Formula 1 News

sky star 2

Super VIP
Rosberg is quickest again
German puts in fastest lap in free practice

Nico Rosberg produced a typically fast lap late in the session to top the charts after Friday's opening free practice for the Turkish Grand Prix.

The German conjured a late blast from the low-fueled Williams to usurp McLaren's Lewis Hamilton with a lap time of one minute 28.952 seconds at Istanbul's Otodrom circuit.

Rosberg has now finished top in 10 of 19 practice sessions so far this season but has yet to achieve a podium finish, with a best of sixth coming two weeks ago in Monaco.

"We just run less fuel than everybody else," he said on Thursday. "We look quicker than we are, so it's not important at all."

Toyota's Jarno Trulli, who along with team-mate Timo Glock suffered a disaster around the streets of Monte Carlo, finished third quickest, just eight thousandths of a second behind Hamilton.

Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel and Felipe Massa, winner of this race for the last three years in his Ferrari, were fourth and fifth, just under 0.4secs behind Rosberg.

Kimi Raikkonen was seventh, with Fernando Alonso eighth and Rubens Barrichello ninth in his Brawn GP, followed by Heikki Kovalainen for McLaren.

Current championship leader Jenson Button, 16 points clear of team-mate Barrichello and 28 ahead of Vettel, had to settle for 11th as he finished 0.795secs off Rosberg.

The BMW Sauber duo of Robert Kubica and Nick Heidfeld, with the team running a new multiple diffuser in a bid to claw back lost ground on their rivals, showed few signs of improvement as they were 16th and 17th.

Times
01 N. Rosberg Williams 1:28.952 24 laps
02 L. Hamilton McLaren 1:29.263 23 laps
03 J. Trulli Toyota 1:29.271 26 laps
04 S. Vettel Red Bull 1:29.33718 laps
05 F. Massa Ferrari 1:29.342 22 laps
06 K. Nakajima Williams 1:29.371 21 laps
07 K. Räikkönen Ferrari 1:29.398 25 laps
08 F. Alonso Renault 1:29.422 24 laps
09 R. Barrichello Brawn GP 1:29.525 25 laps
10 H. Kovalainen McLaren 1:29.590 20 laps
11 J. Button Brawn GP 1:29.747 20 laps
12 A. Sutil Force India F1 1:29.864 22 laps
13 T. Glock Toyota 1:29.934 26 laps
14 N. Piquet jr. Renault 1:30.132 18 laps
15 M. Webber Red Bull 1:30.176 22 laps
16 R. Kubica BMW 1:30.645 22 laps
17 N. Heidfeld BMW 1:30.689 20 laps
18 G. Fisichella Force India F1 1:30.729 22 laps
19 S. Bourdais Scuderia Toro Rosso 1:30.838 24 laps
20 S. Buemi Scuderia Toro Rosso 1:30.944 26 laps

sky star 2

Super VIP
Force India face FOTA ban
Mallya's team lodge own entry for next year

Force India are facing a suspension from the Formula One Teams' Association after they submitted a separate entry for the 2010 world championship.

Williams have already been suspended by FOTA after they lodged an unconditional entry to the FIA due to contractual reasons.

All nine remaining teams subsequently entered their cars for next season on the condition that certain new regulations, such as the budget cap, will not be introduced.

However, it is understood that Vijay Mallya's team broke ranks and lodged their own official entry.

FOTA vice chairman and Toyota Motorsports president John Howett revealed that they are likely to join Williams in being suspended from the association.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Hamilton 'surprised' by pace
World champion says car is becoming more competitive

Lewis Hamilton believes that McLaren have taken a step closer to the top teams after an encouraging Friday at Istanbul Park.

The reigning world champion finished second behind Williams driver Nico Rosberg in the day's first practice session before team-mate Heikki Kovalainen topped the timesheets in the second session.

Despite spinning twice and only finishing 13th in the second session, Hamilton was very pleased with the day's running.

The McLaren driver admits that he did not enter the weekend expecting such a positive result.

"I was quite surprised by the pace of the car," he said.

"We definitely have better pace here than we anticipated, but every little bit that comes adds up bit by bit.
Closer

"I am not saying we have the speed of the other top guys, but we're getting closer.

"Heikki certainly did a great job and seems to be fast enough, so for this weekend's race we look like we may have the pace to be in the top 10, and that's a great step for us."

The 24-year-old Briton said that it has been an almighty struggle to even make it into the final qualifying session so far this season.

However, he feels that his car has improved significantly since the start of the season and he will continue to catch up with the front runners as the year wears on.

"It's been a complete hustle all year to get into the top 10. We're hustling and grinding to get every bit out of that car as possible.

"I feel we get a little more out of the car every time, and that's why I am happy with the work we have been doing.

"If we had been a lot closer at the start of the season we would have caught up by now, but we were a long way away.

"We'll get there eventually. We're working hard as we can. We know it's not a quick fix and it just takes time."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Vettel rues lack of running
German driver will have to play catch-up

Sebastian Vettel says his start to the Turkish Grand Prix weekend "isn't ideal" after he was forced out of Friday's practice with an engine problem.

The 21-year-old German, who currently lies third in the championship standings, stopped out on track in the second session of the day after feeling a vibration in his car.

Despite finishing the first session in fourth place, Vettel missed out on vital track time and will have to rely on team-mate Mark Webber's data for set-up information.

"I felt a vibration during the second session, so stopped the car as it didn't look very good," he said.
Engine

"We didn't know what the exact problem was, but when we got the car back it turned out it was the engine.

"We made some changes to the car between the two practice sessions, which meant we were a few minutes late starting the second practice.

"It wouldn't have been a problem but then, as it turned out, I was only able to complete three laps in the afternoon due to the vibration in the car.

"I'll be relying on Mark's data from today - having one car running on Friday isn't ideal."

The problem is another blow for the Red Bull driver, who finished behind Webber in Barcelona before crashing in Monaco last time out.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Barrichello - I can be champ
Brazilian ace dreams of world crown

Perennial nearly-man Rubens Barrichello insists he still has a fighting chance of becoming Formula One world champion this season.

The 37-year-old Brazilian has twice finished second in the championship race - back in 2002 and 2004.

He is currently second in this year's standings, 16 points behind Brawn GP team-mate Jenson Button, who has won five out of the six races so far.

Had Bernie Ecclestone's medals system had been in place this season, then Barrichello, who has finished second to Button on three occasions, believes he would have virtually no chance right now.

But the veteran insists he can still bridge the gap on Button with 11 races to go, starting in the Turkish GP in Istanbul on Sunday.

But he knows he must start to win races - something he has not managed to do since 2004, although he looked on course to win in Barcelona only for Button to be switched to a two-stop strategy which sealed his victory

Barrichello said: "I'm a little disappointed because I should have won a race by now.

"But after so many years, the shoulds and the ifs don't exist any more. It's down to what you dream of, and I dream of being champion.
Crazy

"People might say I'm crazy because my team-mate has won five races already, and I'm lucky the championship is not decided by the wins, because otherwise I would definitely say he had won it already.

"But it's a healthy fight, and I expect to improve all the time. That's the way I've been.

"In the first four races, the balance of the car has favoured him a little, but with the new package I think I've come back a bit.

"We had the problem we know about in Barcelona, and in Monaco I dominated the whole time, but Jenson put in a lap (in qualifying) that was just phenomenal, just unbeatable.

"But there are still plenty of races, 11 to go. When you consider four months ago I was at home wondering if I would have a car, now I do.

"Now I am dreaming of being world champion. I can afford to think like that. I just have to put it into practice."

He added: "It (victory) can definitely happen sooner rather than later.

"The thing that makes me enthusiastic is that Jenson, despite his five wins and all the hype and momentum, is only 16 points ahead.

Turned around

"That, for me, is the most important thing because it can be turned around.

"He's not that far away right now. It's just that he has won five races and I haven't. I am waiting to win the next five."

While Barrichello admits his team-mate has been "very consistent", he believes this is the case for himself also.

He added: "He (Button) has always been very quick in races, which you might not have noticed in recent years because we've been fighting for 12th and 13th.

"But that is my strongest point as well, being fast in qualifying and then keeping the speed into the race.

"It's just that in the first four races (this year) he opened up a gap because of the balance he had with the car, and he was very happy.

"Now it seems I am little happier with the car. The momentum is still going his way, but I am hopeful and prepared that it will stop here."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Massa concedes title
Ferrari ace insists no one can stop Brawn or Button

Although Felipe Massa insists he will fight until the bitter end, the Ferrari driver believes there's no stopping Jenson Button from winning this year's world title.

Heading into this weekend's Turkish GP, Button holds a 16-point lead in the drivers' standings after the Brawn GP driver joined a select few to have won five of the first six races of a season.

It has been an impressive showing from the 29-year-old and his team, one that has led Massa to proclaim that this year's world championship already belongs to Button.

