Country music CMT News: News in Brief

RIDER

"Vanity is definitely my favorite sin"
Super VIP
ASCAP Salutes Buddy Cannon for George Strait's "Give It Away"

77794694_10-189x182.jpg
ASCAP Salutes Buddy Cannon for George Strait's "Give It Away"

ASCAP, the performance rights organization, threw a much belated party Tuesday (Dec. 18) at its Nashville headquarters to celebrate the chart-topping success of "Give It Away."

Recorded by George Strait and co-written by ASCAP member Buddy
Cannon, the song went No. 1 in Billboard on Sept. 30, 2006. It was subsequently voted song of the year by the Academy of Country Music and the Country Music Association and is currently in the running for two Grammy awards: best country song and best male country vocal performance.

Even with the holidays impending, dozens of Music Row workers and most of Cannon's immediate family jammed into ASCAP's towering reception hall to share in the fun.

"When Connie called the other day and said she wanted to have this party, I thought it had gone No. 1 again," Cannon joked, referring to ASCAP senior vice president Connie Bradley, who presided over the ceremonies.

Cannon's co-writers, Jamey Johnson and Grand Ole Opry star Bill Anderson, both joined in the celebration although Anderson didn't arrive until after the awards had been handed out. Johnson and Anderson are both affiliated with BMI, a competing performance rights group.

"This guy has had an amazing career," Bradley said of Cannon. She noted that, as a record label executive, he had been instrumental in signing Shania Twain, Sammy Kershaw and Billy Ray Cyrus and that he had produced virtually all of Kenny Chesney's hits. In addition, she noted, he and Chesney had just co-produced Willie Nelson's forthcoming album, Moments of Forever.

As a songwriter, Bradley continued, Cannon had co-penned such hits as Vern Gosdin's "Dream of Me" and "Set 'Em Up Joe" and Strait's "I've Come to Expect It From You."

"When we finished up ['Give It Away']," Cannon recalled, "we thought we just had another song." Then with a grin he added, "Everybody vote for us in the Grammys."

While the ceremonies were taking place, an ASCAP staffer circulated through the crowd handing out numbered slips of paper. Bradley then explained that in the spirit of the song she wanted to "give away" some of the items mentioned in the lyrics -- which chronicle the breakup of a marriage and a home.

To that end, she had assembled a picture, a couple of worse-for-wear bedside table lamps, an old toaster and a Bill Anderson vinyl album, each item autographed by the songwriters. The crowd played along with zeal as numbers were drawn and called out, and some of the winners beamed as though they had won a Grammy.

The always quotable Johnson had the last word. "If we get a Grammy," he promised, "I'm gonna blow something up here. There's a bar that's gonna get punished."

RIDER

Super VIP
Early Member of Hank Williams' Drifting Cowboys Dead at 79

E-mail this story to a friend.

James Ervin "Jimmy" Porter, one of the first members of Hank Williams' Drifting Cowboys band, died Saturday (Dec. 15) at his home in Hoover, Ala. He was 79. In his self-published autobiography, My Life as a Musician, he tells of learning to play the electric steel guitar when he was 12 and joining Williams' group a year later. "Dad took me to Hank's and we played several songs and he sang. The only song I remember was his theme song, 'Happy Rovin' Cowboy.' I played 'Steel Guitar Rag' and a couple of other songs, and Hank offered me the job." Porter said he backed Williams "on and off" from 1941 until late 1943 or early 1944. He later played with Curly Fox and Texas Ruby on tour and on the Grand Ole Opry. He was buried in Montgomery, Ala.

RIDER

Super VIP
Our Country Albums of the Year

Our Country Albums of the Year

It's the time of year for CMT.com staffers to go through their stacks of CDs and downloads from 2007 to select their favorite albums. Here are picks from writer/producer Craig Shelburne, writer Ed Morris and managing editor Calvin
Gilbert.

Writer/Producer Craig Shelburne's Favorites

I am drawn to music where the voice is simply another instrument, rather than the one and only thing you're supposed to notice. Thus, not all these artists are great singers, but they are all outstanding musicians, and they all released worthy discs in 2007.

Upfront and Down Low, Teddy Thompson
A son of folk singers, he grew up adoring traditional country music and offers reverent and beautiful weepers by George Jones, Dolly Parton and more. Sad songs set against a string section and sung with conviction. To borrow a song title, it's touching home.

Heaven, Heartache and the Power of Love, Trisha Yearwood
This one demands my attention every time I play it, which is a lot. She's feistier than usual, yet the ballads are still killer -- "This Is Me You're Talking To," "Let the Wind Chase You," "The Dreaming Fields," etc. I can't wait to hear her sing these live.

The Story, Brandi Carlile
She sounds country to me, even if the title track is a rocker - and the song I was most obsessed with this year. The whole album is strong, even as it eventually mellows out.

Last of the Breed, Willie Nelson/Merle Haggard/Ray Price
You could happily sing these songs on your front porch, but don't sing too loud, or you'll miss three of the most distinctive voices ever to (not) come out of Nashville.

Standard Songs for Average People, John Prine and Mac Wiseman
These old-timers are new friends, but their love for these songs goes way, way back. Like a story you don't get tired of, this is perfect music for letting a day waste away.

Unglamorous, Lori McKenna
Not one to waste words, "Witness to Your Life" and "Your Next Lover" cut to the bone. With her expressive voice, songs like "Leaving This Life" are even more heartbreaking.

Rhinestoned, Pam Tillis
She has a country-tinged voice that keeps you hanging on to every word. With so many memorable melodies, this album is a terrific return by one of Nashville's coolest singers.

Wagonmaster, Porter Wagoner
This one unfolds like an anthology of Southern short stories. Nobody but Marty Stuart could have made Porter's last album sparkle like one of his signature Manuel jackets.

In a Perfect World, Gene Watson
An unsung traditionalist gets his due from famous friends on standards and new songs. In a perfect world, the title track would be a classic, too. Can't beat the harmonies here.

Translated From Love, Kelly Willis
This upbeat record is filled with fun songs like "Success" and "The More That I'm Around You." She's clearly having a blast. Keep it close when summer rolls around.

Writer Edward Morris' 10 Albums to Keep the Sandman at Bay

Here are 10 vintage 2007 albums that I've kept at my bedside to soak in during that hour or so just before sleep arrives. They don't compete with each other in that context nor do they here. So I've listed them alphabetically.

Dirt Farmer, Levon Helm
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I'm pretty sure I first heard this ragged, Promethean voice before Levon Helm was born. These songs are shards of American flint.

Duets, Various Artists -- From A Prairie Home Companion
From this collection come vocal and instrumental pairings by the likes of the Everly Brothers, Chet Atkins and Jethro Burns, Robin and Linda Williams, Leo Kottke and Iris DeMent, Gillian Welch and David Rawlings, Garrison Keillor and Meryl Streep and plenty more. More pleasant than exciting -- which is fine with me.

5th Gear, Brad Paisley
Paisley is the brightest young singer around, a fusion of Roger Miller's cockeyed wit and a folksinger's eye for the current and absurd. And, man, can he pick that guitar!

Heartaches by the Number, David Ball
A short course in honky-tonk. With a voice made to cut through crowd noises, Ball recaps such smoky classics as "There Stands the Glass," "Half as Much," "Please Help Me I'm Falling" and his own authentic contribution to the genre, "Please Feed the Jukebox." Don't play this if you're trying to kick any of the more interesting addictions.

In a Perfect World, Gene Watson
What can you say about the most burnished and sensitive male voice on the planet except "Listen"? Several other impressive vocalists chime in with Watson here, including Vince Gill, Joe Nichols, Rhonda Vincent, Lee Ann Womack, Mark Chesnutt and Connie Smith, but it's his show all the way.

Jumpin' Time, the Time Jumper
This is the 11-piece superband of touring and session musicians that plays every Monday night at Nashville's Station Inn. Boasting triple fiddles, the band's core sound is Western swing, but it plays every format it tackles with verve, historical perspective and rollicking good humor.

Rhinestoned, Pam Tillis
Once you hear the enervating "Something Burning Out," the first song on this album, you know you're in for an emotional workout. Tillis is unerring in her choice of material and flawless in achieving a pure country sound on which to float her lyrics.

Songs for Somebody, Bobby Pinson
I've always preferred contemplation to energy in my music. But Pinson keeps reminding me that I can have both. He sings like he's coming clean to his therapist.

Wagonmaster, Porter Wagoner
Never a remarkable instrument, Wagoner's voice is touchingly fragile in this final album. But he buttresses it with compelling lyrics and a tone of desperate sincerity. It's hard to imagine a better career summation than what we have here.

Walking Down the Line, James Alan Shelton
Ralph Stanley's lead guitarist presents a gallery of his personal favorites -- ranging from the traditional "Fair and Tender Ladies" to Roger Miller's "Old Toy Trains" and Simon & Garfunkel's "Sound of Silence." He's backed here by some of the best pickers in bluegrass, among them Steve Sparkman, Adam Steffey and Barry Bales, and he enlists the peerless Judy Marshall to back him on the vocals.

Managing Editor Calvin Gilbert Picks His Favorites

Last of the Breed, Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard and Ray Price
It's not just three legends, it's three of the greatest singers in country music history. The fact that they still sound good and made a great record isn't as inspiring as the fact that they obviously still give a damn and are still looking for new concepts to explore.

