EXCLUSIVE Football News

McFLY

Registered
Blues: Save our supporters

CHELSEA and Tottenham chiefs will hold high-level talks today amid fears for the safety of supporters who travel to Europe.

The Blues visit Valencia on Tuesday, just five days after Spurs’ trip to Seville turned ugly.

Stamford Bridge security staff will speak to Tottenham bosses following crowd trouble at their UEFA Cup tie in Spain on Thursday.

Fans were beaten by riot police and Chelsea fear a repeat for their Champions League quarter-final, second leg in the same country.

Manchester United supporters were also charged by baton-wielding Italian cops on Wednesday.

Around 2,000 Blues fans have tickets for the Mestalla clash but hundreds more are expected to turn up without any.

Now Chelsea, who host Tottenham today, are afraid the ageing stadium and atmosphere created by incidents this week could have a knock-on effect.

Security for the team is expected to be increased.

Spurs secretary John Alexander defended the club’s fans who travelled to Seville and accused the Spanish police of hitting a disabled supporter.

He said: “We need to understand how we had two clearly identifiable Spurs stewards assaulted by the Spanish police, along with our disability co-ordinator being injured too.

“There was one disabled fan who was hit with a baton with such force it knocked him out of his wheelchair.”

McFLY

Registered
Ferguson in Spurs moan

ALEX FERGUSON has slammed the Premier League for sacrificing a tired Tottenham to Chelsea this lunchtime.

The Manchester United boss is angry Spurs have to play at 12.45pm at Stamford Bridge — barely 39 hours after their UEFA Cup defeat in Seville.

And he has accused Chelsea of holding too much sway with the Premier League.

Ferguson said: “Given the power Chelsea seem to have over issues like this I am not surprised.

“I am just surprised Spurs have allowed it to happen. If they lose — and lose out on a European place because of it — I don’t imagine they will be very happy.

“It is the Tottenham supporters I feel sorry for. They have travelled to see them play in Seville and now their team is asked to play again so quickly.

“If the game had been played on Sunday lunchtime, Chelsea would still have had over two days to prepare. As it is, Tottenham get 36 hours. What is the right decision?

“It seems the Premier League are quite happy to give Chelsea the extra time but not Tottenham.”

Chelsea will be hoping to put a bit of extra pressure on United by closing the gap to three points. Fergie’s men then take on Portsmouth at Fratton Park in the 5.15pm kick-off.

McFLY

Registered
Riise: Fear drives us to glory

APRIL 07, 2007

JOHN ARNE RIISE admits Liverpool’s charge for glory is fuelled by fear.

The Reds have all but sealed a place in the Champions League semi-finals after their 3-0 first-leg victory over PSV Eindhoven in Holland on Tuesday.

Yet Riise, who scored with a trademark long-range blockbuster in that game, revealed there will be no slacking in the Premiership — because everyone believes they are playing for their future.

At best, Liverpool — who travel to Reading today — are hoping to hold on to third place ahead of Arsenal. But boss Rafa Benitez will be given cash to spend by the club’s new American owners this summer.

Riise said: “You never know what the manager is going to do from one game to the next — that keeps everyone on their toes.

“But because the new owners are here too, that’s going to make everyone work hard to impress them as well.

“You never know what’s going to happen and how many players will come in during the summer.

“We always work hard at Liverpool but there are exciting times ahead and everyone wants to be a part of that.

“The new owners came to Melwood last Sunday to watch us train and they seem like good people.

“We’re getting good feelings in Europe again but now is the time to be professional and to continue our form in the Premiership. Reading is a game which is also very important to us.”

Riise has hit his best form of the season.

His wonder goal against PSV followed his vital strike in Barcelona in the previous round.

McFLY

Registered
Terry rips into Andorra referee

April 07, 2007

JOHN TERRY will deliver a rabble-rousing speech to Chelsea’s title-chasers today — having given the referee a dressing down in his last England game.

The England skipper let rip at bewildered ref Bruno Paixao at half-time in the Euro 2008 qualifier against Andorra last week.

