Formula 1 News

sky star 2

Super VIP
BUTTON LOOKING FOR SPA RELIEF

Jenson Button is hoping one of his favourite circuits will see an end to the tough times that have dented his Formula One world title hopes.

Button's stunning start to the season, when he won six of the first seven grands prix and appeared unstoppable in his quest to land the crown, has virtually been forgotten.

The last four races have yielded only 11 points for the Brawn GP star, who still retains an 18-point cushion over team-mate Rubens Barrichello, and there is growing anxiety.

Button admitted after his seventh place in Sunday's European Grand Prix in Valencia he needs to be more aggressive in order to keep the chasing pack at bay over the final six races.

The Belgian Grand Prix on Sunday at a Spa-Francorchamps track that has no equal in F1 should provide a perfect opportunity for Button to showcase his new approach.

"Spa is one of my favourite circuits and has a layout which gives everything you could want as a driver," said Button.

"It's one of the fastest and most challenging circuits in the world, with hills, fast corners and long straights, which combine to give you a real buzz to drive.

"It's also a very beautiful circuit with the forest setting, although the weather can be unpredictable.

"It can play a big part in the race weekend, even in the summer, so you have to be ready to react, but that unpredictability is part of the thrill of racing at Spa.

"Eau Rouge is still a legendary corner, although it is usually easy flat (out) for us in the dry.

"But the feeling when you hit the bottom of the hill, touch the ground and shoot straight back up again is amazing."

Button finally has a car beneath him to enhance that thrill and, even though the winning touch has deserted him of late, he still feels it is a package that can deliver.

"It's been a tough few races for me recently," reflected Button.

"But the car felt very good in Valencia and the pace was right up there when I was able to run in clear air during the race.

"So we're feeling positive and very much looking forward to the weekend."

The major concern for Button and team boss Ross Brawn has been the failure of the tyres to work in cooler air.

After the heat of Valencia, where Barrichello scored his first race win for five years, there will be a noticeable drop in temperature at Spa.

The weather is not due to be as inclement as it has often been but still significant enough to test the Brawn cars and the work of the team in correcting the issues.

"Our return to form in Valencia and the very well-deserved win for Rubens has given everyone at the team a timely boost as we head into the final part of the season," remarked Brawn.

"Looking ahead to the race in Spa, it will be another challenge with a very different type of circuit and ambient weather conditions.

"Although we believe we now have a better understanding of our recent tyre issues, the lower track temperatures at Spa will be the proving ground for this.

"We will have another busy testing programme tomorrow to validate the conclusions reached in Valencia and then build our weekend from there."

sky star 2

Super VIP
POINT TO PROVE FOR GLOCK

Timo Glock is looking to erase the disappointment of last season's Belgian Grand Prix when he returns to the Spa circuit for Sunday's race.

A year ago Glock believed he had clinched a point following a late charge in the rain in his Toyota, only to later incur a 25-second time penalty for overtaking under waved yellow flags.

It is an injustice that clearly still rankles with Glock, as he said: "Even though I really enjoy the circuit, I have some frustrating memories of the place.

"In 2007 I was taken out by another driver on the warm-up lap (of the GP2 race), and then last year I was penalised after doing one of the best final laps of my career to get into the points.

"I was given a time penalty because the stewards said I overtook under a yellow flag. I had to accept it, even though I didn't feel I did anything wrong.

"That was all down to bad luck so I am due a change. This weekend I will be fighting to make up for that disappointment by scoring my first Formula One points at Spa."

Despite those setbacks, and the often inclement weather that can add to the excitement of one of the sport's most respected venues, Glock cannot wait to hit the track again.

"Along with Monaco, Spa is my favourite circuit," added the German.

"To drive a Formula One car around it is a fantastic experience and it's one of the best feelings you can have in this sport.

"It's one of those circuits you dream about racing on when you are growing up. It's just a very impressive track.

"Last year the weather was a big factor in the race and rain always seems to be a risk at Spa, but I have been quick there in the wet and dry, so I am excited about this weekend.

"I hope we can be strong."

After a positive start to the season when Glock and team-mate Jarno Trulli suggested Toyota would be a force, the team have taken a mere 12 points from the last seven races.

In particular, qualifying has become a thorny issue as neither man has clinched a top-10 grid slot in the last three grands prix.

"We know this is an area to improve and everyone is working really hard to get more out of the car on one lap," insisted Glock.

"Our race pace is much stronger relative to the other cars than our qualifying pace and this is a bit frustrating because it makes it harder to get the results we expect.

"In Valencia (European Grand Prix last weekend) I was really giving it everything, but the tyres were dropping off in the last few corners.

"When the field is so close, that costs you quite a lot in terms of grid position.

"Overall, it was a tricky weekend because we did not perform at the level we expected. It was disappointing in the end."

sky star 2

Super VIP
HAMILTON CAUTIOUS OVER SPA CHANCES

Lewis Hamilton may be riding the crest of a wave at present, but he has played down expectations ahead of Sunday's Belgian Grand Prix.

The reigning world champion is close to relinquishing his crown as he trails current title leader Jenson Button by 45 points with six races remaining.

But Hamilton is the man in form in his McLaren ahead of tackling one of his favourite circuits this weekend at Spa-Francorchamps.

A return to winning ways in Hungary last month was followed at the weekend by second spot in the European Grand Prix in Valencia on Sunday where he was denied another victory by a pit-call mix-up.

But with 18 points from his last two races, after previously taking nine from nine, the 24-year-old's first-half-of-the-season woes are firmly a thing of the past.

"Before the recent upgrades, we'd have been hopeful of getting into the top 10," remarked Hamilton.

"But now we're regularly hoping for a win or to finish second, and that's a big difference and very encouraging.

"We're definitely strong again, but we're not fastest. With KERS, we are there or thereabouts, but we still lack two or three tenths (of a second) to the Brawns.

"Hopefully we can make further changes to our aerodynamic package, so Spa will be an interesting test for us."

Hamilton, though, is far from anticipating the 4.35-mile Spa track - the longest on the Formula One calendar - to be totally to the liking of his revamped car.

"I don't think we'll be as competitive as we've been at the last few races because Spa is a circuit where you need a lot of downforce," added Hamilton.

"I think Brawn, Red Bull and even Ferrari will be fast there. It's a high-speed circuit and Ferrari have always been very quick there, so I'm expecting Kimi (Raikkonen) to be quick.

