New PC windows 7 or 10

Dragonm

Registered
Thank you for your responses. :) I was hoping that someone could tell me why one was better than the other. :)

Gammal Gubbe

Registered
lol.. Let me help you. Windows 7 is the best operating system Microsoft has ever released. It has a wide range of support among 3rd party software and hardware. Windows 10 is quite new which means support of current hardware (printers, cameras, gadgets and so on) is small. It will gradually increase though.

If you have the option to choose Windows 7 I wouls say do that. Through Windows update you will get offer to update to Windows 10 (a small window will appear in lower right corner at the clock) - you can then update to Windows 10 at your convenience. Microsoft offers 1 year free upgrade from Windows 7 or 8 and that should expire autumn 2016 I believe. Hopefully support of Windows 10 will be greater then and the transition to Windows 10 more smoothly. If you do upgrade later on to Windows 10 and you find out lots of things doesn't work anymore you can always undo the upgrade within 30 days unless you have removed the hidden system files needed which Windows 10 undo feature creates.

Hope this helps. :)

Dragonm

Registered
Thanks Bud, lots of useful advice there. I think most satellite users are on Windows 7. It seems the safer bet for now. :)

ig0r

Administrator
With win7 work many devices, many drivers!
I like win7 atm, may be after 3-5 year we will choose Win-20 :)

Ragnarok

Donating Member
8.1 and classic shell or start 8, this fixes the main issue with windows 8.

8.1 has a much better improved kernel underpinning the os, it supports SSD's properly by default( defrag changes to trim as it should be).

Go with Windows 10 only If you can tolerate the privacy invasion (that microsoft are plumbing into Windows 7 and 8 via updates anyway) or need Directx 12 or any of the other features.

empb

SU Team: It's All Good (Fausto v1.45/Newcamd/vplug
Staff member
Administrator
My PC has migrated to Windows 10 from Windows 7

The only thing I don't like about Windows 10 is (and I assume its because I have a old spec PC) when I try and move or rename files over 2GB in size there are always issues.

But if you are getting a new PC then the new standard is Windows 10

KAWUMMK

Banned

The only thing I don't like about Windows 10 is (and I assume its because I have a old spec PC) when I try and move or rename files over 2GB in size there are always issues.

this is codec/header-reading-probs not win10-probs ...
4 me best windows ever since 1982

Last edited:

empb

SU Team: It's All Good (Fausto v1.45/Newcamd/vplug
Staff member
Administrator

this is codec/header-reading-probs not win10-probs ...

All I know for 100% fact is I had no such issue with Windows 7......

......but if you can post step by step instructions how to fix then great!!!! :D

KAWUMMK

Banned
first problem is,when you will use new MOBO with new drivers for Windows10 but only for windows10,not winxp,win8,win-much much older ,so forget...
buy new or old system ...

capsmvp

Registered
I know this is an old thread, but I'd like to contribute.

I have 2 old (6 years old) laptops (sony). I have one with Windows 7 and one with Windows 10 on it? Guess which one I use 99% of the time? Yep, the one with Windows 7.