Formula 1 News

sky star 2

Super VIP
Hamilton feeling positive
British ace praises consistency of team

Lewis Hamilton believes McLaren are getting "stronger and stronger" as he races towards his first-ever Formula One world title.

The British ace came third at Singapore on Sunday to extend his lead in the World Championship going into the final three GPs in Japan, China and Brazil.

He took full advantage of nearest rival Felipe Massa finishing only 13th on Sunday to now sit seven points clear at the top.

While knowing nothing is certain after narrowly missing out on the title last year, Hamilton - who is now 2/7 on with Sky Bet to win the championship - is full of confidence as the season reaches its climax.

He said: "We started the year feeling really strong and we have just kept developing that. I'd say now the team is the most positive and together it's ever been.

"Since the middle of the season, we've got the car in such a sweet-spot that it's been competitive at every race. I think Singapore showed just what we could do. We didn't really put a foot wrong."
Credit

He added: "I've got to give credit to the engineers and strategists for helping me to save fuel during the first safety car period. The guys in the garage pulled off two perfect pitstops. What more can I ask for?

"We're just getting stronger and stronger. We all want this so much that every race just pulls us closer and closer together.

"I can't really describe that feeling of team-work, but it's incredibly strong. It's what keeps us all going."

As Massa could not score, Hamilton coasted to a comfortable third place instead of pushing Williams' Nico Rosberg for second and potentially crashing out.

He added: "The six points we got on Sunday were pretty important to our title chances.

"We're ahead now in both world championships and have to keep focused during these next three races.
Consistency

"I've said before that consistency is what will win this world championship, and I feel really pleased that we did that in Singapore.

"We only finished third, but we couldn't really have asked for more from that result, and I didn't want to risk throwing those points away with any kind of move as you never know what might happen.

"We also made all the right decisions at the right moments in the race, and the car still feels fantastic to drive.

"All I can do is take one race at a time while keeping one eye on the final result at the end of the year."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Senna in F1 talks
Toro Rosso linked with legend's nephew

Bruno Senna believes he stands a good chance of entering Formula One next season, although it may be in a test driver role.

Senna, the nephew of the late Ayrton Senna, has been hotly tipped to take a role with Toro Rosso next season, perhaps even as a race driver.

However, he says STR is not the only team he's been talking to.

"Obviously, I had a great season in GP2, it was a season with a few highs and few lows but good enough to finish second," Senna told Reuters.

"And I guess it gave me good possibilities to go to Formula One next year.

"We have been speaking with quite a few teams and there is great interest from a few of them.

"So there are a few opportunities as a race driver, a few as a test driver... but there is a lot of competition and I need to come ahead of the competition right now on the negotiations and see if I can get a race drive."

He added: "Toro Rosso is one of the possibilities in Formula One, not the only one, but it can make the whole difference and for sure he (Berger) still gives me great advice and helped all the way.".

sky star 2

Super VIP
Ferrari - Kimi must start scoring
No points from four races for mis-firing Finn

Luca di Montezemolo has urged Kimi Raikkonen to up his game in order to play a support role for Felipe Massa, as the Brazilian chases down this year's World title.

With three races remaining Ferrari are second in the Championships and in desperate need of Raikkonen to start scoring points if they are to retain the titles.

The Finn has not scored a single point in the last four races, a key reason why Ferrari now trail McLaren in the Constructors' Championship.

However, the Scuderia also need Raikkonen to start scoring in order to take points off McLaren's Lewis Hamilton and help his own team-mate Massa win this year's Drivers' title.
Extraordinary

"I'm sure Kimi has understood this moment," di Montezemolo told the Gazzetta dello Sport newspaper.

"Besides, he is not a rookie nor a former star: we are talking about the reigning World Champion, a driver who, despite a broken exhaust in Magny-Cours, did an extraordinary race. Massa told me that without that problem he would never have beaten him.

"He went quick at Spa too, but was unlucky when running off in a section where there was no run-off. By contrast Hamilton went off but was able to rejoin.