"It should also suit the Red Bulls because it's very high speed and flowing, and they have great downforce.

"Like most races these days, it's going to be very competitive. For ourselves, we need to ensure we are competitive without KERS, so when we use it, it will give us the advantage that we need."

Team principal Martin Whitmarsh, however, feels recent alterations to the car will benefit Hamilton and team-mate Heikki Kovalainen.

The McLaren has previously been abysmal on high-speed circuits, but with the race at Spa followed by another fast track at Monza for the Italian Grand Prix, Whitmarsh said: "I think we have made some progress.

"I think we have the ability now, with the revised wheelbase, to play a little bit with the weight distribution which I think was not in the right place for high-speed corners.

"I think we have some downforce, which is quite handy in high-speed corners.

"I can't honestly predict where we will be there (in Spa). I think, relatively, we will be much more competitive than we would have been.

"It's clear we need to keep pushing, and continue to improve the car. We want to be in a position where we dominate qualifying and then carry it into the race."

sky star 2

Super VIP
RAIKKONEN AIMS FOR PODIUM SPOT

Kimi Raikkonen has set his sights on a hat-trick of podium finishes this weekend despite Ferrari's focus now firmly on 2010.

With the Maranello marque deciding recently both Formula One world titles were out of reach, the team opted to stop development on the current car and pour their resources into next year's model.

The hope is that by making an early start, unlike last season when Felipe Massa fought for the championship through to the final bend of the last race, Ferrari will return to the front again.

That has not prevented Raikkonen from upholding Ferrari's honour in the last two grands prix, finishing second and third in Hungary and Valencia.

The Finn now heads to Spa this weekend, scene of the Belgian Grand Prix where last season he crashed out in a stunning last-lap duel with Lewis Hamilton, determined to maintain his and Ferrari's upturn in fortunes.

"With the points we gained (in Valencia) we are still ahead of McLaren in the constructors' championship," remarked Raikkonen.

"This is our goal as a team, although it will be very difficult to reach, considering we stopped developing this car, concentrating on the one for the upcoming season.

"So the main goal is to maintain our standard of the last few races, which means we have to try to get on the podium again.

"I have always loved racing at Spa where I've won many times since I started my career in the smaller racing series.

"I really like driving here, although 44 laps might be not enough!

"Last year everything went up in smoke due to the rain at the end of the race and I ran into a wall. I had set my all on victory and I didn't have anything to lose.

"This year the situation is slightly different because we don't have a car able to compete at the highest performance level.

"But we'll give it our all - and more - for a good result."

Despite the continual speculation surrounding Raikkonen, that he will be out of F1 next year due to an apparent lack of enthusiasm, he appears to have regained his edge of late.

Certainly he departed Valencia in an upbeat mood, adding: "I really enjoy winning, but even third can give you some good feelings.

"We started the European GP from sixth on the starting grid, had a good start and we managed to gain another place on the podium.

"We could hardly have expected more. It was definitely one of my best weekends so far this year, together with those in Monaco and Budapest, from a technical point of view."

sky star 2

Super VIP
PRESSURE NOT GETTING TO BUTTON

Jenson Button is adamant he is not cracking under the pressure of being the hunted in the fight for this season's Formula One world title.

The critics are starting to sharpen their pencils after witnessing the derailing of Button's championship charge during the last four grands prix which have yielded a meagre 11 points.

Brawn GP team principal Ross Brawn and Button initially bemoaned the cool conditions at Silverstone and the Nurburgring for their lack of performance in the British and German Grands Prix.

In Hungary, it was the slow-speed nature of the Hungaroring that proved their downfall as they again failed to get sufficient heat into the car's Bridgestone tyres.

In Valencia for the European Grand Prix four days ago, there were no excuses as temperatures soared into the mid-30s centigrade.

Instead it was a rare mistake in qualifying from 29-year-old Button that compromised his race, one in which he was forced to yield at the first corner to one of his title rivals in Sebastian Vettel.

These are the signs, so the critics are saying, Button is beginning to wilt under the strain of leading the championship as it draws to its denouement.

Not so, insists Button, who still commands an 18-point cushion over team-mate Rubens Barrichello, with Red Bull Racing duo Mark Webber and Vettel a further 2.5 and seven points adrift respectively.

"I read lots of things during the weekend that said I was happy and positive," countered Button. "It's people's opinions. I know how I feel.

"It was a frustrating weekend in a way because if certain things had gone slightly differently we would have had a great weekend.

"I would say it's the first bad weekend I've had this season.

"But I am in the best position of the four frontrunners, so I am not feeling any pressure."

As a further riposte, Button can point to the fact he is the only driver to have not only finished all 11 races this season, but to have also scored points.

Anyone suggesting he is cautious is mistaken as far as the Briton is concerned.

"That's the thing, I don't have a conservative approach," insisted Button.

"If you look at the last four races, in the first three of those our car was not as competitive as we would have hoped and when I was winning races.

"So if you get rid of those and you look at the last, it wasn't a good race weekend for me, initially because I didn't qualify well.

"At the start of the race if I'd stayed on the inside of Vettel and on the throttle I would have broken my front wing and wiped him out as well, and there would have been an almighty accident behind.

"It's just that I was in a difficult position, so I backed out and I lost three places because of it.

"So it's not a conservative approach, it's about not being stupid. There was no other way.

"Maybe we need to do something with the strategy that does not put me in a position around cars that think I'm being conservative."

After the race Button suggested Vettel was over-aggressive in his approach to the first corner, a remark that today caught the German by surprise.

"I hadn't heard that," remarked Vettel, who then defended himself against Button's claims and suggested he might discuss the matter with him.

"We are here to race and we try to defend our position. You don't sit in the car and voluntarily give up a place to the guy starting behind you.

"I don't think there was a problem. Maybe I'll have to talk to him if it was."

Button maintains no such conversation will be necessary, stating: "If there's no problem with it, there's no problem.

"The officials didn't say anything, so it was obviously okay, and there's nothing else you can do about it.

"It's part of racing. I just have to try not to be in that position again."

sky star 2

Super VIP
FERRARI DREAM FOR FISICHELLA

Giancarlo Fisichella is dreaming of receiving a phone call from Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo following this weekend's Belgian Grand Prix.

