Latest Premier League News

sky star 2

Super VIP
Wenger - Defence must improve
Gunners boss recognises need to reinforce rearguard

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger admits that he wants to improve his side's defence over the summer.

The Gunners conceded 37 goals as they finished fourth in the Premier League in 2008/09, 18 points behind champions Manchester United.

And Wenger - who is in Beijing while evaluating Chinese players - recognises his young team need to improve at the back if they are to end a four-year trophy drought.

"The last season was very interesting because we had a sloppy start and then we became stronger and stronger," said the Frenchman.

"It has been interesting as well because it is a very young team, but they have been tested mentally.

"The defensive record, that is an area that we want to work on and that we want to improve."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Kaka close to deciding future
Milan midfielder expected to announce future on Monday

Brazil superstar Kaka has announced that he will make his decision on whether to join Real Madrid or stay at AC Milan in the near future.

The 27-year-old was speaking after he had helped Brazil to a comfortable 4-0 World Cup qualifying win in Uruguay and is said to be ready to reveal his plans for the future on Monday.

Zinedine Zidane, now an advisor to Real Madrid, stated last week that a deal to bring the former World Player of the Year to the Bernabeu was all but done, however, Milan are set to hold talks with their star man on Monday at the latest.

Owner Silvio Berlusconi will sit down with the player and his father in what is seen as the last chance to persuade the Brazilian to stay at the San Siro.

Berlusconi and Milan will cling to the fact that Kaka rejected the lure of Manchester City in January, but many expect the former Sao Paulo youngster to join the new regime at Real under president Florentino Perez.

"I will speak about my future soon," he told the South American media. "In the right moment I will speak about it."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Wigan receive Valencia bids
United and Real table offers in excess of £16million

The Ecuadorian winger has long been linked with the two European giants and it is now reported that the pair have tabled offers.

United are searching for creativity after big-money signing Nani has failed to live up to expectations and Valencia is said to have impressed boss Sir Alex Ferguson.

Real are desperate to overthrow Spanish and continental champions Barcelona and the 23-year-old was thought to be close to a move in the winter transfer window.

A switch failed to materialise, but it is now understood that newly-elected president Florentino Perez, who has pledged a return to the dazzling days of star signings from his first spell at the Bernabeu, is ready to test Wigan's resolve.

Valencia joined Wigan in 2006 in a loan move from Recreativo de Huelva and the deal was made permanent in January 2008.

The Latics are currently without a manager following Steve Bruce's move to Sunderland, but Roberto Martinez is expected to be unveiled as successor on Wednesday.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Hull table bid for Campbell
Tigers have made offer for United striker

Hull City have confirmed that they have had a bid accepted for Manchester United youngster Fraizer Campbell.

The Tigers have been expected to make a move for the striker, while fellow Premier League sides Sunderland, Stoke City and Fulham are also understood to be admirers.

The 21-year-old spent seven months on loan at the KC Stadium in October 2007, where his 15 goals helped Phil Brown's men achieve promotion to the top flight.

And Hull have now said that United have granted them permission to open talks with Campbell following an offer which is believed to be in the region of £6million.
High level

"Following reports in the media this weekend, the club can confirm that it has had an offer accepted by Manchester United for striker Fraizer Campbell," read a statement on the club's official website.

"Consequently, the club has been given permission to open talks with Campbell."

Despite his successful loan stint, the England Under 21 international rejected the chance to join the Tigers on a permanent deal last summer, opting instead to go on loan to Tottenham as part of the deal which saw Dimitar Berbatov move to Old Trafford.

But chances were few and far between at Spurs, with manager Harry Redknapp handing the striker just one Premier League start.

The Red Devils ace still proved he could cut it at the highest level when he fired a brace to knock Liverpool out of the Carling Cup at White Hart Lane back in November.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Moyes rules out Everton sales
Toffees' boss insists he won't be forced to sell his top stars

David Moyes has ruled out the possibility of selling any of Everton's top stars this summer.

The Toffees boss is not expected to have too much money to spend over the coming months as he looks to build on last season's fifth-placed finish.