"I'm not the kind of guy who gives up very easily, so I'll fight until the last corner of the last race," said Massa.

"But in my experience, Brawn will be champions. It's impossible to believe they are going to lose the Championship.
Difficult

"For me it's already over. It's quite difficult to believe Brawn will not score points anymore.

"They have a really competitive car with which it is easy to score points, so even if we win as many races as possible, they are going to be there."

Button, though, has downplayed Massa's claims, saying the title is not yet his to celebrate.

"It's definitely not going to be a walk in the park, and you can see that by the competitiveness of the other teams," said Button.

"If you looked through the data of every race we've been to, the lap times of certain teams are as competitive as us. We've just done a better job over the weekend.

"They will get it right, for sure, but hopefully not too often."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Heidfeld remains confident
German driver believes Turkish GP will be vital for BMW

Rookie Sebastien Buemi is refusing to get downbeat by recent problems that have hindered his maiden Formula One season.

The 20-year-old Swiss driver scored two points on his debut for Toro Rosso in Australia and then collected a point at a rain-lashed China in the third race of the year.

He then struggled to make an impact in Bahrain, Barcelona, and most recently Monaco, but hopes to stop the rot in Turkey this weekend.
Problems

"Our car is going better and better, even if it's true I've had three difficult weekends at the last three races," reflected Buemi.

"In Bahrain I was unlucky to pick up a piece of Robert Kubica's car that got wedged in my front wing; in Spain someone drove into me, and in Monaco I made a mistake.

"At the moment when these things happen, I find them hard to deal with, but afterwards I don't let them bother me.

"I tell myself I'm in Formula One trying to do the best I can, so there is no point in beating myself up over what's happened.

"I just want to move forward and I hope that, starting with Turkey, things will improve and we can look to score points again."

Potential

The last incident in Monaco saw Buemi run into the back of Nelson Piquet in his Renault, following which Toro Rosso took the unusual step of apologising to the Brazilian and his team via email.

Buemi would naturally like to avoid such embarrassment at Istanbul's Otodrom - a track he is already familiar with.

"I've raced here twice in GP2, finishing on the podium in third place last year, so I have good memories of Turkey," added Buemi.

"I like the circuit and I have always felt comfortable here, so I don't have too many worries, and I hope that will be the case this year for my first time in F1.

"With what we learned about the car in Monaco, we should be able to use all its potential now and Istanbul should provide a clearer picture of where we really are in the order.

"But we definitely need to do better than at the last three races."

sky star 2

Super VIP
'Brabham' to return to F1
Family seeks legal advice over use of name

Brabham Grand Prix have confirmed their entry for next year's Championship, although it is not the team that won two Drivers' and four Constructors' titles between 1962-92 when they ran in F1.

German businessman Franz Hilmer holds the rights to the name, and last year bought the assets of the now defunct Super Aguri.

Hilmer, who will be team principal, confirmed in a statement: "The Brabham Grand Prix team has pleasure in announcing its application as a cost-cap Formula One team for the FIA 2010 Formula One world championship.

"We appreciate the FIA rules for cost-capped F1 teams and are convinced the budget limitation is a contemporary obligation and will effect a revitalisation of the Formula One World Championship.

"We would be happy to enter into Formula One as a cost-cap team and to meet the challenge under the new rules."

However, the family of Sir Jack Brabham are seeking legal advice after news that the 'Brabham' name could return to Formula One next season.

A statement released by Brabham Enterprises Limited read: "Sir Jack Brabham and the Brabham family have expressed their surprise at the recent news reporting that an entry has been submitted for the 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship by Formtech with the intention of operating as Brabham Grand Prix Limited.

"The family would like to make it clear that they are in no way involved with Brabham Grand Prix Limited and received no consultation regarding the company's plans to resurrect their historic name in Formula One.

"The family is taking legal advice and will take necessary steps to protect their name, reputation and its goodwill."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Briatore - Brawns unbeatable
Renault boss unhappy with season

Renault team principal Flavio Briatore believes that this year's Formula One title race is already over.

Fernando Alonso currently lies seventh in the drivers' standings, with the team a massive 75 points behind Brawn GP in the constructor table after only six races.

Briatore thinks that the gap in performance to Ross Brawn's cars will not be able to be overhauled before the end of the season.

"We are not happy at all," the Italian said. "We were expecting a different championship and a much better performance from our car.

"When we arrived in Australia we felt there was a big difference between us and the Brawns. I think everybody felt that.
Finished

"Our team approached the 2009 car from a completely different angle, although we expected to improve race by race, if at all possible.

"But (for) me the championship is finished already. Brawn is very, very difficult to beat for anybody.

"Maybe Red Bull have a good chance of finishing second, with everybody else fighting for third and fourth place. This is the honest situation."

The team's young Brazilian driver, Nelson Piquet, has had a very disappointing season so far, not having scored a single point in the first six races.

Pressure is mounting on Piquet and there are rumours he could be replaced by the Hungarian Grand Prix unless there is a significant improvement in his form.

Tough

The 24-year-old knows his performances are coming under increased scrutiny but insists he can handle the extra pressure.

"I have been through a lot of tough moments the last two years," said Piquet.

"I have a hard team, a hard boss and a hard team-mate which is going to help me a lot in the future. I admit it has been a difficult season, I know that. I didn't imagine coming to the seventh race without any points.

"But criticism is going to be around my whole life, so it's nothing that bothers me; it won't make me go quicker or slower.

"I know there are plenty of other drivers hitting the door wanting to come in, so it's normal for a team to put pressure on a driver. But then I put the pressure on myself, although this is not enjoyable right now.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Button eyes win in Turkey
Championship leader hoping to end Turkish pole streak

Jenson Button is hoping to end a four-year streak by winning the Turkish Grand Prix on Sunday.

In every race sine the first race around Istanbul Park in 2005, the pole winner has gone on to take the chequered flag in first place.

But the world championship leader believes that he has the pace to overhaul polesitter Sebastian Vettel and take victory from second place on the grid.

He said: "I'm looking forward to the race. Every pole position man here has won, so we aim to change that. You can overtake here, so we will have fun tomorrow."

Despite dominating the championship so far this season, Button says that it has not been plain sailing this weekend.
Balance

"I enjoy this circuit and that's why I found it tough when we arrived here and couldn't find the right balance," the 29-year-old added.

"When one person in the team is doing good laps, it's fine because you know the car has it. You just have to find it.

"Yesterday was a tough day for everyone. It was so windy and we couldn't get a balance with the car, but today with some changes to the setup and wind calmed down the car seemed much better.

"After practice, it was quite difficult to see what tyres to run in qualifying. On prime (tyres I) didn't have much feeling so wasn't sure. We did the right thing in staying with it in Q3 and not chopping and changing so I could get on with my work.

"We worked all the way through the day, pleased with front row and great place to be for tomorrow."

Not Over

The British driver is currently 16 points ahead of team-mate Rubens Barrichello in the World Drivers' Championship, with Vettel a further 12 points back.

However, Button does not think that he already has the title sewn up.

"It is not over until I have got more points than everyone else and they can't get more points than me. And it is not over until the last race I suppose," he added.

"I am looking forward to driving this track but we have not yet got anywhere near the balance that we want.

"Hopefully we will get the best out of it, and the Brawn is a quick car and should work here, but the Championship won't be over here - there is a long way to go."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Pole a surprise for Vettel
Red Bull driver puts Friday problems behind him

Sebastian Vettel admitted he was surprised to be on pole position after he qualified fastest for the Turkish Grand Prix.

The German was on the back-foot after being forced to sit out the majority of Friday's second practice session with an engine problem.

The issue had been resolved by the start of the third practice on Saturday morning, but Vettel could only manage 10th place in that session.

However, he still managed to have the edge over his rivals in the all-important qualifying session, topping the timesheets in all three parts and beating Jenson Button to pole by just over a tenth of a second.

History favours the Red Bull driver as he has converted his previous two pole positions into race wins and can also take comfort from the fact that the polesitter has gone on to win all four editions of the Turkish Grand Prix.
Difficulties

"We will try our best to keep this statistic alive but it won't be easy," Vettel said. "We have a very good chance here, a very good car.

"I expected more difficulties in qualifying but we made it. This is just half way and the main task for us comes tomorrow, it is a long race, very tough, it won't be an easy one, it will be exciting, so let's see.

"In Friday practice we had an engine failure so I was not able to do a lot of laps but I had a good feeling for the car so I was quite confident.

"It was a surprise to be quickest in all sessions. Finally we made it. In the last couple of races we tried hard and finally we are ahead of these white guys (Brawn). Everything is positive so we will see tomorrow."

Dry

Vettel won a rainy Chinese Grand Prix earlier this year and also triumphed in changeable conditions in Monza last season.

But the 21-year-old believes that his car will also be competitive in the hot and dry conditions that are expected at Istanbul Park on Sunday.

