Latest La Liga News

sky star 2

Super VIP
DUFFEN: NEGREDO AGREED TERMS

Hull chairman Paul Duffen claims Alvaro Negredo had agreed to move to the KC Stadium before Real Madrid sold the striker to Sevilla.

Negredo had been lined up for a £12million move to the Tigers only for the deal to collapse when he agreed a five-year deal to stay in Spain with Sevilla.

Reports suggested that the 23-year-old's preference was always to remain in La Liga, but Duffen insists Negredo was willing to move to the Premier League.

Duffen says the player, who had impressed at Almeria last season, had accepted personal terms to join Hull before a late change of heart from Real.

"Having agreed a fee with Real Madrid, we finalised personal terms with the player's representatives in London on Friday," Duffen told the Hull Daily Mail.

"We were then assured by them that they would go back to Real Madrid and discuss the terms of his buy-back.

"Then we hear that the club have decided to sell him to Sevilla and that's the end of it.

"There's clearly something dysfunctional when you agree terms with a player and his club and then he doesn't come.

"There is absolutely nothing to suggest that the player did not want to join Hull City.

"Everything we heard from the player's representatives suggested that he wanted to come to Hull City, but we can't dwell on this."

With Negredo the latest striker to turn down a move to Hull, Duffen confirmed the quest continues to improve Phil Brown's attack before the transfer window closes.

He added: "This doesn't change anything about the way we do our business.

"It has taken us a long time for someone of Negredo's ability to come so close to joining us, but there's no regrets in aiming for a player of that calibre.

"If we believe a player represents value, then we are prepared to pay the money.

"We've got to get on and do our business between now and the end of the transfer window, but this is just a bump in the road."

sky star 2

Super VIP
WENGER UNHAPPY WITH FABREGAS TALK

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has hit out at the way Spanish clubs conduct their presidential elections after Gunners captain Cesc Fabregas was once again linked with a move back to boyhood club Barcelona.

Current president Joan Laporta is entering his final year in charge, and has so far failed to convince their former trainee to return to the Nou Camp.

Now, it has emerged Sandro Rosell has targeted the Arsenal midfielder as part of his bid to take control at the club, with reports suggesting a deal could be struck for Fabregas' transfer next summer.

Wenger, though, has no intention of letting any of his star names leave and slammed all the speculation behind the political wrangling.

"I believe that apart from giving some articles to the newspapers, all the rest is rubbish," declared the Arsenal manager, whose young side have opened the new campaign in impressive form.

"It does not help football and does not help people to focus on their job and is sometimes destabilising.

"The way Spanish clubs are run is more political than sport orientated.

"How much does that harm other clubs? It is difficult to measure, but it does not help other clubs when somebody who has, for example, no chance to be elected next year as president, can announce any name.

"What can you do against him? Nothing. Does that help other clubs? Certainly not."

Wenger, though, declared: "The only thing I can say that the day I agree to sell a player one year in advance, I will not be in this job any more."

Despite all of the harbingers of doom predicating a difficult season ahead for the Gunners, who have not won a trophy since the 2005 FA Cup, Wenger's side have impressed during their two matches so far.

A 6-1 mauling of Everton at Goodison Park was followed up by a 2-0 win away to Celtic in the first leg of their Champions League play-off.

The Arsenal boss, though, knows all to well there is a long, long way to go.

"I feel we have started well and we have shown some potential," he said.

"We are in a marathon here and it just started."

Wenger added: "[Liverpool manager Rafael] Benitez is right, it is far too early to speak about anything which will happen in this Premier League, because you do not see the first trend until after 10 games.

"We will have had some tough games by then, so that is why now we have our feet on the ground."

Arsenal may have only signed one player during the transfer window so far, but £10million man Thomas Vermaelen already looks a shrewd acquisition.

Partnered at the centre of defence alongside William Gallas following the sale of Kolo Toure, the Belgian international has produced a couple of impressive displays - scoring on his debut at Everton.

Wenger said of the former Ajax man: "Everybody looks surprised that he is doing well - I am not because I saw him when he played against us for Ajax.

"He is a player who has intelligence, physical strength and a good technical level.

"If you analyse him well you see that he has all the ingredients needed to be successful in the Premier League.

"As a team we want to do better defensively than we did last year.

"That is vital to us - we conceded 37 goals last year and the target is to do much better than that."

sky star 2

Super VIP
SNEIJDER WANTS REAL STAY

Real Madrid midfielder Wesley Sneijder is reluctant to leave the Bernabeu.