Fisichella is understood to be top of the wanted list to replace Luca Badoer at Ferrari for the Italian Grand Prix should the 38-year-old endure another hapless weekend at Spa.

Just four days ago in Valencia Badoer was the laughing stock of Formula One following a European Grand Prix weekend from hell after being handed the drive with Felipe Massa recuperating from his horror smash in Hungary.

After 12 years as a tester with Ferrari it was felt he deserved his opportunity. But Badoer looked every inch a driver who had not competed at the highest level for a decade.

On Friday Badoer was reprimanded by the stewards and fined £5000 after being caught speeding in the pit lane on four separate occasions.

On Saturday he qualified at the back of the grid, an astonishing 1.5 seconds adrift of Toro Rosso rookie Jaime Alguersuari.

Then during Sunday's race, Badoer spun, allowed Renault debutant Romain Grosjean to pass him in the pit lane, was last of the 17 finishers before concluding with a shunt into Adrian Sutil's Force India in parc ferme.

Somehow Badoer has been given another shot this weekend, but there is no shortage of people being speculated upon to replace him at Monza, with Fisichella apparently leading the way.

For the 36-year-old from Rome, approaching the twilight of his career after 223 starts, naturally such a chance would be quite remarkable.

"There is a lot of speculation and rumour," said Fisichella when asked about the prospect of being the first Italian to drive a Ferrari in the Italian Grand Prix since Ivan Capelli in 1992.

"I have seen my name on the top of the list everywhere, but Ferrari have not called me, so for me it's nothing.

"If they had called me I could say something more, but I've had no contact with them. I'm a Force India driver, it's as simple as that.

"Yes, I have a lot of friends. Stefano (team principal Domenicali) and even the president.

"But nobody has asked anything about my contract, my possibility to race in the future, for Monza or whatever. So far nothing has happened.

"Obviously I'm very pleased to be top of the list, and I would be happy to have the opportunity.

"It's a dream for all drivers to race for Ferrari, but especially for me as an Italian driver, let's say at the end of my career."

Fisichella is not even sure he will be in F1 next season, rating his chances as "50-50" and "in the balance."

"Winning Monza and the next few races would help," joked Fisichella before citing the performance of 37-year-old Rubens Barrichello at Brawn GP this season as an example of what can be achieved.

Fisichella added: "There was nothing for him at the end of last season, now he is fighting for the championship so anything can happen."

sky star 2

Super VIP
BARRICHELLO AS FOCUSED AS EVER

Rubens Barrichello insists his feet are firmly back on the ground after flying high in Valencia last weekend following his first win for five years.

Barrichello was in tears in the wake of a popular victory, one that also thrust him firmly back into the title picture as he trails Brawn GP team-mate Jenson Button by 18 points.

It was only the 37-year-old's 10th success overall of a 17-season career, but he is adamant it has not gone to his head.

"It is very true that as I crossed the line my shoulders just felt like they lost weight," reflected the Brazilian in the Spa paddock ahead of Sunday's Belgian Grand Prix.

"In a way, it feels very, very good to be here after the win, and the reception has been great.

"But I have to keep my feet on the ground and do the best job I can this weekend - and hopefully win again.

"But the glamour of winning a grand prix has already gone. Now I am back to my job."

Barrichello is hoping he has momentum on his side and that he can continue to reel in Button over the remaining six races.

"I am 18 points behind, which is still a little bit too much, but it is better than 26 which was the case before Valencia," added Barrichello.

"I am closing in, and it's a good moment for me. I am driving well, qualifying quite well, so we just need to build the momentum to keep going.

"You are never close enough (to the title) until you have really won it."

Barrichello is driving, though, with an uncertain future ahead of him as he has yet to sign a contract for 2010.

It is understood that in the wake of his performances of late, the team are looking into retaining the veteran despite his age.

Barrichello's enthusiasm, however, is as strong as ever, with the hope his situation can be resolved sooner rather than later.

"In terms of will, I am 100 per cent determined to stay in F1," asserted Barrichello.

"I showed last year that I didn't want to stop, and I believed that very much.

"Of course, I don't want to be in a situation like last year when I was waiting around for so long."

sky star 2

Super VIP
VETTEL SITS IT OUT AT RAINY SPA

Sebastian Vettel sat out a relatively meaningless first practice session for the Belgian Grand Prix in a bid to conserve engines.

Vettel's championship challenge was dealt a bitter double blow last weekend in Valencia at the European Grand Prix with two failures of his Red Bull's Renault powerplant.

In order to preserve engine life, and avoid a 10-place grid penalty should he use more than the permitted eight engines for the season, the team have decreed the German will now run less in practice.

It is far from ideal as it is certain to affect his opportunities of finding the perfect set-up.

But it is a chance he and they are willing to take as he only has two remaining for the final six races.

Arguably, Vettel, who did nothing more than conduct an installation lap, did not miss out in today's opening 90-minute run as rain dominated proceedings.

The forecast yesterday had suggested a mix of sunshine and light cloud, but this is the Ardennes, renowned for the capricious nature of its weather.

After 30 minutes the rain started to fall and did not relent until the closing moments, forcing times over the two-minute mark for the 4.5-mile circuit.

Despite the conditions there were only three minor incidents, one of whom unsurprisingly involved Luca Badoer, fresh from his hapless outing in Valencia.

The 38-year-old Italian, likely to be replaced after this weekend if he fails to show any significant improvement, went for a spin at the highest point of the track at Les Combs, but was at least able to continue.

The next casualty was Sebastien Buemi, the Swiss putting a wheel of his Toro Rosso on the kerb at Pouhon where he spun across the run-off area before gently nuzzling the nose into a barrier.

Credit to Buemi as he managed to keep the engine running, allowing him to return to the garage for a replacement.

Romain Grosjean, still getting to grips with his Renault after making his debut in Valencia, was another who spun late on, that at the chicane leading onto the start-finish straight.

As for the times, they were largely irrelevant, underlined by the fact eight seconds separated 10th-placed Badoer from Giancarlo Fisichella in 11th in his Force India.

That was a clear indicator of those who had taken to the track when it was dry early on, and those who had clocked a time in the wet.

For the record, Toyota's Jarno Trulli finished top with a time of one minute 49.675 seconds, followed by championship leader Jenson Button in his Brawn GP, with Renault's Fernando Alonso third.

