Go Back   Sat Universe > Off Topic > PC Section > Chat > Linux Chat

Note: Visitors from certain countries might see in-text advertising(underlind words in posts) or pop-under ads.
It is only shown to unregistered visitors or members that haven't made any posts. So you can easily get rid of it.

World-Of-Satellite

Best Linux OS

Linux Chat

Old 27-12-2021, 15:43  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian
Linux advisor

Default Best Linux OS

This is something you need to studdy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me2019H View Post
hello cayoenrique
i will change from Win to linux thanks to your lessons that showed how easy to break encryption...
Changing from Win to Linux, was a MUST for me. We can open a thread on PC section for that. In general I think that people are lost. Most do what they are told or because is what everyone else do. When in fact we should do what we personally want.

Be smart, Linux is also loosing the correct way. And if you want to feel secure in banking or personal files, you may have to go with the latest like everyone else.

Now if you are like me where 99% of my PC time has nothing to do with banking or personal stuff. Then you wand an OS that is fast and do ONLY what we want. See security is a second thing. For this reasons I like to use a stable but old kernel like 4.9 and Debian. And I like my OS without systemd. Too controlling. So my choice is a form of Debian Buster. And I like it to be frugal install. In frugal the OS is read only and the changes with our personal files are ins a Save partition. This make backups/recovery in about 3-5 minutes.

This is my personal choise BusterDog, See:
Code:
https://github.com/DebianDog/BusterDog/blob/master/README.md#busterdog--build-system
To try it without installation just download
Code:
https://github.com/DebianDog/BusterDog/releases/download/v0.1/BusterDog-openbox_jwm-2020-09-07_64-bit-UEFI.iso
In my case I do not like all those extras. Those none needed extras in my menu confuse me. I like to see Only what I like. So I build mine only with what I like.

Now for my preference I use their Build system.
Code:
https://debiandog.github.io/MakeLive/Readme-build-busterdog.html
So I run mklive-buster64.

Last if not all, I create a Wine.squashfs. This allows me to have the capability to run any( most ) windows application that I like in windows. lets say transedit.

Listen, start by downloading and trying by booting from CD-Rom.
Code:
https://github.com/DebianDog/BusterDog/releases/download/v0.1/BusterDog-openbox_jwm-2020-09-07_64-bit-UEFI.iso
Not all PC are capable to boot in what they called none-secure mode. Witch is a false name to say that is Windows ONLY PC. Yes, it is secure for Windows not really you.

Once you know you can boot in none-secure, then next step is to try it to boot from USB. In this way your Windows PC is your default and you boot from USB when you want Linux.

In the future when you are ready for the Linux move, then you can install it in your PC as the main OS. But Linux can be overwhelm. You need at least 6 month of trying before you can definitely move to Linux.

==================================
Now last. Lets say you have a broken PC even without HDD. You think it worth nothing. You are wrong. With this Frugal install, you can revive any old PC/Laptop. You do not need HDD just boot from USB and you have a perfectly working PC fro you projects that have nothing to do with your regular Windows PC.

See!!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cayoenrique For This Useful Post:
dray1 (31-12-2021), foto (27-12-2021), ig0r (30-12-2021), Me2019H (27-12-2021)
Old 27-12-2021, 21:16  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

hello,
i have nothing in my Pc let's the hackers come
if i want to save my files or programs i put them in external hdd and i use them offline.

i run BusterDog with VirtualBox

Now I'm going to Encryption Learning to practice and trying to understand the satellite decription

i can't build my BusterDog like you i don't have any experience
Old 28-12-2021, 00:34  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian
Linux advisor

Virtual box is fine as a starting point. It will be slower. But it is safer if you are in fact new.

Now if you have 0 experience why you said originally that wanted to move away from Windows? It is not easy to adapt to Linux from Windows. That is a fact. So 1rts you need to try Linux, learn its basic functions and how to navigate.

In my case I use Linux at work, then as a hobby in small server running on $20 USD routers. I also run many small programs on rooted Android phones.

When win7 came up I started getting upset, but it was acceptable. But once came Win8 I say no way. Then came the announcement of retiring Win7 and I decided I will not be force on it. So I moved to Ubuntu. Ubuntu started to behave like Windows. Constant updates, you where force to add them or if not you get the constant detecting malfunction.!! Then Linux adapted systemd, and my own projects start having issues and falling. It is to powerful and controlling. I spent more time finding how to overcome systemd than managing my servers or programs. So I search for a more relax Linux. I found Puppy Linux that point me to DebianDogs. And I selected the latest LTS at the time was Buster.

Upss I just remember. As is, BusterDog log you as root. It is a security philosophy learned from Puppy Linux. In general If you are single seated meaning you are the only user in your PC. The running as root is considered acceptable. From who are you protecting? From your self!! There exception like browsers. To run browsers under jail system I use firejail.