He added: "I think in China I was confident, but it didn't help at all because the day after it was raining. It was a good race for us obviously with the conditions, but we could not show how good we could have been in the dry.

"Tomorrow should be so let's see how we get on tomorrow. We have done our homework so far but the main demands come tomorrow when we have to race 58 laps around here."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Vettel leaves it late
Button denied hat-trick of pole positions

Sebastian Vettel produced a last gasp lap to claim pole position for the Turkish Grand Prix.

The 21-year-old German denied Jenson Button a hat-trick of pole position starts with a late charge around the Istanbul Park circuit.

Button's team-mate Rubens Barrichello completed the top three qualifiers after he produced pulled out a lap at the end of a Q3 session that he started in sluggish fashion.

It was another frustrating day for world champion Lewis Hamilton, who failed to progress from the first qualifying session for the second consecutive race.

The McLaren driver struggled with a lack of grip and was edged out by an impressive performance from his former Formula Three team-mate Adrian Sutil.

Brazilian Nelson Piquet, the two Toro Rosso drivers and Giancarlo Fisichella of Force India joined Hamilton in the bottom five.

In the second qualifying session, Vettel was quickest as Nick Heidfeld, Kazuki Nakajima, Timo Glock, Hamilton's team-mate Kovalainen and Sutil finished outside the top 10 and so did not make it into the Q3 shootout.
Frantic

The third session saw Vettel stake his claim early before he was knocked off top spot by team-mate Mark Webber.

Button was next across the line and posted a time that demoted the Australian to second before Barrichello briefly made it an all-Brawn front-row.

However, Vettel had left enough time to complete one last flying lap and he crossed the line in a time of 1 minute 28.316 seconds to put himself back on top of the timesheets.

It is the third pole of the young driver's career, who has converted both of his previous two into commanding positions.

Webber hung on to finish fourth while Toyota driver Jarno Trulli will start behind him in fifth. Ferrari pair Kimi Raikkonen and Felipe Massa could only manage sixth and seventh.

Double world champion Fernando Alonso will line-up eighth while Nico Rosberg and Robert Kubica will start on the fifth-row in ninth and 10th respectively.

Qualifying positions:
1 Sebastian Vettel (Ger) Red Bull 1min 28.316secs
2 Jenson Button (Gbr) Brawn GP 1:28.421
3 Rubens Barrichello (Bra) Brawn GP 1:28.579
4 Mark Webber (Aus) Red Bull 1:28.613
5 Jarno Trulli (Ita) Toyota 1:28.666
6 Kimi Raikkonen (Fin) Ferrari 1:28.815
7 Felipe Massa (Bra) Ferrari 1:28.858
8 Fernando Alonso (Spa) Renault 1:29.075
9 Nico Rosberg (Ger) Williams 1:29.191
10 Robert Kubica (Pol) BMW Sauber 1:29.357
11 Nick Heidfeld (Ger) BMW Sauber 1:27.521
12 Kazuki Nakajima (Jpn) Williams 1:27.629
13 Timo Glock (Ger) Toyota 1:27.795
14 Heikki Kovalainen (Fin) McLaren 1:28.207
15 Adrian Sutil (Ger) Force India 1:28.391
16 Lewis Hamilton (Gbr) McLaren 1:28.318
17 Nelson Piquet Jr (Bra) Renault 1:28.582
18 Sebastien Buemi (Swi)

Scuderia Toro Rosso 1:28.708
19 Giancarlo Fisichella (Ita) Force India 1:28.717
20 Sebastien Bourdais (Fra) Scuderia Toro Rosso 1:28.918

sky star 2

Super VIP
Button is supreme in Turkey
Championship leader takes advantage of Vettel blunder

Jenson Button extended his lead at the top of the Formula One drivers' standings by cruising to victory in the Turkish Grand Prix.

The British driver took advantage of a first lap mistake from polesitter Sebastian Vettel to lead almost every lap en route a commanding win.

Australian Mark Webber claimed second place after Vettel's aggressive fuel strategy did not pay off and the German slipped down into third.

Jarno Trulli was a long way behind in fourth place, edging out Williams driver Nico Rosberg by a little over five seconds.

As the lights went out, Rubens Barrichello crawled away from his third place on the grid, being swamped by the field and falling all the way back to 13th.
Cruising

Later on in the first lap, Vettel ran wide on the exit of turn nine and Button cruised through into the lead of the race.

The British driver then began to fly away at the front, setting a string of fastest laps to extend his advantage over the German.