Heaven, Heartache and the Power of Love, Trisha Yearwood
The woman can sing -- and she just keeps getting better. Now she just needs to start recording and releasing albums on a more frequent basis.

Living Hard, Gary Allan
While others consciously try to meld country with rock, Gary Allan does it without even thinking. Time after time, he's making some of the best records in country music.

Took Down and Put Up, Larry Cordle
Larry Cordle plays a style of bluegrass that's both spirited and accessible. How many albums these days include songs about coal mining and train robberies or a title like "Old Cheater's Blues"? And it's hard to imagine a more eloquent tribute than the song he and Randy Scruggs co-wrote about their late friend, Keith Whitley.

Family, LeAnn Rimes
With an early level of commercial success that has destroyed the talent (and lives) of others, LeAnn Rimes somehow avoided the pitfalls of being a child star. She has grown up and made a seamless transition from being a great voice to being a great singer. And there is a difference.

Mescalito, Ryan Bingham
I'm still trying to figure out if this Texas singer-songwriter is for real, but I'm fascinated by his music. The instrumentation is sparse and stark, most of the songs are rather bleak and his vocals are only a little smoother than what you might hear from Tom Waits. He pulls you into another world, though, and music doesn't do that often enough these days.

Dwight Sings Buck, Dwight Yoakam
One of the late Buck Owens' truest disciples, Dwight Yoakam didn't take the obvious route of trying to recreate the classic recordings from the '60s. Instead, he emphasized the power of Owens' songwriting by coming up with totally new arrangements that really work. Owens would have been happy with the results.

Real Things, Joe Nichols
Joe Nichols doesn't get the credit he deserves -- or the record sales, either, for that matter. On Real Things, the songs are above average, but Nichols' vocals are as good as anything that came out of Nashville this year.

Revival, John Fogerty
OK, maybe this isn't a country album, per se, but tell me that "Broken Down Cowboy" isn't a great country song. Revival rocks a little harder in spots than you might expect, but there's lots of stuff that falls into that wonderful brew of rock, country and swamp music that only Fogerty can create.

5th Gear, Brad Paisley
I'm putting this on my list even though I don't think Brad Paisley is fully displaying the musical depth he's capable of. That said, there's plenty to recommend on 5th Gear, including "With You, Without You" and "When We All Get to Heaven." Not that he wants or needs any advice from me, but one novelty song per album is probably enough.

RIDER

Super VIP
Kenny Chesney Recovering From Surgery

Kenny Chesney appeared with one arm in a sling on Wednesday (Dec. 19) at a No. 1 party on Music Row. A spokesperson for Chesney said the country superstar had undergone "minor corrective surgery" on his left shoulder to correct a pre-existing condition. His song being honored at ASCAP was "Never Wanted Nothing More," and the ASCAP songwriter is Chris Stapleton. Chesney had originally agreed to appear at the party in a non-speaking role to show his support for the songwriter and the song.

RIDER

Super VIP
Grammys Honor Willie Nelson, Glen Campbell Classics

Glen Campbell's "Gentle on My Mind" and Willie Nelson's "Always on My Mind" are among 70 songs and albums to be inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 2008. The selections come from a variety of genres and artists and must be at least 25 years old to be inducted. Among the other selections honored in 2008 are the Beatles' Help! and the Eagles' Hotel California, as well as Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Free Bird" and the Mamas & the Papas' "Monday Monday."

RIDER

Super VIP
George Glenn Jones story

georgejones33-426x135.jpg
biography_logo.jpg
George Glenn Jones was born Sept. 12, 1931, in Saratoga, Texas. Raised by an alcoholic father and a legendarily patient mother, he sang for tips on the streets of nearby Beaumont as a kid. He became good enough to earn himself spots on local radio