The Scot's job is set to be made even tougher with clubs around him ready to splash the cash in a bid to close the gap on the top four.

But despite the lack of funds at Goodison Park Moyes is adamant that selling his big-name players in a bid to raise cash is not an option.

Moyes has already seen defender Joleon Lescott linked with a move to rivals Manchester City while midfielder Tim Cahill's name has also been mentioned as a possible transfer target for other clubs.

"People are always going to be linked with your good players, and they might see Everton as not having that much finance, but there's no way we'll be letting any of our players leave," he told Sportsweek.

"The chairman's said that and I've made it clear. Everyone is under contract. The one thing we've got at Everton is stability with our players.
Don't need the money

"They are all under long-term contracts and we don't need the money.

"I'd like money to spend, but I won't be giving up any of my players to raise that money."

The former Preston boss also stated that he preferred to work at a club that was careful with their money rather than a team that spent big on players.

"I feel the way we've done it where we've had to build and work with players and make them better, and juggle one or two a little bit, I think that gives you more pleasure than going out and buying the finished article," he added.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Bruce relishing challenge
Sunderland boss says time is right

Steve Bruce has insisted that it is the right time for him to take on the challenge of being Sunderland boss.

Bruce began his managerial career at Sheffield United in 1998 before having stints in charge of Huddersfield, Wigan, Crystal Palace and Birmingham.

He returned to Wigan in November 2007 and enjoyed considerable success, but has now taken the helm of a club with a huge fanbase and high expectations.

Bruce believes he is now ready for such a role and is confident he can help the Black Cats move forward.

"It doesn't frighten me," he said "I think it's the right time for me. I've done 10 years and in my early days it was very, very difficult when it wasn't quite what was written in the brochure and I struggled with that.
Experience

"But over the years I've been able to get a bit of experience and I think this is the right time for me to take on this challenge. I've done over 500 games now so it's the right time.

"I know how difficult it is, especially in the Premier League, and I do believe you become better with experience so that will stand me in good stead."

Bruce accepts that it will be a different experience to work in front of the packed stands of the Stadium of Light, but he does not plan to change his approach.

"You've got to manage people," he explained.

"You can have big stadiums and big support, but it's what goes over the white line for you and at Wigan, particularly before Christmas and we had to break the team up, we might not have had the biggest support or the biggest of stadiums or training grounds, but my God we had an unbelievably good team and that's what I want to create again."

Quinn

Chairman Niall Quinn has expressed his delight at appointing Bruce, although he has revealed that he was not a big fan of his new colleague during their playing days.

"He used to get away with murder because he was a little centre-half," former Manchester City man Quinn said of ex-Manchester United defender Bruce.

"It would be fair to say that when you're a blue with a No.9 on your back and you're being marked with by a red in Manchester with a No.4 on his back, I would be lying if I said I respected him - I didn't like him.

"That's not a slight because he was so tough, he made life so awkward for you."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Wenger wary of City threat
Gunners manager recognises top-four place is under threat

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger fears his side's place in the top four of the Premier League could be under threat from Manchester City next season.

The Gunners grabbed the last qualifying spot for the UEFA Champions League in 2008/09, but their manager is wary of the threat of money-rich City.

Mark Hughes' side, funded by the wealth of owner Sheikh Mansour, are expected to make a host of star signings this summer, with Carlos Tevez understood to be a main target.

And Wenger recognises that City could break into the Champions League places next season, while the Frenchman also believes Aston Villa and Tottenham will pose a threat.

"If Manchester City have a successful period in the buying, financial market, then they could climb to the top four," the Emirates Stadium chief told Sky Sports News.

"Aston Villa can get a bit closer. Then you have teams like Tottenham."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Drogba wants Ancelotti talks
Blues ace delays contract signing until he has spoken to new boss

Didier Drogba has insisted on speaking to new Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti before signing his new contract.

The striker has been in talks over a new extension for a number of weeks and was thought to be close to signing a three-year deal.

