too old for this. :D
I am still strong but every day another ache.
62 but feeling 70. :D I am feeling the result of a very physical life and it is hitting me hard lately. :(

SilverHippy

Registered
i'm 69 in Aug gotta keep moving, talking to a neighbor a few years ago, I said "hi see you're still walking & breathing" he said "yeah but the hard part is doing them both together"

Regards

dog-man

VIP
Donating Member
Too many years long distance running for me and many years as a dog handler for the prison service. My joints are all ruined. Not to mention the brain tumour at 35 years. All have taken their toll, and I am going down hill fast. :D But, I have a very young grandson who keeps me going. :D
I have some years left in me yet although at a slower pace. :D

dog-man

VIP
Donating Member
OK, back is much better. Actuator is working fine. I am lucky I didn't blow the reed as I did wire it incorrectly. :(

Sadly, we are getting heavy sudden showers so don't think I will be doing much today. Supposed to be dry today. :(