Now to be honest I run in two mode. A Busterdog I run as user when connected at web like now. And I run a different Busterdog that I run as root most of the time while working on my projects.

My Busterdog system is about 3 GB in size. In a 500 GB disk I can have 100-1000 of different Linux OS running in frugal mode if I need.

Listen for PC help lets stay here in the PC area. For help in encryption then ask in Encryption Chat.
The Following User Says Thank You to cayoenrique For This Useful Post:
Me2019H (28-12-2021)
Old 28-12-2021, 20:40  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

thank you for your advice
learning take time but things will get better
Old 29-12-2021, 14:16  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian
Linux advisor

I will be here. I do not know if you notice. I am no real Linux expert but I love to help others understand the advantages of Linux.

And to show others the MS philosophy of security is wrong. This constant updates that we as users have no control or understanding is been miss used. And to me and others represent a Real Security hazard it self. A hacker could potentially submit to our PC a new hazard, Proceed with the collection of data, then clean it self just to let no traces of it. And all piggyback on an update.

Any way I will always be around was nice to chat with you.

Last edited by cayoenrique; 29-12-2021 at 14:18..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cayoenrique For This Useful Post:
ig0r (30-12-2021), Me2019H (29-12-2021)
Old 30-12-2021, 23:04  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

hello cayoenrique ,

when i execute the ccommand

[email protected]:~# sudo apt install build-essential fakeroot git mercurial subversion diff make autoconf autoreconf automake libtool yad geany

I have this error
E: Package 'diff' has no installation candidate
E: Unable to locate package autoreconf
Old 30-12-2021, 23:06  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Thanked 21,669 Times in 5,490 Posts

Hello, maybe you can recommend an OS for an old laptop (2gb ram and 1 GHz proc radeon)
OpenFox (30-12-2021)
Old 30-12-2021, 23:12  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Thanked 7,461 Times in 1,547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ig0r View Post
Hello, maybe you can recommend an OS for an old laptop (2gb ram and 1 GHz proc radeon)
try Puppy Linux
cayoenrique (31-12-2021), ig0r (02-01-2022)
Old 31-12-2021, 01:30  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian
Linux advisor

ig0r
radeon is the GPU.

To get CPU and MEM & GPU Info do:
Code:
#: lscpu
#: lsmem
#: lspci
I have a filling Since you have a radeon GPU, your CPU should have acceptable characteristics.

Yes Puppy Linux is your friend for all CPU and Low ram. In fact Busterdog the one I suggest previously, is from the family of Debiandog. Witch to catch up all the goodness of Puppy Linux.

Now let may clarify something. Old PC should handle most daily use requirements. Never the less Low Ram means that new Browsers will not run or run very slow. If video is involved you will have slow PC too.
Let me give you a sample: Youtube will be almost impossible to work.
But Browsing this forum will be of no problem.

Security Updates.
If you are a guy that give REAL importance to Security Updates the Old PC are not your thing.

But my point is: Be willing to forget on Security Updates and high requirements of current browsers. Do those things on your New PC.
Then use this Old PC for your Daily work or to Test new Ideas. It will work just fine.

Puppy Linux is ok. But for old PC my choice is to run the lowest Debian that still works.
If you go to:
Code:
https://wiki.debian.org/LTS
You can see that strech is still LTS
Version support architecture schedule
Debian 9 “Stretch” i386, amd64, armel, armhf and arm64 July 6, 2020 to June 30, 2022

Now It is possible to run even oldest versions. But you will not have security updates.

Another thing I prefer, on old PC try to stay with i686. There are CPU that do not like AMD64.
AMD64 is only needed if you want to use more than 4GB. But you said you have only 2GB. i686 will be fine.

Lets say I convince you on Debiandogs. then try:
Code:
https://github.com/fredx181/StretchDog/releases/download/v2.0/StretchDog32-openbox_xfce-jwm-2017-10-10.iso
from
https://debiandog.github.io/doglinux/zz02stretchdog.html
Look in the Left panel. There are choices for the rest old and new ones.

CDroms are slow starting. But I suggest you try it. I prefer on a USB better. Then you can see how the OS operates. In the future you will know if that is for you. Then commit it to the HDD.

Last edited by cayoenrique; 31-12-2021 at 01:57..
ig0r (02-01-2022)
Old 31-12-2021, 01:53  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian
Linux advisor

@Me2019H
Names keep changing and also depend on OS. Must likely you do not need them. But in Buster I think this are ok

Code:
sudo apt install build-essential fakeroot git mercurial subversion diffutils make autoconf autotools-dev automake libtool yad geany binutils
Me2019H (31-12-2021)