in the late 1940s, beginning with KTXJ in Jasper and then moving on to KRIC in Beaumont. It was while singing at the latter station that he met, albeit briefly, one of his idols -- Hank Williams -- who was there to promote a show. Jones married Dorothy Bonvillion in 1950, his first of four wives. They divorced about year later. After that, Jones joined the Marines and served in Korea. In 1954, he cut his first record, "No Money in This Deal," for Starday Records. That same year, he married Shirley Ann Corley. That union lasted until 1968, the year before he married Tammy Wynette. His marriage to Wynette ended in 1975. He married Nancy Sepulveda, who also became his manager, in 1983.
Still on Starday, Jones had his first chart hit in 1955 with "Why Baby Why," a song he co-wrote. It reached No. 4 in Billboard. In 1956, he scored a No. 3 on Starday with "Just One More." From Starday, Jones moved to Mercury, where he experimented with rockabilly under the name "Thumper Jones." He had his first country No. 1 on Mercury in 1959 with "White Lightning." In 1961, he hit No. 1 again with "Tender Years" and "She Thinks I Still Care." Later in the '60s, on the Musicor label, his singles consistently hit the Top 10. He returned to the top of the charts again in 1967 with "Walk Through This World With Me." During the 1960s, Jones recorded and charted a series of duet singles on Mercury, United Artists and Musicor with Margie Singleton, Gene Pitney, Brenda Carter and, most notably, Melba Montgomery.
Jones' marriage to Wynette led him to her label, Epic Records, and a 20-year association with producer Billy Sherrill. His first duet single with her, "Take Me," went to No. 9 in 1972. He had two No. 1 solo singles in 1974, "The Grand Tour" and "The Door." With Wynette, he scored No. 1 singles with "We're Gonna Hold On" (1973), "Golden Ring" (1976) and "Near You" (1977). Prized as a duet partner, he charted singles between 1978 and 2001 with James Taylor, Johnny Paycheck, Merle Haggard, Ray Charles, Brenda Lee, Lacy J. Dalton, Shelby Lynne, Randy Travis, Sammy Kershaw, Alan Jackson and Garth Brooks. To date (including his duets), Jones has had 13 No. 1's and 30 Top 5s.
Despite his identification with somber songs, Jones has also shown a fondness throughout his career for lighthearted and novelty tunes, beginning with "White Lightning" and continuing through such frothy fare as "The Race Is On," "Love Bug," "Milwaukee, Here I Come," "(We're Not) The Jet Set," "God's Gonna Getcha (For That)," "Her Name Is," "Old King Kong," "When You're Ugly Like Us (You Just Naturally Got To Be Cool)," "C.C. Waterback," "We Didn't See a Thing," "The One I Loved Back Then (The Corvette Song)," "I'm a One Woman Man," "The King Is Gone (So Are You)," "A Few Ole Country Boys," "I Don't Need Your Rockin' Chair" and "High-Tech Redneck."
Jones kicked off the 1980s with one of the greatest country records of all time, "He Stopped Loving Her Today," which won him single of the year honors from the CMA in 1980 and 1981. It also earned him a Grammy that same year for best male country vocal performance. The CMA named him male vocalist of the year in 1980 and 1981. In the years that followed, he also won CMA trophies for top music video ("Who's Gonna Fill Their Shoes," 1986) and vocal event of the year ("I Don't Need Your Rockin' Chair," 1993; "You Don't Seem To Miss Me," with Patty Loveless, 1998; and "Too Country," with Brad Paisley, Buck Owens and Bill Anderson, 2001).
In 1991, Jones signed with MCA Records, an event MCA Nashville president Tony Brown said was "like signing Elvis." In 1992, the CMA recognized Jones' monumental career by electing him to the Country Music Hall of Fame. In his acceptance speech, he asked country radio to keep its ears open to established country stars like himself. He proved his point shortly thereafter with a hit video "I Don't Need Your Rockin' Chair" and a new, cutting-edge album HighTech Redneck. (The title track won a CMA Award.) He followed with the highly acclaimed acoustic album, The Bradley Barn Sessions, and a reunion album with Wynette, One.
Famed for excessive drinking throughout most of his career, Jones set something of a record in 1979 when he missed more than 50 concerts and picked up the nickname "No Show Jones." He battled his addiction with varying degrees of success throughout the 1980s and appeared to have conquered his drinking problem in the 1990s. Then, in 1999, he was seriously injured when he wrecked his car near his Nashville-area home. Police called to the scene found a partly empty bottle of vodka in the car. He was convicted of impaired driving, fined and sentenced to undergo treatment. There have been no such incidents since.
In the wake of that final car crash, Jones released a powerful ballad called "Choices," which climbed to the middle of the singles chart. It received a CMA nomination for single of the year in 1999, but the awards show producers refused to let Jones to sing the entire song on the broadcast, citing time constraints. In an all-or-nothing move, Jones declined the invitation, though Alan Jackson surprised the audience by tacking on a chorus of "Choices" at the end of his own performance that night, earning a standing ovation. Jones' performance of the song won a Grammy.
While his chart presence was diminishing in the '90s, Jones had been writing his autobiography with celebrity chronicler Tom Carter. "I really enjoyed working on it," he said. "I didn't think I would. I put it off for five, six, seven years, but even though I wouldn't do it, Tom kept gathering material hoping I would change my mind. I finally got tired of hearing things that I'd done blown out of proportion. I wanted to set the record straight." The book I Lived to Tell It All, published in 1996, quickly became one of Jones' greatest hits, reaching No. 6 on The New York Times bestseller list.
As a guest vocalist, Jones cracked country radio's Top 30 twice in the 2000s -- first on the Garth Brooks duet, "Beer Run" (2001), and on Shooter Jennings' "4th of July."
Jones released The Rock: Stone Cold Country in 2001 and The Gospel Collection in 2003. Hits I Missed...And One I Didn't from 2005 found Jones looking back over the years and picking songs that he originally declined to record, but were hits for the other artists (with the exception of a new recording of "He Stopped Loving Her Today"). In 2006, he released a duets album with Merle Haggard titled Kickin' Out the Footlights ... Again.

