Solo4K as a router, possible? [SOLVED]

serdeliuk

Registered
Hello,

I wonder if someone tried to use the Solo4K as a router/access point.
It's internal WiFi cad support AP mode and it could be connected through lan cable directly to the internet, so why not? :)

Currently i am facing an issue with my current wifi router which is damaged and i started to play with Solo4K WiFi AP mode, but only thing i can do is to connect to the Solo4K through AP mode or to have internet through LAN, but not both at the same time with routing between AP and LAN.

Best regards,

Marc

newgolfer

Banned
I think not: after all it's only a decoder, not a Pc.
Cheers mate.
PS: for now that plug-in does not exist.

Last edited:

serdeliuk

Registered
Hello,

Actually it have a very powerful dual core arm cpu, with a lot of ram memory and more than enough flash space, beside this i have 2TB hard disk drive.
The power horse exists, more powerful than any dedicated wifi router, i wonder if somebody tried this.

I started to recompile the linux kernel for it in order to be able to use iptables and nat filtering, i use the latest OpenPli git snapshot.

I will keep you up to date with progress, if it is somebody interested to get the image just let me know.

Best regards,

Marc

serdeliuk

Registered
Hello,

I want to let you know that this is POSSIBLE!!! :)

I have successfully recompiled the kernel with netfilter patch enabled (iptables).
Added to newly built image following required packages for routing
iptables hostapd bridge-utils dhcp-server

The last one was added to auto allocate IPs through WiFi to any new computer connected.

Also, through iptables I have created an firewall, very powerful and flexible firewall.

Please, an admin, add into the subject of this thread [SOLVED] :)

Currently I am working to build a plugin to configure all packages, so an image is not really available, but for those who want to play i can provide an image and directions to configure anything.

Best regards,

Marc

Last edited:

serdeliuk

Registered
Ah, completely forgot,

The overall speed through Vu+Solo4K ROUTER was
21MB - download speed
18MB - upload speed
Measured with speedtest dot net

Compared with my Cisco Linksys EA2700 the speed is the same.

Best regards,

Marc

maumixio

Staff member
Good job my friend, I'm interesting too. Access point is working fine to me waiting for your image to be tested as described. :thum:

serdeliuk

Registered
Hi,

Thanks, the AP worked also for me, but it have a strange issue, when i try to disable the AP mode, the wifi lan card disappear, even after reboot, only an image reinstall bring back the wifi card.

@maumixio, did you tested/tried on your device to disable the AP mode? If not be careful, do a backup first :) you will be forced to reinstall your preferred image in order to have back the WiFi card.

I will prepare all required infos and the image itself and will provide a link for download, it seems that i am not able to post attachments.

Best regards,

Marc

digi247

Registered
The only Downside to the Built in Wi-Fi is that it is 2.4ghz only and they neglected to include the 5ghz specification

serdeliuk

Registered
Hi,

Indeed, also internal antennas are weak for a wifi router.

However, because this is something functional, an external usb wifi could be used, also the internal usb wifi card could be replaced with something better, with external antennas...

Best regards

Marc

serdeliuk

Registered
Hi,

As promised, here is the download link for the router image "i cannot upload attachments"

http://ms.serdit.ro

The image is based on OpenPli 4.

The router part is partially preconfigured as for
- WiFi name is VUSolo4K
- WiFi password is RouterTesting123
- Internal IP was preset with 192.168.2.1
- Samba file server started on internal IP and share
/media/hdd/movie
/media/hdd/pictures
/media/hdd/music
- DHCP server with providing IP's on internal interface in range of 192.168.2.100 192.168.2.254
- Local nameserver on internal interface.
- Strong iptables firewall.
- And more :)

You need to flash and boot the image, go through normal setup process and at the end go to settings > network "LAN connection" please note, do not reconfigure LAN connection 2!
There set the pubic IP address.

Reboot the VU+ Solo4K device and all should be set.

If you want, you can change the WiFI name and password by editing the /etc/hostapd.conf first two lines and reboot.

Please test and let me know if you find any issue.

Best regards,

Marc