Angry JT blasted the official’s performance and demanded he clamp down on the Andorrans’ physical tactics and gamesmanship in Barcelona.

Terry, 26, also dragged Andorra’s skipper Justo Ruiz into the meeting.

England went on to win 3-0 after being booed off at half-time by 10,000 travelling fans as they struggled to break through the minnows.

But even after the game, Terry refused to let any of the England stars swap shirts with Andorra’s players in protest at the opposition’s bruising style.

An England source revealed: “John never said a word to anyone that he was going to do it, it just happened.

“He hasn’t said anything about it since either and it’s perhaps best left that way.”

Terry returned to the England dressing room in time to blast his own players for slacking and demanded a vast improvement against the Euro whipping boys.

The defender will insist upon a similar show of strength from Chelsea today in the must-win blockbuster at home to Spurs.

Time is running out for Chelsea to close the six-point gap on Premiership leaders Manchester United with only seven games left to play.

Tottenham have come the closest of any team to wrecking Chelsea’s dreams of a Carling Cup, FA Cup, Premiership and Champions League Quad.

Spurs were 3-1 up in last month’s FA Cup quarter-final at Stamford Bridge before the Blues earned and won a replay.

Tottenham winger Aaron Lennon, who scored the winner in the 2-1 White Hart Lane win over Chelsea in November, said: “We owe them one.

“We came so close to being the first team to beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge under Jose Mourinho and they know it.”

McFLY

Registered
More of today's football stories

April 07, 2007

ARSENE WENGER has insisted Arsenal do not need a billionaire investor to make them successful, writes IAN McGARRY.

The Gunners boss reacted to news that American tycoon Stan Kroenke bought 10 per cent of the club on Thursday by claiming his current squad will challenge for honours next season.

Wenger said: "At the moment, Kroenke has said he does not want to buy the club, he wants just a partnership.

"The temptation is always there to have a lot of money to spend but I’m more concerned about developing the young players. Next year will be a decisive year for us to fight for the championship.

"At the moment, I don’t think the club needs a big investment. I believe it will work.

"It’s important Arsenal maintains its values. The values are a bit of human class, distinction, respect for people and ambition to have a certain class in what you do."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LUCAS RADEBE insists Leeds are heading for the scrapheap — because they have no heart, writes GARY PAYNE.

The Elland Road legend reckons the third-from-bottom club are doomed for League One.

Radebe, 36, said: "Leeds are a big part of my life, of my career.

"But to see what's going on at the club, it’s very sad and the fall has been very quick.

"I live there and I still go and train with the club.

"But to go there and see the morale being so down, it’s like a morgue.

"The heart of Leeds needs to come back."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PRESTON boss Paul Simpson feels David Nugent has hit a brick wall since he stormed on to the England stage.

The North End striker has drawn a blank in two club games since he marked his Three Lions debut with a goal against Andorra.

Simpson fears Nugent may have worn himself out so has given him a couple of days rest ahead of today’s Crystal Palace trip.

He said: "He’s come back and hit a brick wall.

"That happens — suddenly all the adrenaline stops running through your body and you have a bit of a low."

ROBERT KOREN has revealed that ‘Mr Bean’ is crucial to West Brom’s promotion hopes.

Albion players, who tackle Stoke today, have nicknamed winger Zoltan Gera after Rowan Atkinson’s comic character.

Midfielder Koren said: "Zoltan is a very funny guy. He’s always doing funny things like Mr Bean.

"He makes you laugh all day and that is brilliant for all of the team.

"But, in all seriousness, Zoltan is a great player and really important for us.

"We need to go on another winning run and hope we can win all our final six games."

MARK ROBINS was named manager of League One strugglers Rotherham and vowed: The only way is up.

Former youth coach Robins, 37, has been handed a one-year rolling contract by the club, who are nine points adrift of safety.

Robins was a prolific striker for the Millers between 2000 and 2003.

And he said: "I want the club back to where it was when I was a player here and in the Championship.

"There’s no reason why we can’t reach those heights again."