RIDER

Super VIP
hot dish what year it turned out to be

hotdish_logo_189x182.jpg

HOT DISH: What a Year It Turned Out to Be

L

Let's end the year with Kid Rock, who for the second year in a row spent the holidays with soldiers overseas on a massive USO tour that took him to seven different countries for 13 shows in five days. God, protect the soldiers and thanks for Kid Rock for giving them music and smiles.

Country Music Hall of Famer Porter Wagoner succumbed to cancer on Oct. 28. Time flies. Has he been gone two months? The 80-year-old Missouri native never failed to spread his lips in a smile when he walked onstage wearing one of his rhinestone-studded outfits. He was country music showmanship from his pompadour hair to his boots. As time will prove, though, Porter's music mattered more than his clothes. Porter hadn't participated in recording for quite a spell because no one seemed to be interested in real country music. But Marty Stuart was interested in real country and in Porter Wagoner, so he produced Porter's last album, Wagonmaster. God bless Marty Stuart for a deed worth doing.

We lost another great Hall of Fame member, Hank Thompson, to cancer. Hank died at his home near Fort Worth, Texas. Like Porter, Thompson favored rhinestone-studded stage clothes and also wore a big smile beneath his cowboy hat. His honky-tonk, Western-style music fit the Texas clubs and dance halls where he made most of his appearances.

Brad and Kimberly Williams-Paisley became parents of William Huckleberry Paisley in February. The best guitar player on the road, Brad became a genuine superstar in '07, filling venues, winning awards and recording 5th Gear, one of the most cleverly- written albums on the shelf. After seven tries, my friend finally was named CMA male vocalist of the year -- the award he wanted.

It was great having Garth Brooks around again. Only Garth could release a single and a week later celebrate it with a No. 1 party. Of course, Garth's nine-night concert stand that followed in Kansas City was one for the books. His wife, singing machine Trisha Yearwood, recorded a wonderful album titled Heaven, Heartache and the Power of Love.

My favorite single of the year is "Never Wanted Nothing More" by Kenny Chesney. When I unwrapped the CD and read the lyrics, they virtually blew me away. Written by Ronnie Bowman and Chris Stapleton, the celebration of the single's five weeks at No. 1 called for a two-party day at both ASCAP and BMI in mid December.

My favorite album of 2007 was Joe Nichols Real Things. I gave this album five stars upon its release and compared Joe's singing and songs to another great country star, Merle Haggard. This year, Joe had some health issues that required rehab, which he did -- and not in secret. He stood up and shared his problem like a man. We continue to pull for Joe Nichols, a great country singer. And we wish him and his bride, Heather, a continuing happy marriage.

I'm betting on Miranda Lambert in 2008. I love her singing, her album, her guitar playing and her attitude. Besides that, her boyfriend, Blake Shelton, should be one of country's next superstars. He's handsome, funny, talented and sings like a saint.

Dierks Bentley seems to be lining up to become a superstar, too. Is he the upcoming Kenny, Keith, Brad, Tim, Alan or George? I do think so. He's got that sexy, growly-sounding voice, writes like his musical forefathers and is, by far, the cutest guy on the road.

Another act I really like is Rodney Atkins. I've been watching him for a decade. His last four singles topped the charts, so hopefully his next 24 or more will follow suit.

Congratulations to Mel Tillis, Josh Turner and Charlie Daniels on their inductions as Grand Ole Opry members. (Although Charlie recently learned of his induction, the official ceremony takes place Jan. 19.) And a great big congratulations to Tillis, Vince Gill and Ralph Emery for the highest honor in country music -- induction into the Country Music Hall of Fame. I'm still grateful they introduced the Hall of Fame inductees during the CMA Awards show. Lord knows, they deserved to be seen.

The biggest smile of 2007 was Hank Williams Jr.'s induction into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame. Hank and his dad share this honor. His smile was almost as big on the TV special, CMT Giants: Hank Williams Jr. I'm glad Hank is getting his due.

One of the year's finest performances was Kellie Pickler singing "I Wonder" on the CMA Awards.

