Note: Visitors from certain countries might see in-text advertising(underlind words in posts) or pop-under ads.
It is only shown to unregistered visitors or members that haven't made any posts. So you can easily get rid of it.

World-Of-Satellite

Formula 1 News

Sports News

Old 28-09-2008, 23:01  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Thanked 14,665 Times in 5,490 Posts

Mixed emotions for Hamilton
British driver extends title lead to seven points

Lewis Hamilton was happy to pick up six points in Singapore to capitalise on Ferrari's bad day at the office.

At the start of Formula One's first night race, Hamilton slotted into second place behind pole sitter Felipe Massa, with his title rival pulling further away with each passing lap.

However, a safety car period and the ensuing rush to pit saw Ferrari throw it away when Massa was told to leave the pits despite the fuel hose still attached to his car - the result was Massa dropped all the way to last and never recovered.

Hamilton, meanwhile, was also dropped down the order in that mad pit battle, coming out in ninth place. The McLaren driver managed to work his way back up the order to finish in third place, but was unable to gain a greater advantage over Massa due to slower cars ahead of him on the street circuit.

"I honestly can't complain," the McLaren driver said. "We were competitive in the first stint, and with the safety car we were fortunate to get out.

"It was just a bit unfortunate to be stuck in traffic. Nevertheless to have a podium finish in first Singapore night race is a great result. I can't complain, seven points I am quite happy with.

"For sure, it is all about scoring points. We came here with a one-point lead and I could see Ferrari were very competitive.

"I knew it would be very tough to beat them and especially after the start I could see I was behind.

He added: "We got some good points today."

Hamilton's six-point haul in Singapore has given him a seven-point advantage over Massa in the drivers' standings with a total 30 still to play for.
The Following User Says Thank You to sky star 2 For This Useful Post:
norberto51 (28-09-2008)
Old 29-09-2008, 15:57  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Massa - I won't give up
Brazilian vows to fight back after pit-lane chaos

Felipe Massa admitted the pit-lane drama that ended his hopes of victory at the Singapore Grand Prix was a bitter pill to swallow, but vowed to hunt down Lewis Hamilton's seven-point lead.

The Ferrari driver had started the race - the first in Formula One history held at night - on pole and looked well set to overtake McLaren's Lewis Hamilton at the top of the drivers' standings.

However, after the safety car had been deployed following Renault driver Nelson Piquet's crash the Brazilian entered the pits.

There Massa was incorrectly given the green light to leave while the fuel hose was still attached and he knocked over a member of the pit crew as he attempted to head back out on to the circuit.

He reached the end of the pit lane where mechanics struggled to remove the hose before he was able to rejoin the race at the back.
Disappointing

Massa finished in 13th place while Renault's Fernando Alonso took advantage to snatch his first victory this season.

Even more disappointing was that title rival Hamilton claimed third place to secure six points, opening up a seven-point gap at the top of the championship with three races remaining.

"It is hard to deal with losing in this fashion," he said. "It was a race that was within our grasp with a car that was just the way I wanted.

"We had a good strategy and all the signs were there that we could get a one-two finish. But things can change in a moment and that is what happened."

Massa refused to blame anyone for the incident and instead vowed to give his best shot in overturning the gap between himself and Hamilton.

"At the pit stop one of our guys made a mistake but we are only human," he added.

Crashed out

"Each one of us always tries to do our best and these things can happen. On this track it is almost impossible to overtake and ending up at the back meant I had no chance of getting into the points.

"We have the potential to do well as we saw today and we will give it our best shot. We mustn't give up and I'm sure we won't."

Ferrari's disappointment was compounded after Kimi Raikkonen crashed out of the race with three laps remaining and also missed out on the points.

Consequently, McLaren leapfrogged Ferrari into first place in the constructors' standings and Raikkonen admitted morale was low in the team.

"My situation in the championship was already rather compromised so this doesn't really make much difference but I am unhappy because the team lost precious points in the constructors' classification," the world champion said.

"Clearly morale is not high today but I am not used to giving up and I will do my very best to try and help the team reach its targets."
Old 29-09-2008, 15:58  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Raikkonen concedes defeat
Defending champion left to rue Singapore no-show

Kimi Raikkonen has conceded that any hope he had of defending his world title has evaporated after his disastrous Singapore Grand Prix.

The Ferrari star finished outside the points for his fourth consecutive race after ramming his car into the barriers with just four laps left when he was in fifth.

The finish leaves the Finn 27 points adrift of leader Lewis Hamilton with three races to go.