Robins steered the side to three wins in six games as caretaker after Alan Knill’s sacking on March 1.

McFLY

Registered
Roo's got monkey off his back

April 07, 2007

WAYNE ROONEY has got the monkey off his back.

Now the Manchester United striker is ready to make a chimp out of defences at home and abroad for the rest of the season.

Rooney’s stunning strike against Roma on Wednesday was his first in the Champions League since a debut hat-trick against Fenerbahce 2½ years ago.

It came just a week after he drew a blank for England against Andorra, stretching his run without a competitive international goal which goes back to Euro 2004.

And team-mate Rio Ferdinand believes the relief will help drive Rooney on as Alex Ferguson’s side chase the Treble.

Ferdinand said: “I think it’s a monkey off his back a little bit.

“Everyone’s been going on about him not scoring in Europe a lot.

“When you have a player with Wayne’s ability, people will be asking questions if he hasn’t scored for a couple of games.

“I was just happy he got a goal and now he can continue to do what he’s doing.”

Ferdinand believes England’s problems have painted an unrealistic picture of Rooney’s recent form.

The defender added: “It makes me laugh because we go away with England and everyone is showering him with comments and saying he’s this, he’s that, he’s brilliant.

“Then we come back from England and he’s on a downer and got no confidence. I don’t understand it.

“People sometimes need to take a step back from the situation and have a look at it.

“He’s been doing well for us. People say he has been hot and cold. When? You tell me.

“If he was playing rubbish and not scoring goals, it would be a problem. But he’s not been playing rubbish.”

Rooney’s goal in Rome was set up by another barnstorming run from Cristiano Ronaldo.

And Ryan Giggs is convinced the form of Rooney and Ronaldo is an ominous sign for Ports-mouth today, Roma in Tuesday’s second leg and Watford in next Saturday’s FA Cup semi-final.

The Welshman said: “Wayne and Cristiano have been playing well.

“In the Premiership, they have been scoring consistently all season. But there has been talk of them scoring more goals in Europe and Wayne will be relieved.”

Ferguson was also full of praise for Rooney yesterday.

The United boss said: “The lad has scored 17 goals this season. How many other 21-year-olds in Europe have done that?

“His work-rate on Wednesday was absolutely terrific. He and Cristiano Ronaldo are on fire. Their performances were among the positives we took out of the game.”

United stayed over in Rome and travelled to Portsmouth yesterday ahead of today’s game.

Fergie said: “It means we have been able to relax a little bit and then fly into Southampton.

“We have given ourselves the best chance of getting a result at Portsmouth — which is the most important thing. We have the league title uppermost in our thoughts.

“It is not easy coming out of a European game. But that is why we have stayed in Rome, to give ourselves the best preparation possible.”

Giggs continues as stand-in captain with Gary Neville injured. And the winger is relishing having something to fight for going into the last month of the season.

This time last year, United had won the Carling Cup but were already out of the title race, the Champions League and the FA Cup.

Giggs said: “Over the last couple of years nothing has really happened in the last four or five weeks of the season.

“It’s really exciting this time to be involved in three trophies.

“I am enjoying it and if we keep playing like we have done all season, we’ll have a great chance of winning some silverware.”

Louis Saha is set for his first start since February at Fratton Park tonight.

And the injury-hit French striker is desperate to make up for lost time as United bid to maintain a six-point lead over rivals Chelsea.

Saha said: “I’ve missed quite a few games this year and I’ve got so much pent-up energy I want to get out of my system.

“I feel like I’ve got something to prove again but I don’t think I could be any fresher.

“I’m raring to go, I’m confident and I want to be back playing and scoring goals.

“But it’s not about me, it’s about the team winning games — and hopefully winning the title.”

McFLY

Registered
'Untouchable' Ballack dropped

April 07, 2007

MICHAEL BALLACK has been dropped for Chelsea’s crucial match with Spurs today.

The Germany captain is the target of criticism from fans, who do not believe his displays merit a place in the team.

Jose Mourinho previously defended the midfielder, who is paid £121,000 a week.