"On top of that Kimi is brave and always works for the team. In the last three races he'll have to demonstrate to everyone the effects of being a champion by helping the team and Massa. It's clear we need him at 100 per cent."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Kimi - definitely not my year

Champ without a point from last four races

After once again failing to score points on a Sunday, never mind claim the win, Kimi Raikkonen has conceded that his title is lost.
The reigning World Champion has failed to score a single point in the last four grands prix while his last race win was back in April in Spain.
His disappointing run of form has seen the Finn all but mathematically drop out of this year's Championship race, trailing Lewis Hamilton by 27 points with only 30 to play for.
"It's difficult to find the right words: racing at night or during the day, this is definitely not my year," he said just days after his latest retirement which came on Sunday in Singapore when he crashed out of the inaugural F1 night race.
"I hit the wall when there were just a couple of laps left. True, I wasn't racing for the win, but for some very important points for the team; and then it ended like at Spa, with another DNF.
"It seems as if the more we try to improve the situation the less we get in the end. At this point I can just hope for a weekend where everything goes in the right direction.
"Once again we had the right speed at Singapore, but not when it was really necessary. The fastest race laps aren't worth anything, if you don't combine them with the situation when they really count.
Dark period

"Obviously I'm really sad about this situation. I can't explain this dark period and there's nothing I can do to change what happened. We have to look ahead, to the last three races."
The Finn's lack of points has also been largely responsible for Ferrari losing the lead in the Constructors' Championship. The Scuderia trail McLaren by one point after both Raikkonen and Felipe Massa failed to bag points in Singapore.
Raikkonen, though, is determined to make it up to the team by ending the season on a high note - and nothing is higher than winning.
"We know that we've got what it takes to fight for victory in the last three GPs," he said.
"Let's hope that I'll finally have a smooth weekend, from Friday to Sunday evening."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Stewart's backing for Massa

Former champion tips Brazilian to lift the world title

Sir Jackie Stewart reckons Felipe Massa can come back from his Singapore disappointment to win this year's world title.
Massa dropped a further six points behind championship leader Lewis Hamilton on Sunday when a botched pit stop cost him the race win and any chance of scoring points.
However, former F1 champion Stewart has urged Massa, who is now seven points behind Hamilton, not to become despondent, as he believes the Ferrari driver can still claim the crown.
"Felipe is the most improved driver this year, he has had no peaks and valleys," said Stewart.
"Last year he was very fast one day and the next time not so fast, but this year he has been consistently good.
"I am a big admirer of Felipe's driving, and he can still win the Championship. Ferrari in the dry still have the edge of the McLaren, and in the wet McLaren have the edge on Ferrari.
"I think with three races to go, there are still 30 points to be won or lost, so it is open."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Williams stick with same team

Rosberg and Nakajima to stay on for 2009

Nico Rosberg and Kazuki Nakajima have been retained by Williams for next year's Formula One Championship.
Also staying with the team is German youngster Nico Hulkenberg - leader of the Formula 3 Euroseries - who will continue to act as test driver for a second straight year.
Team principal Frank Williams was delighted to maintain his current driving stable and believes all three men have bright futures in the sport.
"I am delighted we are able to maintain continuity with our drivers going into 2009," Williams stated.
"Nico Rosberg continues to be one of the most capable drivers in the sport. Kazuki is getting stronger all the time and has more to offer and Nico Hulkenberg is developing well."
Rosberg, who has been driving for Williams since 2006, celebrated a career-best second place last weekend at the Singapore Grand Prix. It was the German's second career podium after a third at the Australian GP at the beginning of the season.
He finished 17th overall in 2006, ninth last year and currently sits 12th in the championship this time around with a total of 17 points.
Nakajima made his F1 debut in the final race of 2007 and has taken points in four of the 15 races so far this year, leaving him 15th with nine points.

rachid2012

Banned
Le Grand Prix du Canada retiré du calendrier 2009

Le calendrier 2009

29 mars: Australie

5 avril: Malaisie

19 avril: Bahreïn

10 mai: Espagne

24 mai: Monaco

7 juin: Turquie

21 juin: Grande-Bretagne

28 juin: France

12 juillet: Allemagne

26 juillet: Hongrie

23 août: Europe (Valence/ESP)

30 août: Belgique

13 septembre: Italie

27 septembre: Singapour

11 octobre: Japon

18 octobre: Chine

1 novembre: Brésil

15 novembre: Abou Dhabi

maumixio

Staff member
FORZA FERRARI!