But the 31-year-old has halted negotiations, revealing that he wants Ancelotti to outline his plans for the Blues before he puts pen-to-paper.

The Ivory Coast international has seen his name linked with a move to join up with former Blues boss Jose Mourinho at Inter Milan on numerous occasions, while Manchester City has also been mentioned as a possible destination.

"I have read a lot things but I prefer to know first hand what plans he has and then decide what is best for me," he said in The People.
Good reports

Despite the persistent whispers, Drogba insists he is not looking for a new club and adds that he has heard only good things about the new manager.

"I have a contract with Chelsea and nobody has told me to look for another club," he added.

"My agents have had some informal contact with the club in the last few days. I want to talk with Ancelotti to find out what he really expects from me.

"I have heard some good reports about him. He is a big name coach who has won a lot of titles.

"They say he is a very open approachable manager and that is the style of coach that I like."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Torres confident over Reds
Spanish ace expects successful future

Fernando Torres insists the Liverpool squad expect success, despite continued speculation about the club's off-field problems.

The Reds owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett are experiencing much-publicised financial difficulties, sparking rumours about the future of star players at Anfield.

But Torres, who recently signed a long-term contract extension on Merseyside, has no doubts about where he wants to be playing.

And the Spain international believes the fact that the likes of Steven Gerrard, Dirk Kuyt and manager Rafa Benitez have also put pen-to-paper is a positive sign.

"There is nowhere else in Europe I want to be," the former Atletico Madrid ace said in the News of the World
Special

"I believe we are on the verge of something special here and I am delighted to commit my future to this club.

"You would not get top players signing new contracts if they did not think there were good times ahead. I expect many trophies for Liverpool in the years to come.

"The manager will know what he wants and what areas he wants to improve next season and whatever he decides we know it will be the right choice because all the players and staff here have total trust in him.

"Our aim has to be the best. If we have no desire to be the best in England and in Europe then there is no point even turning up for work."

Torres struggled with injuries in 2008/09 as Liverpool were eliminated at the quarter-final stage of the UEFA Champions League and finished runners-up to Manchester United in the Premier League.

Fitness problems

And the 25-year-old hopes that the Reds will be able to sample success next season, if fitness problems can be avoided.

He added: "We came very close this season and next season, with the experience we now have, we know we can go one better.

"Manchester United are very strong but we will improve and will have more about us next year.

"We were unlucky with injuries this season. I am not making excuses but things could have been different. The manager is building and I expect many trophies for Liverpool in the years to come."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Aguero admits Chelsea interest
Argentina star would relish Blues role

Atletico Madrid striker Sergio Aguero has hinted at a possible move to Chelsea.

The 21-year-old Argentina star admits he is flattered to be linked with a move to Stamford Bridge under new boss Carlo Ancelotti.

The Blues have been keeping an eye on Aguero and could make a move for the youngster should they fail to land targets Kaka or Alexandre Pato.

Aguero, himself, admits to being excited by the prospect of signing for such a high-profile club.

"It makes me feel proud a team as important as Chelsea notices me," he told People Sport.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Pompey reveal hijack claim
Rivals attempted to hijack takeover bid

It is reported that two high-profile clubs attempted to hijack Portsmouth's takeover by Dr Sulaiman Al-Fahim.

Third parties claiming to represent the interests of Newcastle United and West Ham approached Al-Fahim when hearing of his planned investment.

The billionaire property tycoon confirmed that he had been contacted by connections from both clubs when formal negotiations to buy Pompey had commenced.

Unfazed by such an approach, Al-Fahim insisted he would not be deterred and confirmed his planned investment will go ahead as planned.
Contact

"I was contacted by groups claiming to represent two major clubs, but I had no interest in walking away from Portsmouth," he told the Sunday Mirror.

"I went to meticulous lengths to find a club that suited my future needs and I have a moral obligation to see the deal through.

"Over the last 12 months I have been offered numerous opportunities to invest in English clubs, but everything felt right about the investment in Portsmouth.

Pompey chief executive chairman Peter Storie spoke to quash rumours of third party involvement, saying: "We are puzzled by inaccurate claims of third party involvement.

