Shoutbox disappeared?

barney115

Donating Member
Staff member
Administrator
Take your time forum online is the main objective
its going fine right now and doing just fine .
no need to rush anything you did a great job today putting forum running and fast above all else that is a very large success in my opinion .
cheers !

barney115

Donating Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum seems to be running very,very slow again now ..
hardly responding at all ..

ETERNAL

Registered
I don't think that is the reason at all. There are some forums with equivalent load but they're very fast.

barney115

Donating Member
Staff member
Administrator
Still running too slow ..it was running really fine yesterday
but today pretty much all day long is real slow and not responding many times .

barney115

Donating Member
Staff member
Administrator
Running much faster now : )
server was hanging very badly there when it did get overloaded once again i suppose .
cheers !

KWP

Registered
Hello, Rocknroll!

I don't know your skills on managing the server, so sorry if I'm writing things that are plain obvious to you :), I am a sysadmin too, so here are some basic tips for slowness, it's not a bad thing to double check them.

Is php caching installed and working well? (On the forum settings' side if it supports it, and also on the server by installing some php caching module, such as APC, or memcached.) Turning the cache on can make a HUGE difference in everything.

The site also has a huge database I guess. I worked with very large databases in the past, and my experience showed that after a reinstall/merge, sometimes the DB server software checks and verifies the whole database for errors, and on large DBs it can take a VERY long time, especially if the server's other resources are also exhausted.
Check if it isn't the database subsystem that takes heavy resources currently.

If you already past these things then consider this post meaningless and accept my apology... I had good intentions with the composition of it. :)

Rocknroll

Staff member
Administrator
Hello, Rocknroll!

I don't know your skills on managing the server, so sorry if I'm writing things that are plain obvious to you :), I am a sysadmin too, so here are some basic tips for slowness, it's not a bad thing to double check them.

Is php caching installed and working well? (On the forum settings' side if it supports it, and also on the server by installing some php caching module, such as APC, or memcached.) Turning the cache on can make a HUGE difference in everything.

The site also has a huge database I guess. I worked with very large databases in the past, and my experience showed that after a reinstall/merge, sometimes the DB server software checks and verifies the whole database for errors, and on large DBs it can take a VERY long time, especially if the server's other resources are also exhausted.
Check if it isn't the database subsystem that takes heavy resources currently.

If you already past these things then consider this post meaningless and accept my apology... I had good intentions with the composition of it. :)

Thanks. All of that is good suggestions and I do welcome them. I am not a big expert but I've learned a lot during the years this site has been up. And yes all those things are a check. It is simply ddos issue. Site is working smooth and fast when there is only valid visitors on our site. But that is rarely the case lately I am afraid.

barney115

Donating Member
Staff member
Administrator
Running fine now ..only 205 guests
but server does get overloaded quickly when non-registered users are accessing forum its maybbe a load balance issue ?
its a pity we cant have some kinda back up link to access when/if forum does go down ?

Rocknroll

Staff member
Administrator
Running fine now ..only 205 guests
but server does get overloaded quickly when non-registered users are accessing forum its maybbe a load balance issue ?
its a pity we cant have some kinda back up link to access when/if forum does go down ?

Well I've turned off forums for guests but it didn't actually make much difference. Those aren't real people opening the website via browser. It is just bots that hit the server with traffic and still get logged as guests with vbulletin. So I think I'll turn back guests viewing soon.

barney115

Donating Member
Staff member
Administrator
okay fair enuff but if its going to be an issue
and IF its easy enuff to do so then turn it off again
no point to allow somthing like this issue to keep the forum down and offline .

barney115

Donating Member
Staff member
Administrator
Shoutbox open please ;)
WE Shall see about a chatbox in due time if that can be possible ..meanwhile its more important to have forum open above all else forum running online is a far greater concern to every member:thum:

Like old saying goes ..all good things come to those that wait patiently :cool: :)

KWP

Registered
Well I've turned off forums for guests but it didn't actually make much difference. Those aren't real people opening the website via browser. It is just bots that hit the server with traffic and still get logged as guests with vbulletin. So I think I'll turn back guests viewing soon.

Hello!

Maybe it would be a good thing to check the serverlogs for patterns. If they are really bots, they may have a pattern in their queries. If you can find such a thing, you can block them on the server level: let's deny access to every visitor who uses that pattern... and do it in the webserver's config level, before they even reach the resource-hog PHP subsystem.

You can do the same with user clients. It's a long shot, but it's possible that the bots aren't identifying themselves as standard web browsers... in that way, they can be easily blocked by client.

This is interesting however, because AFAIK this is a neutral sat forum, with no intentions to harm anyone. Why would anyone attempt to DDOS it is beyond my knowledge :S