1088BBD81114451F873D90DFAF0E6.jpg

56D587B0EDFB99AE38DB32B79CCA9B.jpg

18CC76E3A99EA8636E14B1F6C25099.jpg

D661CFA2C335DB46ED1119C8407F.jpg

m7ckey

Registered
Ferrari addresses F60's glitches

Ferrari engineers are addressing a number of technical issues on its new F60 after the team admitted it had some “small problems” during the car’s initial shakedown.

Ferrari became the first team to launch a 2009-spec Formula 1 car on Monday, rolling out a KERS-equipped F60 at Mugello in Italy.

In a meeting on Tuesday, attended by Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo, the team’s engineers began solving the F60’s glitches as part of the first steps in the car’s development programme.

The F60’s next track appearance will be at the Portimao test circuit in Portugal where it will come face-to-face with the 2009 offerings from McLaren, Renault, Toyota and Williams.
The Scuderia is eager to make the most of its track time before the in-season testing ban restricts development of the new car.

Chief aerodynamicist Nikolas Tombazis believes success will rest on improving the car quickly before the start of the season.

“Many rules, as far as the aerodynamics are concerned, are completely new,” Tombazis said at the Ferrari launch.

“The speed of development will be the main issue.

“Whoever knows how to develop faster will be better than the others.

“We can work on the development in the Fridays at every GP.

“Before the season there's still some good margin and if we're ahead at the first race, it means that we can keep our cool."

Tombazis added that the F60 will not only be much improved by the first race but will also look very different compared to the car that debuted at Mugello.

"The F60 will be very much overhauled for the first GP,” he said.

“We want to resolve all the issues as far as the mechanics and the reliability are concerned.

“We also want to maximise the aerodynamic development.

“I can confirm that also visibly the car will be really different at the first race."

SANTO_DOMINGO

Registered
2009 FIA Formula One World Championship Race Calendar

01 2009 FORMULA 1 ING AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX (Melbourne) 27 - 29 Mar
02 2009 FORMULA 1 PETRONAS MALAYSIAN GRAND PRIX (Kuala Lumpur) 03 - 05 Apr
03 2009 FORMULA 1 CHINESE GRAND PRIX (Shanghai) 17 - 19 Apr
04 2009 FORMULA 1 GULF AIR BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX (Sakhir) 24 - 26 Apr
05 FORMULA 1 GRAN PREMIO DE ESPANA TELEFONICA 2009 (Catalunya) 08 - 10 May
06 FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX DE MONACO 2009 (Monte Carlo) 21 - 24 May
07 2009 FORMULA 1 TURKISH GRAND PRIX (Istanbul) 05 - 07 Jun
08 2009 FORMULA 1 SANTANDER BRITISH GRAND PRIX (Silverstone) 19 - 21 Jun
09 FORMULA 1 GROSSER PREIS SANTANDER VON DEUTSCHLAND 2009 (Nürburgring) 10 - 12 Jul
10 FORMULA 1 ING MAGYAR NAGYDIJ 2009 (Budapest) 24 - 26 Jul
11 2009 FORMULA 1 TELEFONICA GRAND PRIX OF EUROPE (Valencia) 21 - 23 Aug
12 2009 FORMULA 1 ING BELGIAN GRAND PRIX (Spa-Francorchamps) 28 - 30 Aug
13 FORMULA 1 GRAN PREMIO SANTANDER D'ITALIA 2009 (Monza) 11 - 13 Sep
14 2009 FORMULA 1 SINGAPORE GRAND PRIX (Singapore) 25 - 27 Sep
15 2009 FORMULA 1 FUJI TELEVISION JAPANESE GRAND PRIX (Suzuka) 02 - 04 Oct
16 FORMULA 1 GRANDE PREMIO DO BRASIL 2009 (Sao Paulo) 16 - 18 Oct
17 2009 FORMULA 1 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX (Yas Marina Circuit) 30 Oct - 01 Nov

m7ckey

Registered
Toyota unveiled the TF109 with an online launch

52004_2.jpg

52003_2.jpg

52002_2.jpg

Toyota has retuned its RXV-09 engine in accordance with the 18,000 rpm limit
52001_2.jpg