Barrichello's race was ruined when he got stuck behind the KERS-assisted McLaren of Heikki Kovalainen, eventually spinning in a frustrated attempt to pass the Finn.

The Brazilian was then forced to pit early after losing part of his front-wing in an attempt to pass Force India driver Adrian Sutil at the final corner.

Vettel was the first of the front-runners to stop on lap 16, his car being fuelled lightly and his strategy switched to three stops.

Button then stopped a lap later, meaning Webber briefly led the race, and easily stayed ahead of Vettel.

Behind them, Nico Rosberg used his heavier fuel load to leap-frog the Toyota of Trulli and move into fourth place during the first round of pit stops.

Vettel used his lighter car to close up to the back of Button but crucially could not find a way past the championship leader and the Briton remained in command of the race.

Battle

The 21-year-old pitted again on the 29th lap which promoted Webber into second and gave Button some breathing space at the front.

Reigning world champion Lewis Hamilton provided some mid-race entertainment during a battle with his old GP2 rival Nelson Piquet, but the contest was only for tenth place.

Button came in for his second and final stop on lap 43 with Webber coming in right behind him. The British driver was so far ahead that he emerged from his stop still ahead of the three-stopping Vettel.

The second round of stops revealed that Rosberg had been short fuelled for his middle stint and Trulli regained fourth position from the German driver.

Vettel entered the pit-lane for his third and final stop with 10 laps remaining, handing second place to his Australian team-mate.

Webber came under pressure from his fellow Red Bull driver in the final few laps but did not risk a move that could have taken them both out of the race.

Felipe Massa finished behind Trulli and Rosberg in sixth, while Robert Kubica and Timo Glock rounded out the points positions.

Turkish Grand Prix result:
1 Jenson Button (Gbr) Brawn GP 1hr 26mins 24.848secs, 2 Mark Webber (Aus) Red Bull 1:26:31.562, 3 Sebastian Vettel (Ger) Red Bull 1:26:32.309, 4 Jarno Trulli (Ita) Toyota 1:26:52.691, 5 Nico Rosberg (Ger) Williams 1:26:56.387, 6 Felipe Massa (Bra) Ferrari 1:27:04.844, 7 Robert Kubica (Pol) BMW Sauber 1:27:11.095, 8 Timo Glock (Ger) Toyota 1:27:11.807, 9 Kimi Raikkonen (Fin) Ferrari 1:27:15.048, 10 Fernando Alonso (Spa) Renault 1:27:27.248, 11 Nick Heidfeld (Ger) BMW Sauber 1:27:29.175, 12 Kazuki Nakajima (Jpn) Williams 1:27:31.224, 13 Lewis Hamilton (Gbr) McLaren 1:27:45.302, 14 Heikki Kovalainen (Fin) McLaren at 1 lap, 15 Sebastien Buemi (Swi) Scuderia Toro Rosso at 1 lap, 16 Nelson Piquet Jr (Bra) Renault at 1 lap, 17 Adrian Sutil (Ger) Force India at 1 lap, 18 Sebastien Bourdais (Fra) Scuderia Toro Rosso at 1 lap
Not Classified: 19 Rubens Barrichello (Bra) Brawn GP 47 laps completed, 20 Giancarlo Fisichella (Ita) Force India 4 laps completed

World Championship Standings:
Drivers: 1 Jenson Button (Gbr) Brawn GP 61pts, 2 Rubens Barrichello (Bra) Brawn GP 35, 3 Sebastian Vettel (Ger) Red Bull 29, 4 Mark Webber (Aus) Red Bull 27.5, 5 Jarno Trulli (Ita) Toyota 19.5, 6 Timo Glock (Ger) Toyota 13, 7 Nico Rosberg (Ger) Williams 11.5, 8 Felipe Massa (Bra) Ferrari 11, 9 Fernando Alonso (Spa)Renault 11, 10 Kimi Raikkonen (Fin) Ferrari 9, 11 Lewis Hamilton (Gbr) McLaren 9, 12 Nick Heidfeld (Ger) BMW Sauber 6, 13 Heikki Kovalainen (Fin) McLaren 4, 14 Sebastien Buemi (Swi) Scuderia Toro Rosso 3, 15 Robert Kubica (Pol) BMW Sauber 2, 16 Sebastien Bourdais (Fra) Scuderia Toro Rosso 2, 17 Giancarlo Fisichella (Ita) Force India 0, 18 Adrian Sutil (Ger) Force India 0, 19 Nelson Piquet Jr (Bra) Renault 0, 20 Kazuki Nakajima (Jpn) Williams 0
Manufacturers: 1 Brawn GP 96pts, 2 Red Bull 56.5, 3 Toyota 32.5, 4 Ferrari 20, 5 McLaren 13, 6 Williams 11.5, 7 Renault 11, 8 BMW Sauber 8, 9 Scuderia Toro Rosso 5, 10 Force India 0
:thum:

