Formula 1 News

sky star 2

Super VIP
GOOD START BY HAMILTON

Pole-sitter Lewis Hamilton made a clean getaway at today's European Grand Prix at Valencia to lead at the end of the first lap but further back Brawn GP's Jenson Button suffered a miserable start.

Starting fifth on the grid, the world championship leader dropped from fifth to eighth after struggling through the first couple of corners, while a lunge on Renault's Fernando Alonso failed further round the circuit.

Hamilton's McLaren team-mate Heikki Kovalainen held second off the grid and was still there at the end of the first lap, while Button's team-mate Rubens Barrichello was where he started, in third.

Renault new boy Romain Grosjean, Toyota's Timo Glock and Toro Rosso's Sebestien Buemi all took to the pits at the end of the first lap after clashing in the midfield.

The under-fire Luca Badoer used Ferrari's KERS system to the full off the line, and had made up six places by the end of the first lap.

Button's tribulations in the pack prompted his nearest challenger in the title race, Red Bull's Mark Webber, to come on the team radio claiming the Briton had cut a chicane, and on lap five Webber swept passed him for eighth.

It emerged Button's team had told him to allow Webber by as a result of cutting the chicane on the opening lap.

Badoer's early surge began to falter by lap six, the veteran Italian - standing in this weekend for the injured Felipe Massa - slipped back to 17th, ahead only of the wounded trio of Grosjean, Glock and Buemi.

Badoer's Ferrari team-mate Kimi Raikkonen was one of the main beneficiaries of Button's first-lap woes and was running a strong fourth, keeping in touch with Barrichello, who was the quickest man in qualifying yesterday based on fuel-corrected times.

Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel was another loser on the opening lap, ceding his fourth place on the grid to Raikkonen and settling into fifth spot.

French debutant Grosjean, meanwhile, continued his hair-raising afternoon as he suffered a spin on lap nine but recovered without losing 18th place.

By lap 12 Hamilton's lead over Kovalainen had extended to over six seconds as the reigning champion remained well on course for a second successive win.

Barrichello, meanwhile, had no answer to the McLarens at the front and had slipped nine second back on Hamilton by lap 14.

Hamilton became the first man to pit for a scheduled stop at the end of lap 15, handing the lead to Kovalainen.

sky star 2

Super VIP
EUROPEAN GRAND PRIX: LAP-BY-LAP

FINISH: That's it from Valencia. Please join us again next weekend for the Spa GP

FINISH: Grosjean is 15th ahead of Alguersuari and Badoer

FINISH: Kovalainen is fourth ahead of Rosberg, Alonso, Button and Kubica

FINISH: Hamilton takes second place ahead of Raikkonen but it is Barrichello's day. The Brazilian's victory moves him up into second in the Drivers' Championship

FINISH: And Rubens Barrichello claims his first race win in five years, taking the chequered flag at the 2009 European GP!

Lap 57: Last lap for Barrichello...

Lap 56: Glock sets the fastest lap of the race, a 1:38.683

Lap 56: Hamilton is on track for his second podium of the season while this will be Raikkonen's third

Lap 55: Barrichello is on course to ensure Brazil dominates the Valencia GP as last year it was Felipe Massa who won the race

Lap 54: Kubica is in the final points-paying position having leapfrogged Webber in the final round of stops

SKYBET: "Only mechanics can rob Rubens now - 1/66 to finally put himself back on the top step of the Podium - and who knows - bring himself back into the Championship hunt"
"Button 2/7, Webber 13/2, Barrichello 15/2, Vettel 10/1, Hamilton 10/1"
"Brawn 1/4, RBR 11/4"

Lap 53: Rosberg and Kubica both put in their best laps of the race

Lap 52: Nice race for Sutil who is up to 10th place. He started 12th on the grid

Lap 51: Raikkonen, who is third, is well off Hamilton's pace, over eight seconds adrift and with pretty much no chance of catching the McLaren

Lap 50: Hamilton's father, meanwhile, is still seething in the pits after the botched second stop cost the reigning Champion the lead

Lap 49: Barrichello is pulling away from Hamilton and has the gap up to 6.3s

Lap 48: Button is charging as he attempts to close the gap to Alonso. The Championship leader needs as many points as possible here this afternoon

Lap 47: Not a great race for Red Bull who look as if they may not score a single World Championship point

Lap 46: Webber is outside the points now, back in ninth place

Lap 45: A spinning Toro Rosso, spewing lots of brake dust, brings out the yellow flags for short time

Lap 44: Rosberg and Webber both pit

Lap 43: So Barrichello is leading Rosberg, who has yet to pit, followed by Hamilton, Raikkonen, Kovalainen

Lap 42: Alonso and Button both pit

Lap 41: Raikkonen has stopped as well and came out ahead of Kovalainen as Ferrari leapfrog the McLaren man

Lap 40: Barrichello pits for 6.8s and he comes out P1!

Lap 39: Nakajima is limping back to the pits after his left rear tyre disintegrated, leaving him with just the rim left. He returns to the pits and gets new tyres

SKYBET: "McLaren have conspired to lose this race - from 1/5 favourite, Lewis is now tracking Rubens Barrichello, who is himself now a 1/8 shot to win the race"

Lap 39: Barrichello is flying, he does a 1:38.990, a new fastest lap time

Lap 38: Kovalainen pits from second place and comes out just behind Alonso in sixth place

Lap 37: Hamilton pits from the lead. He stops for 13.4s as it looked as if his mechanics were not ready for him. He comes out behind Rosberg in fifth place

SKYBET: "It's a two horse race at the front, with Lewis at 1/3 and Rubens a 9/4 shot now ahead of the next round of stops. The big changes could be in the World Championship markets, with Button looking unlikely to gain much, Vettel out, and a poor day-out for Webber. Could Hamilton yet fight for the title?"

Lap 36: Badoer is off the track, again. Spin number two. Meanwhile Button is starting to attack Webber and has closed the gap to less than a second

Lap 36: Trulli pits

Lap 35: Back at the front, Hamilton is not pulling away from Barrichello with any great pace. Still less than four seconds between the two

Lap 34: Glock pits and Badoer takes his drive-though. What fun times!

Lap 33: Race control reports there's a drive-through penalty for Luca Badoer for touching the white line. Here's hoping he doesn't get another for speeding in the pits while taking the penalty. The Italian was handed four speeding fines on Friday alone!

Lap 32: Button is up to eighth place as Fisichella finally pits

Lap 31: So now it's just Fisichella and Trulli who need to stop

Lap 30: Nakajima comes in for his first stop of the afternoon

Lap 29: Grosjean comes out ahead of Badoer after the Italian appears to move aside in the pitlane to let him by. Weird. Badoer also touches the white line on his way out

Lap 28: Badoer pits and Grosjean pits as well while Michael Schumacher shakes his head (in disgust?)