I was so proud of Keith Urban at the CMA Awards. While he did not get a trophy, his wife, actress Nicole Kidman, was the classiest female there. I am proud she is supportive of Keith. The fact she walked across the street with Keith to greet the fans at the awards show was huge. Keith and Carrie Underwood's co-headlining tour will be one of the hottest tickets of 2008.

The funniest acceptance speech ever in the history of music was when songwriter Jamey Johnson thanked his ex-wife when he was awarded CMA's song of the year prize for "Give It Away," the George Strait hit he co-wrote with Buddy Cannon and Bill Anderson. I thought Buddy and Bill's faces would break from laughter.

The cowboy, King George Strait, proved he still can -- by winning CMA album of the year for It Just Comes Natural along with co-producer Tony Brown. Strait still makes great country music and proves country music sells. His 50 Number Ones just went seven-times platinum. Now, that's a lot of bling, even for the cowboy.

Other wonderful items of the year: Shooter Jennings and Drea de Matteo's daughter, Alabama Gypsy Rose, was born in New York. Rascal Flatts' Joe Don Rooney and his beautiful wife, Tiffany Fallon, announced that their baby is due in May 2008. The international rumor floating around is that Nicole Kidman hopes she and Keith Urban have a child.

Alison Krauss shared her angelic vocals with Robert Plant and recorded the album, Raising Sand. The amazing Alison is one of my favorite people.

The best words I heard all year were "cancer free" following my surgery in April. Other great news is that CMT's Southern Fried Flicks With Hazel Smith has been extended through 2008. Thanks to all my wonderful guests who stopped by the kitchen.

RIDER

Super VIP
taylorswift19-189x182.jpg

Taylor Swift and the Eagles Keep No. 1 Perches

New songs this week are Sugarland's "Nuttin' for Christmas" (No. 51), Toby Keith's "Little Drummer Boy" (No. 58) and Sara Evans' "I'll Be Home for Christmas" (No. 59).

"Nuttin' for Christmas," by the way, entered the pop charts in 1955 via five different acts -- Art Mooney and His Orchestra (whose version made it all the way to No. 6), Joe Ward, Ricky Zahnd & the Blue Jeaners, the Fontane Sisters and comedian Stan Freberg. This marks the first time it has charted country.

Debuting on this week's albums list is Patsy Cline's self-titled collection (No. 73). Three albums return -- the multi-artist Forever Country (No. 69), Alan Jackson's Like Red on Rose (No. 74) and Trisha Yearwood's Greatest Hits (No. 75).

Kenny Chesney's "Shiftwork" and Carrie Underwood's "All American Girl" each take a high leap this time around, vaulting from No. 25 to No. 17 and from No. 28 to No. 22, respectively.

Rounding out the Top 5 songs, in descending order, are Sugarland's "Stay," Montgomery Gentry's "What Do Ya Think About That," Josh Turner's "Firecracker" and Rascal Flatts' "Winner at a Losing Game."

Parading directly behind the Eagles in the Top 5 albums are Carrie Underwood's Carnival Ride, the eponymous Taylor Swift, Garth Brooks' The Ultimate Hits and Rascal Flatts' Still Feels Good.

RIDER

Super VIP
porterwagoner17-189x182.jpg

Country Music Deaths of 2007

In 2007, the world lost two of its most revered Country Music Hall of Fame members -- Porter Wagoner and Hank Thompson -- along with a host of other influential singers, songwriters, musicians and executives. Here's the roll call:

Patrick
Bourque, 29, former bassist for Emerson Drive, Sept. 25 in Montreal.

Frank Callari, 55, former manager of the Mavericks, Ryan Adams, Lucinda Williams and Junior Brown, Oct. 26 in Nashville.

Henson Cargill, 66, recording artist whose signature hit was the 1968 "Skip a Rope," March 24 in Oklahoma City, of complications from surgery.

Tex Davis (real name William Doucette), 93, former record promoter and co-writer of the Gene Vincent rock classic "Be-Bop-A-Lula," Aug. 29 in Nashville.

Ralph Ezell, 54, former bass player for the group Shenandoah, Nov. 30, in South Dakota, of an apparent heart attack.

Dan Fogelberg, 56, award-winning singer and songwriter, Dec. 16 in Maine, of prostate cancer.

Ray Goins, 71, bluegrass banjo player and former member of the Lonesome Pine Fiddlers and the Goins Brothers bands, July 2 in Pikeville, Ky.

Lee Hazlewood, 78, record producer and songwriter best known for writing Nancy Sinatra's 1996 hit, "These Boots Are Made for Walkin'," Aug. 4 in Henderson, Nev., of renal cancer.

Doyle Holly, 70, former bassist for Buck Owens' Buckaroos and later a solo artist, Jan. 13 in Nashville, of prostate cancer.

