Vantage 7100Hd Pal/NTSC

barret

Registered
Hello everyone,

I live in the US and decided to take a chance and buy the Vantage 7100Hd. We have nothing close to what this receiver had to offer here in the States. The reviews, specifications, and options this receiver has to offer are all top notch. When I received it yesterday I felt like a kid with a new toy. I couldn't wait to hook it up. I made the two needed connections, the satellite cable and the HDMI cable, powered it up, waited for the boot to finish and then------nothing, but a digital mess on the screen. It's funny how quick you can go from happy to sad. The best I can tell is that the unit is not NTSC compatible even though the specs I read show that it is. Not being able to read the screen it took me about 5 hours to finally get far enough to get a black and white picture through the yellow video out connection.
I have Emailed Vantage-Digital but have not received any response. So I am wondering a couple of things. Would downloading the latest main firmware from here help and if I do will this kill the chances of being able to return it ,which I don't want to do? Is there a chance that this could be fixed with a future upgrade? Is the 7100HD that good that it would be worth the price of adding a PAL converter to such as the one here. Link removed

Specs showing it as Auto,Pal, NTSC Link removed

I may have made a big mistake buying this but i still think the quality of the German made units are far superior to what we have here. Any input or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Rocknroll

Staff member
Administrator
Hello Barret, I'd suggest you wait for an answer from their support before doing anything.
But is there an option in the menu to choose between ntsc or pal?
I am pretty sure they wouldn't state it in the specs if it doesn't support it.
And from what I hear from the others that receiver is pretty good and I don't think you made a mistake buying it.

barret

Registered
Thanks Rocknroll. There is nothing in the menu / setup that I can find. It is listed as auto select in the online specs I found. The owners manual shows no reference to Pal or Ntsc. I hope I hear something soon. Its tough sitting in front of this receiver knowing that I can't use it. Oh and sorry about the links.

Rocknroll

Staff member
Administrator
Is there any reference to color format in the menu, to choose between RGB, YPbPr etc. Maybe that has something to do with it. I got black & white picture on my tv when I choose SVideo on my dreambox.

barret

Registered
No. but there is a small slide switch on the rear panel to toggle between SD and HD The best I can tell is this needs to be in the HD position for use with the HDMI out connection. I had a little more time last night and I found I can also get black and white video through the SCART connection. I was able to get a poor color picture out of the HDMI connection but only on the 720p format and it doesn't come close to fitting the screen so I can only view the tops of peoples heads. I can't pull up the menu from the HDMI screen because the menu section is off the bottom of the screen. And still no word from Vantage tech support.

Rocknroll

Staff member
Administrator
Maybe it would be worth trying it with another tv if that is an option. At least with sd picture.

barret

Registered
It might be worth a try just to see what happens. Right now it is hooked to my new Sony Bravia 46" LCD full 1080P. I have an older set to try it on but it will take some work to get big old set downstairs. I was also considering trying it on a computer monitor but I wasn't sure of available adapters from SCART or HDMI to VGA.
Thanks Again
barret

Last edited:

barret

Registered
Well I loaded the latest firmware today but no help. No different on another TV. No answer after 3 days from Vantage-Digital. Tried calling Vantage tech support direct but will not accept calls from US only Germany local. I would just like to know if the unit is only PAL or if it is both Pal and NTSC? If it is NTSC how to switch to that mode? If anyone there knows or would know how to find out I would be very grateful.

Thank You Very Much
barret

Rocknroll on the earlier question of an option to choose between RGB, YPbPr etc yes there is one. I tried all with no change to the picture.

Last edited:

barret

Registered
Yes I resolved it on my own with no help from Vantage. They are the poorest company I have seen at replying to EMails or tech support. To this day I have still not received a reply to numerous request for an answer to a very simple question. The unit is not NTSC compatible PAL only even though one sites specifications show it as Auto Pal/NTSC switching. I have it working with a $300 PAL converter, but not perfect at high bit rate 1080i feeds (slight video stutter). The best solution would be a firmware upgrade from Vantage if this is possible but I am sure I would not get a reply from them on this question either. I suspect if someone from Germany posted the question they would receive a quick reply.

Last edited:

barret

Registered
Update:
I received an answer from Vantage today from my March 4th inquiry on NTSC compatibility.

C&P from Vantage
hello
first of all you should update your receiver to latest firmware
then there is a switch on the backside of box
switching between scart nd hdmi ouptut
when you choose scart you can switch to ntsc

-------------------------------------
Mit freundlichen Grüßen /Best regards

VANTAGE Digital TEAM
I am not sure of exactly what it means. I guess I need to flip the switch to scart which has been tried. This will give me a black and white picture and kills the HDMI output.
I Emailed back to see if there was a menu setting that needed to be changed? I should receive and answer in about three weeks.

Viking61

Registered
In the latest Hyro firmware there is possibility to choose NTSC as TV system. There is also support for HE-AAC, which is used in the Norwegian DVB-T net. "N D S" also seems stable on this release. It is a patched firmware with EMU.

Hyro is a Vantage clone, and the firmware can be used on each other by changing a byte in the header.

If anyone is interested in testing it, send me a PM.

barret

Registered
In the latest Hyro firmware there is possibility to choose NTSC as TV system. There is also support for HE-AAC, which is used in the Norwegian DVB-T net. "N D S" also seems stable on this release. It is a patched firmware with EMU.

Hyro is a Vantage clone, and the firmware can be used on each other by changing a byte in the header.

If anyone is interested in testing it, send me a PM.

Viking61
Thank you for the info. I did PM you but then with your info I just checked Vantage-Digital again and the new release 020500 firmware finally adds the NTSC option in the menu. I just downloaded it and updated the receiver. Tested and working perfectly. I am watching the NHL playoffs in 1080i right now. Finally, finally. It was a long wait but worth it. Thank you :clapping::thum: