Latest NFL News

sky star 2

Super VIP
VIKINGS ADMIT FAVRE INTEREST

Minnesota Vikings president Mark Wilf has broken the team's silence on Brett Favre to confirm there is interest in signing the Hall of Fame-bound quarterback.

The Vikings have been consistently linked with Favre since he secured his release from the New York Jets, despite the quarterback saying he is now retired.

However, the team had not commented until Wilf addressed reporters on Monday at a community event in Marshall, Minnesota.

"Certainly a player of Brett Favre's (credentials), a Hall of Fame quarterback, with the competitive (drive) he has, that is a player that we would have interest (in), as we would have (for) other players," Wilf said in comments reported by the St Paul Pioneer Press.

"But, again, it's (a) process of evaluation and a variety of factors that go into it, and that has to play itself out, and I defer to our coach and our personnel people to really evaluate those issues."

Wilf added that he was not aware that any member of the team's front office or coaching staff has, as yet, met with Favre.

"But, the fact is, like I say, any football personnel matters, medical matters, those types of issues, are really issues that we don't typically discuss publicly," he added.

"And I hope the fans and the media can appreciate that because that's the right way, we feel, to get the best product on the field and get our ultimate goal of a Super Bowl championship."

Favre, a three-time NFL Most Valuable Player, officially retired in February.

The 39-year-old walked away from the game having made a league-record 269 consecutive starts. He completed his career as the NFL's all-time leader in touchdowns (464), completions (5,720), attempts (9,281), yards (65,127), wins (169) and interceptions (310).

At the time of Favre's announcement, Vikings owner Zygi Wilf insisted he had no interest in signing Favre, insisting he was "done".

However, Favre has already come out of retirement once, calling an end to his career with the Green Bay Packers last off-season before changing his mind to sign with the Jets.

sky star 2

Super VIP
NFL CONSIDER SECOND UK GAME

National Football League commissioner Roger Goodell has confirmed a second regular season game to be held in the United Kingdom is being considered.

The NFL has held two sell-out regular season games in London as the New York Giants defeated the Miami Dolphins 13-10 in 2007 before the New Orleans Saints defeated the San Diego Chargers 37-32 last year.

The New England Patriots are scheduled to play the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on October 25 at Wembley.

As a result of the success, Goodell admitted the NFL are keen to hold a second overseas game for the 2010 season in either London or somewhere else in the United Kingdom.

"The fan reaction we've had in London has been extraordinary. We would like to feed that passion," Goodell said after speaking at the Charlotte Touchdown Club in Charlotte.

"We have a great fan base in the UK. That's something that we'll evaluate."

sky star 2

Super VIP
JACKSON COMMITS TO BILLS

The Buffalo Bills and running back Fred Jackson have agreed to terms on a four-year extension to his contract.

As an exclusive rights free agent, Jackson was not able to negotiate with any other team. He would have had to play under the terms of a minimum contract offer which was already on the table, had a new deal not been agreed.

The Forth Worth native joined Buffalo in the team's practice squad in September 2006.

The three-year veteran has played in 24 career games, making four starts. He set a career-high with 571 rushing yards on 130 carries, including three touchdowns and added 37 catches for 317 yards last year.

He is expected to start the first three games of this year while Marshawn Lynch serves a three-match NFL suspension.

sky star 2

Super VIP
TAYLOR RETURNS TO MIAMI

Jason Taylor has agreed a one-year, US$1.1million deal to return to the Miami Dolphins.

The move will see Taylor pocket US$7million less than he would have earned this year with the Washington Redskins, but allows him to stay at his Miami home with his wife and three children.

"My heart has always been in Miami and so I'm truly excited to call myself a Dolphin once again," Taylor said in a statement.

"I was presented with a number of different opportunities, but in the end the combination of this being the best situation for my family, my love for this community and my tremendous loyalty to a great organisation made this an easy decision."

