patch 5200D killed box! How I fixed it...

StuartHerring

Registered
Hi,

I thought I'd share this with the board as I was pulling my hair out and thought I'd killed my TM 5200D USB Super with the latest patch (134p), but today I've got it working again!

What happened :

I downloaded patch 134p for my box. Yes, it was the correct version! Copied it to USB flash driver, plugged into TM5200 and flashed the box. Box tried to reboot, and failed. Power off, reboot : nothing. I got 4 lines across the box display, then nothing.

Dismayed, I googled a bit and found info on how to recover the box using a serial cable and the Technomate downloader program. I bought a 9 pin female to female serial cable from Amazon (£2! don't pay Maplin £10 for one!), and connected it all up, ran the uploader program, selected a genuine Technomate flash image (116) to load and..... nothing. :confused:

The loader program told me to connect the receiver and switch it on. Well I did, repeatedly, and nothing, except the display on the Technomate box showed dashes moving - different to what happened when I powered it on without the serial cable connected. This looked hopeful, but it wouldn't do anything else, and the Technomate loader program didn't seem to be seeing it. I scanned the serial ports, nothing. Tested serial port & cable by connecting to an old Lidl sat receiver I've got, using their own loader program - this worked fine. So my serial port and cable were probably ok. :thum:

When I reconnected the Technomate and ran the Technomate loader program, I was back to where I started - box had moving lines on it's display, loader was waiting for the box to be switched on and doing nothing else. :mad:

After a few retries, and getting nowhere, I left it sitting there waiting for the box to power up (which it was - the lines were still moving on it's display) and went off to make a cup of tea and get something to eat. :spcartman:

I came back an hour later and - it had worked! :clapping:

Curiously, the technomate loader had detected I was running v134 (the patch that had failed), and had flashed it with the v116 I'd originally asked it to. The box was now displaying 0000 and waiting for me to configure some satellites.

Hooray! :) :p :D

So, if you find yourself in this situation, connect it all up, and leave it trying to connect - seems it will eventually manage it. Shame I wasn't there to see how long it took, or what it had done. When I was trying and failing, I'd left it for several minutes whilst it waited - it didn't tell me it had connected, nor did I get any moving display on the PC to tell me something was happening.

So, go and have a cup of tea! :rolleyes:

Now, to end my tale - of course, I wanted to reflash with the latest patched version, but was now nervous. So I downloaded the patch from two different boards, unzipped/rar'd them, and used DOS FC (file compare) in binary mode. They were identical.

I then used FC to check the patch I'd attempted to load that had killed the box. Although the filename was identical to the ones I'd just downloaded (5200D_5300D+_SUPER_134p_20100324.stb), the contents weren't!! :eek:

Somehow, it had got corrupted, even though it had orignally unzipped ok.

Anyway, with a new copy of the patch I've just flashed it, and am all happy and content again after several days of sweating and missing Mythbusters on 1w!

Stew