Lap 27: Fisichella, Nakajima, Trulli and Badoer are the only four who have yet to stop

Lap 26: Except for Barrichello jumping Kovalainen and Vettel dropping out, the top eight is as it was

Lap 25: Badoer is up to 15th but has yet to pit

Lap 24: Vettel retires after his car slows down and stops out on track. A small puff of smoke is seen. Could this have been his second engine failure of the weekend?

Lap 23: Hamilton is once again leading the grand prix, 3.4s up on Barrichello who was able to jump the other McLaren in the first round of pit stops

Lap 22: Heidfeld and Sutil pit, Alguersuari also comes in for his first stop

Lap 21: Barrichello pits from the lead for 9 seconds. He comes out in second place behind Hamilton. Rosberg and Webber pit

Lap 20: Raikkonen pits from second and Button from sixth. The Ferrari driver comes out in eighth place

Lap 19: Hamilton is under huge pressure from Webber and Button on the track, however, he is one pit stop ahead of them

Lap 18: Barrichello, who is leading, does a new fastest lap time: 1:39.427

Lap 18: Vettel is all the way down in 16th place after his fuel rig problem. Not the sort of situation the Championship hopeful would've wanted

Lap 17: Kovalainen pits from the lead, Alonso also pits and Vettel is in again as well

Lap 17: Hamilton comes out in sixth place. Problems for Vettel as his fuel rig didn't work and he'll have to pit again almost immediately

Lap 16: Vettel and Kubica also come in

Lap 16: Hamilton pits from the lead. The Brit stops for 9.4s and puts on the super soft tyres

Lap 16: McLaren mechanics are out

Lap 16: Hamilton's lead is up to 7.5s

Lap 15: Barrichello's race engineer, Jock Clear, reckons the Brazilian should be able to start pushing harder once he's out of the dirty air from the McLarens

Lap 14: Hamilton does a new fastest lap, a 1:39.455

Lap 13: Buemi is lapped by Hamilton as the Toro Rosso driver struggles to come back from his lap 1 ding-dong

Lap 12: We have had ONE genuine pass so far this race which was Kubica on Heidfeld. ONE!!!

Lap 11: His new team-mate Badoer remains 17th, 10s behind Alguersuari and 9.8s ahead of Grosjean

Lap 10: Raikkonen is falling back off Barrichello, 2.8s now separate the duo

Lap 9: Grosjean slides wide, going off the track and momentarily brings out the yellow flags before resuming business as per usual. Nice slide!

Lap 8: Hamilton is leading by more than five seconds as the Brit aims for his second race win of the season

Lap 7: Solid start for Force India with Adrian Sutil 12th and Giancarlo Fisichella 13th. The team is hoping for their first points of the season here this afternoon but still have quite a few places to make up

Lap 6: Kubica has taken 10th place off team-mate Heidfeld while Webber has managed to get by Button. It appears as if Button let Webber through in order to avoid a stewards inquiry

Lap 5: Webber is complaining that Button is only ahead of him because he cut the chicane on the opening lap. Nothing from the stewards just yet

Lap 4: Badoer has already had one spin this afternoon, not a great start for the Italian

SKYBET: "Lewis Hamilton is into 1/6 favourite with Skybet now after reaching the first corner at the front, but he has to build his lead now, and his chances depend on getting away quickly. Kimi Raikkonen is into 11/1 after an equally quick start"

Lap 3: Badoer is up to 17th place after the first lap ongoings between the three who pitted. Alguersuari is just ahead of him on the track

Lap 3: Hamilton already has a 1.8s lead over Kovalainen while Raikkonen is harassing Barrichello for third place. But remember, it's not easy passing on this track

Lap 2: Grosjean and Timo Glock are both in the pits for repairs as is Sebastien Buemi. It's a new nose for Grosjean and Buemi

Lap 1: Button tries to take Alonso but runs wide onto the run off and Alonso stays P7. Button is now coming under attack from Webber

Lap 1: Great start from the two McLarens and Barrichello while Raikkonen is up to fourth place with Vettel and Rosberg behind him. Button has dropped down the order, losing three places while Alonso is also on a charge, moving up to seventh place

START: And it's go in Valencia!

13H03: And they're back on the grid, ready for the start of the race

13H00: The formation lap gets underway

SKYBET: "Lewis Hamilton has been all the rage after his scorching Pole Lap on Saturday - hes Skybet's 4/9 favourite to win today"
"Elsewhere, there is plenty of good e/w value - not least team-mate Kovalianen, who looks a terrific e/w shot at 7/1."

12H58: The grid is being cleared and we are almost ready for the start of the 2009 European GP

12H55: Five minutes from the start of the race

12H52: The drivers are out their cars, chatting to those on the grid

12H48: Blue skies are overhead with a track temperature of 46'C and ambient of 31

12H45: Pit lane is closed

12H37: Badoer makes his way to the grid to start his first race as a Ferrari driver

12H32: Nico Rosberg leads the way out of the pits and onto the grid. The Williams man is starting P7 today in what could be the countdown to his Williams career. Rosberg is eager to move to a team that can win races with McLaren being touted as a possibility

12H30: The pit lane is open

12H26: F1's other new boy, Jaime Alguersuari, is 19th on the grid

12H23: Another new face on the grid is Romain Grosjean, who has called up to replace the sacked Nelson Piquet Jr. Grosjean is starting 14th on the grid after an impressive showing in qualifying

12H17: That car is being driven by regular test driver, Luca Badoer, who has stepped in to replace the injured Felipe Massa. Badoer, though, is not having a great weekend, slowest in two of the three practice sessions and also in qualifying

12H14: Kimi Raikkonen is sixth on the grid after what he termed to be his best qualifying performance of the season. However, the other Ferrari is right at the very back.

12H11: His team-mate Heikki Kovalainen is alongside him followed by atrio of Championship hopefuls in Rubens Barrichello, Sebastian Vettel and Jenson Button. The other driver in the Championship hunt, Mark Webber, is starting P9 after a disappointing qualifying session for the Red Bull racer

12H08: Lewis Hamilton won't be fazed by any lack of overtaking as the McLaren driver, the lightest of the top ten, is starting from pole position. It was the reigning World Champ's first pole of the season

12H03: Last year's European GP wasn't the most exciting on the calendar as while this is a street circuit, the barriers are far removed from the racing line, meaning drivers can make mistakes and drive off. The design of the track also hampers overtaking so, well, one can only hope for a better race this weekend

12H00: Welcome to coverage of the 2009 European Grand Prix, which takes place over 57 laps around the port city of Valencia, Spain

sky star 2

Super VIP
REACTION: RED BULL, FI, TOYOTA, T ROSSO

Red Bull, Force India, Toyota and Toro Rosso all failed to score a single point in Sunday's European GP.