Boss Mourinho had made it clear earlier this season that Ballack was one of his “untouchables”.

He changed his opinion yesterday, however, though it remains likely he will return for the Champions League match against Valencia on Tuesday.

Jol hopes Blues rest stars

MARTIN JOL believes Chelsea are more intent on reaching the Champions League semi-finals than winning the Premiership.

The Spurs boss hauls his battle-weary squad to Stamford Bridge for their third game inside a week.

But Jol, who will make at least five changes from the side that

lost 2-1 in Seville, said: “Chelsea have to win next week against Valencia so maybe they will leave three or four players out.

“The Champions League is probably the most important thing for them now as I think they have to win all their games if they want to win the title.”

McFLY

Registered
United slip up at Pompey

United slip up at Pompey

Portsmouth did Chelsea an enormous favour in the race for the Premiership title as they battled to a 2-1 victory over Manchester United.

An Edwin van der Sar error allowed Matthew Taylor to open the scoring on the half hour mark, and United could not repeat their comeback from last week as Pompey held on for victory.

In a thrilling finale Rio Ferdinand scored an own goal to apparently make the points safe for Portsmouth, before John O'Shea struck in stoppage time to set up one last, desperate rally from United

The result leaves United three points ahead of Chelsea with six games of the season remaining, and the two still have to meet at Stamford Bridge

Portsmouth were determined not to let Manchester United settle in the early stages and some crunching challenges helped to disrupt the Premiership leaders' usual passing rhythm.

With Ryan Giggs starting on the bench United were missing a vital spark, as Kieran Richardson and Darren Fletcher were unable to exert any pressure on Pompey.

Cristiano Ronaldo slammed a powerful free-kick just a foot wide from almost 35 yards, but there was an audible buzz around Fratton Park as the home side fought hard.

Pompey took the lead after 30 minutes as Van der Sar parried Benjani Mwaruwari's long-range effort straight out and Taylor shrugged off the attentions of Ferdinand to reach the rebound first and poke home from eight yards.

Michael Carrick had an immediate chance to draw United level but fired wide from the edge of the area, before Lauren produced a fine tackle when Ronaldo was poised to shoot.

A defensive mix-up at the other end almost gave Taylor a second on the stroke of half-time, but Van der Sar raced off his line to block his shot after neither Wes Brown or O'Shea had taken responsibility for the initial clearance.

United poured forward in pursuit of an equaliser as the second half began, with Giggs brought on for Richardson and Fletcher soon making way for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

However, Portsmouth were almost gifted another goal on a rare foray forward as Van der Sar again had problems with a head-high effort from Benjani - although on this occasion United were first to the loose ball.

David James showed his athleticism with a superb save to deny Ronaldo, diving to his right to tip the winger's clever flick to safety, and then made a second excellent stop moments later as he instinctively stuck out an arm to parry Giggs' ferocious strike from the edge of the area.

James was also called into action to keep out Brown's header, but the goalkeeper's heroics were matched by one of his centre-backs as Linvoy Primus sprinted back to dispossess Wayne Rooney with a match-saving challenge.

Pompey weathered the storm and had a good spell of pressure themselves midway through the second half, when Van der Sar made amends for his earlier gaffe with an acrobatic save. Taylor's cross was turned towards the bottom right corner by Sean Davis but, leaping full-stretch to his left, the Dutchman palmed the ball behind for a corner.

Alan Smith was brought on for a final push but United fell 2-0 behind with two minutes remaining as Ferdinand's attempted pass-back went straight into his own net following a breakdown in communications with Van der Sar.

United pulled one back as James spilled Solksjaer's low shot and O'Shea tucked away the rebound, but there was not enough time to force an equaliser.

Smith almost salvaged a point for United with a volley through a crowded penalty area but, on a mixed day for both keepers, James made one final save to clinch the points for Pompey.

McFLY

Registered
Raul To Kop

RAUL TO KOP

LIVERPOOL are set to make a sensational swoop for Real Madrid legend Raul.