"There are no Middle East or Asian consortiums involved. It is being solely financed by Dr Al-Fahim."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Elano prepares for City exit
City midfielder wants reassurance he is still in Mark Hughes' plans

Elano has admitted he would be prepared to leave Manchester City if the club did not demonstrate a willingness to keep him.

The Brazilian international has not been shy to announce his unhappiness in recent months at not being a regular in manager Mark Hughes' starting XI.

The 27-year-old featured in 28 of the club's Premier League games in 2008/9, starting 21 but the midfielder believes he deserves a more important standing at the club.

With City certain to sign a whole host of renowned talent from around the world this summer Elano has already met with club officials to discuss his future to see if he is still in their plans.
Straight talking

"I had a meeting with the board and I asked about the signings they are going to make and whether there was still a place for me in the setup," he said.

"I just asked them to be straight with me. If I can renew my contract now, I'll stay. If not, I want to leave and look for another club."

Elano, who is currently on international duty with Brazil, has been linked with a move to Serie A champions Inter Milan but the former Santos ace refused to comment.

He said: "There are a number of things happening but now's not the moment to talk about this (because) I'm focused on Brazil."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Rio - Banter will numb pain
United ace says dressing room jokes will help beat Barca loss

Rio Ferdinand believes that the dressing-room banter at Manchester United will help him get over the pain of losing the UEFA Champions League final.

The Red Devils were left shell shocked with the way they easily succumbed to Barcelona in Rome two weeks ago but the 30-year-old insists the players will be helping each other get over the defeat.

The defender has lifted the lid on what goes on behind the scenes at Old Trafford revealing some unexpected pranksters.

The former West Ham youngster insists that no-one is spared the incessant training ground tricks, although he admitted that the players have to go easy on manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

"You don't go anywhere near the boss with proper banter," he told ChannelBee.com.
Clip round the ear

"But you might try and put the ball through his legs while he's walking around the changing room - and he'll give you a clip around the ear for doing it.

"But you wouldn't really cut his socks or shoes up because I think you would be on the next bus out of Manchester.

"At United we've got quite a few people who are into winding people up. Wayne Rooney's obviously one of the main culprits, he's involved at all stages of wind-up material.

"Wes Brown or Darren Fletcher are normally the butt of his jokes. Wes now has to check his trainers before he puts them on because they could be sewn in half or the laces are gone.

"Darren Fletcher has this really nice, clean image but in the changing room he is usually involved in stuff like that, usually people's phones going missing."

The England international highlights that not even current World Player of the Year Cristiano Ronaldo escapes the attentions of his team-mates.

"Ronaldo is quite a funny lad to be honest with you. People think, 'oh he's this and that' but Ronnie's got a good sense of humour," he added.

"If we start talking about his gear too much he gets a bit agitated so we hammer his gear, whether it's good or bad because we know that it gets to him."

Respect

But Ferdinand admits that there is one player who is never on the receiving end of anyone's jokes.

"We don't ever really touch anything on Scholesy (Paul Scholes). He's just too good a player and too nice a man," he said.

"You just don't go near Scholesy's stuff, simple as that. He's a living legend."

While Ferdinand also pointed out that another United legend made sure the younger players didn't get too confident.

"If a young kid is getting out of hand, Giggsy's (Ryan Giggs) the one with a little dry, sarcastic comment to make the lad go, 'oh, I'm a bit above my station here, I'll sit down and get back into my spot'," he concluded.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Hiddink - I'll be back
Russian honcho keen on top flight return

Guus Hiddink says he will return to the Premier League but not necessarily for Chelsea.

The Blues have asked Hiddink to consider a different role at Stamford Bridge as advisor to owner Roman Abramovich.

The Russian, though, believes his presence either as advisor or technical director will not help new boss Carlo Ancelotti.

He did, however, confess his desire to return to England's top flight in the not too distant future.

"I will be back," he told the Sunday Mirror.
Options

"Chelsea seem to be OK now as a club," he added. "Maybe they don't need me anymore!