Red Bull
Mark Webber: "No gains for us today, which is the first time in a long time. The long and short of it was that I wasn't quick enough today - it was a tough race. I've been struggling all weekend and I think I got the result I deserved, which was no points, unfortunately. We were a little bit unlucky around the pit stops with Lewis (Hamilton) coming back out in front, but that's the way it goes. The pit stops weren't great, as I might have been a bit long on positioning - so not the best day for us. But, we will dust ourselves down and move on to Spa."

Sebastian Vettel: "The biggest problem today was the first stop - we weren't able to get fuel in the car, so we had to come in again. We were lucky to make it back for a second stop. The race was lost already at that point but then, a couple of laps on, I had a problem with the engine and I had to retire. It's not good. In terms of the Championship, I will fight until the last breath, but it's not good to have retired when you're hunting and want to get more points than your opponent. You're in a position to do it, but then you don't finish the race."

Force India:
Adrian Sutil: "Today was a good performance with no mistakes, good lap times and we showed a clear step forward. I think tenth was the maximum we could do from 12th position on the grid. It was a very tough race, very hot, but everything worked perfectly. I was behind the two BMWs for my first stint and couldn't get past on the track but the team did a really good stop and I could pass Heidfeld in the pitlane. I'm really looking forward to Spa now - I love the track and with the pace we've shown this weekend it's looking promising for a good result there."

Giancarlo Fisichella: "It was a difficult race as the grid position was not as good as we had hoped so we used a one-stop strategy, which gave us an opportunity to gain some positions. I made a very good start, keeping clear of the collision and was running in 13th at the end of the first lap, right behind Adrian. The first stint on the hard tyres was very consistent with a good pace. Then we changed to the soft tyres and it was a bit tricky as there was some graining. I could keep a good pace though I had to watch the tyres to keep them until the end. Twelfth is a good result for us. We made a few positions and now seem to be ahead of Toyota and some other cars. We need another step like we made this weekend and we can easily score points."

Toyota:
Jarno Trulli: "The start wasn't great and the car didn't improve from qualifying, when I was struggling a lot with a lack of grip. So I had the same problems again today and the grip was nowhere close to where it had been earlier in the weekend during practice. I did my best but there was nothing I could do to improve my position. I hope for a better weekend in Belgium."

Timo Glock: "It was a pity the race started like that because over a race distance we were pretty quick, just like we were in Budapest. At the first corner I had to dive down the inside because the cars in front were braking heavily so I had to avoid them. Then I was hit from behind and basically any hope I had of getting a decent position was finished there and then. But I pushed as hard as possible for the rest of the race to at least get some more data and we showed what might have been by setting the fastest lap right at the end."

Toro Rosso:
Jaime Alguersuari: "This was much tougher for me than Hungary, because of the heat and humidity. With ten laps remaining, I had a problem with my drinks system which meant I couldn't get anything to drink. It was really tough and I just did my best to finish and bring home the car. On the plus side I have now done a lot more kilometres and I therefore hope this will help me do better in Spa, where at least it won't be as hot."

Sebastien Buemi: "My race was more or less over immediately after the start. I will have to watch the race to see exactly what happened. I moved to the inside to try and avoid the bottleneck and as Glock accelerated, he drove over my wing which obviously broke and the time I lost coming back to the pits to replace it meant my race was done. I carried on pushing to see what lap times I could do and what the car was capable of, but I soon had braking problems and eventually the disc broke and I had to park the car. The last few race weekends have not gone well, but you have to stay positive. The car seems to have improved, so we have the potential to do better. Let's see at Spa."

sky star 2

Super VIP
REACTION: BRAWN, McLAREN, FERRARI

Rubens Barrichello claimed the victory in the European Grand Prix, beating Lewis Hamilton and Kimi Raikkonen.

Brawn GP:
Rubens Barrichello: "What a fantastic day. I am so delighted with the win after what was a really tough race out there. It's just amazing and a weekend that I will never forget. Even after five years, you don't forget how to win and the feeling is so good! Although we were fuelled heavier than the McLarens, I knew that I would have to push really hard throughout the race. My engineer Jock was great today, he really encouraged me and helped me to maintain the pace, and the team did a fantastic job with two excellent pit stops. I want to thank everyone who has supported me and this victory is dedicated to the whole of Brazil but particularly to my great friend Felipe Massa. I hope he is back racing against me soon."

Jenson Button: "Rubens did a great job this weekend and he deserves the victory. It's been a long time so I'm happy for him although of course I would rather be on top of the podium. The small mistake in qualifying and a difficult start caught behind Vettel really cost me today as I got caught in traffic and it's really tough to overtake around this circuit. Still we did what we came for this weekend and beat the Red Bulls, our main title rivals, so I'm not too disappointed with seventh position. We'll go to the next race in Spa positive and ready to have a good race."

McLaren
Lewis Hamilton: "This is my second podium in a row, and I'm very happy to be here. We did the best job we could today. Am I disappointed? Yes, I think we all are - but that's simply an indication of just how hard everyone in this team is pushing to win. We're never satisfied unless we're winning, in fact. But, ultimately, we didn't really lose anything today - it was always going to be tough to beat Rubens and what we tried wasn't quite enough. Before my second pitstop, I'd been saving fuel and was a bit unsure if I had enough for that extra lap or not. The pitwall had initially asked me to pit - but, just when I was coming in, they told me to stay out and do an extra lap - however, I was already inside the white line [entry to the pits] and committed, so it was too late.

"In those circumstances, it's always better to be safe and to pit, because the last thing you want to do is run dry out on the circuit. But the call was a marginal one - the team was pushing the envelope, as I say - and it came just a little too late for me and the mechanics, who weren't perfectly prepared. Make no mistake, I think those guys are the best in the business; what happened was simply a result of the team trying everything in their power to turn a safe second place into a possible win. In any case, our overall performance this weekend confirmed the huge improvement we've made recently, but we still lack a bit of race pace compared with the very fastest cars. You can be well sure we're working on fixing that, though. Congratulations to Rubens - he drove a fantastic race today and really deserved this victory."

Heikki Kovalainen: "To start second and finish fourth isn't ideal. But I'm more pleased with my overall performance in this race than in Hungary. We showed good performance throughout the whole weekend, and I really want to thank the whole team for helping us to achieve that - it's good to see things improving like this. We don't yet have the pace of the frontrunners, but everyone has done an incredible job to get us to where we are. We've scored more points in the last three races than any other team - but I still want to score more. I'm already focusing on Spa; it's a circuit I love and I really want to be on the podium there."

sky star 2

Super VIP
REACTION: WILLIAMS RENAULT, BMW

There were points in the European Grand Prix for Nico Rosberg, Fernando Alonso and Robert Kubica.

Williams:
Nico Rosberg: "I did enjoy the race, but the heat really took most of the fun out of it. It wasn't nice, but it was still a good result for the team. Fifth again, after starting seventh, is not bad, and gives us more points. I was hoping to beat Raikkonen today but he was too fast. Our car seems to suit every track we go to, and the team is doing well to keep development going from race to race. It's nice that we are always up there and I hope we continue like this, and possibly make a step forward onto the podium soon."