Rafael Benitez has been tipped off Real's skipper will be sold at a cut-price £5million at the end of the season.

And the Kop boss is in pole position to snap up the striker, who has been revered by Bernabeu fans for the last seven years.

Raul, 29, was a regular visitor to Anfield last season to watch close friend Fernando Morientes in action.

He developed a rapport with Benitez, whom he also knew when the Anfield chief was second-team coach at Real.

A Madrid source revealed: "Real president Ramon Calderon is starting to think it is time to overhaul the squad and bring in younger and fresher players."

Raul's agent, Gines Carvajal, declared: "If he leaves Real his destination would be easy to choose. It would be England."

Benitez would also like Barcelona hitman Samuel Eto'o but fears he may not be able to afford the Cameroon star.

McFLY

Registered
Mourinho baits Man Utd over title

Mourinho baits Man Utd over title

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has taunted Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson by claiming United are "lucky" not to be playing the Blues next week.

Chelsea cut United's lead at the top of the Premiership to three points at the weekend after beating Tottenham, while United lost to Portsmouth.

Mourinho said: "United are very lucky they don't have to play here next week. Can you imagine them here next weekend?

"That's the game where they will slip up, against us, so they're very lucky."

The Premiership champions face relegation-threatened West Ham on 18 April, while United's next game is at home to struggling Sheffield United.

And the top two go head-to-head at Stamford Bridge in the penultimate game of the season in a match which may decide the destination of the title.

Before this weekend's games Ferguson had bemoaned Tottenham getting just 36 hours recovery time from their Uefa Cup quarter-final in Seville.

But Mourinho said: "I was not surprised Ferguson complained about our fixture because he is intelligent and maybe he thinks other people are stupid.

"But the truth is United are very, very lucky with the fixtures because, until now, they have always played before us."

Mourinho added: "Ferguson is an intelligent man, a successful man with a great career.

"But when you think other people are stupid it is not a good quality."

Ferguson though, believes Chelsea have the more difficult run-in and is confident the Blues will slip up in their remaining six fixtures.

He said: "Chelsea have a lot of tough games coming up so someone will make them suffer. It is hard to believe they will go six games without that happening.

"We are still three points ahead and if I was given that option at the start of the season I would have taken it."

Man Utd's remaining Premiership fixtures:

Tuesday, 17 April
(H) Sheff Utd
Saturday, 21 April
(H) Middlesbrough
Saturday, 28 April
(A) Everton
Saturday, 5 May
(A) Man City
Wednesday, 9 May
(A) Chelsea
Sunday, 13 May
(H) West Ham

Chelsea's remaining Premiership fixtures:

Wednesday, 18 April
(A) West Ham
Sunday, 22 April
(A) Newcastle
Saturday, 28 April
(H) Bolton
Sunday, 6 May
(A) Arsenal
Wednesday, 9 May
(H) Man Utd
Sunday, 13 May
(H) Everton

McFLY

Registered
Fergie Eyes Defoe

FERGIE EYES DEFOE
SIR ALEX LINES UP £10M BID FOR SPURS' ACE

08/04/2007

MANCHESTER United are set to make a £10million summer transfer swoop for Tottenham striker Jermain Defoe.

The England star is frustrated by Tottenham manager Martin Jol's policy of rotating a strike force that also includes Robbie Keane, Dimitar Berbatov and Mido.

Defoe, 24, has two years to run on his existing contract but has stalled on signing an extension.

It means Tottenham may be tempted to cash in on a player they signed from West Ham four years ago in partexchange deal worth £7million plus Bobby Zamora.

As his contract runs down, so Defoe's value will decrease. It is certain he will not ask for a move from Tottenham - but that will not stop United manager Sir Alex Ferguson making a bid.

Fergie was keen to sign Defoe before he went to Tottenham and that interest has been revived because of Defoe's sporadic firstteam appearances, but Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp would also be keen.

A move to Old Trafford would re-unite Defoe with his former Tottenham team-mate Michael Carrick.

McFLY

Registered
Ban For United Fans?

BAN FOR UNITED FANS?