Taylor was traded to Washington last July after 11 years with the Dolphins, who were angered by his decision to skip off-season training in order to compete on ABC's 'Dancing with the Stars'.

The 34-year-old was scheduled to make US$8million in 2009 under his Washington contract, which the Redskins were attempting to restructure.

But after Taylor declined a new off-season workout clause, the Redskins parted ways with the six-time Pro Bowl defensive end in March.

sky star 2

Super VIP
WILSON PENS FIVE-YEAR CARDINALS DEAL

Adrian Wilson has signed a new five-year contract with Arizona Cardinals which is set to see the two-time Pro Bowl safety end his career in Phoenix.

Heading into his ninth season, the 29-year-old is set to earn $18.5 million in guaranteed money and potentially around $37 million overall.

Wilson, who was set to become a free agent after the 2009 season, was named to his second Pro Bowl in 2008 after helping lead the Cardinals to a surprise Super Bowl appearance.

"Every line sweep, every stroke of the pen when you sign your name, you think of the players that have been here and left, or the opportunities you left on the field, some of the bad games you have been in, Sun Devil Stadium, whatever you can name, I've thought about it," Wilson said. "It's been a long time, and I think I've witnessed more than a lot of players have just from the standpoint of building a team."

Wilson has 18 career interceptions and 18 1/2 sacks and is looking to join only eight other players with at least 20 interceptions and 20 sacks and also potentially reach 30 interceptions and 30 sacks.

"Every time I step on the field at the stadium, I look up at the names on the Ring of Honour and I always say, 'One day, I want my number up there,"' Wilson said. "I want my number up there next to Aeneas (Williams). I want my number next to Pat (Tillman). It's about making a legacy here."

sky star 2

Super VIP
SAFETY HARRISON RETIRES

Two-time Pro Bowl safety Rodney Harrison has announced his retirement.

Harrison, 36, has spent 15 years in the NFL with the New England Patriots and San Diego Chargers, and walks away from the game as the owner of the league record for defensive backs with 30 1/2 sacks.

He also has 34 interceptions, making him the only player to have at least 30 of each.

Known as a tremendously hard hitter, and sometimes a dirty one, Harrison will not be missed by opposing players in the league.

"I am done, and I am very much so at peace with that," Harrison said. "Football has been good to me. I've worked hard. I've played hard. I've done some things that I never dreamt I could do, and now it's time to move forward to the next phase of my life."

Harrison will now move into the media as a television analyst.

Pats coach Bill Belichick praised Harrison, who helped New England win two Super Bowls.

"In the biggest games, in any situation and on a weekly basis, his production was phenomenal," Belichick said.

"Rodney embodies all the attributes coaches seek and appreciate: toughness, competitiveness, leadership, selflessness, hard work, intensity, professionalism - and coming from Rodney, they are contagious."

sky star 2

Super VIP
BRADY IN BUOYANT MOOD

New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady is feeling good after returning to practice this week following knee surgery.

Brady missed all but a few minutes of the 2008 season when he was hurt in the opening quarter of the Patriots' game against the Kansas City Chiefs, and underwent two operations to repair torn ligaments.

He returned to practice on Tuesday and reported no problems other than the usual pre-season rust.

"The throwing is not the problem at all," Brady said.

"At this point it's just about getting back to the football activities. I'm doing the football activities not just for my leg but more for the rest of me.

"My body feels really good, my arm feels good. I'm not completing as many passes as I want but we've not been out here very long."

The three-time Super Bowl winner is key to the Patriots re-establishing themselves as a dominant force in the AFC East after they failed to make the play-offs last season.

After Brady's injury, Matt Cassel stepped in but the Pats finished 11-5 and Cassel has since been traded to Kansas City.

Brady revealed that he was excited to be back in action after the long, hard months of rehabilitation.

"It's about staying positive but you've got to do the rehab," he said. "Nobody likes to do rehab but I'm glad we're back into the football stuff, throwing the ball on the field, that's the stuff that I enjoy the most.