The Spanish giants are keen to offload a number of assets after splashing out £250million on the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka and Xabi Alonso.

The influx of new Galacticos means Dutchman Sneijder is surplus to requirements and reports in Spain have suggested Bernabeu chiefs have been negotiating a deal to offload the midfielder to Inter Milan.

However, the 25-year-old is adamant he will remain at the club and has vowed to prove his worth by ousting the superstars out of the team with hard work.

"I want to play at Real Madrid. I don't want to leave because I know I am capable of being an important part of this team," Sneijder told Spanish sports newspaper Marca.

"I will fight until the very last moment to stay here. I will continue to train hard like a good professional so they see I am keen to continue here."

sky star 2

Super VIP
ZLATAN SET FOR BARCA OUTING

Summer signing Zlatan Ibrahimovic is set to make his official debut for Barcelona on Sunday as last season's treble winners go for their first title of the 2009/10 campaign in the second leg of the Supercopa de Espana against Athletic Bilbao.

Ibrahimovic, who arrived at the Nou Camp earlier this summer from Inter Milan in a big-money deal which saw Samuel Eto'o move in the other direction, has missed virtually all of Barca's pre-season preparations following an operation on a fractured hand.

The Sweden striker finally made his first appearance for the club in Wednesday night's 1-0 defeat by Manchester City in the Joan Gamper Trophy, when he came off the bench in the second half.

Following his spell on the sidelines, against City Ibrahimovic looked a pale shadow of the player who has terrorised Serie A defences for the last five seasons.

Nevertheless, Guardiola says his new striker will have all the time he needs to settle at the club.

"As long he is showing me the application he is showing every day, he can take as long as he needs to settle and adapt," he said on Saturday.

"He can play badly as many times as he likes."

But the Barca coach believes the Swede will adapt quickly to the club's style of play.

"I'm not worried; he just needs time on the pitch and that will help him to adapt well," he said.

And Guardiola hopes his side can start off this season how they finished the last: winning trophies.

"To start the year with a title would be very positive," he said.

The Catalans take a 2-1 lead into tomorrow's match from the away leg, but the Barca coach wants maximum commitment from his side against Athletic.

"They will come out to pressure us and we will have to be careful - I want the maximum application and effort from my players," he said.

But Guardiola wants his side to remain true to their philosophy.

"We will set out to attack, as always," he said.

The Barca coach will be without Andres Iniesta and Rafa Marquez, who are both making their way back from injury.

Meanwhile, youngsters Marc Muniesa, Jeffren Suarez, Jonathon dos Santos and Andreu Fontas have all been named in the squad to face Athletic and could feature in the game.

Guardiola looks set to start with a strong side, though.

After this match, Barcelona face Shakhtar Donetsk in the European Super Cup in Monaco next Friday.

Joaquin Caparros' side took the lead in the first leg in Bilbao last weekend, but eventually lost 2-1.

The Basques then defeated Norwegian side Tromso 3-2 in a Europa League qualifying-round first leg on Thursday night.

And with next Thursday's trip to Scandinavia very much in mind, Caparros is likely to name a weakened side on Sunday.

Aitor Ocio and Fernando Amorebieta are both carrying knocks and will not be risked, while Fran Yeste, Mikel Susaeta, Javi Martinez, Iker Muniain and Oscar de Marcos have also remained in Bilbao.

Spain striker Fernando Llorente has travelled to Barcelona, but is likely to be left on the bench.

Summer signing Inigo Diaz de Cerio looks set to make his debut up front.

Caparros admits his side have only a slim chance of overturning their 2-1 first leg deficit.

"The probabilities are small, but I've seen everything in football," he said.

"We'll go there, try to play a good game and see what happens."

sky star 2

Super VIP
GUARDIOLA GIVES CREDIT TO PLAYERS

Pep Guardiola insisted his players deserved all the credit after the European champions picked up their first silverware of the new season on sunday night.

Last season's treble winners triumphed 3-0 at the Nou Camp to complete a 5-1 aggregate victory over Athletic Bilbao in the Spanish Supercup.

A delighted Guardiola said: "The team played at a great level, very dynamic and pressured well while moving the ball around.

"We also created numerous chances and they did not have many against us at all. As for the players, all I can do is to give them the desire to win, but the players all deserve the credit.

"More importantly we have to maintain this spirit."

