Fry quits Twitter over women sex quotes?

sofien72tu

Super VIP
Fry quits Twitter over women sex quotes?
Monday, November 1 2010, 09:08 GMT
By Mayer Nissim,

Stephen Fry has seemingly quit Twitter after he allegedly made controversial comments about female sexuality in a recent magazine interview.

The Observer quoted content from an interview given by Fry in this month's Attitude magazine, where he suggested that men "find it difficult to believe that women are as interested in sex as they are".

"For good reason," Fry told the gay monthly. "If women liked sex as much as men, there would be straight cruising areas in the way there are gay cruising areas.

"Women would go and hang around in churchyards thinking, 'God, I've got to get my f**king rocks off', or they'd go to Hampstead Heath and meet strangers to shag behind a bush. It doesn't happen. Why? Because the only women you can have sex with like that wish to be paid for it."

He continued: "I feel sorry for straight men. The only reason women will have sex with them is that sex is the price they are willing to pay for a relationship with a man, which is what they want.

"Of course, a lot of women will deny this and say, 'Oh no, but I love sex, I love it!'. But do they go around having it the way that gay men do?"

Following a number of newspaper reports and columns on the interview, several of which included input from feminist writers and commentators, Fry responded to the controversy on Twitter.

"So some f**king paper misquotes a humorous interview I gave, which itself misquoted me and now I'm the Antichrist. I give up," he said. "Bye bye."

The subtitle on Fry's Twitter page now reads "No longer in service" and he has not posted a message since. Fry quit the social networking website last year after being called "boring" by a follower, but he returned soon after.