One of Toyota's main challenges for 2009 will be coupling a KERS unit to its 2.4 litre V8
52000_2.jpg

The car's design must adapt to the additional grip from the 2009-spec slick tyres
51999_2.jpg

Detail of Toyota's adjustable front wing
51998_2.jpg

Getting the most out of the narrower and taller rear wing will be crucial to success in 2009
51997_2.jpg

Toyota maintain its driver line-up from 2008 with Jarno Trulli and Timo Glock as race drivers and Kamui Kobayashi as the official test driver
51996_2.jpg

The TF109 has a wider front wing and a narrower rear wing to comply with the 2009 aero regulations
51995_2.jpg

The TF109 has smooth bodywork to comply with the 2009 regulations
51994_2.jpg

m7ckey

Registered
Nose cone changes to take longer in ‘09

Pedro de la Rosa has warned that the new-for-2009 adjustable front wings will mean that changing nose cones during pit stops will take much longer next season.

Adjustable flaps on the front wing have been made legal this year to allow drivers to compensate for the lack of downforce when following a rival's car and increase the chances of overtaking.

However, the flaps will require some kind of hydraulic or electronic connection between the cockpit and the front wing, which de la Rosa points out will complicate the business of replacing nose cones during the race following accident damage.

“Well the fact that you can change the front flap has its negatives and one of them is that quick nose cone changes in a pit stop will be delayed.”
“You can use a hydraulic system or you can use an electric motor, but whichever you use you still have to connect some type of cables because you’re operating it from the cockpit.

“So it’s going to add a big loss at the pit stops for everyone.”

After testing a BMW with 2009-spec aerodynamics at the end of last year, Nick Heidfeld expressed concerns that the increased width of the front wing may make it more susceptible to damage at the start of races.

However, de la Rosa does not subscribe to Heidfeld’s view and believes that after testing the new-shape cars drivers will get used to their different dimensions.

“I’m not concerned about that,” he said.

“It will take a little bit of getting used to for us in terms of how close can we get to the guy in front, or how much can we use some type of kerbs.

“But at the end of the day it only requires a bit of testing; after a few kilometres it shouldn’t become an issue.”

m7ckey

Registered
Safety car rules overhauled for 2009

The controversial safety car rules that have been in place for the past two seasons will be scrapped for 2009, with the pit lane to now remain open and drivers instead having to heed a minimum lap time on their return to the pits.

FIA race director Charlie Whiting confirmed the changes to the procedure on Tuesday, announcing that a change would be made in line with the simulations carried out by drivers at the end of several practice sessions last season.

Since being introduced at the start of the 2007 season, the hitherto safety car rules saw the pit lane closed at the start of a full caution period with any car refuelling during this time punished by a drive-through penalty.

The FIA implemented the change to stop drivers racing back to the pit lane, when there was a potential accident on track, in a bid to gain an advantage, but the rule proved increasingly unpopular as drivers were clobbered with a potentially race-wrecking penalty if the pit lane closure came during their refuelling window.

But now after admitting that rule change “was a bad one”, Whiting confirmed the pit lane will revert to being open and a reduced speed will instead be achieved by cars running at an ECU-controlled pace.

Asked if the safety car rules would be changed for 2009, Whiting replied: “Yes.

“The rule introduced in 2007 was a bad one, and we’ve gone back to the 2006 regulations.

“The only difference is we intend to implement a minimum time back to the pits.”

m7ckey

Registered
Honda Saved Three Weeks Before Season Starts

The future of Honda's Formula One team has been secured just three weeks before the start of the new season.
The Japanese manufacturer has sold the team to former team principal Ross Brawn.

It will compete in the upcoming world championship under the new name, Brawn GP.

The deal secures the future of British driver Jenson Button and veteran Brazilian Rubens Barrichello.

"The vast experience and knowledge that both drivers bring to our team will prove invaluable as we aim to get up to speed in the shortest possible time to be ready for the first race," Brawn said.

Brawn GP has agreed a deal with Mercedes for a supply of engines in the 2009 F1 season, which gets under way in Australia on March 29.