Along with Vettel, reigning world champion Lewis Hamilton was the only other driver who failed to post a time, primarily putting his feet up other than conducting four installation laps in his McLaren.

Times
01 J. Trulli Toyota 1:49.675 12 laps
02 J. Button Brawn GP 1:50.283 17 laps
03 F. Alonso Renault 1:50.368 12 laps
04 S. Buemi Scuderia Toro Rosso 1:51.045 19 laps
05 J. Alguersuari Scuderia Toro Rosso 1:51.529 23 laps
06 R. Barrichello Brawn GP 1:52.321 18 laps
07 K. Räikkönen Ferrari 1:52.930 15 laps
08 H. Kovalainen McLaren 1:53.383 11 laps
09 R. Kubica BMW 1:53.650 11 laps
10 L. Badoer Ferrari 1:55.068 19 laps
11 G. Fisichella Force India F1 2:03.972 11 laps
12 N. Rosberg Williams 2:04.505 12 laps
13 R. Grosjean Renault 2:05.513 13 laps
14 N. Heidfeld BMW 2:05.614 13 laps
15 K. Nakajima Williams 2:05.705 15 laps
16 A. Sutil Force India F1 2:05.839 10 laps
17 M. Webber Red Bull 2:06.181 6 laps
18 T. Glock Toyota 2:06.331 laps
19 S. Vettel Red Bull no time 1 laps
20 L. Hamilton McLaren no time 4 laps

sky star 2

Super VIP
LEWIS HAMILTON FASTEST AT SPA

Lewis Hamilton's recent resurgence continued on his favourite track as the reigning world champion topped practice ahead of the Belgian Grand Prix on Sunday.

Thankfully, after the first session was disrupted by rain that fell steadily for an hour, the black clouds lifted for a dry run in the afternoon.

With virtually every driver running for around 30 laps, the lead changed hands several times during the 90 minutes before Hamilton emerged in front.

After his victory in Hungary and second on Sunday in Valencia at the European Grand Prix, the 24-year-old is poised for a podium finish for a third successive race.

Hamilton topped the timesheets in his McLaren with a lap of one minute 47.201 seconds around the renowned 4.5-mile Spa circuit.

The unpredictability of the track resulted in the top-six places being filled by drivers from six different teams.

Toyota's Timo Glock was a surprising second quickest given his team's woes of late, just 0.016secs behind Hamilton, with Kimi Raikkonen third in his Ferrari, a mere 0.084secs adrift.

The Finn, though, did finish the session by being helped off the track by marshals after running onto the grass at the right-hand Fagnes turn.

Red Bull's Mark Webber, Renault rookie Romain Grosjean and Force India's Giancarlo Fisichella completed the top six, followed by the second Toyota of Jarno Trulli.

Sebastian Vettel, who sat out the first session to preserve engines after blowing two Renault powerplants in Valencia, finished 10th, completing 25 laps.

Of possible concern to Brawn GP is their duo of championship leader Jenson Button and team-mate Rubens Barrichello were 17th and 18th, both just under a second behind Hamilton.

Brawn had expressed confidence earlier this week they had cracked the tyre issues that had affected their running in cooler climes.

But if the evidence of today is anything to go by, it would appear that is far from the case, unless the duo were sandbagging.

No prizes for guessing who propped up the standings as Luca Badoer finished two seconds behind Hamilton in his Ferrari.

The 38-year-old, knowing he must show significant improvement on his calamitous display in Valencia, even stopped the session early on.

However, it was hardly of his own doing as his car lost its left-front wheel fairing, depositing it on the racing line, forcing race director Charlie Whiting to halt proceedings temporarily whilst it was retrieved.

In the morning, the capricious nature of the Ardennes region took hold as sunshine had been forecast, only for the rain to render the first session virtually irrelevant.

It was underlined by the fact eight seconds separated 10th-placed Badoer from Fisichella.

That was a clear indicator of those who had taken to the track when it was dry early on, and those who had clocked a time in the wet.

For the record, Trulli finished top with a time of 1:49.675, followed by Button and Fernando Alonso in his Renault.

Like Vettel, Hamilton was the only other driver not to post a time, primarily putting his feet up other than for four installation laps.

Times
01 L. Hamilton McLaren 1:47.201 29 laps
2 T. Glock Toyota 1:47.217 29 laps
3 K. Räikkönen Ferrari 1:47.285 26 laps
4 M. Webber Red Bull 1:47.329 31 laps
5 R. Grosjean Renault 1:47.333 34 laps
6 G. Fisichella Force India F1 1:47.506 27 laps
7 J. Trulli Toyota 1:47.559 33 laps
8 R. Kubica BMW 1:47.578 33 laps
9 J. Alguersuari Scuderia Toro Rosso 1:47.579 36 laps
10 S. Vettel Red Bull 1:47.602 25 laps
11 S. Buemi Scuderia Toro Rosso 1:47.702 38 laps
12 H. Kovalainen McLaren 1:47.743 33 laps
13 A. Sutil Force India F1 1:47.790 29 laps
14 F. Alonso Renault 1:47.862 30 laps
15 K. Nakajima Williams 1:47.961 32 laps
16 N. Heidfeld BMW 1:48.017 30 laps
17 J. Button Brawn GP 1:48.125 34 laps
18 R. Barrichello Brawn GP 1:48.130 37 laps
19 N. Rosberg Williams 1:48.360 29 laps
20 L. Badoer Ferrari 1:49.211 30 laps

sky star 2

Super VIP
LABU DHABI TO STAGE DAY-NIGHT RACE

Formula One history will be created later this year with the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix to become the sport's first day-night race.

The start time for the inaugural event has been switched from 2pm to 5pm, and with sunset scheduled for 5.43pm, it will ensure the race starts in daylight and finishes at night.

Abu Dhabi Motorsports Management CEO Richard Cregan said: "The Yas Marina Circuit has been built from the outset to host day and night-time activities.

"Staging Formula One's first ever day-night race offers us the unique opportunity to demonstrate the circuit's in-built flexibility and state-of-the-art facilities.

"It has always been our intention to showcase to the world this spectacular venue, and this decision allows just that opportunity.

"It is the best of both worlds as spectators and television viewers will see the stunning architecture of the world's newest Formula One circuit during the afternoon sunlight and then experience what it is like under floodlights.

"We hope that everyone will be impressed by what they experience and see."