"It was a pretty small chance anyhow," he said of his title chances.

"I'm not sad for my fifth place but I'm sorry for the team to lose those points. But for sure we'll try to do better next race."
Best

Raikkonen has not won a race since the Spanish Grand Prix in April and the last time he scored any championship points was at Germany in July, when he finished sixth.

But his position at Ferrari is guaranteed after signing a new contract and he vowed to do all he could to help the team win the constructors' title.

"I am not used to giving up and I will do my very best to try and help the team reach its targets," he told reporters.

With team-mate Felipe Massa also finishing outside the points, there is every chance that Raikkonen will be under orders to help the Brazilian in his bid to win the drivers' title.

Massa is now seven points behind McLaren's Hamilton after the Briton clinched a third-placed finish in Asia.

Crash

"I know what the team wants - they want to win the world championship," said Raikkonen.

"We will see what happens. I'm trying to win races too and we will see what happens. I'm out of the championship anyhow."

The Finn added that he crashed as he tried to pass Timo Glock to lift himself into fourth position.

"I was trying to attack Glock in case he might make a mistake but I went slightly wide at the chicane, jumping over the kerb, and when the car landed I lost control and ended up in the barriers," he said.
Old 30-09-2008, 15:52  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Alonso not drawn on future

Spaniard says French team is his 'first priority

Fernando Alonso would not be drawn on his future with Renault after claiming his first victory of the season in the Singapore Grand Prix.
The Spaniard says he feels 'at home' with the team after Sunday's triumph in Formula One's historic inaugural night race.
But, while saying Renault is his first priority, he has not committed his long-term future to the team.
Asked whether he is now preparing for the future with the team, Alonso, who rejoined Renault after spending the 2007 season with McLaren, said: "I didn't say that.
At home

"It's not changing the decision for next year. As I've always said, Renault will be my first priority because I feel I'm at home in this team."
Alonso raced to victory after starting Sunday's race in 15th place on the grid and believed his win was well deserved after all the hard work put in by the team over the season.
"It was a great weekend for everyone in Formula One, the first night race," he added.
"We all had a new challenge in front of us and we will all be part of history.
"We (Renault) have had a tough season but now we are fighting for fourth place in the constructor standings.
"This victory is well deserved as the guys worked extremely hard all season."
Briatore pleased

Team boss Flavio Briatore hailed the victory as an important one for the team.
"This is an amazing victory for Renault and for Fernando," he said.
"We knew the car was very competitive and we were very disappointed at the end of qualifying.
"The car was extremely quick and stronger than the Ferrari and McLaren and although we had some luck when the safety car came out, we deserved this victory.
"It is a very important result for Renault after two difficult seasons and helps us prepare for 2009 in the best way possible.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:48  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Alonso not drawn on future
Spaniard says French team is his 'first priority'

Fernando Alonso would not be drawn on his future with Renault after claiming his first victory of the season in the Singapore Grand Prix.

The Spaniard says he feels 'at home' with the team after Sunday's triumph in Formula One's historic inaugural night race.

But, while saying Renault is his first priority, he has not committed his long-term future to the team.

Asked whether he is now preparing for the future with the team, Alonso, who rejoined Renault after spending the 2007 season with McLaren, said: "I didn't say that.
At home

"It's not changing the decision for next year. As I've always said, Renault will be my first priority because I feel I'm at home in this team."

Alonso raced to victory after starting Sunday's race in 15th place on the grid and believed his win was well deserved after all the hard work put in by the team over the season.

"It was a great weekend for everyone in Formula One, the first night race," he added.

"We all had a new challenge in front of us and we will all be part of history.

"We (Renault) have had a tough season but now we are fighting for fourth place in the constructor standings.

"This victory is well deserved as the guys worked extremely hard all season."

Briatore pleased

Team boss Flavio Briatore hailed the victory as an important one for the team.

"This is an amazing victory for Renault and for Fernando," he said.

"We knew the car was very competitive and we were very disappointed at the end of qualifying.

"The car was extremely quick and stronger than the Ferrari and McLaren and although we had some luck when the safety car came out, we deserved this victory.

"It is a very important result for Renault after two difficult seasons and helps us prepare for 2009 in the best way possible.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:48  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Raikkonen concedes defeat
Defending champion left to rue Singapore no-show

Kimi Raikkonen has conceded that any hope he had of defending his world title has evaporated after his disastrous Singapore Grand Prix.

The Ferrari star finished outside the points for his fourth consecutive race after ramming his car into the barriers with just four laps left when he was in fifth.