08/04/2007

MANCHESTER United are considering banning their fans from the Champions League semi-finals - if they face a trip to AC Milan.

After the horror clashes in Rome last week that marred United's game against Roma, United may implement their own temporary ban on supporters travelling abroad if they return to Italy.

A United insider said: "In no way do we blame our fans for the problems they encountered in Italy, but for their own safety we would have to consider the possibility of refusing an allocation of tickets should we face Milan."

United were angry to be fined £6,300 by UEFA for problems in the game against Lille when it seemed clear the blame lay entirely with the poor security arrangements at the stadium in Lens.

And last week, United feel baton-wielding police in Rome overreacted to a minor incident by indescriminately attacking English supporters

McFLY

Registered
Mourinho wants Crespo return

April 12, 2007

Mourinho wants Crespo return

JOSE MOURINHO is defiantly preparing for next season with Chelsea — despite the threat of the sack.
SunSport can reveal the Blues boss has already mapped out the club’s pre-season schedule and demanded that Argentine striker Hernan Crespo be brought back to Stamford Bridge this summer.

But Blues owner Roman Abramovich will make Mourinho sweat on his Chelsea future.

A source close to Red Rom said: “Roman does not think the problems with Mourinho are doing any harm. In fact, he is quite happy that it seems to have bonded the team. The future is up in the air. It could go either way.”

Crespo is on loan at Inter Milan and would prefer to stay in Italian football.

But Mourinho is fearful of losing Didier Drogba and Salomon Kalou during next year’s African Nations Cup and has told the club to get Crespo back.

Crespo endured an unhappy time in England and was allowed to leave last summer for family reasons.

Mourinho said: “I understand the human side of Crespo’s story — but business is business.

“It’s up to Abramovich and Peter Kenyon now. I have told them my plans. Crespo is ours and I need a striker.

"I’m sure I will lose Drogba and Kalou, who will go to play in the African Cup of Nations, so I need a striker like Crespo to be at Chelsea.”

Chelsea still pay half of Crespo’s £87,000- a-week wages despite the fact he has played all season at Inter.

Abramovich snubbed Chelsea’s memorable 2-1 win against Valencia on Tuesday night causing further speculation that Mourinho will be replaced this summer.

But the Portuguese coach has already finalised every detail of the club’s pre-season programme, including a three-game tour of the USA in July.

Mourinho was also asked by one of Abramovich’s close aides if he would take his team to Russia for a friendly in early August.

The manager said it would not be a problem — though he was slightly surprised that the owner had asked his permission.

Midfielder Frank Lampard insisted the Chelsea players were not worried by Abramovich’s absence in Valencia.

Lamps said: “I think as the owner he’s put a huge amount of money into the club and he has every right to do whatever he wants. It’s not an issue for us.”

McFLY

Registered
Ronaldo pens new Man Utd contract

Friday, 13 April 2007, 09:42 GMT 10:42 UK

Cristiano Ronaldo has signed a new five-year contract with Premiership leaders Manchester United.

The 22-year-old Portuguese winger has ended speculation over his future after being linked with a move to Spanish giants Real Madrid and Barcelona.

"I am delighted. I spoke with Sir Alex Ferguson about my future and everyone knew that I wanted to stay," he said.

"I am very happy at the club and I want to win trophies and hopefully we will do that this season."

United boss Ferguson added: "It is fantastic news, it emphasises the point that Cristiano is happy here and that he is at the right club.

"He has a great relationship with the team, staff and the fans and he will go on to be one of Manchester United's great players."

Ronaldo has been in scintillating form for United this season as they aim to win the treble of the Champions League, the Premiership and the FA Cup.

He is also the favourite to win the PFA Player of the Year award.

Ronaldo joined United from Sporting Lisbon for £12m in August 2003, on a five-year contract which he extended by a further two years in November 2005.

He was strongly linked with a move following the World Cup, where he was involved in controversy with his involvement in Wayne Rooney's sending-off in Portugal's quarter-final win over England.

But Ronaldo has returned to England to lead United's charge on the treble.