The system utilises the world's most advanced technology, with the 24 to 40-metre tall outfield floodlights providing horizontal lighting.

The smaller seven to 15-metre infield fixtures have a highly sophisticated vertical controllable beam designed specifically to provide a consistent daylight effect, as well as removing shadow and glare at driver level.

The lights will be on from the start of the race to ensure a seamless transition from daylight to dark.

sky star 2

Super VIP
HAMILTON HAS SCORE TO SETTLE AT SPA

Lewis Hamilton has a score to settle this weekend after being deprived last year of a Belgian Grand Prix victory he felt was his.

Hamilton stood on top of the podium and sprayed the race winner's champagne following a stunning, rain-hit end to the race at Spa.

The 24-year-old was involved in a thrilling duel with Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen that resulted in the Finn sliding off the track and into a wall on the final lap.

But it was the conclusion to the penultimate lap that caused the controversy as Hamilton was adjudged by stewards long after the race to have cut the final chicane.

It resulted in Hamilton being handed a retrospective 25-second drive-through penalty, demoting him from first to third which was upheld after an appeal by McLaren.

It is a case of unfinished business for Hamilton, who claimed top spot at the end of practice for Sunday's return.

"I definitely want to get that win here," said Hamilton, who was fourth in 2007.

"I felt like I won it last year, so it would feel good to get that win at one of my favourite circuits, one of the best in the world.

"There are certain races you look forward to in the year and this is one of them. It is a serious circuit, serious high speed.

"I have always said it is one of those circuits where you actually feel you are going somewhere as you go up through the woods as it is very long, but you do need a stable car.

"So I have to hope it is third time lucky. That's a good way for me to look at it, especially as we've come off two very good weekends.

"I always seem to go quite well here, even though this circuit is seriously high downforce.

"I don't think we have had the best, especially for the high-speed corners, but bit by bit we are making improvements and hopefully we can challenge for another podium."

Hamilton insists he has learned from the incident that unfolded, even if on reflection he feels he did nothing wrong.

In cutting the chicane he passed Raikkonen, and although he allowed the Finn by - as the rules stipulate - it was determined he had too much speed that allowed him to quickly regain the lead at the time.

"You learn that sometimes things happen," added Hamilton.

"You learn that if you are in a similar situation you really have to wait, maybe another lap just to be certain , and that if you do overtake again then you don't get caught."

Hamilton is in a different situation this year compared to last, an onlooker to the title race currently being played out rather than heavily involved as he has been the last two seasons.

With no McLarens or Ferraris involved in the championship chase, it is an unusual scenario for Formula One, with some observers feeling the fight this year lacks quality.

Hamilton can appreciate the sentiment, although feels with Jenson Button, Rubens Barrichello, Mark Webber and Sebastian Vettel in the fray, it is no less enthralling.

"I have grown up watching Formula One with guys like Kimi and Fernando (Alonso), top drivers at the front competing for world championships. That's what is exciting," addressed Hamilton.

"It would be great to see them there, but I think this year has been exciting to see another group of drivers at the front.

"Now you are seeing a real mix, and I think it is turning out to be an exciting season."

Hamilton is just delighted to be playing his part again, winning in Hungary and finishing second in Valencia, and looking the business again.

"It is good being back up there at the front as I am sure many people were questioning why people like myself, Kimi and Fernando were not there," added Hamilton.

"Was that because we are not good enough drivers? That is not the case.

"It's just that sometimes you don't have the package behind you to do the job.

"It just shows you that most of us are serious high-quality drivers and it shows you how competitive it is."

sky star 2

Super VIP
BUTTON WORRIES OVER PACE

Jenson Button fears suffering another dose of the qualifying blues on Saturday that could further undermine his Formula One world title hopes.

Button has struggled over one lap in the last four grands prix, and that has compromised his race, coming away with just 11 points in total from Britain, Germany, Hungary and Valencia.

Although Button is convinced the tyre temperature issues that have also plagued his Brawn GP recently have finally been resolved, the 29-year-old now has other concerns.

After finishing 17th in practice around the Spa circuit on Friday, just under a second off the pace set by Lewis Hamilton in his McLaren, a downbeat Button said: "I'm not 100% happy with the car at the moment.

"We definitely don't have a tyre temperature issue here. The tyres are working. They're very hot.

"I'm sure it's down to some of the things we've done to the car to help with that, but also the asphalt is quite abrasive.

"In fact, a lot of people are struggling in their long runs with overheating, so that is something to watch out for here.

"Overall our long-run pace is reasonably competitive, but we still have to work on our qualifying pace because we're not that strong over one lap.

"We're not on the pace of the Red Bulls and some of the other teams over one lap, whilst the balance of the car is also not great, so there is still a lot of work to do before we are competitive."

The likelihood is Button's lead over Mark Webber and Sebastian Vettel, currently 20.5 and 25 points respectively, will be eroded this weekend.

Button added: "This is the perfect circuit for a Red Bull car, so we have to hope we can be as close as possible and nibble some more points off them.

"Obviously, this circuit is fun to drive. I just have to hope our car is this weekend because the circuit is not the best for it, but we'll do the best job with what we have."

Team principal Ross Brawn has also conceded the team have plenty of work ahead of them if Button and team-mate Rubens Barrichello are to have any hope of challenging at the front.

"We're not experiencing any issues with tyre temperatures so far which is positive, and it's good to see our hard work in this area starting to pay dividends," assessed Brawn.

"But there is still some way to go to maximise the set-up of the car to the requirements of both drivers, so it will be a busy hour of practice on Saturday morning to get ready for qualifying."

sky star 2

Super VIP
PRESSURE ON BADOER

Luca Badoer knows he has to be quick this weekend, otherwise he will be out of a job with Ferrari after just two grands prix.

There are many critics who feel Badoer is fortunate to be driving in the Belgian Grand Prix following his abysmal display throughout the course of the European race in Valencia last weekend.

Standing in for the recuperating Felipe Massa, Badoer made several comical errors and was hopelessly off the pace.

Although the 38-year-old Italian again propped up the time sheets at the end of Friday's practice, the gap was not as yawning as in Spain as he finished two seconds behind McLaren's Lewis Hamilton.

Badoer, who has been a tester with Ferrari for the last 12 years, now has just two days to drastically improve or face the consequences.

"Last weekend was very hard for me," he said.

"There were too many new things to learn - the track, the car, the new Formula One. It was really a very, very difficult situation.

"It was still very good for me - because on Friday, Saturday and Sunday I learnt a lot of things.

"I have better confidence with the car; I know which direction to take for my driving style and set-up, and I have more confidence and feeling with F1.

"But I know I have to be quick, reasonably quick, as much as I can be. This is a race now."

Badoer completed 30 laps of the Spa circuit - and although he is slowly beginning to find pace, it may not be enough for team boss Stefano Domenicali and president Luca di Montezemolo.

Badoer concedes there are still issues to conquer if he is to make his target of qualifying for the top 15.

"In the wet (on Friday morning) I was reasonably happy with my performance, even if I would have preferred to have run all the time in the dry to increase my understanding of the car," added Badoer.

"In the afternoon we made some modifications to the set-up, but I still haven't managed to find the ideal settings for my driving style.

"It meant I didn't have the right feel for the car to attack all the corners.

"We still have a (practice) session available to us to work on the car, with my aim for qualifying very simple - to make the cut at the end of Q1."

sky star 2

Super VIP
FISICHELLA SPRINGS SPA SHOCK

Force India's Giancarlo Fisichella claimed pole position for Sunday's Belgian Grand Prix at Spa during a qualifying session full of surprises.

World Championship leader Jenson Button failed to make the top-10 shoot-out for the first time this season and the 29-year-old down in a miserable season-low 14th in his Brawn.

The best qualifier of the title contenders is Rubens Barrichello, fourth for Brawn.

Toyota's Jarno Trulli will be second on the grid, with BMW's Nick Heidfeld in third.

Fisichella - the man being touted to replace the hapless Luca Badoer at Ferrari - gave Force India their first F1 pole, although it remains to be seen how much fuel is in the car.

Fisichella, whose previous best grid slot this year was 13th, was unable to explain his performance.

"Pole position is amazing, fantastic,'' remarked the 36-year-old.

"I'm so happy and thanks to the team who have done a great job. It's a remarkable result.

"I've shown what I can do. This is one of my favourite circuits, but I didn't expect to be on pole, in particular considering the budget of our team.''

It is the veteran Italian's fourth pole of his career, and his first since Malaysia in 2006.

Force India are now on course to score their first point as they have yet to break their duck in 29 races since entering the sport.

The second BMW Sauber of Robert Kubica will start from fifth on the grid. Behind the Pole comes Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen, Timo Glock in his Toyota, and then the Red Bull duo of Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber in eighth and ninth, with Williams' Nico Rosberg 10th.

The 15-minute middle session was not just a disaster for Button, but also for the McLaren duo of reigning world champion Lewis Hamilton and Heikki Kovalainen.

After victory in Hungary and starting on pole last weekend for the European Grand Prix in Valencia, it was a return to McLaren's poor form from earlier in the year.

Hamilton starts 12th, with his car struggling in the twisty middle section of the track, whilst Kovalainen is 15th, his second worst qualifying display this season.

The McLarens were both beaten by Force India's Adrian Sutil, who occupies 11th on the grid, with Renault's Fernando Alonso another big-name casualty in Q2 as the double world champion starts 13th.

As for Badoer, he can consider himself out of a job following Sunday's race in the wake of another abysmal performance.

The 38-year-old replacement for the recuperating Felipe Massa will again start at the back of the grid, as he did last weekend on his Ferrari debut in Valencia.

Badoer ended the opening 20-minute Q1 in disgrace by breaking the rear suspension of his car in careering backwards into a tyre wall after passing Vettel on the approach to Les Combes.

Ahead of the Italian, likely to be replaced by Fisichella who was remarkably fastest at the end of Q1, the Toro Rossos of Sebastien Buemi and Jaime Alguersuari start 16th and 17th.

Williams' Kazuki Nakajima is down in 18th, both the team's and the Japanese driver's worst grid position of the year, with Renault's Romain Grosjean also struggling on his second outing as he is 19th.

Button offered a simple explanation for his poor display, conceding he "wasn't fast enough".

He added: "It is pretty disastrous for tomorrow really. It's going to make it very difficult.

"I didn't have any pace on the soft tyres and every time I hit the brakes, the rear would move. I did not have any confidence in the rear end.

"It's strange to be four or five tenths (of a second) off Rubens. Our cars are different, but they are not that different.''

Looking at his position, Hamilton remarked: "I went into qualifying nervous as hell. I didn't know where we were going to be.

"We knew we didn't have the downforce of the others. I'm losing so much time in the middle sector. There was nothing I could do, I was on the ragged edge.

"But we can have a little bit of fun with Kers from down there.''

sky star 2

Super VIP
BUTTON FEELS FRUSTRATED

The frustration within Jenson Button is starting to build in the wake of his worst qualifying performance of the season.

Championship leader Button will start a dismal 14th for Sunday's Belgian Grand Prix, 10 places adrift of Brawn GP team-mate Rubens Barrichello.

After conceding eight points to Barrichello last weekend following the Brazilian's victory in the European Grand Prix in Valencia, it is conceivable his 18-point lead could be down to a single digit by the end of the 44-lap race around Spa.

In what was an extraordinary qualifying hour, Giancarlo Fisichella gave Force India their first pole position, with Jarno Trulli in his Toyota second on the grid and BMW Sauber's Nick Heidfeld third.

Despite such a topsy-turvy grid, Button faces a fight just to make it into the top eight, and seemingly a real struggle for the rest of the season to realise his dream of becoming world champion.

He said: "It wasn't a good qualifying. I'm struggling on the option (soft) tyre, I have a loose rear end, a lot of understeer, and I don't have any grip.

"It (the car) just doesn't feel very good. The car doesn't feel to me like it did at the beginning of the season which is going to make tomorrow a tough day.

"Starting from 14th, nothing matters except points for me. We have to do something a bit different to everyone else that will help me get points because I think the race pace is okay.

"I can't hang back and just hope for the best. We've got to be aggressive."

Button's feel with the car is in stark contrast to Barrichello who is now happy, although the 36-year-old is on the lightest fuel load of the top 10.

Button added: "I lost eight points to Rubens at the last race, which was frustrating.

"Here I don't have the pace, he is starting fourth and I'm outside the top 10, so even if the positions stay as they are he is going to gain a lot of points on me here.

"It's a lead that's going to disappear very quickly if I keep having bad weekends, but at the moment I can't do anything about it.