Kazuki Nakajima: "It was another disappointing afternoon for me. It was all over in qualifying really. I was in 13th when I had the puncture and that really finished my race. Just a few laps before the end, I then had some kind of problem so I had to stop early."

Renault
Fernando Alonso: "Sixth place is the best I could do today for my home Grand Prix and the three points are a good result considering that we started eighth. It was a very tough race: first of all because of the heat but also because it was a very competitive race and I had to push all the way, constantly fighting to keep my position. But we have been quick all weekend and therefore I'm quite confident we can keep this pace and deliver an even better result in Spa."

Romain Grosjean: "Unfortunately the first lap didn't go well for me, but during the race there were a lot of positives and I gained some valuable experience. At the start of the race I had to really concentrate and pay attention to everything that was happening around me and after that I just tried to be consistent and set some good lap times. It's clear that I must do better next weekend in Spa and I will aim to put the experience I have gained in Valencia to good use."

BMW
Robert Kubica: "I had to start the race from a very bad position as I was in the middle of the pack and we were all very close together in the first corners. Unfortunately I was not able to make up positions at the start, and I even lost a place to Nick. But then during the race my pace was good. Although my stints were shorter, I was even able to overtake Mark Webber during his final pit stop, which was very good."

Nick Heidfeld: "For me the result is rather disappointing because it doesn't reflect what I was able to achieve today. After a good start I was able to match the pace of the guys in front of me, but I let Robert by because he was on a lower fuel load. Then I had to defend my position against Adrian Sutil and lost contact with the front group. This turned out to be crucial, because after his pit stop Heikki Kovalainen came out in front of me and I could not take any advantage from my car being lighter at this stage."

sky star 2

Super VIP
HAPLESS BADOER IN DEFIANT MOOD

Under-fire Ferrari driver Luca Badoer has promised to emerge stronger from his European Grand Prix tribulations.

The Italian, promoted from his role as the Scuderia's test driver to replace the injured Felipe Massa, struggled throughout what has been a character-building weekend on the hot streets of Valencia.

Friday's practice days saw Badoer hit with fines totalling 5,400 euros and a reprimand for breaking the pit lane speed limit four times, while in qualifying on Saturday the 38-year-old finished dead last, 1.5 seconds off the pace of the next slowest car.

Race day did not get much better. Despite vaulting past six cars off the start thanks to Ferrari's KERS powerboost system, Badoer slipped back into the clutches of his rivals, and finished 17th and last of the drivers on track at the chequered flag.

A drive-through penalty for crossing the pit exit line after one of his stops added further insult to injury, as did the fact that his team-mate Kimi Raikkonen finished third.

"They have been very hard days, but this was the expectation for me," said Badoer, who has not driven an F1 car in anger for over half a year due to the in-season testing ban, and was contesting his first grand prix weekend since 1999.

"It was a tough race. Formula One is very different from 10 years ago. It's tougher in terms of the pressure to not make any mistakes.

"The priority was to finish the race so that we can have more luck and confidence with the car."

While Badoer is in no danger of winning a race any time soon, he has at least won over a few members of the F1 paddock with the good grace and charm he has shown in the face of a trying weekend.

Ferrari's bosses also appear supportive of their long-term test driver, and Badoer is determined to repay that faith with an improved showing at the Belgian Grand Prix next weekend.

"This weekend I improved a lot, and in Spa I think I will be much better," he said. "I don't know how much better - we will see. But for sure I will have a better feeling with the car, with the team, with the track, with everything.

"It will be much better, I promise you."

Raikkonen, meanwhile, declared himself delighted after singled-handedly doing his bit to defend Ferrari's third place in the constructors' championship with his second successive podium.

"I am happy about this result," he said. "On Friday we saw that the car was pretty competitive over a distance and we therefore thought we could fight for a podium finish.

"Now we go to Spa, a track that I like a lot. At this point in the season, if we manage to get everything right, then we can aim for a podium and if anything was to happen to those ahead of us, we can try and do even better."

sky star 2

Super VIP
WHITMARSH PLAYS DOWN PIT-LANE PROBLEMS

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh believes his team's pit-lane mix-up during Sunday's European Grand Prix in Valencia did not affect Lewis Hamilton's chances of winning the race.

Pole-sitter Hamilton led from start through to his second pit stop on lap 37, when a misunderstanding in the McLaren camp saw Brawn GP's Rubens Barrichello move into the lead.

Hamilton entered the pit for his stop just at the moment the team sent him a message informing him to continue, but with the driver committed, he arrived at his garage with the team not ready with a new set of tyres.

At first it appeared the wasted seconds had been crucial in handing the victory to Barrichello, but Whitmarsh was adamant the Brazilian would have won his first grand prix in five years regardless of the error, which left Hamilton second at the chequered flag.

"We were racing Rubens, who was frankly in a quicker car," Whitmarsh told reporters.

"We had told Lewis to come in on lap 37 [but] our fuel monitoring told us very late that we could potentially do a further lap, which would have at least enhanced his opportunity of being able to race Rubens, so we made a very late call.

"That meant we told Lewis to stay out when he was committed to coming in, and we were unable to reverse getting the tyres ready, so during that stop Lewis lost two, maybe a maximum three seconds.

"It didn't affect the outcome of the race, but it was disappointing, but overall the thing that came out of this weekend is that we've made good progress, but in the race we weren't quite quick enough to win.

"We lost the race because we weren't quick enough.

"Rubens' race pace was very good, he applied pressure with a car which was generally slightly heavier than us, and we weren't able to open a big enough gap to make sure we could beat him."

sky star 2

Super VIP
BUTTON TAKES POSITIVES FROM VALENCIA

Jenson Button was a relieved man after a disappointing drive to seventh place in Sunday's European Grand Prix in Valencia was punished by just a half-point reduction in his championship lead.

The Brawn GP driver had a gearshift problem on his best lap in qualifying yesterday which left him fifth on the grid, two places behind team-mate Rubens Barrichello, who produced a sterling drive this afternoon to win a race for the first time in five years.

The Brazilian is now Button's nearest challenger in the drivers' standings, overhauling Red Bull Racing's Mark Webber to sit 18 points behind the Englishman with six races remaining.

Button's race was compromised from the first lap when he got bottled up behind Webber's team-mate Sebastian Vettel off the start and ended the opening lap in eighth place.

That became ninth when Webber got past, but Button got the jump on the Australian during the second round of pits stops and benefited from the retirement of Vettel with a blown engine to take two precious points in his stuttering championship bid.

"Rubens did a great job this weekend and he deserves the victory," said Button. "It's been a long time so I'm happy for him although of course I would rather be on top of the podium."