McFLY

Registered
Diego Maradona back in hospital

Friday, 13 April 2007, 11:33 GMT 12:33 UK

Diego Maradona back in hospital

Maradona has battled alcohol and cocaine addictions
Argentine former football star Diego Maradona has returned to hospital with abdominal pains, two days after he went home after a two-week stay.

Argentine media said he was taken to a Buenos Aires hospital in the early hours, but that doctors say his life is not in danger.

He has been treated for acute toxic hepatitis related to alcohol abuse.

Maradona, who led the Argentine team to victory in the 1986 World Cup, has battled cocaine addiction and obesity.

Maradona's doctor has said he will probably need treatment for alcoholism for the rest of his life.

He had been expected to travel to a clinic in Switzerland for further treatments.

McFLY

Registered
United Go For Owen

15th April 2007

MANCHESTER UNITED are ready to make a sensational summer move for Michael Owen.

Sir Alex Ferguson has focused his search for a striker on Newcastle's 27-year-old England star, who has a £12million release clause in his contract.

Owen has been out with a serious knee injury since last summer's World Cup finals but scored in a friendly game against Gretna last week.

Pleading

He has been pleading with Toon boss Glenn Roeder for a chance in the first-team and could make his comeback against Chelsea next week.

Ferguson will only launch a bid if he is fully satisfied Owen has recovered from the knee operation.

A well-placed United source told us: "It is no secret that Sir Alex wants another striker and he is bound to be attracted by someone of Owen's pedigree at such a competitive price. Naturally we would have to be certain he has recovered from his injury and that is why his return will be closely monitored.

"Ideally we want to see him in action for several games between now and the end of the season."

United's interest is certain to appeal to Owen, even though he still feels a debt to Newcastle after they paid £16m to sign him from Real Madrid nearly two years ago.

Owen still has his main home in the north-west, near Chester, even though he has a property in the north-east.

He is itching to get back into Premiership action and has also earmarked England's Euro Championship qualifier against Estonia in June for his international return.

McFLY

Registered
Rafa reveals Real snub

17 Apr 2007

Rafa Benitez has admitted he rejected a lucrative offer to become Real Madrid coach, preferring to stay at Liverpool.

Real were known to be keen on Benitez's services last summer and failed to lure the Reds boss back to the Spanish capital with a huge contract offer.

Benitez had spells as a player and coach at Real, but spurned the top job in favour of pursuing his objectives for the Anfield club.

"I said no to Real when they offered me more money than I get here, even though there maybe were greater expectations," Benitez revealed.

"Madrid may be my town, but I am happy here and pleased with everything. We want to stay because of the new ideas and the new owners are very exciting.

"It is so positive for the future. And I could not ignore the noise and support I received from the supporters last week against (PSV) Eindhoven, it was tremendous and moving. I repeat, I am very happy here.

"It was not a difficult decision. I have an objective here, I explained that when I spoke to the new owners and they told me they would be supportive.

"It is clear that Madrid was an opportunity but I said 'no' - because I have a lot of confidence in the future here and I believe we can win more trophies and there are a lot of positive things in the future.

"My family are happy, I am happy and we feel the future of the club will be brilliant."

Meanwhile, the Liverpool boss has called on the players to focus on football rather than contract negotiations.

Talks have opened with Steven Gerrard, Jamie Carragher, Xabi Alonso, Luis Garcia and Jose Reina, but Benitez said: "I do not want to talk any more about the contract discussions.

"I wanted us to show them I had confidence in them and I would like to see all of them here in the future - the people in charge of the club agree.

"I have confidence because the conversations were good, but maybe now for these next few weeks it is time to finish talking.

"I do not want to see the players thinking about contracts when they should be concentrating on games."

McFLY

Registered
Poland and Ukraine host Euro 2012

Poland and Ukraine have been chosen to host the 2012 European Championships.

Italy were widely expected to win the Uefa vote in Cardiff, with another joint bid from Croatia and Hungary also in the running.

However, Italy's bid was overshadowed by last season's referee corruption scandal and their on-going problems with football-related crowd trouble.