Barca never looked in trouble last night despite a goalless opening period, and a second-half brace from Lionel Messi plus another from Bojan Krkic earned Guardiola's troops a convincing win to add to last weekend's 2-1 success at San Mames.

"In ties such as this you never know what can happen and Athletic are always resourceful," Guardiola said.

"I think that in finals we have to be more clinical, but in pre-season things are always slightly more difficult."

The 38-year-old added on www.fcbarcelona.com: "The aim of pre-season was to win the Spanish Supercup and the European one too before making a good start to the league.

"This is the first trophy as last season has passed and we are all pleased."

Thierry Henry admitted he had played through the pain barrier after suffering an anterior cruciate ligament strain in his right knee towards the end of last season.

"I always hurt," the Frenchman told L'Equipe. "I have been struggling for three weeks with my tendons and especially with my knee.

"I was forced to rest for the France game (1-0 win over Faroe Islands on August 12) and the Gamper tournament (1-0 defeat to Manchester City last Wednesday) because I could not continue.

"I think I wanted to come back too quickly in the first leg in the Spanish Supercup.

"It often happens in early season - simple as that. But it is moving away and going much better. (Last night) my tendons left me alone. Once I warmed up, I could run normally."

sky star 2

Super VIP
ANOTHER TROPHY FOR BARCA

Brilliant Barcelona added another piece of silverware to their bulging trophy cabinet on Sunday night after clinching the Spanish Supercup following a one-sided second leg against Athletic Bilbao at the Nou Camp.

Barca never looked in trouble despite a goalless opening period, and a second-half brace from Lionel Messi plus another from Bojan Krkic earned Pep Guardiola's a 5-1 aggregate win following last weekend's 2-1 success at San Mames.

The victory adds the Supercup to the Primera Division, Copa del Rey and Champions League titles Barca won last season, and the Catalan giants could another crown on Friday when they play Shakhtar Donetsk in the European Supercup.

Guardiola, having opted to use a mixture of youth and experience for Wednesday's Joan Gamper Trophy defeat to Manchester City here, selected arguably his strongest available line-up for this clash with only the injured Andres Iniesta missing.

Summer signings Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Maxwell were both included, with the Swede making his first start for the club having appeared as a second-half substitute in the friendly against City.

However, while Barca were boasting most of their big guns, it was actually Athletic who fashioned the first effort of note in the 21st minute when Pablo Orbaiz's long-range free-kick was pushed over the bar by Victor Valdes.

Nothing came of that corner though, and for the rest of the first half - and indeed for most of the second as well - Athletic were forced to withstand a Barca onslaught.

At times, the visitors' goal seemed to lead a charmed life, and Athletic goalkeeper Gorka Iraizoz was the busiest man on the pitch as he made vital saves to deny Messi, Gerard Pique and Ibrahimovic, while Thierry Henry and Xavi both failed to hit the target from close range.

Iraizoz produced his best stop six minutes before the break to deny Ibrahimovic a memorable first goal for Barca after the 66million euro man had chested down Messi's cross and sent an acrobatic volley flying towards the top corner.

Barca did not exactly help themselves either though, with Seydou Keita mis-kicking with the net at his mercy before the Mali international then saw a goal-bound effort inadvertently blocked on the line by his team-mate Yaya Toure.

Athletic had ridden their luck to stay on level terms with Barca before the break, but that fortune ran out just four minutes after the re-start when a piece of Messi magic put the hosts ahead.

The Argentinian superstar still had work to do after picking up an Ibrahimovic lay-off, but he made it look ridiculously easy as he skipped past Ustaritz Aldekoaotalora before coolly dinking the ball over Iraizoz.

Athletic, who are in the midst of a Europa League qualifying round tie against Tromso, were finding it virtually impossible to get out of their own half and they had more let-offs as Xavi's shot was deflected wide and Carles Puyol headed against the crossbar.

It seemed only a matter of time before Barca increased their advantage, and that proved to be the case when Messi made it 2-0 from the penalty spot after Dani Alves had gone down in the box.

That was in the 67th minute and 2-0 become 3-0 just four minutes later as Barca finally got the rewards their overwhelming dominance deserved.

Bojan, who had only been on the pitch for two minutes after replacing Ibrahimovic, was the goalscorer as he capitalised on a dismal back-pass by Ander Iturraspe before skipping past Iraizoz and walking the ball into an empty net.

That proved to be the final goal of the game as Barca took their foot off the pedal in the closing stages with the damage already done.

sky star 2

Super VIP
PUYOL OFFERED NEW BARCA DEAL - REPORT

Carles Puyol is considering the offer of a contract extension at Barcelona, according to reports in Spain.