"But my love for England and football in the Premier League has grown massively because of three-and-a-half beautiful months.

"I love the Premier League so much that I don't rule out other possibilities.

"I love being a coach again at club level. I enjoyed working with top-class players so much every day, that I realise it's nicer than a national team."

Hiddink admitted that his brief stint at Stamford Bridge exceeded expectations, saying: "Maybe I loved the job even more than I expected before I took it.

"In four months we have laid the foundations for the club and the players to carry on being successful."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Robbo backing for Big Sam
Goalkeeper expects stronger Blackburn next season

Paul Robinson expects Blackburn manager Sam Allardyce to conduct his business cleverly over the summer.

Roque Santa Cruz's future continues to be the subject of intense speculation, with the Paraguayan tipped to make a big-money move elsewhere.

Robinson is not prepared to dwell too much on the transfer talk surrounding his team-mate but is backing Allardyce to strengthen his squad considerably.

The Rovers boss may only have a lot of funds available if Santa Cruz leaves, but Robinson knows he is capable of wheeling and dealing to get a few good deals.

"It's not for us to speculate about Roque," the goalkeeper told the Lancashire Telegraph when asked if he hoped the striker might stay at Blackburn.
Clever

"It's a silly time when people are going here, there and everywhere.

"But one of the manager's qualities is in the transfer market.

"We're a club that's financially stable but we aren't able to throw millions of pounds left, right and centre.

"The manager's very good at knowing the type of player he wants and dealing in the market to get what he wants, so he'll do what's right for the team and the club.

"If we do lose Roque, I'm sure the manager will use the funds cleverly to improve the squad."

Predicament

Rovers became embroiled in a relegation battle for much of the 2008/9 campaign but Robinson insists he will approach the new season with a lot more confidence.

He said: "I think with the manager and coaching staff we've got here, I don't think we'll be in this predicament again. I think we'll be a lot higher up the table next year.

"I think next year with the manager we've got, his work ethics and what he wants from his team, I don't think you'll see us struggling in the bottom half of the league.

"Maybe he wasn't given enough time at Newcastle. He was only given six months. I think given time, as you'll see here, you'll see the club flourish next year."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Hammers sold to CB Holding
Upton Park outfit look to the future under new owners

West Ham United is under new ownership with asset management group CB Holding taking control of the Upton Park outfit.

Andrew Bernhardt, the majority shareholder in CB Holding, has been named as the new non-executive chairman of the Hammers.

Former owner and chairman Bjorgolfur Gudmundsson and his vice-chairman Asgeir Fridgeirsson have stepped down with immediate effect.

There had been concerns for the future of the club following the global economic crisis which crippled Gudmundsson's finances.

But with a sale to CB Holding, the majority of which is owned by Straumur-Burdaras Investment bank, now completed West Ham can look ahead with renewed optimism.

New chairman Bernhardt, a senior director with Straumur Bank, has already given his full backing to manager Gianfranco Zola and has pledged to provide funds to strengthen his squad over the summer.
Investment

Bernhardt told the club's official website: "We have one of the best young management partnerships in Gianfranco Zola and Steve Clarke and the team has evolved with a great mix of experience and young players coming through from the Academy.

"I can assure fans we will sanction investment in new players, but all within the parameters of sensible budgeting based on revenues generated by West Ham United.

"It will be my job to help facilitate this continued progress on the pitch, while ensuring the club's success is built on a strong financial footing.

"We have an initial two-year plan which includes improving the infrastructure at the club and we will be getting to work on this as soon as the new board is appointed."

Vision

West Ham's CEO Scott Duxbury, who will be remaining in his post, said: "I am delighted to say that West Ham United has been sold in an agreement that will secure the long-term future of this football club.

"Change is always unsettling, but I believe the new owners led by Andrew Bernhardt will bring stability to West Ham United and I hope all our staff and fans will join me in welcoming them to our club. At the same time, my best wishes and thanks go to Bjorgolfur Gudmundsson and Asgeir Fridgeirsson.

