ipbox 9000 and hard drive

muspell

Registered
Western Digital now have a line of "GreenPower" SATA drives. The media density is higher than previous drives, so there are fewer platters, and a lower spindle speed (~5400 RPM).

The data transfer rate is still faster than the previous generation of drives despite the lower spindle speed, due to the higher density. You're unlikely to need 40-80MB/s transfer rate on a dual-tuner PVR anyway! (rough figures for inner-outer diameter).

The main advantages of the lower spindle speed are that the overall power consumption is lower, leading to lower thermal output and better acoustic performance.

If you need even lower power consumption or a quieter drive, you can always fit a 2.5" HDD. These have the advantage of faster spin-up times compared to 3.5" discs, and it may be possible to run with the fan disabled (although the IPBox 9000 still gets very hot if you have 2 DVB-S2 demods).

An external HDD may be a better solution if you don't mind the extra clutter, and will have the advantage of keeping the HDD at a sensible operating temperature without having to turn on the 9000's incredibly noisy fan.

HTH!

TerD

Registered
External HDD

Hi Muspell

If I just plug a formatted HDD in will it be recognise by the
9000HD. Do I have to install a driver?

Many thanks

TerD

mirg

Registered
Should recognies the HDD automaticaly, and the box is also doing the formatation!
Regards

TerD

Registered
External Hard Drive

I tried this with sifteam latest image.
Switch external HDD on, boot up Box, external HD
flickers and buzzes a bit, then channel kind of hangs.
Eg locked onto one channel ( not the case if I switch off Ext HD).
Could it be that the IP box is formatting and I
need to leave the time for this to be complete?

Thanks

TerD

Replay

Registered
I have a Seagate Barracuda 500G can’t hear mine!:)

I have installed exactly the same HDD but it is not working with my setup!it is greyed out in Adv settings. tried another one ( same Barracuda) still no go.
What is your setup?

mine is
Cuberevo
Sif Image R8340
DB R8118

TerD

Registered
Sifteam r8340
Lacie 500 GB through ext USB port
Formatted FAT32

I installed USB plug in, and I noticed that it wanted to format (but of course didn't have ext HDD connected when I installed plug ins).

Back to the test bed ( again).

Would appreciate of any other users have advice

Thanks

TerD

TerD

Registered
Hi Mirg,

How long does this formatting process take say on a 500 G disk.

I formatted in FAT 32 on a MAC

Thanks

TerD

alalifa

Registered
I have read the manual, and it says that it only supports SATA 1, not SATA II!!. As SATA 1 is hard to find now because it is replaced by SATA II (a faster one), could anyone inform if he managed to install a SATA II HDD successfully?.

Replay

Registered
I have read the manual, and it says that it only supports SATA 1, not SATA II!!. As SATA 1 is hard to find now because it is replaced by SATA II (a faster one), could anyone inform if he managed to install a SATA II HDD successfully?.

The seagate Baracuda is a SATA 2 drive with a jumper to set it to SATA 1. I assume other drives have the same.

mirg

Registered
You have to use a e-SAT II, conect it, power and smal e-sata conections, than the box will finf it. Go to advanced services, find the HDD, press formating and set the other parameters s yoy like (time shift etc.)
Skål

Replay

Registered
You have to use a e-SAT II, conect it, power and smal e-sata conections, than the box will finf it. Go to advanced services, find the HDD, press formating and set the other parameters s yoy like (time shift etc.)
Skål

isnt e-sata2 for external storage?

mu HDD is internal and I assume you have the same HDD as you mentioned in your post above.

TerD

Registered
Thanks, I'll try this.
The box is definitely finding my external eSata Lacie (doesn't even say which kind of eSata)so instead of booting up on a channel I'll try booting up on the advanced menu with the HDD config panel to see if this works.

Last Sifteam has a USB plug in which I thought would automate this.

I'll give this a try.

TerD

k2k2000

Registered
terd
sata interface 6 time faster than usb,
better use esata connection when you have it.especially when you want to record HD channel.
box need to format your hd to linux format ext2 for dgs
or ext3 for sifteam,
fat32 not work.

TerD

Registered
Thanks k2k200

Indeed, I just checked the interface transfer rates
SATA 300 MB/s
USB 2.0 60 MB/s

Looks like the USB is not the best solution.
So either I buy an internal HDD (fan is not so noisy as I thought it would be) or I run a SATA cable through the back of the box.
Strange there's no SATA output on the back of the box - perhaps for next time!

Perhaps there's a standard SATA interface I can put in the hole in the back of the IP 9000 box.

Thanks

TerD

k2k2000

Registered
ipbox900hd -support usb + external eSATA .hole in the back.
ipbox9000hd -support usb + internal SATA

for your Lacie you can test sata to esata bracket or adapter.
or just buy new hd; 2.5 or 3.5
maybe samsung is the the best for ipbox.

TerD

Registered
Thanks krK2000,

This is a lengthy thread but when I arrive at a solution I hope it helps others, who I can see have the same problem.

Summarising:
I've been trying to format an external Lacie D2 quadra through the 9OOOHD USB port.No success so far. Here's the status
- No recognition of external HDD in menu
- Loaded Sifteam plug-in format external HDD, applied, Box asks for reboot, reboot ( external HDD handshakes with Box)but Box locks on one channel, RCU controls don't work. Or, Box reboots several times by itself but then no change. In fact I left the ext HDD and IP BOX handshaking overnight but no change.
- Switch off ext HDD and Box works fine with both Sat and Cable channels. But no recording facility

The Lacie is one of these HDDs with built in functionality which may be blocking the formatting process. So I'll get into the manual and see if there's anything I can change.

Agreed with previous posts that obviously ABCOM thinks that internal HDD solution is best (only Vantage has an eSata output). Transfer rate between USB 2.0 and eSata is a no brainer.But I am looking at the external solution because of previous fan noise and heating posts (in fact the external HDD triggers the internal IP Box fan which is quite discreet).

Has anyone ever formated an external HDD using a SifTeam image? I'll give this one more try before capitulating and rushing out to buy a Samsung.
(But OK, I desperately want to record the Neil Young progam on BBC4 tonight!)

Regards all,

TerD

k2k2000

Registered
Lacie D2 quadra, eSATA2 3Gbits very good e-hd for mac and pc.
not for ipbox "need eSATA1 1,5Gbits";
try formating usb using nlb image.
my.php
[/URL] [/IMG]

internal sata to esata adapter ,need some tweaking

TerD

Registered
Well, I finaly got an HDD working.Got the internal Samsung 5OO G recommend by a forum member, only paid € 57 . But I gave up on the external LaCie which is now relegated to my photo backup.

Careful with the Samsung on opening the shrink wrap - I threw away the 4 mounting screws and probably the jumper for the Sata 2 to Sata 1 reset. In fact on Samsung box it doesn't say which version but warns you about protocol handshaking.
I stuck a piece of copper wire between pins 5 and 6 to short them, reflashed Sifteam 8234 and rebooted - HDD came out of the grey zone and I was in business.

Contrary to reports on another forum the Samsung and the cooling fan are remarkably silent.

Moral: external HDD is not smart with the 6 times faster trasfer rates with SATA.But I'm surprised that Sata 1/2 is an issue at all.Samsung offer a quick patch fix ( but not for Linux).Make sure there's a jumper in the HDD box!

Thanks for the good advice

TerD