"It's not a good position to be in. I may be leading by quite a bit, but with a couple of bad races that will be it.

"It's just so frustrating, but there is no use thinking about it too much. All we can do is try to improve the situation."

Despite the pressure increasing on Button, he has no doubts about his ability providing he has the right car beneath him.

He added: "I've won six races - the only person to have won more than two.

"But at the moment I can't get the pace out of the car for some reason, which is something we need to look at.

"We've a couple of weeks before Monza and hopefully we can find out the reasons."

Although Barrichello is in a position to eat into Button's lead, the unlikely trio ahead of him are there on merit given the fuel loads.

However, it is Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen starting from sixth who is arguably race favourite given he has the power boost provided by KERS on board his car.

Barrichello said: "At the beginning Jenson did well, and although I wasn't doing badly, I couldn't extract the best from the car in the final period of qualifying.

"But we got together and we found out what was missing, and we are now getting the best out of it.

"There's now a lot to be gained tomorrow, but I've still got my feet on the ground, although I don't know what to expect from the guys at the front.

"Fourth on the grid is a plus, and with the car good on the long run, I'm looking forward to the race.

"I can also feel my title challenge beginning to come alive, and I've another chance tomorrow to take points from Jenson."

The other title challengers - Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber - start eighth and ninth, with reigning world champion Lewis Hamilton 12th in his McLaren.

Unsurprisingly, Luca Badoer is again at the back of the grid in his Ferrari, which he crashed backwards into a wall at the end of Q1.

sky star 2

Super VIP
POLE CAN HELP TEAM - FISICHELLA

Three thirty-something drivers and three teams facing uncertain futures helped conjure one of the most extraordinary qualifying hours ever witnessed in Formula One.

Unexpected and unusual were just some of the words being used to describe Sunday's Belgian Grand Prix grid, at the head of which sits the Force India of Giancarlo Fisichella.

Bearing in mind Fisichella's previous best grid slot this year was 13th, and the team's highest seventh courtesy of Adrian Sutil, the sight of the veteran on pole - ahead of Toyota's Jarno Trulli and BMW's Nick Heidfeld - is altogether bizarre.

But then Fisichella is a man chasing a drive with Ferrari as the 36-year-old is hoping to take up the seat from the hopeless Luca Badoer for the next race on home soil in Italy.

As for Force India, they are a team rumoured to be in financial trouble and apparently desperately looking for outside investment.

Fisichella was certainly unable to explain the fourth pole of his career, and first since the Malaysian Grand Prix in 2006 when he was with Renault.

"There are a lot of rumours, but to be on pole, I hope it helps (the team)," remarked Fisichella.

"Our budget is limited compared to the other teams, but we are doing well and there are no problems.

"As for my future, it's too early to say. I've not had any contact with any other team, and I've had no talks with Force India about next year.

"So today is something good for the future because I want to still be a Formula One driver, but I need a car to be competitive, like today."

Fisichella insists he is far from in the Ferrari seat yet, despite many believing it is already a done deal.

"So far it is still a dream, but considering today's result I need to think about whether they are going to call me," joked a man due to start his 224th grand prix tomorrow.

"But I'm just concentrated on my season with Force India and the race. I don't want to think about the next race and whether I am there (at Ferrari) or with Force India.

"I've a contract with Force India. I don't have a contract with Ferrari."

Speculation, meanwhile, is also rife Toyota are due to slash their budget for next year and that 35-year-old Trulli is out of a drive.

As the Japanese team are still searching for their first F1 victory after nearly eight years in the sport, they also have their reasons to look good.

"A win would help everyone in the team and for a decision for next year," remarked Trulli.

"So far I'm not aware of what's going on with Toyota, but they are keen to stay, although no decision has been made on the budget.

"But we definitely need a good result. Members of the team have families and they need a job for next year, so I will go for it tomorrow."

As for 32-year-old Heidfeld, he is also potentially out of a job next year in the wake of BMW's announcement last month they are withdrawing from F1 at the end of the year.

"It's always important to produce a good performance, and people only really look at you in that moment," said Heidfeld.

"But I'm very confident for next season. I was in talks with other teams before BMW decided to pull out.

"But I hope, more than anything, this result helps the team survive for next season.

"Although BMW have pulled out, it doesn't mean the Sauber guys in Hinwil (Switzerland) will stop.

"We're all working very hard to secure a future for them."

sky star 2

Super VIP
HAMILTON ADMITS TO NERVES

Lewis Hamilton has admitted to being "nervous as hell" ahead of a bizarre qualifying session that has left him scrabbling for points in Sunday's Belgian Grand Prix.

After victory in Hungary last month and second in Valencia where he started from pole last weekend, it was a case of back down to earth for Hamilton who is 12th on the grid at Spa.

The reigning world champion barely made it into the middle period of qualifying that ultimately culminated in the unique sight of a Force India on pole for the first time via Giancarlo Fisichella.

Hamilton's car, although brilliant in the first and third sectors of the 4.5-mile track, was losing as much as a second in the more twisty middle part, resulting in his lowly grid slot.

"I went into qualifying nervous as hell. I didn't know where we were going to be," said the 24-year-old Hamilton.

"In the end we did the best job we could today because we knew the car would struggle in the mid-sector corners, but there was nothing I could do. I was on the ragged edge.

"Being a second down in that sector shows the true downforce level of our car, that we don't have the same as the others.

"But then we expected we wouldn't have as good an aero package as some of the others, we just didn't know to what extent. I guess today we found out."

With the aid of the power boost provided by KERS, however, Hamilton feels he can finish in the top eight.

"We can have a little bit of fun with KERS from down there, so I'm not too disappointed," added Hamilton.

"This year has been a rollercoaster ride for everyone, but I'm still enjoying it and I love driving this track.

"My plan for tomorrow now is a points finish."

sky star 2

Super VIP
LOM SORRY FOR ENGINE WOES

Renault have apologised to Red Bull's Mark Webber for the latest engine failure to undermine the team's title hopes.

After the powerplant twice blew on Sebastian Vettel over the course of last weekend's European Grand Prix in Valencia, Webber was the latest to suffer on Saturday.

An electrical fault early in final practice left Webber kicking his heels throughout the hour and forced the team into an engine change ahead of qualifying.