The veteran defender has been with Barca since he was a youngster and has been captain of the club for the past five years.

He was linked with a move to Manchester City over the summer but played down the speculation and revealed he was in talks over a new deal at Camp Nou.

Barca have now presented an offer to the 31-year-old but it is understood that he has yet to give an answer.

Puyol, who has one year remaining on his current deal, is expected to take his time studying the terms on offer.

sky star 2

Super VIP
SYLVINHO SEALS CITY MOVE

Veteran Brazilian defender Sylvinho has joined Manchester City on a one-year contract.

The former Arsenal star was released by Barcelona at the end of last season and passed a medical this afternoon to become the seventh new arrival at Eastlands.

Now 35, Sylvinho will provide cover for Wayne Bridge at left-back.

Twice a Champions League winner, Sylvinho completed the full 90 minutes of last May's triumph over Manchester United in Rome.

During his time at the Nou Camp, he also picked up three La Liga medals in addition to the six caps he earned for his country.

City boss Mark Hughes is hoping international clearance is received in time for Sylvinho to be considered for the Carling Cup second-round tie at Crystal Palace on Thursday.

"Sylvinho has a wealth of experience at the very top level, having represented Brazil and played for some of the very top clubs in Europe," Hughes told www.mcfc.co.uk.

"When the chance presented itself to bring him to Manchester City as a free agent I saw it as representing excellent business for us.

"Sylvinho won the European Cup last season at Barcelona and he will strengthen our defensive options."

sky star 2

Super VIP
VIDIC NOT SEEKING MAN UNITED EXIT

Nemanja Vidic has sought to play down speculation about his future by insisting he is happy at Manchester United.

The Serbian has spoken out after recent comments credited to his agent Paolo Fabbri claimed he was angling after a move to Barcelona.

Vidic, who was one of United's key players in their Barclays Premier League title defence last season, made his first start of the season in Saturday's 5-0 win over Wigan after recovering from injury.

"I've never said anything about Barcelona or Real Madrid or AC Milan - or any club," he said.

"I never speak about my future so I don't know why someone else does. I showed at Wigan on the pitch how happy I am at this club.

"Any fan of United only has to see how I played to know how committed I am. I spoke with my agent about this and what he said. I know about all the rumours about me but I don't want it to have an impact on the club.

"It's not a good time for my club to be hearing those rumours," added the 27-year-old in reference to the summer departures of Carlos Tevez and Cristiano Ronaldo.

Vidic also dismissed as untrue reports his wife, Ana, has not settled in Manchester.

"It's not true that my wife is not happy," he continued. "I don't know how that rumour came out, she's not what you'd call a famous wife. She's never spoken to a newspaper."

sky star 2

Super VIP
SNEIJDER HOPING TO STAY AT REAL MADRID

Real Madrid midfielder Wesley Sneijder is hopeful he will still be at the Bernabeu when the transfer window closes next week.

The 25-year-old will struggle for a place in the starting line-up this season following Real's summer spending spree, and was reported to be on his way to Serie A champions Inter Milan.

But Sneijder appears to have turned his back on Italy, and has instead reiterated his intention to fight for a place under Real coach Manuel Pellegrini.

"I still think Real Madrid are the best club in the world to play for, even if perhaps they want to sell me," the Holland international told Sportweek.nl.

"I won't leave the club unless I'm asked to. If I'm still here on September 1, they can't sell me and then I know I'll be a part of the coach's plans."

sky star 2

Super VIP
LOVENKRANDS SNUBS SPANISH SWITCH

Peter Lovenkrands has turned down the offer of a contract from a Spanish side, reported to be Villarreal.

The Danish winger is currently without a club after seeing a short-term deal at Newcastle reach its conclusion at the end of last season.

With the new season now under way, Lovenkrands is keen to find employment as quickly as possible.

He is, however, reluctant to uproot his family, who have settled in England.

With that in mind, the 29-year-old is hoping to secure a move to a British side.

"That is correct, I have turned down a Spanish club," Lovenkrands said in Ekstra Bladet.

"Out of consideration to my two children, I would like to remain in Great Britain."

Lovenkrands has refused to rule out a return to Newcastle, having admitted that he would be willing to join the Magpies despite their relegation to the Championship last term.

sky star 2

Super VIP
ESPANYOL CLOSE IN ON FORLIN

Espanyol are close to completing the signing of Argentina international Juan Forlin from Boca Juniors.