After three below-par races, Button's practice form over the past couple of days indicated he was starting to get on top of the tyre-heating issues that have plagued the Brawns in recent times.

Certainly, the scorching heat in Valencia helped his cause, but Button just did not have the measure of Barrichello this weekend, and ultimately his lower grid position proved costly.

"The small mistake in qualifying and a difficult start caught behind Vettel really cost me today as I got caught in traffic and it's really tough to overtake around this circuit," he added.

"Still we did what we came for this weekend and beat the Red Bulls, our main title rivals, so I'm not too disappointed with seventh position.

"We'll go to the next race in Spa positive and ready to have a good race."

sky star 2

Super VIP
I CAN WIN TITLE - BARRICHELLO

Rubens Barrichello breathed new life into his Formula One title bid with a gritty and deserved victory on the baking streets of Valencia in Sunday's European Grand Prix.

The Brawn GP driver produced a superb drive from third on the grid to patiently overhaul the front-row starting McLarens of Lewis Hamilton and Heikki Kovalainen to claim his 10th career win - and first for five years.

After passing Kovalainen at the first pit stops, Barrichello dogged Hamilton until the Englishman's second stop on lap 37, when a miscommunication in the McLaren camp saw the Brazilian move into the lead.

Hamilton entered the pit for his stop just at the moment the team sent him a radio message informing him to continue, but with the driver committed, he arrived at his garage with the team not ready with a new set of tyres.

The wasted seconds were crucial in handing Barrichello a comfortable lead at the front after the second round of pit stops, and the 37-year-old looked untroubled as he ticked off the laps to the flag to claim his first win since the 2004 Chinese Grand Prix.

The Brazilian is now second in the title race, 18 points down on team-mate Jenson Button, and insists he can pip the Briton to the drivers' crown come the end of the season.

"It's a great win, and of course it puts us into a better situation in the championship and we just have to keep on working," he said.

"I think it's very, very much possible.

"It's been a weekend that I will never forget, especially because after five years [without winning a race], it's tough.

"Although you are pushing, there are some things that go through your mind - you want to do it for yourself, for your family and for your country."

Barrichello's victory will go some way to justifying his claim to one of the most competitive seats in grand prix racing, despite the fact many believed his career was over with the withdrawal of Honda over the winter.

With the formation of Brawn from the ashes of the Japanese operation, Barrichello was granted an unexpected extension to his long career, and the man who has started more grands prix than any other driver insists he is only just coming into his best form.

"I'm here because I love racing," he continued. "It was a really tough winter, but somehow I knew I was going to race.

"I work very hard, and I believe that is the only way to get into a better situation.

"I wished that I could carry on last year. People seemed to think that was it for me, but I have shown now that it wasn't.

"I always thought I had more in me. I think I have reached my peak."

A great day for Brawn was made better by Button's damage-limiting drive to seventh, ahead of his nearest rival in the drivers' standings heading into this race, Red Bull's Mark Webber, who finished outside the points in ninth.

Webber's team-mate Sebastian Vettel retired with a blown engine.

Hamilton, who came home just over two second behind Barrichello at the finish, explained the reasons for the pit-lane confusion that seemingly cost him a second win in succession.

He said: "I'd been saving as much fuel as I could to go a little bit longer, and I think I was probably a little unsure as to whether I had enough or I didn't have enough - the worst thing to do is to risk it.

"[The team] called me and I was just on my way in, I'd just gone inside the white line and was committed, and they then told me to do an extra lap.

"I would probably have lost too much time if I tried to continue."

Hamilton added: "We win and lose together. We had a great team effort to get here, so we cannot take second place for granted, or be disappointed that we did not get a win.

"I still believe it was a tremendous effort, and these things happen."

Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen produced a solid drive to third place from sixth on the grid while Kovalainen failed to deliver on his front-row start as he came home fourth.

Williams' Nico Rosberg produced a typically consistent drive to fifth ahead of Renault's Fernando Alonso, while BMW Sauber's Robert Kubica took eighth and the final point.

Stand-in Ferrari driver Luca Badoer suffered a spin and a drive-through penalty on his way to a disappointing 17th, two places behind Renault new boy Romain Grosjean.

sky star 2

Super VIP
LENGTHY PIT STOP COSTS HAMILTON DEAR

An extraordinary pit-lane blunder by McLaren cost Lewis Hamilton a second successive victory as Brawn GP's Rubens Barrichello took the chequered flag at today's European Grand Prix in Valencia.

Pole-sitter Hamilton was leading the Brazilian veteran by around four seconds prior to his second stop on lap 37 but his afternoon came unstuck when McLaren's mechanics failed to have a new set of tyres ready.

The incident cost Hamilton around six seconds and allowed the hard-charging Barrichello through for his first victory since the 2004 Chinese Grand Prix.

A great day for Brawn was made better by Jenson Button's damage-limiting drive to seventh, ahead of his nearest rival in the drivers' standings heading into this weekend, Red Bull's Mark Webber, who finished outside the points in ninth.

Webber's team-mate Sebastian Vettel suffered an engine failure for the second day in succession to bring a premature end to his afternoon, and Brawn come away from Spain looking stronger than ever to claim both world titles.

Button's lead in the drivers' championship is now 18 points over Barrichello, while Webber is now 20.5 points back and Vettel 25. Brawn are 27.5 points clear of Red Bull in the constructors' championship.

Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen produced a solid drive to third place from sixth on the grid while McLaren's Heikki Kovalainen failed to deliver on his front-row start as he came home fourth.

Williams' Nico Rosberg produced a typically consistent drive to fifth ahead of Renault's Fernando Alonso, while BMW Sauber's Robert Kubica took eighth and the final point.

But the day belonged to Barrichello, who celebrated his 10th career win with characteristic emotion on the podium.

"It's been fantastic," said the veteran of 281 grands prix.

"It's been a weekend that I will never forget, especially because after five years, it's tough.

"Although you are pushing, there are some things that go through your mind - you want to do it for yourself, for your family and for your country."

Hamilton, meanwhile, refused to point the finger of blame at his team for the pit-lane error which cost him a shot at victory.

"We win and lose together," he said.

"We had a great team effort to get here, so we cannot at all take second place for grated, or be disappointed that we did not get a win.

"I still believe it was a tremendous effort, and these things happen."

At the start, Hamilton made a clean getaway from pole but further back Button suffered a miserable start.

Starting fifth on the grid, the world championship leader dropped to eighth after struggling through the first couple of corners, while a lunge on Alonso failed to come off further round the lap.

Button's tribulations in the pack prompted Webber to come on the team radio claiming the Briton had cut a chicane, and on lap five Webber swept past him for eighth after Button's team told him to give up the place to avoid a penalty.

Vettel's doomed afternoon suffered its first setback on lap 15 when a problem the Red Bull fuel rig at his first stop meant no fuel went into his car and he had to complete another lap at a slow pace before finally refuelling and emerging down in 15th place.