"There's a lot of rust, I think for all of us after four months off, but everyone realises when you come back from four months off there's a lot of work for us to do."

sky star 2

Super VIP
NEW ORLEANS GET 2013 SUPER BOWL

The city of New Orleans will host the Super Bowl in 2013, NFL owners decided.

It will be the 10th time the Louisiana city has hosted the league's marquee event, but perhaps the most significant as it will be the first since Hurricane Katrina devastated the city in 2005.

New Orleans was picked ahead of Glendale and Miami by owners at meetings in Fort Lauderdale.

"This is a great accomplishment for New Orleans, and the significance of bringing the Super Bowl to our city and region can't be overstated," said New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson, who spearheaded the bid.

"From every perspective, this shows that our city is on the rise, viable and thriving, and I have great faith in what we can accomplish and the impact it will have, starting today.

"This is my hometown, and maybe we don't need to talk about New Orleans being on the way back anymore. New Orleans is back, and today is proof."

The decision comes less than a month after the Saints signed a new long-term lease with the Superdome, making it double commitment from the league to the city.

That agreement, reached on May 1, was pivotal in making the Crescent City a viable candidate as it paves the way for US$85million worth of renovation work on the Superdome to be undertaken.

The dome is due to be expanded to 70,000 seats with a number of new facilities added, and a new 'sports district' constructed outside.

The economic impact of hosting a Super Bowl is estimated to be in the region of 300 million dollars, a sum that will help New Orleans' recovery enormously. Organisers also hope to boost tourism in the long term through the huge exposure the event guarantees.

Miami will host the 2010 Super Bowl, with the new Dallas Cowboys stadium in Arlington and Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis in line for the 2011 and 2012 events respectively.

sky star 2

Super VIP
SANCHEZ SIGNS JETS CONTRACT

Rookie quarterback Mark Sanchez has signed a five-year $50m deal with the New York Jets.

The contract could be worth as much as $60m to the former USC playcaller but $28m comes as guaranteed money.

"This is just the beginning," Sanchez told NFL.com.. "I'll be working every day to justify this contract."

Sanchez will battle for the starting role in the Big Apple with Kellen Clemens following the release of Brett Favre at the end of the 2008 campaign which saw them finish third in the AFC East with a 9-7 record.

Sanchez is just the second first-round pick from April's draft to sign with his new team - top pick Matthew Stafford has inked a $78m contract with the Detroit Lions.

sky star 2

Super VIP
FALCONS DROP VICK

The Atlanta Falcons have formally released quarterback Michael Vick, ending a chapter in franchise history while opening one door on a potential NFL return for the former Pro Bowler.

Vick remains in home confinement in Hampton, Virginia as he serves out the remainder of his sentence for involvement in an illegal dogfighting ring.

Prior to his conviction in August 2007, Vick was the highest paid player in the NFL as he was in the middle of a 10-year, $140million contract with the Falcons.

If he is to return to the NFL, he must first gain reinstatement from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, who indefinitely suspended him after he pleaded guilty to charges relating to the dogfighting ring.

"The Atlanta Falcons relinquished their contractual rights to quarterback Michael Vick," read a team statement.

"Michael remains suspended by the NFL. However, in the event NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell decides to reinstate Michael, we feel his best opportunity to re-engage his football career would be at another club.

"Our entire organisation sincerely hopes that Michael will continue to focus his efforts on making positive changes in his life, and we wish him well in that regard."

Vick was drafted by the Falcons in 2001 and played six seasons with the team, establishing himself as one of the most dynamic forces in the league.

With both a powerful throwing arm and running speed, Vick is a three-time Pro Bowl selection in his career to date.

The 28-year-old has thrown for 11,505 yards and 71 touchdowns, while rushing for a further 3,859 yards and 21 TDs.

sky star 2

Super VIP
BURRESS CASE ADJOURNED

A judge has adjourned the weapons possession case against former New York Giants receiver Plaxico Burress until September.