John Hughey, 73, former steel guitarist for Conway Twitty, Loretta Lynn, Vince Gill and the Time Jumpers, Nov. 18 in Nashville.

Pete (Sneaky Pete) Kleinow, 72, steel guitarist and original member of the Flying Burrito Brothers, Jan. 6 in Petaluma, Calif., following a battle with Alzheimer's.

Hilly Kristal, 75, founder of New York's CBGB music club, Aug. 28 in New York City, of lung cancer.

Janis Martin, 67, rockabilly singer once billed as "the Female Elvis," Sept. 3 in Durham, N.C., of cancer.

George McCorkle, 60, co-founder of and guitarist for the Marshall Tucker Band, June 29 near Nashville, of cancer.

Robert W. McLean, 60, investment manager and philanthropist who donated Mother Maybelle's signature 1928 Gibson L-5 guitar and Bill Monroe's 1923 Gibson F-5 mandolin to the Country Music Hall of Fame & Museum, circa Sept. 25 in Shelbyville, Tenn., an apparent suicide.

Terry McMillan, 53, harmonica player and percussionist, Feb. 2 in Pigeon Forge, Tenn.

Jim Nesbitt, 75, writer and performer of such comic country songs as "Please Mr. Kennedy" and "A Tiger in My Tank," Nov. 29 in Florence, S.C.

Jim Porter, 79, steel guitarist and one of the earliest members of Hank Williams' Drifting Cowboys band, Dec. 15 in Hoover, Ala.

Boots Randolph, 80, pop recording artist ("Yakety Sax," "Hey, Mr. Sax Man") and former Nashville A-team saxophone sideman, July 3 in Nashville.

Del Reeves, 73, Grand Ole Opry star, impressionist and recording artist ("Girl on the Billboard," "The Belles of Southern Bell"), Jan. 1 in Centerville, Tenn.

Glen Sutton, 69, member of the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame and producer and former husband of singer Lynn Anderson, April 18 in Nashville, of an apparent heart attack.

Clarence "Tater" Tate, 76, former fiddler and bass player in Bill Monroe's Blue Grass Boys band and later a sideman for other mainstream bluegrass acts, Oct. 17 in Jonesborough, Tenn., of lung cancer.

Hughie Thomasson, 55, pioneering southern rock guitarist and member of the Outlaws band, Sept. 9 in Brooksville, Fla., of an apparent heart attack.

Hank Thompson, 82, songwriter, bandleader, member of the Country Music Hall of Fame and singer of the 1952 hit "The Wild Side of Life," Nov. 6 near Fort Worth, Texas, of lung cancer.

Porter Wagoner, 80, singer, songwriter, producer, television personality, member of the Grand Ole Opry and the Country Music Hall of Fame and career-making mentor to Dolly Parton, Oct. 28 in Nashville, of lung cancer.

Irving Waugh, 94, radio and television broadcaster instrumental in gaining national television exposure for country music during the '50s and '60s and who subsequently championed the creation of Fan Fair and the construction of the Opryland theme park, April 27 in Nashville.

Chickie Williams, 88, long-time performer on the WWVA Wheeling Jamboree and wife of fellow Jamboree cast member, Doc Williams, Nov. 18 in Wheeling, W.Va.

Lawton Williams, 85, writer of the country standards "Fraulein" and "Farewell Party," July 26 in Fort Worth, Texas.

Hy Zaret, 99, writer of the lyrics for "Unchained Melody," July 2 in Westport, Conn.

RIDER

Super VIP
taylorswift17-189x182.jpg

Top Country Music News of 2007

Apart from the deaths of musical titans (to be covered in a separate story), 2007 has been an encouraging but less than banner year for country music. Carrie Underwood emerged as a full-blown star -- with teen Taylor Swift nipping at her heels. Garth
Brooks shook off his domestic dormancy and flexed his still-considerable musical muscles. Kenny Chesney continued to fill more stadiums than any other artist on the Row. Here is a month-by-month rundown of how the year shaped up.

January: Elevator going down. Nielsen SoundScan reports that country album sales for 2006 dipped 0.5 percent -- or about 441,000 units -- from the total number sold in 2005. . . Stonewall Jackson sues the Grand Ole Opry for age discrimination.

February: Dixie Chicks win five Grammys, including the cherished overall album of year award for Taking The Long Way. ... Kenny Chesney denies he's gay on 60 Minutes. ... Reba McEntire's sitcom concludes. ... Sammy Kershaw files for bankruptcy. ... Terri Clark files for divorce. ... Tracy Lawrence releases For the Love, his first album in three years. ... Brad Paisley becomes a father. ... Country Radio Broadcasters honor Kenny Rogers for lifetime achievements.