The German's race lasted just another eight laps, however, his Renault engine letting go once again following its failure in practice yesterday.

After running third early on, Barrichello was on the move on lap 20, the Brazilian stopping four laps later than Kovalainen and getting ahead of the Finn.

And second became first on lap 37 when Hamilton suffered his setback in the pit lane.

All appeared calm when the 24-year-old pulled into his pit box as fuel went in and his used tyres came off, but it quickly became clear there were no fresh tyres to go on and the Briton lost crucial seconds while a set was brought out and the warmers removed.

Barrichello, who had been on the pace all weekend as his Brawn thrived in the sweltering Spanish heat, duly swept through to take a comfortable lead, which he held after his second pit stop and all the way to the flag, his margin of victory over Hamilton just under four seconds.

Elsewhere, It was another bad day for stand-in Ferrari driver Luca Badoer, who suffered a spin and a drive-through penalty for crossing the pit-lane exit line on his way to 17th and last of the finishers on the track.

French debutant Romain Grosjean also suffered a spin in the Renault but was rather more impressive than Badoer on his way to 15th place at the flag.

sky star 2

Super VIP
FRY BELIEVES IN HIS BOYS

Brawn GP chief executive Nick Fry believes both of his drivers are capable of winning this season's F1 crown after Rubens Barrichello posted a superb victory in the European Grand Prix.

Barrichello's Valencia triumph was not only his first win of the season, it was also his first since the 2004 Chinese Grand Prix, when driving for Ferrari.

The Brazilian was outclassed by team-mate Jenson Button at the start of the season, picking up a raft of minor podium placings while the Briton won six of the first seven races.

The 37-year-old's upturn in form has coincided with a slump for Button, who has finished off the podium at the last four races, picking up just 11 points in that period.

His lead over Barrichello in the title race is now 18 points with six races remaining, and Fry is backing both of his drivers to land the biggest prize come the end of the season.

"We're in a position now where both drivers have proven they can win," Fry told reporters in Valencia.

"Rubens has shown what he can do and Jenson's won six, so I wouldn't bet against either of them."

The Brawn cars have struggled for grip at circuits with a low track temperature this season, but intense heat in eastern Spain these past few days played into the team's hands around the marina-based street circuit.

Barrichello, however, was the only driver to capitalise on that, with a mistake in qualifying leaving Button fifth on the grid.

A poor start compounded the 29-year-old's woes, and it was all he could do to salvage seventh place at a circuit where overtaking opportunities are thin on the ground.

"The main problem was [Button's] grid position," Fry continued. "I don't think there was anything wrong with the speed of Jenson or the car, apart from people in front of him in the way, it's as simple as that."

He added: "The temperature here was clearly hot. We have to see if the changes we made here work at Spa [next weekend], which is a very different track.

"We've got some aerodynamic improvements coming along for next weekend, so I'd bet on both our drivers."

Barrichello, meanwhile, dedicated his victory to compatriot Felipe Massa, who is recovering at home in Brazil after suffering a life-threatening accident in qualifying for the Hungarian Grand Prix last month.

Barrichello played an unwitting role in the accident which befell the unfortunate Massa, a spring falling off his Brawn and bouncing up into Massa's helmet, leaving the Ferrari driver with a double skull fracture, from which he is expected to make a full recovery.

"This race was, for me, a little bit more emotional than normal," explained Barrichello.

"I never felt that it was my fault with the spring coming out of my car, and I never ever wished that that would happen to him.

"He's such a good friend and I wish him all the very best.

"I had two wishes, first of all was to wish that he is the same guy, which he is, and second, I wish he's the same driver, and I think he's going to be even tougher."

sky star 2

Super VIP
ROSBERG CONFIDENT OF PODIUM SPOT

Nico Rosberg says it's only a matter of time before he claims Williams' first podium finish of the year.

The German finished Sunday's European Grand Prix in fifth place, extending his run of seven successive points-scoring results.

As yet, though, none have been in a top three despite him flirting with the podium in last five races.

"It was a good weekend for us. Again, the car performed really well which is good to see," said Rosberg.

"It's been consistent on every single track so far so I'm pleased with the way the team is working. In relation to other teams, we've done well on the development front as well.

"We should have been on the podium this race, but McLaren have made an even bigger jump than us which is frustrating, but we are always there and a podium should come soon."

Looking ahead to this weekend's Belgian GP, the Williams driver is confident of a good result believing the Spa-Francorchamps circuit will suit the characteristics of his FW31.

"Spa should be good for the team. It's a very high speed track, very different to Valencia, but our car goes really well everywhere," he said.

"This track, in particular, will suit our car because we have a strong aero package for the quick corners so I'm looking forward to it."

sky star 2

Super VIP
NO KERS FOR RED BULL

Red Bull have ruled out introducing their Kinetic Energy Recovery System during this weekend's Belgian GP, although they could use it later in the season.

Red Bull are one of a few teams who have KERS at their disposal but they are yet to actually us it during the course of this year's Championship.

However, with the next race being held at the Spa-Francorchamps, a perfect venue for KERS, there have been some questions about whether the team will finally make use of the device.

Team boss Christian Horner, though, feels its complications could outweigh its benefits and as therefore ruled it out.

"Spa is not so different to Silverstone and we had a strong car there, so to introduce KERS at this stage could only be disruptive," Horner said.

"We will make a decision for Monza after Spa. It would be the Renault/Red Bull KERS one that was developed at the beginning of the season. We will continue to look at it."

sky star 2

Super VIP
SILVERSTONE CHIEFS GET BOOST

Silverstone chiefs have been granted the power to seek outside investment, potentially in an effort to hopefully regain the British Grand Prix.

The Northamptonshire circuit has been in the hands of the British Racing Drivers' Club since 1971.

But following an EGM on Tuesday, the Club's members overwhelmingly voted to grant powers to their board, authorising them to entertain offers of investment in Silverstone and its core land.

The only stipulation to any future deal is that the terms are favourable to the long-term future of British motor sport and to the Club.

The BRDC's long-term objective is to further develop Silverstone's motor-sport infrastructure, related technologies, education and training, and to ensure the UK continues to be a global leader in such specialist areas.

BRDC president and former Formula One world champion Damon Hill said: "This vote is a significant result for the future of Silverstone.

"The EGM was not about selling Silverstone. The members were voting on whether or not the board should be authorised to approach and negotiate deals with potential investors on behalf of the Club.

"It is purely commercial. Silverstone is an international sports arena, and we are continuing with plans to develop it in keeping with the very highest standards.

"The primary function of Silverstone will always be racing, hopefully with a Formula 1 British Grand Prix."

sky star 2

Super VIP
BACK TO DAY JOB FOR GROSJEAN

Romain Grosjean swapped his race overalls for a pin-stripe suit this week in a bid to keep his feet on the ground.