sky star 2

Super VIP
Webber - Win wasn't possible
Button a 'different animal' in Turkey

Mark Webber admits that he had no answer to the pace of Brawn GP driver Jenson Button in the Turkish Grand Prix.

The Australian finished the race in second place but did not threaten Button's lead at any point.

Although he managed to leap-frog Red Bull team-mate Sebastian Vettel, Webber conceded that he could not do anything to catch Button.

"It was a very good afternoon for me," Webber said.

"I had to hang in there as long as I could in the first stint and that went pretty well, and after that it opened up for me to pull away from the rest of the field.

"I knew Sebastian's strategy and the second stint was crucial - it came off for me and I'm happy because I don't think we were ever going to win today because the guy who won is a different animal."
Error

Vettel, meanwhile, was disappointed with his third place after he had started the race from the very front of the grid.

Running wide on the first lap handed the lead to Button and compromised his three-stop strategy. Vettel did not enjoy following Webber home but realised that Red Bull's double-podium should not have been put at risk.

"Yes, I made a mistake on the first lap - that was my error - but I don't think it would've made a difference because Jenson was so far ahead today.

"I did think I would switch to a two-stop strategy but we stuck with our pre-race plan and in the end I followed Mark home. I'm not happy, of course, but it was a good result for the team."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Button hails 'fantastic' car
Runaway winner says Brawn are stronger than ever

Jenson Button believes that Brawn GP are getting stronger after he took his sixth win of the season at the Turkish Grand Prix.

The championship leader dominated the field on Sunday, taking the lead on the first lap and holding it all the way to the finish.

The result gives him a comfortable 25-point gap at the top of the championship standings, with team-mate Rubens Barrichello his nearest challenger.

Buttton paid tribute to his team after the race, saying that his car was faster than it had been all season.
Quick

"Today the car was the best it has been this year," he said.

"We have been quick on other occasions but the car was loose and not suiting my style. I have to thank everyone, it just keeps getting better.

"I don't know if this circuit suits us more than others. The car was fantastic today and I wish I could have had all the boys of the podium."

Polesitter Sebastian Vettel opted for a three-stop strategy, meaning he was lighter and faster than Button during the second stint.

The British driver insisted that he had the race under control but admitted that the sight of the Red Bull in his mirrors was a little disconcerting.

He added: "It was okay, I knew that he was going short. We knew what lap he was going to stop on. It is still not a very nice feeling to see a car catch you (at) eight tenths a lap.

"Today we were a step ahead and it is a nice feeling."

Formula One will travel to Silverstone for the British Grand Prix in two weeks time with Button a hot favourite to take victory. The 29-year-old says he cannot wait to race in front of his home crowd.

"The British GP is always special even when times have been tougher. Leading the championship by 26 points is quite a nice feeling and I am looking forward to it very much," he added

sky star 2

Super VIP
Hamilton - It was enjoyable
World champion pleased with drive

Reigning world champion Lewis Hamilton says that he "thoroughly enjoyed" the Turkish Grand Prix, despite finishing in 13th place.

Hamilton used a one-stop strategy to finish just ahead of his McLaren team-mate Heikki Kovalainen. He crossed the line just under a lap behind race winner Jenson Button.

The 24-year-old insisted that he extracted the maximum performance from his uncompetitive car and was pleased with his overall drive.

"I actually thoroughly enjoyed the race - even though I was so far back," Hamilton said.

"I was so heavy (with fuel) at the start, but I pushed and pushed and I'm smiling now because I feel like I got the very best out of the car.

"I'll say to the (McLaren) guys not to get downbeat - yes we might not challenge for wins this year, but let's knuckle down and make sure we bounce back from this - especially next year.
Happy

The British Grand Prix is next up and Hamilton is eagerly anticipating the race, even though he is unlikely to repeat last year's victory.

"I'm still looking forward to Silverstone next up," he added.

"It's going to be great to see the fans and to try and give them something to cheer - and I want to wish Jenson Button all the very best, I'm really happy for him."