The Barcelona-based club have confirmed they have reached an agreement with Boca for the 21-year-old defender and are waiting on the relevant documentation to be processed for the deal to be finalised.

Forlin, who will pen a five-year contract with the Primera Division outfit, will become Espanyol's sixth signing of the summer after Ivan Pillud, Facundo Roncaglia, Joan Verdu, Shunsuke Nakamura and Ben Sahar.

sky star 2

Super VIP
RONALDO NEEDS TIME - PELLEGRINI

Real Madrid coach Manuel Pellegrini feels that Cristiano Ronaldo 'needs time to adapt' to his new club.

Ronaldo joined Real from Manchester United for a world record fee of £80million this summer.

The Primera Division giants have since signed further stars and many of them were in action as Real easily disposed of Rosenborg 4-0 in the Santiago Bernabeu Trophy on Monday.

Karim Benzema, who arrived from Lyon, shone in that game, netting a brace, but Ronaldo failed to impress on the scale usually expected of him.

Pellegrini, though, is certain the Portugal international will emerge as a Real star, once he has adapted to his new surroundings.

"Cristiano Ronaldo needs a little time to adapt to his new team's style. Every player on the squad is working hard to be fit and play well," he told the club's official website.

"Cristiano has experienced a change in style and now lives in a different country. He needs a little more time unlike those who already know La Liga.

sky star 2

Super VIP
SUMMER SPREES BOOST LA LIGA IMAGE

Sir Alex Ferguson believes the English Premier League is still at the top of the pile, but events over the last few months has left Spanish football in a strong position to contest that claim ahead of this weekend's big kick-off in La Liga.

Following hot on the heels of the national team's success at Euro 2008, Barcelona last season swept all aside to become the first team from Spain and only the fifth club in history to win their domestic double and the European Cup in the same campaign.

That established Barca as the undisputed top dogs in Europe, not just due to the trophies they won but also because of the thrilling football they produced under new coach Pep Guardiola.

But it is not just on the field where Spanish football has been making waves, with Real Madrid barely out of the headlines this summer as they embarked on their remarkable spending spree.

Clearly not wanting to be left in the shadows by the record-breaking achievements of their arch rivals up at the Nou Camp, Madrid set about re-writing the history books themselves by splashing out over 250million euros on new talent since Florentino Perez returned to the presidency in June.

World player of the year Cristiano Ronaldo, costing a world-record 94million euros, was the jewel in the crown, but the signings of fellow 'Galacticos' Kaka, Karim Benzema and Xabi Alonso also made huge statements about the pulling power of Madrid, not to mention their financial might during a time when most clubs have been tightening their purse strings.

As was the case during Perez's previous tenure in charge when Madrid forked out big money on the likes of Zinedine Zidane, Luis Figo, Ronaldo and David Beckham, the Spanish giants again showed this summer that they have no rivals - including the cash-rich Premier League clubs - when it comes to getting their man.

Barca have also not baulked at paying out big money for top talent either, bringing in Zlatan Ibrahimovic in a deal that saw Inter Milan pocket 46million euros plus prolific Cameroon hitman Samuel Eto'o in exchange for the Swede.

And with the likes of Ibrahimovic, Ronaldo and Kaka joining a league that already boasts the talents of Lionel Messi, Xavi, Dani Alves, David Villa and Sergio Aguero, it is easy to see why some have suggested that the Primera Division is now the top league in the world.

Ronaldo is certainly of that mind, saying in the wake of his move from Ferguson's Manchester United: "The Premier League is a very good competition, but I think that the Spanish league is going to have a little more quality because of the players that are arriving.

"Both leagues are going to be very good, but I think that with Florentino Perez's signings the Spanish league is superior to the English. It's going to be a magnificent competition in Spain this year."

Ferguson's argument, that the Premier League is still the toughest in Europe, still holds some sway though, because with Madrid and Barca spending big this summer, the gap between those two and rest in Spain could be bigger than ever.

Last season, champions Barca finished nine points clear of second-placed Madrid, who in turn were eight points above Sevilla in third - and that despite that fact that Madrid lost each of their last five games while the Andalusian side picked up 13 points from a possible 15 in the same period.

And while the big two have been splashing out huge amounts, clubs such as Sevilla, Atletico Madrid, Villarreal and Valencia have spent their summers fighting off attention for their star names whilst making comparatively modest additions to their squads.