It will be the first time that either Poland or Ukraine have hosted a major football championship.

Uefa president Michel Platini said: "Today Poland and Ukraine has been chosen by the Uefa executive committee to host Euro 2012 and they are surely a worthy winner.

"However there are no losers today, rather only bids that have not won this time round.

"I cannot speak highly enough of the effort that has been made, and the passion for football we have seen in all three bids."

Platini's announcement prompted scenes of jubilation in the host countries.

Polish Football Association chairman Michal Listkiewicz said: "There are 85 million people now waiting for this big football event.

"The friendship between our nations has a very long history. This big tournament will be an important milestone in the history of our two Slavic nations."

His comments were echoed by Ukrainian football federation president Hryhory Surkis.

"This is a decisive day for our country. It will provide new opportunities for our country as it strives to integrate with Europe," he said.

Poland and Ukraine's bid team staged an impressive presentation on Tuesday, featuring Chelsea striker Andriy Shevchenko, Liverpool keeper Jerzy Dudek as well as boxer Vitali Klitschko, former Olympic champion Sergei Bubka and Ukraine president Victor Yushchenko.

Nonetheless, the bid was still considered the outsider of the three.

Poland is still recovering from a match-fixing scandal and its government has been warned by Uefa and Fifa about political interference in the country's football governing body.

Meanwhile, Ukraine has been hit by a political crisis, with the president trying to dissolve parliament.

Nigel Adderley, BBC Five Live's reporter in Cardiff, said: "It's a massive slap in the face to Italian football. The complete outsiders will host Euro 2012, and Italy are beaten.

"Only last night, members of the Uefa executive committee seemed to be saying they would go for a safe pair of hands.

"They were hinting that although Italy has had problems, they still felt it is place that can develop a tournament and has the experience."

Uefa chief executive Platini is keen to redress the balance of power in football throughout Europe and he appears to be supported by Uefa's 14-man executive committee.

According to Uefa sources, Poland and Ukraine won in the first round of voting with eight of the 12 votes while four went to Italy and none to Croatia and Hungary.

It will be first time the former eastern bloc has hosted the tournament since Yugoslavia in 1976.

Poland's Dutch head coach Leo Beenhakker said the decision was hugely important for the game in the winning countries.

Beenhakker said: "Eastern Europe has a great history in sport and in football and they still have great players but what they have been missing has been good infrastructure, stadiums and training facilities.

"Now the governments and the football federations are obliged to realise all their promises within the next five years and make these improvements.

"This is fundamental for football in Poland and Ukraine."

Games will be played in four Ukrainian cities (Dnipropetrovsk, Donetsk, Kiev and Lviv) and six Polish venues (Gdansk, Krakow, Poznan, Warsaw, Wroclaw and Chorzow).

Kiev's Olympic Stadium, used to host football at the 1980 Moscow Olympics, is the proposed venue for the final.

The tournament will feature 16 teams, although Uefa is looking into increasing that to 24 from 2016 onwards.

McFLY

Registered
Torres armed for Kop switch

2lswugm.jpg

McFLY

Registered
England appeals to Kaka

Milan star Kaka admits the challenge of playing in the Premiership is 'very appealing'.

Fresh from destroying Manchester United's UEFA Champions League dream on Wednesday night, Kaka turned his thoughts to playing in England.

The Brazilian feels the fact that three Premiership clubs figured in the Champions League semi-finals is a sign of the league's strength.

And he concedes that, if he ever decides to leave Milan, then he would consider the possibility of moving to England.

"I love the competition, the challenge," Kaka told Sky Sports News.

"There are many big teams.

"Three English teams made the last four of this competition, so the challenge is very appealing.

"Many champions play in England.

"If one day I was to leave Milan I would definitely look at an English team."

Kaka also revealed he would relish the chance to play alongside United winger Cristiano Ronaldo, suggesting the Portugal international should move to the San Siro.

"In Italy," replied Kaka when asked where the two could play together.

"He should transfer to Milan then we could play together. You never know."