The finish leaves the Finn 27 points adrift of leader Lewis Hamilton with three races to go.

"It was a pretty small chance anyhow," he said of his title chances.

"I'm not sad for my fifth place but I'm sorry for the team to lose those points. But for sure we'll try to do better next race."
Best

Raikkonen has not won a race since the Spanish Grand Prix in April and the last time he scored any championship points was at Germany in July, when he finished sixth.

But his position at Ferrari is guaranteed after signing a new contract and he vowed to do all he could to help the team win the constructors' title.

"I am not used to giving up and I will do my very best to try and help the team reach its targets," he told reporters.

With team-mate Felipe Massa also finishing outside the points, there is every chance that Raikkonen will be under orders to help the Brazilian in his bid to win the drivers' title.

Massa is now seven points behind McLaren's Hamilton after the Briton clinched a third-placed finish in Asia.

Crash

"I know what the team wants - they want to win the world championship," said Raikkonen.

"We will see what happens. I'm trying to win races too and we will see what happens. I'm out of the championship anyhow."

The Finn added that he crashed as he tried to pass Timo Glock to lift himself into fourth position.

"I was trying to attack Glock in case he might make a mistake but I went slightly wide at the chicane, jumping over the kerb, and when the car landed I lost control and ended up in the barriers," he said.

"Clearly, morale is not high today."
Old 01-10-2008, 08:49  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Massa - I won't give up
Brazilian vows to fight back after pit-lane chaos

Felipe Massa admitted the pit-lane drama that ended his hopes of victory at the Singapore Grand Prix was a bitter pill to swallow, but vowed to hunt down Lewis Hamilton's seven-point lead.

The Ferrari driver had started the race - the first in Formula One history held at night - on pole and looked well set to overtake McLaren's Lewis Hamilton at the top of the drivers' standings.

However, after the safety car had been deployed following Renault driver Nelson Piquet's crash the Brazilian entered the pits.

There Massa was incorrectly given the green light to leave while the fuel hose was still attached and he knocked over a member of the pit crew as he attempted to head back out on to the circuit.

He reached the end of the pit lane where mechanics struggled to remove the hose before he was able to rejoin the race at the back.
Disappointing

Massa finished in 13th place while Renault's Fernando Alonso took advantage to snatch his first victory this season.

Even more disappointing was that title rival Hamilton claimed third place to secure six points, opening up a seven-point gap at the top of the championship with three races remaining.

"It is hard to deal with losing in this fashion," he said. "It was a race that was within our grasp with a car that was just the way I wanted.

"We had a good strategy and all the signs were there that we could get a one-two finish. But things can change in a moment and that is what happened."

Massa refused to blame anyone for the incident and instead vowed to give his best shot in overturning the gap between himself and Hamilton.

"At the pit stop one of our guys made a mistake but we are only human," he added.

Crashed out

"Each one of us always tries to do our best and these things can happen. On this track it is almost impossible to overtake and ending up at the back meant I had no chance of getting into the points.

"We have the potential to do well as we saw today and we will give it our best shot. We mustn't give up and I'm sure we won't."

Ferrari's disappointment was compounded after Kimi Raikkonen crashed out of the race with three laps remaining and also missed out on the points.

Consequently, McLaren leapfrogged Ferrari into first place in the constructors' standings and Raikkonen admitted morale was low in the team.

"My situation in the championship was already rather compromised so this doesn't really make much difference but I am unhappy because the team lost precious points in the constructors' classification," the world champion said.

"Clearly morale is not high today but I am not used to giving up and I will do my very best to try and help the team reach its targets."
Old 01-10-2008, 08:49  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Hamilton feeling positive
British ace praises consistency of team

Lewis Hamilton believes McLaren are getting "stronger and stronger" as he races towards his first-ever Formula One world title.

The British ace came third at Singapore on Sunday to extend his lead in the World Championship going into the final three GPs in Japan, China and Brazil.

He took full advantage of nearest rival Felipe Massa finishing only 13th on Sunday to now sit seven points clear at the top.

While knowing nothing is certain after narrowly missing out on the title last year, Hamilton - who is now 2/7 on with Sky Bet to win the championship - is full of confidence as the season reaches its climax.

He said: "We started the year feeling really strong and we have just kept developing that. I'd say now the team is the most positive and together it's ever been.

"Since the middle of the season, we've got the car in such a sweet-spot that it's been competitive at every race. I think Singapore showed just what we could do. We didn't really put a foot wrong."
Credit

He added: "I've got to give credit to the engineers and strategists for helping me to save fuel during the first safety car period. The guys in the garage pulled off two perfect pitstops. What more can I ask for?

"We're just getting stronger and stronger. We all want this so much that every race just pulls us closer and closer together.

"I can't really describe that feeling of team-work, but it's incredibly strong. It's what keeps us all going."

As Massa could not score, Hamilton coasted to a comfortable third place instead of pushing Williams' Nico Rosberg for second and potentially crashing out.

He added: "The six points we got on Sunday were pretty important to our title chances.

"We're ahead now in both world championships and have to keep focused during these next three races.

Consistency

"I've said before that consistency is what will win this world championship, and I feel really pleased that we did that in Singapore.

"We only finished third, but we couldn't really have asked for more from that result, and I didn't want to risk throwing those points away with any kind of move as you never know what might happen.

"We also made all the right decisions at the right moments in the race, and the car still feels fantastic to drive.

"All I can do is take one race at a time while keeping one eye on the final result at the end of the year."
Old 01-10-2008, 08:50  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Ferrari boss voices concerns
Montezemolo intends to talk to other teams about the situation

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo has voiced his concern over the "circus" track and the use of the safety car at Sunday's Singapore Grand Prix.

While Formula One's first night race has been hailed as a great success, Montezemolo does not agree.

He said before the race that street circuits and the lack of overtaking opportunities were not the right way forward for the sport.

And the Ferrari boss, appointed this month as the first chairman of the Formula One Teams Association, intends to talk to other teams about the situation.
Spectacle

He told Tuesday's Gazzetta dello Sport newspaper: "When we race on tracks which should be used for the circus, anything can happen including the spectacle of the Safety Car.

"All this is humiliating for F1 and it is an aspect I want to talk about with the other teams in the next few weeks."

Singapore saw two safety car interventions, the first of which turned the race upside down and contributed to Spaniard Fernando Alonso's unexpected victory for Renault.

Ferrari's Felipe Massa had his race ruined by a bungled pit stop while team-mate Kimi Raikkonen crashed near the end to mean the team failed to score any points.

Extend

McLaren's Lewis Hamilton was third behind winner Alonso to extend his championship lead over Massa to seven points with three races left, while Raikkonen is out of contention.

But Montezemolo believes his team can still get something from the season, saying: "We have the best Ferrari, Massa is the best. I expect... Raikkonen to show he is world champion in the remaining races, to help Massa, to race for the good of the team and to finish in front of the McLarens."

The team president also backed the mechanics after their pit stop blunder, adding: "We have extraordinary mechanics who in other occasions have swung results our way.

"We must stay close to each other because Ferrari are always world champions and are still in the running to win."
Old 01-10-2008, 15:36  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Ferrari boss voices concerns
Montezemolo intends to talk to other teams about the situation

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo has voiced his concern over the "circus" track and the use of the safety car at Sunday's Singapore Grand Prix.

While Formula One's first night race has been hailed as a great success, Montezemolo does not agree.

He said before the race that street circuits and the lack of overtaking opportunities were not the right way forward for the sport.

And the Ferrari boss, appointed this month as the first chairman of the Formula One Teams Association, intends to talk to other teams about the situation.
Spectacle

He told Tuesday's Gazzetta dello Sport newspaper: "When we race on tracks which should be used for the circus, anything can happen including the spectacle of the Safety Car.

"All this is humiliating for F1 and it is an aspect I want to talk about with the other teams in the next few weeks."

Singapore saw two safety car interventions, the first of which turned the race upside down and contributed to Spaniard Fernando Alonso's unexpected victory for Renault.

Ferrari's Felipe Massa had his race ruined by a bungled pit stop while team-mate Kimi Raikkonen crashed near the end to mean the team failed to score any points.
Extend

McLaren's Lewis Hamilton was third behind winner Alonso to extend his championship lead over Massa to seven points with three races left, while Raikkonen is out of contention.

But Montezemolo believes his team can still get something from the season, saying: "We have the best Ferrari, Massa is the best. I expect... Raikkonen to show he is world champion in the remaining races, to help Massa, to race for the good of the team and to finish in front of the McLarens."

The team president also backed the mechanics after their pit stop blunder, adding: "We have extraordinary mechanics who in other occasions have swung results our way.

"We must stay close to each other because Ferrari are always world champions and are still in the running to win."

The Following User Says Thank You to sky star 2 For This Useful Post:
empb (25-11-2012)