Despite that though, Villarreal midfielder Robert Pires does not believe La Liga will just be a two-horse race this season.

"This year there will be competition to win titles, because all of the teams have reinforced well," said Pires, whose own side's star signing has been Brazil striker Nilmar for a club-record fee believed to be around 11million euros.

"The bench will help us a lot and this isn't something we've had in other years. It's a big squad and everyone can show that they deserve to be in the XI."

Atletico are perhaps the biggest threats to Madrid and Barca, having so far kept hold of their prolific strike duo of Diego Forlan and Aguero as well as strengthening their much-maligned defence, while Sevilla have been boosted by the arrival of Alvaro Negredo from Madrid.

Valencia can also look forward to the new campaign with renewed enthusiasm after seemingly managing to keep hold of their highly-rated trio of Villa, David Silva and Juan Mata.

So, with that in mind, plus the fact that seven of the players voted into the top 10 of the FIFA world player of the year awards for 2008 will ply their trade in Spain this season, expectations are rightfully high of what could be a special year in La Liga.

However, only time will tell whether all the wonderful individual talent that the league now undoubtedly boasts can result in a more open title race, or whether it will further highlight the difference between the haves and have nots.

sky star 2

Super VIP
UNITED COULD FACE RONALDO

Manchester United could find themselves facing Cristiano Ronaldo and his fellow Real Madrid galacticos when the draw for the Champions League group stage takes place in Monaco tomorrow.

United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal are all guaranteed positions among the eight top seeds, meaning they will avoid current European champions Barcelona, but could face Real Madrid, who are one of the eight second-ranked clubs.

There is also another intriguing possibility of Carlo Ancelotti's Chelsea coming face to face with Jose Mourinho's Inter Milan in a group - Inter will also be among the second seeds.

The draw will see 32 teams split into eight groups, each containing a top seed, a second seed, a third seed and a fourth seed.

Bayern Munich, AC Milan and Sevilla are other top seeds, and there are plenty of tough opponents in the other pots. Lyon, CSKA Moscow and Juventus are among the second seeds, while Atletico Madrid, Bordeaux and Stuttgart are in the third pot.

Rangers are also among the second seeds thanks to Fiorentina's away-goals triumph over Sporting Lisbon tonight. If the result had been reversed, the Scottish champions would be third seeds.

The team to avoid among the eight clubs in the fourth pot are Wolfsburg, who were champions of Germany last season.

Such is the strength in depth of Europe's elite club tournament that there is a possibility of any of the English clubs being drawn in a group with Real Madrid, Bordeaux and Wolfsburg.

Big-spending Real Madrid are the bookies' favourites and will view this year's tournament as almost a must-win. Apart from the arrival of Ronaldo, Kaka and Xavi Alonso, the final in May will be at their home ground the Bernabeu.

As for last season's beaten finalists Manchester United, their striker Dimitar Berbatov insists most clubs will fear being drawn against the English champions.

He told the club's official website: "When you say the name Manchester United it inspires respect in a lot of people. Nobody will fancy playing us."

Berbatov said the taste of defeat in Rome has intensified the players' desire to go one better this time.

"After what happened in last year's final I think we're even more determined in Europe this time around," he added.

"For me, losing in Rome was doubly frustrating because I wasn't at the club when the team won in Moscow. I've never won the Champions League so losing to Barcelona was very upsetting.

"This year our aim is to make it all the way to Madrid. The Bernabeu is one of the best stadiums in the world and I know we're good enough to make it back there and, this time, win it."

Seedings for the draw:

Top seeds: Barcelona (Spa) UEFA co-efficient 121.9, Chelsea (Eng) 118.9, Liverpool (Eng) 118.9, Man Utd (Eng) 111.9, AC Milan (Ita) 110.6, Arsenal (Eng) 106.9, Sevilla (Spa) 100.9, Bayern Munich (Ger) 98.3.

Second seeds: Lyon (Fra) 91.0, Inter Milan (Ita) 87.6, Real Madrid (Spa) 78.9, CSKA Moscow (Rus) 71.5, Porto (Por) 68.3, AZ Alkmaar (Hol) 64.8, Juventus (Ita) 63.5, Rangers (Sco) 56.6.

Third seeds: Olympiakos (Gre) 52.6, Marseille (Fra) 48.0, Dinamo Kiev (Ukr) 46.4, Stuttgart (Ger) 45.3, Fiorentina (Ita) 42.6, Atletico Madrid (Spa) 41.9, Bordeaux (Fra) 40.0, Besiktas (Tur) 32.4.

