Eutelsat 5 West A at 5.0°W Multistream

valentino50

Registered
Hi there.
Can anyone pls let me know which dish size to be able to pick French Multistream channels on Eutelsat 5 West A at 5.0°W.
I am actually base 30 miles south west of Glasgow.
Thanks

william-1

Feed Hunter
But a new satellite Eutelsat 5 West B is due to replace the old Eutelsat 5 West A,

The new footprint below is only a guide as we have had no reception reports for this satellite it was only launched yesterday,

If the French Multi-Streams use the trans-alpine footprint you may not get these transponders even with a very large dish.

Last edited:

william-1

Feed Hunter
If the French Multi-Streams use this Europe wide beam you will be OK but as we do not know what beam they will use until the new satellite starts in the next few months.

barney115

Donating Member
Staff member
Administrator
88cm for me is good enough William-1, 5 West is my strongest Sat
i can even pick up feeds on 5W with 88cm Triax dish : )
but as you say if they go Eutelsat 5 West B not even my 2 meter will catch that beam :eek:

william-1

Feed Hunter
Thanks for you input barney115 yes I also use a 88cm & due to my location will get both beams on this dish from the new Eutelsat 5 West B,

I will not be able to get the Algerian service anymore as this new tight footprint shows :eek:

dxn

Registered
I'm a little worryed with this satélite.

I Suspect manny transponders, especially the italians and maybe the french will move to the newbeam trans-alpine footprint and will be not able to catch them on my location :(

william-1

Feed Hunter
5° West a short History of this satellite position,

Stellat 5, as it was originally known, was built by Alcatel Space on behalf of Stellat, a joint-venture between France Telecom (70%) and Europe*Star (30%), a subsidiary of Alcatel Space and Loral Space and Communications.[3] It was launched 5 July 2002 at 23:21 UTC by an Ariane 5 G rocket from Guyana Space Centre along with the Japanese satellite N-STAR c. It had a launch weight of 4,050 kilograms (8,930 lb). Victim of financial difficulties, France Télecom withdrew from space operations. In this move it sold Stellat to Eutelsat in July 2002. Early 8 October, the satellite entered operational service.

Eutelsat completed the acquisition for a sum of €183,900,000 and renamed the satellite Atlantic Bird 3.

AB 3 took on the role covered by the satellites Telecom 1 and 2 C, operational between 1983 and 2002, in the historic French position of 5° longitude West. In March 2012 Eutelsat re-baptised its satellite fleet, and AB 3 was renamed Eutelsat 5 West A.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eutelsat_5_West_A

In a few weeks time a new satellite Eutelsat 5 West B will enter service @ 5°West.

https://www.eutelsat.com/files/PDF/brochures/EUTELSAT_SATELLITE_E5WB.pdf

Last edited: