Eriksson's got nothing new

McFLY

Registered
June 28, 2007

DINO ZOFF last night warned Manchester City fans: If you didn’t like Sven Goran Eriksson as England manager you won’t like him at club level either.

The Italian legend shot down the theory that the English have not yet seen the best of Eriksson, who has agreed in principle to take over at Eastlands.

Some reckon Sven will shine once he gets the chance to work with a squad on a weekly basis.

But World Cup-winner Zoff — the Swede’s successor at Lazio — insists there are a number of reasons why Sven will flop in the Premier League.

Zoff managed Lazio before and after Eriksson. He also coached Italy to within seconds of winning Euro 2000.

Now 65, the man who captained Italy to 1982 World Cup glory at the age of 40, insisted: “When you manage a country for as long as Eriksson managed England, it becomes like a club.

“I know what I’m talking about because I coached Italy and then Lazio again after Eriksson.

“There isn’t much difference between managing at international level and club level after such a long time.

“So I don’t think English fans can expect to see anything new or different from Eriksson because he is at a club now. They’ve seen all there is to see.

“Success for Manchester City now won’t depend on Eriksson, anyway.

“It will depend on which players he has and that, of course, will depend on exactly how much money the new president wants to spend. What qualities does Eriksson bring to a club? Er, tranquillity.”

The legendary goalkeeper’s withering verdict seems harsh. After all, Eriksson won the Italian title for Lazio in 1999.

But judging by his analysis of City’s predicament, Zoff seems to think that Lazio’s president at the time, Sergio Cragnotti, effectively bought the championship by bringing in a team of world-beaters for Eriksson to coach.

And he remembers what a mess Lazio were in the following season when Eriksson left for England.

Zoff recalled: “When I took over from Eriksson again at Lazio in 2000, we were 13 points behind our big rivals Roma.

“But I got the team going in the right direction again and we really hit back in the title race. We managed to get within three points of Roma at one stage but it was too late and they won the title in the end.”

Zoff clearly is not Eriksson’s biggest fan but he did acknowledge: “Eriksson is experienced and if Manchester City can get good players, he can make a good contribution.”

While Zoff insists Eriksson will struggle at Eastlands, the Swede’s former chief at Lazio reckons he will be a huge success.

Massimo Cragnotti, who ran Lazio for his owner-father Sergio during Eriksson’s reign, claims Alex Ferguson should be a worried man.

Cragnotti said: “Eriksson has defeated Ferguson’s Manchester United before when he won us the European Super Cup in 1999.

"So there is no reason why he should not be able to do it again. That was just one of six trophies Sven won for us during his time at Lazio. He is a natural-born winner.”

Cragnotti was angry when Eriksson quit Lazio for England in 2000.

But last night he admitted: “Looking back we understand how he couldn’t refuse that offer from England. It was a really unique opportunity for him and we don’t blame him.

“The abiding memories are really good and Manchester City are lucky to be the first club to have his services since he was with us. “

Lazio general manager Maurizio Manzini loved working with Eriksson and believes he will set City alight.

Manzini said: “When you are a national manager you are more a selector than a coach. You don’t get much time to work with the players.

“At Lazio he was a great motivator and used all the best modern techniques in every aspect of management.

“But just imagine how great his desire must be now. He wants to work with players again and he has all that experience to go with the desire.”