Dreambox 8000 or Cuberevo HD Twin Tuner

rustyj

Registered
Hi There All
Go easy on me I'm a Satellite TV Virgin!!
I wonder if any one could help me please I am or was looking at a Cuberevo HD twin tuner but was advised to also look at the Dreambox 8000.

What I am looking for:
HD Twin tuner
PVR 500GB
Freesat, but would like to get some sport channels. (Eurosport)
HDMI out
Currently have a 60cm dish with a quad LNB

I work in IT so know a bit about Linux and flashing file on to items...

Thanks any advice as to which one of these two boxs would be great please.

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
Both are great bits of kit mate.

What you should look for is the support both receive this will tell you which to go for.

At the moment the Dreambox will win on support but it costs a lot more than the Cuberevo but you can run upto 4 tuners in the 8000.

Do some research on the EMU CCcam to see what you can do with this type of receiver.

Ferret

ararat

I have both
Abcom IPBox 9000 HD and Dreambox 8000 HD.

Bought the dream 8k two weeks ago, because Abcom didn´t satisfy me (sometimes pixelmash or sound dropouts - especially on HDTV channels).

The dream is more expensive and you won´t get the box (empty: without hdd and dvd) in Germany for less than 1100 €. If a dealer offers it for less (999,-€), you will wait eternally and won´t get one.

But the box is worth it - much better quality:
Better reception (tuners are more sensitive) and better picture quality (Abcom very good picture, but dream excellent), flawless playback of hdtv recordings, better cooperation with hardware CAMs, very good/quick support in vip-forum.
If you want to store your hdtv- or sdtv- recordings on disc, you can build in a slimeline dvd- or bluray burner and do this with the box (no PC needed, except you want to burn blurays that run in a bluray player).
Flashing the box is much easier - just use your browser to do it.
You can program recordings from your office, if you want.
And more and more.

If you don´t need permanent timeshift, the dreambox 8000 HD is the much better box.
I wouldn´t want ever having to watch S*Y with my old abcom box again.

For freesat, of course the abcom will do a very good job.

rustyj

Registered
Thanks for the advice guys!

I was originally looking at getting a Humax HD freesat box at around £280 did some research and was told about the cube at a £100 more and liked all the futures.

I know the Dreambox is a more expensive box than the CubeRevo, how much more is it and is it worth the price as the cube costs £380 or is the best price I can find??

Is there much support for the DB8000??
Is the software bug free and stable??

Or is there different box to look at.

Thanks

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
You'd be looking at £1200 for the DM8000.

You could look at the DM800 although only a single tuner PVR at £400 it is good. Images and support are top notch with more Groups supporting it then you can shake a stick at lol

Ferret

rustyj

Registered
S%&T that is a bit more than the cube is it worth it??

Where could I get the DM8000 from as I can't seem to find them on the web for sale??

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
Speak to the forum sponsor mate

http://www.creativesatellite.co.uk/index1.html

They may be able to source one but the 8000 are in short supply.

If your willing to learn what the Emu's will enable you to watch then id say Linux boxes are worth it. Would i buy a 8000 yes if i won the lottery lol

Ferret

rustyj

Registered
What else would you recommend I look at as a £1200 is 3 times the price of a cube, i just can't justify the price tag.
I have spent about that on a new tv I may as well look at the Humax foxsat hdr at £250.
I have about £400 in the budget for a sat box any ideas.

P.S thanks for all the advice you have been most helpfull.

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
There is the Cube, IP Box 9000 and the Azbox HD.

These are the linux option with twin tuners.

If you don't want to watch hacked TV or Twin tuners is not that important then there are other options.

Ferret

rustyj

Registered
Hi Ya
The Cube seems to be a better box then the IP Box 9000 and the Azbox HD from what I can seen but I mite be wrong.

I am not sure if this is something to be discussed on this forum and this is going to sound very stupid but can you tell me more about "Hacked TV" I know a fare bit about hacking pc but not sat boxes.

thanks

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
Hi Ya
The Cube seems to be a better box then the IP Box 9000 and the Azbox HD from what I can seen but I mite be wrong.

I am not sure if this is something to be discussed on this forum and this is going to sound very stupid but can you tell me more about "Hacked TV" I know a fare bit about hacking pc but not sat boxes.

thanks

Do some research on Emu's such as Goldbox and CCcam.

Ferret

stu246

Registered
I would always go for the Dreambox. Due to the great support it has from the sat community. Theres usually if technically possible always an update on the images if any latest developement takes place within the sat world. If i switched to any other box i would find it dissapointing. If you are on a budgit and if you want HD go for the DM800.

Last edited: