Satellites.xml - what is it for?

skybandit

Registered
I have been using an OpenBox S6000HD with BlackHole for about six months now but still feel very ignorant about how everything hangs together.

One thing I have not yet figured out is what is the purpose of satellites.xml and if I update it what do I need to do afterwards? Also how do I update it? I know where to to download it from, but am not sure where to copy it to as I have read conflicting advice on various forums.

If anyone knows of any good reference on Enigma2, please let me know. Is it essentially just another Linux distro with addons specifically for STBs?

fankoosh

Super Moderator
satellites.xml is an updated transponder file for all satellite u can download it here best site http://satellites-xml.eu/ or search for it in forum most of time for dreambox E2 enigma2 it should be located /etc/tuxbox/ but check bath for ur box

skybandit

Registered
satellites.xml is an updated transponder file for all satellite u can download it here best site http://satellites-xml.eu/ or search for it in forum most of time for dreambox E2 enigma2 it should be located /etc/tuxbox/ but check bath for ur box

I do know where to get it from and having searched the directory structure of my enigma2 box I found four seperate instances of it although three of them were symbolic links to /etc/tuxbox/satellites.xml.

Having said that, I still don't understand what it's for...
I see it contains things like:-

frequency symbol_rate polarization fec_inner inversion system modulation

but no mention of channels so how does my system equate these entries in satellites.xml with actual channels? Do I need to do a scan to find out the channel names?

fankoosh

Super Moderator
after updating to new satellite.xml u restart e2 & rescan for new chs for that new transponders in new updated satellite.xml & before scan u better select delete all previous old chs to scan & save a new chs list from all updated transponders in new satellite.xml

Robinson74

Registered
Having said that, I still don't understand what it's for...
It is for satellite scan.
If you run a manual satellite scan you can see available satellites read from this file. That also depends on your satellite system (fixed dish, motorized system, etc).
Your channels are in lamedb file.

skybandit

Registered
It is for satellite scan.
If you run a manual satellite scan you can see available satellites read from this file. That also depends on your satellite system (fixed dish, motorized system, etc).
Your channels are in lamedb file.

I had not come across this file before so I'm begining to grasp how all this fits together. Thanks.

How does file get generated? I did not do a manual scan after updating satellites.xml but the file has a current timestamp so must have been updated. Is it safe to delete the file? I'm assuming it will be recreated if I do a manual scan.

Robinson74

Registered
Which file are you talking about now? Still about satellites.xml or lamedb?

Last edited:

skybandit

Registered
Which file are you talking about now? Still about satellites.xml or lamedb?

The way I understood your post was that I provide a satellites.xml and scan generates an lamedb file.

I have just tried that and 1835 services were found which surprised me a little because I didn't really want loads of Arabic channels... Just Polish and English would have been fine...