Burress appeared in court in New York, facing charges of criminal possession of a handgun stemming from an incident when he accidentally shot himself in the leg in a Manhattan nightclub in November.

The charges carry a mandatory sentence of three and a half years in prison. The case will now be heard on September 23.

Burress, who is free on bail after pleading not guilty, is still hopeful of playing in the NFL this coming season.

Speaking on Sunday night on Miami TV station WSVN, Burress' agent Drew Rosenhaus said he hoped Burress "will be able to play unobstructed" this year as the legal case could take until 2010 to resolve.

"In talking to (attorney Benjamin Brafman), his feeling is that a trial is not going to take place until after the season," Rosenhaus said.

"He believes that after all these delays - again, Plax hasn't been indicted yet, either - it's going to be a very lengthy process to get to trial, and that will take place after the season.

"Our hope is, based on this information, that he will be able to play unobstructed this year, without having a trial, and he can get a season in and then deal with the legal issues after the season. This is the hope, and this what I'm communicating to the rest of the NFL teams."

The NFL could also choose to suspend Burress, but has not made any announcement as yet.

Burress, who was a member of New York's Super Bowl winning team in the 2007 season, was cut by the Giants in the wake of the nightclub incident.

The 31-year-old has caught 505 passes for 7,845 yards and 55 touchdowns in nine seasons, splitting that time between the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Giants.

sky star 2

Super VIP
STALLWORTH FACES JAIL TERM

Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte Stallworth has been sentenced to 30 days in jail after pleading guilty to manslaughter while driving under the influence of alcohol.

Sacramento-born Stallworth faced up to 15 years in jail after originally pleading not guilty to the charge on June 4 but a reported plea agreement will mean the 28-year-old spends 10 years on probation - two of which must be served under house arrest - following his release.

According to the Miami Herald newspaper, Stallworth will also undertake 1,000 hours of community service and will lose his driving privileges for life.

Stallworth struck and killed 59-year-old Mario Reyes on March 14 as he was driving home from a night spent drinking in the bar of Miami Beach's Fountainebleau hotel. Court documents revealed Stallworth's blood alcohol level at the time of the incident was .126, significantly higher than Florida's legal limit of .08.

"I accept full responsibility for this horrible tragedy," Stallworth said in quotes reported on nfl.com.

"I will bear this burden for the rest of my life."

After being released by the New England Patriots in February 2008, Stallworth joined the Browns where he caught a career-low 17 passes for 170 yards with a touchdown in 11 games last season.

sky star 2

Super VIP
PACE BANNED FOR FOUR GAMES

New York Jets linebacker Calvin Pace has been suspended for the first four games of the 2009 NFL regular season for violating the league's performance-enhancing substance policy, a report revealed on ESPN.com.

In a statement released by the Jets, Pace said the suspension stemmed from his use of an over-the-counter dietary supplement - which he did not identify - that contained a substance he did not know violated the policy.

"I am responsible for what I put into my body and I should have paid closer attention to the League's guidelines. I regret that this has happened and apologize to my teammates, the entire Jets organization as well as the fans," Pace said.

"Hopefully, this does not distract from our ultimate goal of winning the Super Bowl."

The Jets said they respected the league's decision and looked forward to Pace's return for their Monday night game against the Miami Dolphins in Week 5.

sky star 2

Super VIP
FISHER STUNNED BY McNAIR DEATH

Tennessee Titans head coach Jeff Fisher was at a loss for words following the murder of former quarterback Steve McNair in Nashville on Saturday.

Detectives in the Tennessee city officially classified 36-year-old McNair's fatal shooting at his apartment as a homicide. His body was found alongside that of 20-year-old waitress Sahel Kazemi, who he had been ******.

Fisher coached the 2003 NFL co-MVP for 10 years between 1995 and 2005 and saw the quarterback lead his team to Super Bowl XXXIV in January 2000, the Titans single appearance in the NFL championship game.

