Thierry: Why I'm going

McFLY

Registered
THIERRY HENRY last night opened his heart on why he is quitting Arsenal for Barcelona.

In an exclusive letter to SunSport readers, he said: “It’s now or never for me — sadly it has to be ‘Now’.”

Henry, 29, will have a medical at the Nou Camp on Monday.

Barca claim he will sign for £16million in a four-year deal worth £128,000 a week.

In his letter, Henry added: “Arsene Wenger has said that at this moment he will not commit to the club past the expiration of his current deal, which finishes at the end of this coming season.

“I respect his decision and honesty but I will be 31 at the end of next season and I cannot take the chance to be there without Arsene Wenger and David Dein.”

Henry also cites Dein’s departure as vice-chairman as a key reason for his move.

He added: “David Dein is no longer there and there is no denying the fact this has de-stabilised the team and the manager.”

Henry held talks with Wenger on Wednesday.

They came after Wenger made it clear he was not ready to extend his deal as manager.

It meant the time had come for skipper Henry to end his eight-year love affair with the Gunners.

Wenger met with Barca’s financial director Ferran Soriano in France last week.

Henry has parted company with agent Jerome Anderson and will arrange personal terms himself.

Barca were last night celebrating victory after a two-year chase for Henry, who will form a devastating strike force with Ronaldinho, Lionel Messi and Samuel Eto’o.

The news comes as a devastating blow to Arsenal fans and places a huge question mark over Wenger’s future.

The Catalan giants will now make Wenger their No 1 target to replace boss Frank Rijkaard.

Barca supremo Joan Laporta said: “Henry is one of the greatest players in the world and a player who could improve our side. He has interested us for a long time.”

Henry hit 226 goals in 364 games at Arsenal, winning two titles and four FA Cups.

The striker, who arrived from Juventus for £10.5m in 1999, has flirted with Barcelona since they first targeted him in 2005.