Need help with a motorized dish!

milvas.ms

Registered
I have a motorized dish that is turned off since a few years ago.
I'm thinking in bringing it back to work again, but I have no idea of who to do it!
I think there's everything there but i don't know who to connect it.

There are a bunch of cable with different colors but i don't know what to do with them...

I have an old analog receptor that I think I can use to put the motor working, but I don't know were to connect witch cable.

If anyone can help me with this, please reply.
Thanks

librariandvb

Donating Member
the motor itself uses 4 wires, 2 for the 36volt supply and then two for the reed sensor that sends pulses to the positioner/receiver to count it moving, you will have to remove the back of the acuator, where the wires go in, to see which go to the motor and which go to the sensor, dont mix them up or you could blow the sensor

milvas.ms

Registered
the motor itself uses 4 wires, 2 for the 36volt supply and then two for the reed sensor that sends pulses to the positioner/receiver to count it moving, you will have to remove the back of the acuator, where the wires go in, to see which go to the motor and which go to the sensor, dont mix them up or you could blow the sensor

Thank you, I will do it. :thum:

librariandvb

Donating Member
good luck, on the back of the receiver are the two motor connections, if the dish turns the wrong direction, reverse the wires, the reed should go to sensor and ground to count the pulses

milvas.ms

Registered
Alright, I opened the back of the motor and found a few spiders and this:

On the inside i also found this:

But i still didn't understand which cable will connect which connection on the back of the receptor...

librariandvb

Donating Member
it looks like the two thicker wires, green and white, connect to the red and black, they will be for MOTOR, the smaller yellow and white (the one next to it) will be for the reed sensor,

if when you connect the motor wires and press east on receiver, the dish moves west, just reverse the motor wires round

hope that helps

Last edited:

starturn

Registered
What is still out there that is an analogue signal? Surely it's all digital now? Just a thought.

librariandvb

Donating Member
What is still out there that is an analogue signal? Surely it's all digital now? Just a thought.

i think he will only use the receiver to turn the dish as the actuator is old skool 36volts, the lnb can still be connected to a digital box separately

barney115

Donating Member
Staff member
Administrator
Really thats exactly the correct info librariandvb
well done m8 ,
i used the same setup before V-boxes even became trendy to have ,lol's

ive had these wires crossed and mixed up many times myself and it kinda gets a touch frustrating ..after you get it wrong 6 or 7 times... but the joy of getting it right on just one time that makes up for it ,lol's :D

im sure user milvas.ms will get it spot on first time with any luck at all : )
cheers .
-
Barney2222

librariandvb

Donating Member
Really thats exactly the correct info librariandvb
well done m8 ,
i used the same setup before V-boxes even became trendy to have ,lol's

ive had these wires crossed and mixed up many times myself and it kinda gets a touch frustrating ..after you get it wrong 6 or 7 times... but the joy of getting it right on just one time than makes up for it ,lol's
im sure user milvas.ms will get it spot on first time with any luck at all : )
cheers .
-
Barney2222

Same here Barney, before USALS, I had to manually select the satellite then use another receiver to watch.

About 4 years ago my actuator arm died so I replaced the lot with a new system.

I think you can still buy the converters that do USALS to 36 volts, but still old technology now. I

still remember how it worked and the hassle involved, fun times though, just not as easy as it is now.......take care

milvas.ms

Registered
First, thank you librariandvb, barney2222 and starturn.
In fact the receiver I showed is an old analog receiver. For now, I will only use it to test the motor, because i don't even know if it still works, its turned off since the 90's!
If it does works, i will probably update to a new one and then do everything on the same receiver.
I will now go and test if it works.
Thank you all!

milvas.ms

Registered
Well, it worked!:thum:
Its a little bit rusty but it works!
I will now probably buy a positioner that i think will solve my problem!
Thank you all again!

barney115

Donating Member
Staff member
Administrator
If its any help at all ive been using the Moteck V-Box III DiSEqC positioner for years now without any trouble ,

best part is its only cost me €50 delivered about 5 years ago so i bought 2 of them i dont think they gone up much in price in 5 years to be honest ,

1 for my 2 meter prime focus Dish and the other for my 1.2 meter Channel master Dish
both V-boxes placed in my shed just left switched on i never bother looking at them in last 5 years altho' one of them did fail and needed replacing few months ago during the summer so i just bought another same type and Superjack Actuator Arm and replaced both at same time .

So im sure i'll be good for maybbe another 4 or 5 years now :D

i get 33 east - 30w on both dishes i have a nasty tree growing making obstruction further east ..after winter is over my chainsaw will quickly eliminate this problem ,lol's

Good luck

librariandvb

Donating Member
Well, it worked!:thum:
Its a little bit rusty but it works!
I will now probably buy a positioner that i think will solve my problem!
Thank you all again!

great news, that's one less thing for landfill
glad you got it going, good luck feed hunting/watching with it