"This will allow us all to concentrate on next season and beyond, with Gianfranco Zola, technical director Gianluca Nani and I working to build on what we have achieved.

"We are all committed to a long-term vision. We are playing great football, have our Academy at the heart of the club and are looking to the past to move forward in the right way. I can assure all fans that I will never lose sight of this. I am determined to bring success to West Ham United."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Vermaelen 'heading to Gunners'
Ajax defender relishing Arsenal switch

Ajax defender Thomas Vermaelen has claimed he is poised to complete a move to Arsenal.

With Gunner boss Arsene Wenger admitting he needs to strengthen his defence over the summer, the Belgium international has been tipped as a likely target.

And a switch to Emirates Stadium could be completed before the end of the week, with the 23-year old confirming further discussions are due to take place.

Reports suggest a fee of around £11million has been agreed for Vermaelen, who can operate in the centre of defence or at left-back.
Challenge

Vermaelen told Dutch newspaper Algemeen Dagblad: "Moving to Arsenal is the right path for me.

"It is a great sporting challenge and I will also be financially better off. I think everything is going to be OK.

"In the coming days there will be more talks."

But Gunners legend Tony Adams has warned Wenger against splashing out on Vermaelen, who stands at 5ft 11ins.

Small one

Adams fears that the Frenchman's top target lacks the height required to dominate in the Premier League and believes he has been playing at an inferior level.

Adams told the Daily Mirror: "Thomas is a very good player but I don't think he's ready for the Arsenal.

"I don't think the punters at Arsenal would like another small one.

"I have been looking at the Dutch league, but it's been decimated. It's a poor league at the moment, there's one or two players, but they're leaving too early as well."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Prem trio chasing Scharner
Versatile midfielder interesting Spurs, Everton and Fulham

Wigan midfielder Paul Scharner says Tottenham, Everton and Fulham are all interested in signing him.

The versatile Austrian has two years left on his contract at the JJB Stadium but recently expressed his desire to leave to take the 'next step' in his career.

The 29-year-old told BZ am Sonntag that there is also interest from Bundesliga sides, but he would like to stay in the Premier League.

He said: "Tottenham, Everton and Fulham are interested in me, just like Hertha and Hamburg.

"I would prefer to stay in England."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Sevilla - Zokora price too high
But Monchi remains in pursuit of Spurs midfielder

Didier Zokora is on Sevilla's list of possible midfield reinforcements for the summer even though Tottenham's asking price is currently too high, according to Monchi.

The Andalucian outfit's sporting director is credited with being the architect of the club's success in recent years and he is planning another rebuilding project this year.

According to reports, Zokora is vital to that project as the club want a new central player with pace and power and Monchi admits that he is a fan of the Ivory Coast international.

One stumbling block that is preventing Sevilla from making their interest official though is Tottenham's reported £8million asking price.

"Zokora is a great player," AS quoted Monchi as saying. "I have followed him since we first saw him and could not pay for him.

"We know that we have to be realistic in this current economic climate.

"We cannot comment on everything that is published in newspapers, but we have the profile of the midfielders that we want."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Carew plays down City talk
Striker insists he is happy at Villa Park

John Carew has played down speculation linking him to Manchester City, insisting he is happy at Aston Villa.

City manager Mark Hughes is reportedly targeting the giant Norwegian striker following his £12million capture of Villa midfielder Gareth Barry.

But Carew, who has been Villa's top goalscorer for the last two seasons and netted 15 goals last term, insists he is happy at Villa Park.

He said: "There are always rumours when the window opens. One week it could be me, one week it could be Ashley Young or whoever.
So happy

"But I am so happy here. I love everyone here. I don't see any reason for anything else to happen.

"I know I am part of the manager's plans. Rumours that come up, we can't do anything about that. I am happy here. I can't see why I should move."

He added: "I am used to speculation. I have been in the game so many years. I take it as a compliment if clubs are looking at you but I don't relate to it at all. I am happy here.

"That is what is important for me. I have got the current games with the national team and then we are back in early July for pre-season training."