Fourth seeds: Wolfsburg (Ger) 21.3, Standard Liege (Bel) 21.1, Maccabi Haifa (Isr) 17.1, FC Zurich (Swi) 14.1, Rubin Kazan (Rus) 9.5, Unirea Urziceni (Rom) 8.8, APOEL Nicosia (Cyp) 4.0, Debreceni (Hun) 1.633.

sky star 2

Super VIP
SNEIJDER EXCITED TO JOIN INTER

Wesley Sneijder feels he is swapping "one great club for another" as he prepares to complete his move from Real Madrid to Inter Milan.

Although the transfer has yet to be officially confirmed by either Madrid or Inter, media reports in Spain suggest a deal has been finalised for the 25-year-old Dutchman to join the Italian champions for a fee of around 15million euros.

Speaking to Marca about the seemingly imminent switch, Sneijder admits it is not easy to say goodbye to Madrid after two years at the Bernabeu but insists he is now looking forward to his new life at the San Siro.

"I'm going with my head high. I'm going to a great team, there's no doubt about that. I've been very happy here but now I have to look ahead and focus on my new team," said the former Ajax midfielder, who is set to bid farewell to his Madrid team-mates at their Valdebebas training ground on Thursday morning.

"The truth is that I was very happy here, it's something I cannot deny. It makes me sad to go but that's the way it is. That's life. Now the only thing I can say is that I'm happy. I'm changing one great club for another great club."

Although Sneijder preferred not to talk too much about the circumstances surrounding his exit from Madrid, he admitted he found it odd that the club were willing to sell him even though coach Manuel Pellegrini appeared to want him to stay.

"What has happened with me is something very strange. The coach said he counted on me but there are people at the club who don't," said Sneijder, who admits to having been left with a bad taste in the mouth.

"They have treated me very badly but I prefer not to talk about it.

"I'm going to give everything there (Inter). Life and football move on."

sky star 2

Super VIP
BARCA CLOSE IN ON CHYGRYNSKIY

Sporting director Txiki Begiristain has confirmed Barcelona are closing in on Shakhtar Donetsk defender Dmytro Chygrynskiy, but says that no deal will be finalised before Friday's European Super Cup against the Ukrainian side.

Barca have long been linked with Chygrynskiy and the treble winners now look set to get their man, with Spanish media claiming the 22-year-old Ukraine international will cost around 25million euros.

Speaking prior to Barca's trip to Monaco where they will contest the European SuperCup against UEFA Cup winners Shakhtar, Begiristain was in optimistic mood but said that nothing had been sealed yet.

"It's still not closed and we will leave it until after the final. I think that it's on the right track and I don't think there will be any problems, but for sporting reasons we will not close anything until after Friday's game," he said on www.fcbarcelona.cat.

"Both Pep (Barca coach Guardiola) and the club have been keen to sign a centre-back with certain characteristics. Chygrynskiy fits this profile. He's dominant in the air and has good distribution. Someone of his profile is very difficult to find in the market and it's a key position for us."

(reopens) Shakhtar coach Mircea Lucescu announced at today's press conference in Monaco that a deal had been struck for Chygrynskiy to move to Barca after tomorrow's match.

"It's already resolved and the decision is taken. I confirm the transfer of Chygrynskiy to Barcelona but on the condition that that he plays in the Super Cup (for Shakhtar) and after he will be available for his new club," he said in quotes reported by www.fcbarcelona.cat.

Lucescu added on www.uefa.com: "It's a great honour for Shakhtar for a major club to buy one of our young players. When Barcelona come in for a player, it's very hard to say no.

"Dmytro is only 22, has shown great talent and I'm convinced he's going to develop very positively in Barcelona. It's a win-win situation. The only one who's going to lose anything is me but I agreed to this transfer from the beginning."

Chygrynskiy said of the switch: "It makes me proud that Barcelona have looked at me at this stage of my career. Will there be pressure on Friday? I'm a professional I will be focused and I won't think about anything more than the game.

"In the last few days there has been a lot of questions but at this moment the most important thing is the final of the Super Cup against Barca."

sky star 2

Super VIP
SENNA BACK FOR SPAIN

Marcos Senna has been recalled to the Spain squad for the upcoming World Cup qualifying home double-header against Belgium and Estonia.

Senna, a key member of Spain's Euro 2008-winning side, has recovered from the hamstring injury that forced him to miss this summer's Confederations Cup tournament and the recent friendly with FYR Macedonia and takes his place in a 22-man party.

