EXCLUSIVE Football News

McFLY

Registered
Gerrard opens talks on new deal

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has revealed he is in talks over a new contract that could tie him to Anfield for the rest of his career.

Gerrard, 26, is expected to sign at least a four-year deal worth about £120,000 a week after leading Liverpool to the Champions League final.

He said: "I'm in talks to extend my contract at Liverpool and I've never been happier with my football.

"I'd love nothing better than to get this contract sorted and signed."

New Liverpool co-owner Tom Hicks has said he could not see Gerrard playing for any other club - and the Liverpool captain is equally keen to extend his Anfield career.

Gerrard said: "We need to keep all of our big players here so it's very important we get the contracts sorted out so they can be here for a long time."

And the Anfield captain admitted he was surprised that AC Milan will be Liverpool's final opponents in Greece.

He said: "I'm confident we can go to Athens and bring the cup back home.

"But Milan are a fantastic team and we know it's going to be really difficult, so we need to be right at the top of our game.

"I was really surprised actually that they won their semi-final because I had confidence that Manchester United would get the result they required.

"I thought it was going to be a Liverpool-Manchester United final, but credit to Milan because they were excellent on the night and deserved to win the game."

McFLY

Registered
Glenn Roeder gets the axe

4kkvj8w.jpg

McFLY

Registered
Jewell Steps Down At Wigan

Paul Jewell has stepped down as manager of Wigan Athletic.

Jewell guided The Latics to Premiership safety with a win at Sheffield United on the final day of the season.

However, he will not be in charge for a third season in the Premiership as he has decided to step down from the JJB Stadium helm.

More to follow

RIDER

"Vanity is definitely my favorite sin"
Super VIP
Eurosport
This section is being updated as you read this.
Please come back later.