Grosjean made his Formula One debut with Renault in Sunday's European Grand Prix in Valencia, finishing 15th after being handed the drive following Nelson Piquet's axe.

Yet despite the F1 circus will swiftly pitch up in Spa this weekend for the race in Belgium, Grosjean opted to continue his part-time role in a Geneva bank on Monday.

"I went back to work at the bank to keep in touch with reality," insisted the Frenchman.

"I think it's important to continue like that as I enjoy working there and this routine has always worked well for me in the past."

Grosjean did not disgrace himself around the tight waterfront track in Valencia, a tough baptism for any driver in an F1 car.

Now, though, he is expecting more of himself in Spa, a circuit on which he has already tasted success after winning last year's feature race in GP2.

"It's one of my favourites, a classic circuit of the world and I can't wait to experience corners like Eau Rouge in my F1 car," enthused Grosjean.

"After a street circuit it will be nice to go to a more traditional track with fast, flowing corners as I continue to learn about the car.

"So far the team has been very helpful and not put any pressure on me, but I would like to be more competitive in Spa and closer to (team-mate) Fernando (Alonso).

"I know I still have a lot to learn and so I will take things one day at a time and see how I feel after free practice before I start setting myself objectives.

"You also have to remember in Spa the weather can be unpredictable and there's usually a chance of rain, so we need to be ready to react quickly to any opportunities in the race."

sky star 2

Super VIP
BACK TO DAY JOB FOR GROSJEAN

Romain Grosjean swapped his race overalls for a pin-stripe suit this week in a bid to keep his feet on the ground.

Grosjean made his Formula One debut with Renault in Sunday's European Grand Prix in Valencia, finishing 15th after being handed the drive following Nelson Piquet's axe.

Yet despite the F1 circus will swiftly pitch up in Spa this weekend for the race in Belgium, Grosjean opted to continue his part-time role in a Geneva bank on Monday.

"I went back to work at the bank to keep in touch with reality," insisted the Frenchman.

"I think it's important to continue like that as I enjoy working there and this routine has always worked well for me in the past."

Grosjean did not disgrace himself around the tight waterfront track in Valencia, a tough baptism for any driver in an F1 car.

Now, though, he is expecting more of himself in Spa, a circuit on which he has already tasted success after winning last year's feature race in GP2.

"It's one of my favourites, a classic circuit of the world and I can't wait to experience corners like Eau Rouge in my F1 car," enthused Grosjean.

"After a street circuit it will be nice to go to a more traditional track with fast, flowing corners as I continue to learn about the car.

"So far the team has been very helpful and not put any pressure on me, but I would like to be more competitive in Spa and closer to (team-mate) Fernando (Alonso).

"I know I still have a lot to learn and so I will take things one day at a time and see how I feel after free practice before I start setting myself objectives.

"You also have to remember in Spa the weather can be unpredictable and there's usually a chance of rain, so we need to be ready to react quickly to any opportunities in the race."

sky star 2

Super VIP
SILVERSTONE CHIEFS GET BOOST

Silverstone chiefs have been granted the power to seek outside investment, potentially in an effort to hopefully regain the British Grand Prix.

The Northamptonshire circuit has been in the hands of the British Racing Drivers' Club since 1971.

But following an EGM on Tuesday, the Club's members overwhelmingly voted to grant powers to their board, authorising them to entertain offers of investment in Silverstone and its core land.

The only stipulation to any future deal is that the terms are favourable to the long-term future of British motor sport and to the Club.

The BRDC's long-term objective is to further develop Silverstone's motor-sport infrastructure, related technologies, education and training, and to ensure the UK continues to be a global leader in such specialist areas.

BRDC president and former Formula One world champion Damon Hill said: "This vote is a significant result for the future of Silverstone.

"The EGM was not about selling Silverstone. The members were voting on whether or not the board should be authorised to approach and negotiate deals with potential investors on behalf of the Club.

"It is purely commercial. Silverstone is an international sports arena, and we are continuing with plans to develop it in keeping with the very highest standards.

"The primary function of Silverstone will always be racing, hopefully with a Formula 1 British Grand Prix."

sky star 2

Super VIP
PRESSURE NOT GETTING TO BUTTON

Jenson Button is adamant he is not cracking under the pressure of being the hunted in the fight for this season's Formula One world title.

The critics are starting to sharpen their pencils after witnessing the derailing of Button's championship charge during the last four grands prix which have yielded a meagre 11 points.

Brawn GP team principal Ross Brawn and Button initially bemoaned the cool conditions at Silverstone and the Nurburgring for their lack of performance in the British and German Grands Prix.

In Hungary, it was the slow-speed nature of the Hungaroring that proved their downfall as they again failed to get sufficient heat into the car's Bridgestone tyres.

In Valencia for the European Grand Prix four days ago, there were no excuses as temperatures soared into the mid-30s centigrade.

Instead it was a rare mistake in qualifying from 29-year-old Button that compromised his race, one in which he was forced to yield at the first corner to one of his title rivals in Sebastian Vettel.

These are the signs, so the critics are saying, Button is beginning to wilt under the strain of leading the championship as it draws to its denouement.

Not so, insists Button, who still commands an 18-point cushion over team-mate Rubens Barrichello, with Red Bull Racing duo Mark Webber and Vettel a further 2.5 and seven points adrift respectively.

"I read lots of things during the weekend that said I was happy and positive," countered Button. "It's people's opinions. I know how I feel.

"It was a frustrating weekend in a way because if certain things had gone slightly differently we would have had a great weekend.

"I would say it's the first bad weekend I've had this season.

"But I am in the best position of the four frontrunners, so I am not feeling any pressure."

As a further riposte, Button can point to the fact he is the only driver to have not only finished all 11 races this season, but to have also scored points.

Anyone suggesting he is cautious is mistaken as far as the Briton is concerned.

"That's the thing, I don't have a conservative approach," insisted Button.

"If you look at the last four races, in the first three of those our car was not as competitive as we would have hoped and when I was winning races.

"So if you get rid of those and you look at the last, it wasn't a good race weekend for me, initially because I didn't qualify well.

"At the start of the race if I'd stayed on the inside of Vettel and on the throttle I would have broken my front wing and wiped him out as well, and there would have been an almighty accident behind.

"It's just that I was in a difficult position, so I backed out and I lost three places because of it.

"So it's not a conservative approach, it's about not being stupid. There was no other way.

"Maybe we need to do something with the strategy that does not put me in a position around cars that think I'm being conservative."

After the race Button suggested Vettel was over-aggressive in his approach to the first corner, a remark that today caught the German by surprise.

"I hadn't heard that," remarked Vettel, who then defended himself against Button's claims and suggested he might discuss the matter with him.

"We are here to race and we try to defend our position. You don't sit in the car and voluntarily give up a place to the guy starting behind you.

"I don't think there was a problem. Maybe I'll have to talk to him if it was."

