Wanting to get back into the fta scene, is Azbox Elite worth the trouble?

lonewolf454

Registered
Hey guys, I previously did fta testing with an Azbox Elite HD box and would love to pick back up on my old hobby after a 5 year hiatus.

My STB was always buggy, reboots, locks up etc,,, between that and my coax feed went bad due to corrosion, I gave up the hobby for a bit. I did set up custom bouquet etc via the dreambox software, but it's been awhile.

Is there a better box now that will run fast enough to keep up with pv HD feeds?
I'm in north america and I see gofast has Octagon boxes for reasonable prices, but I'm not sure how reliable they are or if something is better for us here in same price range?

Thank you for any suggestions. You may pm if you'd rather.

voomvoom

Registered
At gofast or Rick's he has the sf8008 & sx88-SE
He did have the sf4008, I think they sold out and Octagon no longer supports them. It would handle a usb ATSC tuner. I never could get the sf4008 to do any cam work?
The sf8008 will not handle an ATSC tuner, but does work with cams. It is a very solid receiver and I highly recommend it.
The sx88-SE, I have one but haven't really given it a chance YET. When I hooked it up I spent some time trying to load a cam into it, could not figure it out? Didn't get around to trying an ATSC tuner? Had a problem with the remote conflicting with the sf8008 receiver, found that quite annoying. So, I stopped testing it.
Anyway, I would recommend the sf8008.
If you do want ATSC ota, then over at satguys, titanium satellite sells the OSMIO 4K and the OSMIO 4K+. Either will handle cam work and also can use an ATSC tuner with it.
The OSMIO 4k+ that I have, runs HOT! I got a device cooler to keep it from continuos rebooting. The cooler is basically an usb powered fan, and it works great.
I would still recommend it, it's a nice unit. I like the sf8008 better though.

If you go either way, or another way. GOOD LUCK..!!!

lonewolf454

Registered
I was actually looking at the sx-88 and the sf8008 at Rick's yesterday. I believe one is an enigma2 box, the other is not. I really appreciate the recommendation, exactly what I was looking for. I was pretty sure my Azbox Elite wasn't up to the task as it coughed on HD feeds using stream relay. Thanks again!