With no running going into the session, Webber did a creditable job and will start ninth, one place behind Vettel, but crucially five ahead of championship leader Jenson Button.

Fabrice Lom, Renault's principal engineer working with Red Bull, appreciates the French manufacturers are not doing a good enough job for the Milton Keynes-based team.

"Again, a bad day," said Lom.

"We apologise to Mark for the electrical problem that we had on his engine. It really seems we've a black cloud hanging over our heads at the moment.

"I can only assure Red Bull and the people that want to beat us that we will never give up, and when this black cloud lifts, we will fight like hell."

Webber and Vettel will now be hoping to enjoy a trouble-free race on Sunday as they look to make inroads into Button's lead.

Ahead of them they face an unusual battle with Giancarlo Fisichella on pole for the first time with Force India, Toyota's Timo Glock in second and Nick Heidfeld in third for BMW Sauber.

"That was a strange session, and we expected to be more competitive than that," assessed Webber, who trails Button by 20.5 points.

"But a lot of the guys were too quick for us, and it shows you just never know in this game. It should be an interesting race tomorrow."

As for Vettel, 25 points adrift of Button, he said: "It was quite an interesting session, and obviously not the best for us.

"Eighth and ninth will be tough tomorrow on the grid."

sky star 2

Super VIP
HEIDFELD QUICKEST IN FINAL PRACTICE

The final practice session for the Belgian Grand Prix conjured up a remarkable leaderboard, with BMW Sauber's Nick Heidfeld topping the timesheets.

Behind the German came Toyota's Jarno Trulli, Adrian Sutil in his Force India and the Renault of Romain Grosjean as the traditional standings were turned on their head at the Spa circuit.

It was Sutil who was out in front for a lengthy period, and by an astonishing half a second, until deposed from top spot late on by Heidfeld, potentially out of a job at the end of the season given his team's decision to pull out of Formula One.

The 32-year-old set a time of one minute 45.388 seconds, with the 35-year-old Trulli just 0.074secs adrift, leaving Sutil to settle for his time of 1:45.677.

Grosjean, who crunched a kerb in the dying stages that forced him wide onto the grass, was almost half a second down, followed by Toyota's Timo Glock and the second BMW Sauber of Robert Kubica.

Williams' Nico Rosberg was seventh and Giancarlo Fisichella eighth in his Force India, the latter requiring a new nose after hitting an as yet unidentified animal early in the hour-long session.

Reigning world champion Lewis Hamilton, fastest on Friday with a lap of 1:47.201, was the first of what many would consider to be the front-runners for victory on Sunday - he was down in ninth for McLaren.

Hamilton was quickest in the first and third sectors, yet due to losing a considerable amount of time in the twisty middle section finished just over 0.9secs behind Heidfeld.

Championship leader Jenson Button was an improved 10th in his Brawn GP, with Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen 11th, that after an early trundle across the gravel.

With his engine revs turned down, Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel was down in 14th, 1.359secs off the pace, with last week's European Grand Prix winner Rubens Barrichello down in 16th.

After Vettel's engine woes in Valencia, when he blew two Renault powerplants, team-mate Mark Webber was the latest to suffer.

The Australian failed to set a time due to engine trouble, with the team now facing a race against time to fit a new one ahead of the qualifying session later in the day.

Of the 19 who did set a lap time, Luca Badoer was not last in his Ferrari on this occasion, finishing 18th, narrowly ahead of Kazuki Nakajima for Williams.

Times:
01 N. Heidfeld BMW 1:45.388 17 laps
02 J. Trulli Toyota 1:45.462 18 laps
03 A. Sutil Force India F1 1:45.677 20 laps
04 R. Grosjean Renault 1:45.878 18 laps
05 T. Glock Toyota 1:45.908 18 laps
06 R. Kubica BMW 1:45.987 18 laps
07 N. Rosberg Williams 1:46.040 19 laps
08 G. Fisichella Force India F1 1:46.114 21 laps
09 L. Hamilton McLaren 1:46.301 17 laps
10 J. Button Brawn GP 1:46.406 20 laps
11 K. Räikkönen Ferrari 1:46.409 19 laps
12 S. Buemi Scuderia Toro Rosso 1:46.417 19 laps
13 H. Kovalainen McLaren 1:46.462 17 laps
14 S. Vettel Red Bull 1:46.747 14 laps
15 J. Alguersuari Scuderia Toro Rosso 1:46.814 22 laps
16 R. Barrichello Brawn GP 1:46.815 19 laps
17 F. Alonso Renault 1:46.926 14 laps
18 L. Badoer Ferrari 1:47.055 20 laps
19 K. Nakajima Williams 1:47.078 19 laps
20 M. Webber Red Bull no time 3 laps

sky star 2

Super VIP
CANADA ON PROVISIONAL CALENDAR

The Canadian Grand Prix is provisionally scheduled to return to the Formula One calendar next season.

The 2010 dates have been circulated to the teams, with the Montreal event currently set for June 6, although the calendar is not due to be confirmed until October.

The Canadian race, along with the British Grand Prix at Donington Park, are still only speculative at present given the doubts that surround them.

Canada missed out this year for financial reasons, and while talks are ongoing with F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone, there are no guarantees.

The British round currently has a July 11 slot, the same day as football's World Cup final. However, it remains unclear whether the track will be ready in time due to ongoing construction.

Silverstone, who seemingly staged their last British race in July, have announced they are ready to step in should Donington Park fail to meet their obligations.

On the 18-race schedule, Bahrain will now host the season opener on March 14, with Australia second on the list for time-zone reasons.

The Melbourne race became a twilight event this year, starting at 5pm local time and 7am in the UK.

With the clocks Down Under and at home changing in late March, the 28th of that month is ideal for broadcasting purposes across Europe.

Other changes see Turkey moved from June to late April; Valencia switched from the searing heat of August to late June, with China now mid-September after being run in April this year.

Provisional calendar:

Mar 14 - Bahrain (Sakhir)

Mar 28 - Australia (Melbourne)

Apr 4 - Malaysia (Sepang)

Apr 25 - Turkey (Istanbul)

May 9 - Spain (Barcelona)

May 23 - Monaco (Monte Carlo)

Jun 6 - Canada (Montreal)

Jun 27 - Europe (Valencia)

Jul 11 - Great Britain (Donington Park)

Jul 25 - Germany (Hockenheim)

Aug 1 - Hungary (Budapest)