"I am deeply saddened and at this point do not have the words to describe this loss," Fisher told The Tennessean newspaper while making his way home from an NFL visit to US troops in Iraq.

"It is an extremely emotional moment and I don't have the words to explain how I am feeling.

"I ask people to please pray for (McNair's widow) Mechelle and the entire McNair family. This is a tragic moment for his family, and it is a tragic moment for anyone who knew and loved Steve."

Fisher had been given the news of the shooting by McNair's long-time team-mate Eddie George.

"This is so emotional for me, and for everyone," Fisher said. "I will be better prepared to share my thoughts and feelings and hope to put this into perspective when I return."

Metro Nashville Police Department held a news conference in the city on Sunday at which spokesman Don Aaron said detectives were treating McNair's death as a homicide case but could not say the same for the female victim Kazemi.

He also revealed the victims had been ****** for several months.

"Autopsies performed today on Steve McNair and Sahel Kazemi show that McNair was shot four times, twice in the head and twice in the chest, and that Kazemi sustained a single gunshot wound to the head," Aaron said in a prepared statement.

"A semi-automatic pistol was discovered at the scene underneath Kazemi's body. There was no sign of forced entry into the condominium.

"It is believed McNair and Kazemi died early Saturday morning, hours before they were discovered on Saturday afternoon.

"Detectives have been told that McNair and Kazemi had been in a ****** relationship for the past several months.

"While it is clear McNair's death is a homicide, the police department is not classifying Kazemi's death pending further investigation and interviews with persons who knew her and McNair."

Aaron added that detectives were set to interview staff members at two nightclubs visited by McNair on Friday night and early Saturday.

sky star 2

Super VIP
FISHER STUNNED BY McNAIR DEATH

Tennessee Titans head coach Jeff Fisher was at a loss for words following the murder of former quarterback Steve McNair in Nashville on Saturday.

Detectives in the Tennessee city officially classified 36-year-old McNair's fatal shooting at his apartment as a homicide. His body was found alongside that of 20-year-old waitress Sahel Kazemi, who he had been ******.

Fisher coached the 2003 NFL co-MVP for 10 years between 1995 and 2005 and saw the quarterback lead his team to Super Bowl XXXIV in January 2000, the Titans single appearance in the NFL championship game.

"I am deeply saddened and at this point do not have the words to describe this loss," Fisher told The Tennessean newspaper while making his way home from an NFL visit to US troops in Iraq.

"It is an extremely emotional moment and I don't have the words to explain how I am feeling.

"I ask people to please pray for (McNair's widow) Mechelle and the entire McNair family. This is a tragic moment for his family, and it is a tragic moment for anyone who knew and loved Steve."

Fisher had been given the news of the shooting by McNair's long-time team-mate Eddie George.

"This is so emotional for me, and for everyone," Fisher said. "I will be better prepared to share my thoughts and feelings and hope to put this into perspective when I return."

Metro Nashville Police Department held a news conference in the city on Sunday at which spokesman Don Aaron said detectives were treating McNair's death as a homicide case but could not say the same for the female victim Kazemi.

He also revealed the victims had been ****** for several months.

"Autopsies performed today on Steve McNair and Sahel Kazemi show that McNair was shot four times, twice in the head and twice in the chest, and that Kazemi sustained a single gunshot wound to the head," Aaron said in a prepared statement.

"A semi-automatic pistol was discovered at the scene underneath Kazemi's body. There was no sign of forced entry into the condominium.

"It is believed McNair and Kazemi died early Saturday morning, hours before they were discovered on Saturday afternoon.

"Detectives have been told that McNair and Kazemi had been in a ****** relationship for the past several months.

"While it is clear McNair's death is a homicide, the police department is not classifying Kazemi's death pending further investigation and interviews with persons who knew her and McNair."

Aaron added that detectives were set to interview staff members at two nightclubs visited by McNair on Friday night and early Saturday.