Hiroshi Oshima, the managing officer of Honda motor sports, said "We are very pleased that we could sell the team to Ross Brawn with whom we have been partaking in the challenges of F1 competition, and are grateful for his decision."

Honda had in December announced it was exiting Formula One in an effort to cut costs during the economic downturn

m7ckey

Registered
Protest row sours opening F1 race

MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — Three teams lodged an official protest against the bodywork on the cars of three rival teams ahead of this weekend's Formula One season-opening Australian Grand Prix.

Ferrari, BMW, Renault and Red Bull entered the formal complaints Thursday after race stewards approved the design of the rear diffuser and attached bodywork on the Williams, Toyota and Brawn cars. BMW team principal Mario Thiessen indicated an intention to protest, but the team did not make the deadline to do so.

The protest was to be heard by race stewards later in the day, leaving uncertainty over the legality of the three affected teams going into Sunday's race and the early rounds of the championship.

Whatever the immediate decision of the stewards, it was likely to be appealed. A hearing via the appeal mechanism of the FIA _the sport's world governing body — was unlikely to be scheduled until after the Malaysian Grand Prix, the second round of the championship.

If the bodywork was deemed illegal, and either of Williams, Toyota or new team Brawn appealed, they would likely race with their present design until the appeal was heard.

New F1 regulations limit the size of the diffuser, and the protesting teams say Williams, Toyota and Brawn have bent the rules by designing bodywork to effectively increase its size.

The diffuser is at the rear of the car's under tray and acts to increase down force, assisting speed, cornering and smooth performance.

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner rejected suggestions that this conflict, three days ahead of the season's first GP, had already fractured the much-trumpeted cohesion between teams since the creation of the Formula One Teams' Association.

"This is a sporting and competitive issue, it has nothing to do with the workings of FOTA. It's nothing personal against the teams, it's simply looking to clarify regulations and our interpretations and others has been different," Horner said. "Our purpose in all of this is to establish the clarity of the regulation, because it has significant impact on how we channel our development."

Toyota team principal John Howett said he had no ill will toward the protesting teams, and was confident the Toyota design would be approved.

"It's part of the sport we're in," Howett said. "We have studied the regulations in detail and are very confident we have interpreted them correctly.

"We now just wait for what the stewards or a subsequent court decides."

Should the ultimate decision go in favor of Williams, Toyota and Brawn, other teams would be forced to play catch-up to develop their own bodywork to match.

Horner said his team had done preliminary work to develop rear bodywork in similar fashion, but abandoned it to comply with new F1 rules.

"The cost implications are significant but it depends on how far you want to go with it," Horner said. "We looked at the concept, we looked at it some time ago. We understood it was certainly not within the spirit, or within the regulations. We haven't committed any significant resource to it."

The Red Bull boss said it would be possible for the rival teams to change their bodywork in time for Sunday's race, although the likelihood of appeals meant that was unlikely.

"I don't see any technical reason why it couldn't be done quickly, though the optimizing is something different," Horner said. "It would be possible."

m7ckey

Registered
Ferrari vow to quit if rules don't change

Ferrari has upped the stakes in the teams’ standoff with the FIA over budget capping by announcing it will quit Formula 1 in 2010 if the current regulations remain in place.

The sport’s most iconic team has been at loggerheads with the governing body since the optional £40 million budget was ratified earlier this month, with its president Luca di Montezemolo branding the rule, and the potential two-tier system it creates, both unfair and unworkable.

Now following a board meeting in which it revealed yesterday would involve discussions over its Formula 1 future, the team has confirmed that, as the rules currently stand, it won’t be on the grid next season.

"The Board considers that if this is the regulatory framework for Formula 1 in the future, then the reasons underlying Ferrari’s uninterrupted participation in the World Championship over the last 60 years – the only constructor to have taken part ever since its inception in 1950 – would come to a close," a statement read.

"The same rules for all teams, stability of regulations, the continuity of the FOTA’s endeavours to methodically and progressively reduce costs, and governance of Formula 1 are the priorities for the future.

"If these indispensable principles are not respected and if the regulations adopted for 2010 will not change, then Ferrari does not intend to enter its cars in the next Formula 1 World Championship."