BBC
Champions league final countdown (Wed, 23 May 2007 09:05:55 GMT)
All the build-up to the Champions League final in Athens between AC Milan and Liverpool.
Molby wants Crouch/Kuyt pairing (Wed, 23 May 2007 09:56:34 GMT)
Former Liverpool star Jan Molby is backing Peter Crouch to start with Dirk Kuyt in attack against AC Milan.
AC Milan v Liverpool team news (Wed, 23 May 2007 08:42:08 GMT)
Team news ahead of Wednesday's Champions League final between AC Milan and Liverpool in Athens.
Gerrard vows Reds will be heroes (Wed, 23 May 2007 07:02:44 GMT)
Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard says they are determined to return from the Champions League final as winners.
Liverpool fans in ticket scramble (Wed, 23 May 2007 12:00:07 GMT)
Liverpool fans in Athens for the Champions League final against AC Milan continue their desperate search for a ticket.
Benitez will not single out Kaka (Wed, 23 May 2007 05:56:29 GMT)
Liverpool will not man-mark AC Milan's Kaka in the Champions League final, says manager Rafael Benitez.
Ancelotti proud of Milan success (Wed, 23 May 2007 05:56:41 GMT)
AC Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti says a points deduction in Serie A has made them all the more determined to beat Liverpool.
Bale to have Spurs medical (Wed, 23 May 2007 11:41:45 GMT)
Southampton defender Gareth Bale will have a medical at Tottenham after a fee was agreed, reports BBC Radio Wales.
Distin signs Portsmouth contract (Wed, 23 May 2007 12:06:33 GMT)
Sylvain Distin joins Portsmouth after his contract at Manchester City expired.
AC Milan pen pics (Tue, 22 May 2007 12:17:17 GMT)
The AC Milan squad aiming to win the club's seventh European Cup
Liverpool pen pics (Tue, 22 May 2007 11:12:47 GMT)
The Liverpool squad bidding to seal the club's sixth triumph in the European Cup
Champions League photos (Wed, 23 May 2007 09:16:40 GMT)
Pictures ahead of the final between Liverpool and AC Milan
Marcel Desailly on Milan's challenge (Tue, 22 May 2007 14:36:42 GMT)
"Revenge will not be the main motivation for AC Milan"
UEFA
'An experience not to be missed' (Wed, 23 May 2007 18:48:00 GMT)
Final referee Herbert Fandel knows keeping emotions - his and the players - under control tonight will be key to making the most of a very special night in Athens.
Reds are real deal for Neal (Wed, 23 May 2007 18:14:00 GMT)
A star in 1977 and 1984, four-time winner Phil Neal told uefa.com that Liverpool FC will defeat AC Milan even though Kaká "is almost impossible to mark".
Memories give Massaro hope (Wed, 23 May 2007 18:09:00 GMT)
Daniele Massaro told uefa.com that AC Milan will beat Liverpool FC tonight after his "dreams came true" in helping the Rossoneri win the 1994 final in Athens.
Athens poised for epic rematch (Wed, 23 May 2007 17:21:00 GMT)
Neither coach believes the UEFA Champions League final between AC Milan and Liverpool FC will produce a feast of goals - although they said the same in 2005.
Athens Blog: Fan fever (Wed, 23 May 2007 13:42:00 GMT)
A torrential downpour has failed to dampen rising levels of excitement in Athens as players, fans and celebrities prepare for tonight's much-anticipated final.
Greece is the word (Wed, 23 May 2007 16:49:00 GMT)
The weather may have been indifferent at times but, as Vassiliki Papantonopoulou reports, it has not dampened Greece's excitement over tonight's final.
Maldini feeling final excitement (Wed, 23 May 2007 16:21:00 GMT)
"I cannot wait to feel the shiver down my spine that only a final like this can bring," said Paolo Maldini as he looked ahead to leading AC Milan against Liverpool FC.
Riise belief in new improved Reds (Wed, 23 May 2007 16:16:00 GMT)
Liverpool FC defender John Arne Riise is confident that the 2007 side are better than the vintage that triumphed against AC Milan in Istanbul two years ago.
Liverpool's biggest headache (Wed, 23 May 2007 16:06:00 GMT)
Up against Kaká you always have the same dilemma. Man-mark him or treat him like any other player and not change your tactics? Over to you, Rafael BenÃ*tez.
Pennant prepared for dream final (Wed, 23 May 2007 15:48:00 GMT)
Liverpool FC right-winger Jermaine Pennant is looking forward to fulfilling a childhood dream by playing in the UEFA Champions League final in Athens.
Klimowicz destined for Dortmund (Wed, 23 May 2007 13:00:28 GMT)
BV Borussia Dortmund have signed forward Diego Klimowicz from Bundesliga rivals VfL Wolfsburg with the 32-year-old Argentinian signing a two-year contract.
Frustrated fan GarcÃ*a still smiling (Wed, 23 May 2007 11:43:00 GMT)
Injury has long ruled Luis GarcÃ*a out of this season's showpiece but the Spain midfielder is in Athens and told uefa.com he firmly expects a Liverpool FC win.
Fanzone vote for top player (Wed, 23 May 2007 11:18:00 GMT)
uefa.com is looking for the Fans' Player of the Season in the UEFA Champions League after another thrilling year of action in Europe's premier club competition.
U19 final eight await draw fate (Wed, 23 May 2007 10:41:00 GMT)
The eight competitors for the UEFA European Women's Under-19 Championship in Iceland are focusing on the draw for the finals at 18.00CET today.
Dinamo Zagreb snap up Guela (Wed, 23 May 2007 10:21:01 GMT)
Croatian champions NK Dinamo Zagreb have signed 20-year-old midfielder Frank-Manga Guela on a four-year contract from Greek Super League club Kerkira FC.
Márquez to miss Barça run-in (Wed, 23 May 2007 10:02:17 GMT)
FC Barcelona defender Rafael Márquez will miss the remaining three games of the Spanish season after receiving bad news about an injury to his right thigh.
Koper retain Slovenian Cup (Wed, 23 May 2007 09:30:50 GMT)
FC Koper captured their second straight Slovenian Cup with a 1-0 win against NK Maribor in Celje thanks to Aleksandar RajÄ?eviÄ?'s 80th-minute goal.
'Only A Game?' opens (Wed, 23 May 2007 01:30:00 GMT)
An exhibition focusing on the theme of Europe and football has opened in Brussels.
Talented Turkey face hard task (Wed, 23 May 2007 01:09:00 GMT)
UEFA European Under-17 Championship winners in 2005, Turkey's bid for U19 success two years on brings them up against Scotland, Portugal and Georgia.
Athens revels in festival atmosphere (Tue, 22 May 2007 22:59:00 GMT)
The Kallimarmaro Stadium was built for the 1896 Olympic Games and it provided a superb setting as fans of AC Milan and Liverpool FC arrived in Greece.