Earlier, Hamilton admitted that the team still do not understand what is causing their lack of pace, even though he was seen other teams begin to turn their performance around.

"With the other guys, (Ferrari) they have clearly got good foundations to work from," he said.

"Ferrari's car looked good from the beginning, it just lacked a little bit of down-force. They have got that now so they are more competitive.

"But I think for us we lacked the down-force from a very early stage. I am sure we have all the down-force; we are just not able to get it out of the car. Something switches it off in the high-speed corners for some reason."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Button - I'm driving my best
Championship leader Jenson out to win every race

Jenson Button is ready to pound his rivals into submission after admitting he is driving to the best of his ability.

Despite six victories in seven races to open up a 26-point lead at the top of the drivers' standings, Button wants more.

Brawn GP team-mate Rubens Barrichello's clutch problem off the line and pole-sitter Sebastian Vettel's mistake halfway into the first lap handed Button a victory in Turkey that left him purring.

Describing his car as "perfect", Button is currently in a league of his own - a position he has no intention of relinquishing.

"I know I would love to win every single race this year, but I also know I've another 19 guys on the circuit that want to stop me doing that," assessed Button.

"I'm in a good position, and while the race in Turkey showed we do have the best car, I also think we have the best package.

"This car really suits me and I think I'm driving at my best.

"Everybody within the team is in a very good position, and they are also giving 100 per cent.

"At the moment you would say the situation is perfect, but it could quite easily go the wrong way.
Pushing

"These guys (referring to Red Bull) could easily bolt something on the car to bring them to our pace, or even quicker, so you can't take anything for granted.

"You've got to keep pushing. You can't lift off and hope for the best, or try and take it easy.

"So although I've a 26-point lead, which is just out of this world, I'm still not going to lift off.

"I'm still going to do the best job I can at every race I go to, and I'm still going to make every move I possibly can to win every race.

"I know that is not going to be easy because I will have a bad race this year, and I will get beaten.

"It will then be about being ready for that when it happens."

Team principal Ross Brawn is grateful he does not have to face the additional challenge of keeping Button level-headed.

"The guy is very well balanced in his approach," remarked Brawn.

"He has been through some very tough years, and with this team (when they were Honda) so he knows how much he has had to put in to get where he is today.

"He won't let it go to his head, and I know it won't. Jenson has always had a nice character, which hasn't changed at all since he started to enjoy the success.

"He is a delight to work with, and he deserves everything he is getting."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Schumacher backing FOTA
Former world champion insists changes can't be made overnight

Seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher insists that whilst it is all well and good to cut costs, manufactures can't be expected to do so overnight.

As the row between Formula One teams and the FIA rages on regarding the governing body's insistence that costs be dramatically slashed for the 2010 season, Schumacher has backed the likes of Ferrari, BMW and Renault as they look to limit the scale of cost-cutting.

"You cannot expect drastic changes to be accepted by such important manufacturers," the German told Ferrari's official website.

"Yes, you have a target, yes, you want to reduce costs, but you have to do it step by step, you cannot turn the world around in one day - that is impossible."

With Ferrari's future in F1 seeming uncertain, Schmuacher is adamant that a solution must be found to keep the team in the competition.

"You cannot see F1 without Ferrari or the other manufacturers who have participated for so long," he said.

"I really believe that somehow they must find a solution - and the solution can only be one that suits those teams that have built up F1 to the state that it is now."

sky star 2

Super VIP
FOTA and FIA move closer
Eight teams moving towards an agreement ahead of Friday deadline

The Formula One Teams' Association isbelieved to be edging closer to an agreement with the FIA before it is announced who will be competing in 2010.

FIA president Max Mosley sent a letter to FOTA urging the teams to submit an unconditional entry for next year, in return offering to sit down with all confirmed entrants to listen to their proposals regarding future regulations.

There are eight remaining teams in FOTA - Ferrari, BMW Sauber, Renault, Toyota, McLaren, Red Bull Racing, Toro Rosso and Brawn GP - left to make a decision before the end of the week.

The announcement of the entrants for next season will be made on Friday. Williams and Force India have alredy entered due to contractual obligations.

An FIA spokesperson said: "The FIA has received a letter and various attachments from FOTA, the contents of which are not entirely negative, and we are currently examining the details."

The eight teams have said they will sign up through to 2012 if this year's regulations are allowed to continue into next season.

FOTA is also looking for all parties - teams, FIA and Bernie Ecclestone's Formula One Management company - to re-sign the Concorde Agreement, which is a confidential commercial document governing the sport.