The 33-year-old midfielder is the only addition to the squad selected for the Macedonia match, with Osasuna defender Ignacio Monreal, who was called up for the first time to cover for the injured Sergio Ramos, retaining his place.

Spain play hosts to Belgium on September 5 in La Coruna before meeting Estonia in Merida four days later.

Vicente del Bosque's side have a 100% record after six qualifying games, leaving them top of Group 5, six points ahead of second-placed Bosnia-Herzegovina and within touching distance of a place in next year's finals in South Africa.

Squad: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Jose Reina (Liverpool), Diego Lopez (Villarreal); Raul Albiol (Real Madrid), Alvaro Arbeloa (Real Madrid), Joan Capdevila (Villarreal), Carlos Marchena (Valencia), Ignacio Monreal (Osasuna), Gerard Pique, Carles Puyol (both Barcelona); Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid), Sergio Busquets (Barcelona), Santi Cazorla (Villarreal), Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal), Xavi (Barcelona), David Silva, Juan Mata (both Valencia), Albert Riera (Liverpool), Marcos Senna (Villarreal);

Daniel Guiza (Fenerbahce), Fernando Torres (Liverpool), David Villa (Valencia).

sky star 2

Super VIP
BARCA EYE SUPER CUP PRIZE

Barcelona sporting director Txiki Begiristain has backed the European champions to see off Shakhtar Donetsk in the Super Cup on Friday night and erase the memory of their last trip to Monaco three years ago.

On that occasion, Barca were hammered by then UEFA Cup holders Sevilla 3-0 on a sorry night for the Catalan giants.

This time, they appear in strong shape as they look to get the better of Shakhtar Donetsk.

Begiristain said: "I have a good feeling. The team looks good to me, with the tension necessary to avoid what happened to us three years ago.

"We must give Shakhtar a lot of respect. The team must continue being as humble as always. If you don't respect your opponents and the competition, then teams can destroy you."

Spain midfielder Sergio Busquets claimed there would be no easing up from Barca even though they play Sporting Gijon in their Primera Division opener on Monday night.

He said: "The team has the maximum motivation. It's not always that you have the chance to win a title and we don't want to let the European Super Cup escape.

"Shakhtar will be a very difficult opponent, as they showed last year when they made things difficult for us both in Donetsk (Barca won 2-1 thanks to goals from Lionel Messi in the 87th and 94th minutes) and at the Nou Camp (Shakhtar won 3-2 against a second-string Barca).

"But the team is very good physically, with ambition and with the desire to win."

The odds are stacked against Shakhtar, who made it to Monte Carlo after winning the last-ever UEFA Cup with a final victory over Werder Bremen.

Goalkeeper Andriy Pyatov insists the Ukrainians will not be overawed by a Barca side which has lost Samuel Eto'o but added Zlatan Ibrahimovic over the summer.

He told the club's official website, www.shakhtar.com: "Barcelona is Barcelona. But I do not feel any fear. Their team is very similar to the one they had last season.

"I have dreamt of playing in matches like this.

"But we have a job to do, to win the trophy."

sky star 2

Super VIP
ROBBEN'S BAYERN-BOUND

Bayern Munich are set to sign winger Arjen Robben from Real Madrid on Friday.

The German giants announced that former Chelsea wideman Robben will undergo a medical before signing a four-year contract.

Bayern's general manager Uli Hoeness confirmed that a fee, reported to be in the region of 25 million euros, has been agreed between the two clubs and only a few minor details needed to be ironed out in the morning.

"He is on the way to Munich," confirmed Hoeness. "It is right that we are interested in signing Arjen Robben.

"We have already reached an agreement with Real.

"He is one of the best attacking midfielders around in Europe and he has always been the player we wanted."

Robben could be included in coach Louis van Gaal's squad to face Wolfsburg at the weekend and may make an immediate debut.

Hoeness said: "It is theoretically possible that he will play on Saturday. "Our intention is for him to play on the right wing with (Franck) Ribery on the left, making our team even more attractive."

Robben may not be the last new arrival at Bayern in the final few days of the transfer window as the club react to their worst start to a Bundesliga season in 43 years.

They have not won any of their first three matches this season and are already five points adrift of the league leaders, which is why Hoeness would not rule out a further new player coming to strengthen the club.

Hoeness said: "At the moment we don't have anybody else in mind, but three or four days ago I would not have thought that Arjen Robben would come to Munich."