Button maintains no such conversation will be necessary, stating: "If there's no problem with it, there's no problem.

"The officials didn't say anything, so it was obviously okay, and there's nothing else you can do about it.

"It's part of racing. I just have to try not to be in that position again."

sky star 2

Super VIP
LUCA PUTS THE 'BAD' INTO BADOER

There must have been occasions during the course of the European Grand Prix weekend when Luca Badoer wished the tarmac of Valencia's waterfront circuit would open up and swallow him.

To describe his three days behind the wheel of one of the fastest cars on the planet as an embarrassment would be an injustice as the 38-year-old's performance epitomised the first three letters of his surname.

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo, a man who put a foot through his television when Felipe Massa missed out on the world title last season, is likely to have wanted to throw his latest set out of the window at the sight of Badoer making his Prancing Horse appear more akin to a new-born foal on ice.

How di Montezemolo and team principal Stefano Domenicali must have cursed Michael Schumacher and his futile attempts in swapping four wheels for two.

It was one such outing in February which resulted in the seven-times Formula One world champion sustaining a neck injury that ruled him out of a hotly-anticipated return last weekend, forcing Ferrari to call on Badoer.

Although the Italian has spent the last 12 years as a tester with the team, he had not turned a wheel in anger for a decade, and it showed as he ended up a laughing stock.

Admittedly, Valencia's tight, twisty, wall-lined track is hardly one to cut your teeth on after so long in the wilderness.

But di Montezemolo and Domenicali must have known they had made the wrong decision when Badoer was caught speeding in the pit-lane four times during Friday practice, earning him fines totalling £5,000 and a reprimand.

At least he was fast on one part of the circuit was the joke doing the rounds over the weekend.

Unsurprisingly, Badoer was a long way off the pace in practice and was ultimately slowest in qualifying, an astonishing 1.5 seconds adrift of Toro Rosso's Jaime Alguersuari in 19th.

That in itself tells its own story as the 19-year-old Spaniard only made his debut in the previous race in Hungary.

This is the same Alguersuari who, prior to that outing in Budapest, had only driven an F1 car at speed in a straight line.

On the Friday ahead of first practice at the Hungaroring, there was genuine concern amongst the other drivers for Alguersuari's safety, as well as their own.

It prompted a now infamous backpage headline in one of the national tabloids that read: 'Is this the most dangerous man in F1?', with a picture of Alguersuari beneath.

Perhaps such a question should have been posed of Badoer after his antics in Valencia, where he comically allowed another debutant in Renault's Romain Grosjean to pass him down the pit lane exit during the race.

In doing so he put a wheel over the white line, incurring a drive- through penalty - a schoolboy error from a man who should have known better despite his 10-year absence from the track.

In trundling home last of the 17 finishers, Badoer stretched his ignominious F1 record to 49 grand starts without a point.

In fairness, his previous 48 races were with back-of-the-grid teams Scuderia Italia, Minardi and Forti Corse between 1993 and 1999, but even so, it is a record no-one would want against their name.

Badoer at least found allies amongst his fellow drivers, including reigning world champion Lewis Hamilton who felt the veteran tester had at least done a good job in not putting the car in the wall.

Says it all really.

At the end of the day Badoer was driving a Ferrari, not one of the team's best by any means given their rich history over the years, but still a front-runner, and not a Toro Rosso like Alguersuari.

Badoer should not have finished 1.5 seconds behind the rookie in qualifying, and he should not have been last in the race.

Despite the red faces, Badoer will be given one more opportunity in this weekend's Belgian Grand Prix to prove himself worthy of being behind the wheel of the scarlet machine.

He can count himself fortunate the race follows a week after the one in Valencia, otherwise it is almost certain if there had been the usual fortnightly gap he would have been asked to step aside.

It is hard to imagine Badoer will suddenly pull up trees in Spa, so expect Ferrari to excite the tifosi - their ardent fans - in Monza for the Italian Grand Prix next month by unveiling a home-grown product.

Mirko Bortolotti, a race winner in F2 this season, impressed in a test at the end of last year, setting an unofficial lap record of 59.111 seconds around Ferrari's Fiorano test track.

The time from the 19-year-old apparently bettered previous efforts during the season by, of all people, Kimi Raikkonen, as well as Badoer and Ferrari's second tester in Marc Gene.

If they do call on Bortolotti, a star may about to be born.

sky star 2

Super VIP
ALONSO SURPRISED BY BUTTON'S CAUTION

Fernando Alonso is surprised Jenson Button has already adopted a tentative approach to his world title tilt.

After finishing seventh in the European Grand Prix in Valencia on Sunday, Button claimed he needs to be more aggressive if he is to be crowned champion.

After claiming just 11 points from the last four races, Button has seen his lead whittled down, although the gap to Brawn GP team-mate Rubens Barrichello is still a healthy 18 points.

Alonso can at least appreciate Button's sentiments after being in the 29-year-old's position en route to winning his titles in 2005 and 2006.

However, the Spaniard admits his more prudent approach did not start to kick in until he was on the cusp of claiming motor sport's biggest prize.

"I did become more cautious, but not until further ahead," stated Alonso. "Now there is still a lot of the championship to run.

"I'm sure with two or three races to go and if he (Button) keeps this advantage and he can mathematically be champion in Singapore or Japan, then he will be very cautious.

"In those races you can feel it, knowing you only need a couple of points, so you start to become more stressed about the situation, but normally everything is fine."

Alonso feels Sunday's Belgian Grand Prix could prove a pivotal one if Brawn are able to keep Red Bull at bay at a Spa track that is expected to be more to the liking of the latter team's cars.

With Mark Webber 20.5 points adrift and Sebastian Vettel 25 down, Alonso added: "Red Bull are still in the fight, but this weekend will offer a clearer picture of the championship.

"If they are quick here and can be first and second on Sunday, it will re-open the championship a little, especially if Button is not third.

"But if the Brawns are quicker here than Red Bull, then maybe the championship will be more clear for Jenson."

The 28-year-old, meanwhile, has dropped another clear hint this is his last season at Renault, confirming he is "very active" in his approach to signing for another team.

It is expected Ferrari will announce Alonso's appointment from 2010 onwards at their home grand prix in Italy in a fortnight's time.

Alonso concedes he is determined to become champion again, but with another team, just as he had hoped when he initially left Renault for McLaren after the 2006 season.

"It was to find a different challenge, to win a world championship with a different team," confirmed Alonso.

"It's part of my motivation, one of my targets, which would raise my self-confidence even higher.

"It would be great for me as a driver, but as for the future, who knows.

"In this Formula One at the moment it is difficult to know which team has the better future because every week there are rumours about teams coming in or going out.

"Sometimes there are surprises, like BMW this year, so you never know what the future holds."

Asked whether there would be an announcement soon, Alonso said: "We're still thinking and evaluating some possibilities, so we will see. Maybe next week is too early."