March: Wynonna Judd seeks divorce after husband's arrest for aggravated sexual battery against a minor.

April: Fire destroys Johnny Cash's former home in Hendersonville, Tenn. ... Willie Nelson pleads guilty to marijuana possession. Gets fine and six-month probation.

May: Kenny Chesney wins third consecutive entertainer of the year award from Academy of Country Music. ... Mel Tillis tapped to join Grand Ole Opry. ... Trisha Yearwood signs with Big Machine Records. ... Mary Chapin Carpenter cancels tour due to illness. ... Songwriters celebrate Bluebird Café's 25th anniversary.

June: Porter Wagoner releases what will prove to be his final studio album, Wagonmaster, with Marty Stuart producing. ... Dolly Parton honored with Johnny Mercer Award from the Songwriters Hall of Fame in New York. ... Rascal Flatts give surprise performance at CMA Music Festival. ... Dierks Bentley well received by fans at mammoth Bonaroo Music & Arts Festival. ... Sammy Kershaw files to run for lieutenant governor of Louisiana.

July: Donor of Mother Maybelle's guitar and Bill Monroe's mandolin charged with fraud. ... The Wreckers' Michelle Branch and Jessica Harp say they will pursue solo projects. ... Darryl Worley appears nude in Playgirl photo spread.

August: Vince Gill, Mel Tillis, Ralph Emery named to Country Music Hall of Fame. ... Denise (Mrs. Alan) Jackson's book goes No. 1 in New York Times.

September: Garth Brooks makes history when his "More Than a Memory" single tops the chart its first week out. ... Mindy McCready gets one-year jail sentence for violating parole. ... Rascal Flatts set charitable record by donating $829,581 from group's Nashville concert to Vanderbilt's children's hospital. ... Sara Evans' divorce granted.

October: Josh Turner joins Grand Ole Opry. ... Garth Brooks sells out nine concerts at Kansas City's 18,000-seat Sprint Center. ... Joe Nichols enters rehab. ... Flatt & Scruggs, Hank Williams Jr., Mac McAnally, Dottie Rambo and Bob DiPiero inducted into Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame. ... John Rich proclaimed ASCAP's artist-songwriter of the year. ... Lorrie Morgan files for divorce from fifth husband, Sammy Kershaw.

November: Nashville Songwriters Association International announces it's buying Bluebird Café. ... Liz Rose, co-writer of "Tim McGraw," is SESAC's songwriter of the year. ... BMI crowns Jeffrey Steele its songwriter of the year, honors Willie Nelson with Icon Award. ... Carrie Underwood, Brad Paisley, Kenny Chesney are top CMA award winners, with Chesney taking his third entertainer of the year prize. ... Charlie Daniels invited to join Grand Ole Opry.

December: Vince Gill's These Days nominated for best album Grammy, Taylor Swift for best new artist. ... Kenny Chesney, Tim McGraw-Faith Hill and Rascal Flatts among top grossing tours of 2007. ... Court allows Stonewall Jackson's age-discrimination suit against Grand Ole Opy to proceed.

RIDER

Super VIP
Tim McGraw Filming With Vaughn and Witherspoon

Tim McGraw Filming With Vaughn and Witherspoon

Tim McGraw and Dwight Yoakam are featured in supporting roles in the upcoming film, Four Christmases, starring Reese Witherspoon and Vince Vaughn. Set for release during the 2008 holiday season, the New Line Cinema film centers around a couple forced to visit all four of their divorced parents' homes on Christmas Day after years of avoiding their families during the holidays. McGraw, who began filming Monday (Jan. 14) in Los Angeles, is cast in the role of Dallas, a brother to Vaughn's character. It's McGraw's fifth film role. Four Christmases also stars Robert Duvall, Sissy Spacek, Mary Steenburgen and Jon Voight. The supporting cast includes Jon Favreau and Kristen Chenoweth.

RIDER

Super VIP
CMT Crossroads With Plant, Krauss Debuts

CMT Crossroads With Plant, Krauss Debuts

CMT Crossroads: Robert Plant and Alison Krauss will debut on CMT on Feb. 11 at 8 p.m. Selections in the show include "Please Read the Letter," "Rich Woman" and "Gone, Gone, Gone (Done Moved On)" from last year's album collaboration, Raising Sand. In addition, they perform the Alison Krauss & Union Station song, "The Boy Who Wouldn't Hoe Corn," as well as the Led Zeppelin songs "Black Dog" and "When the Levee Breaks." T Bone Burnett, who produced Raising Sand, is featured as a special guest. The show was taped in October near Nashville.

RIDER

Super VIP
Garth Brooks' L.A. Concert Will Air Live on CBS

CBS will air a live portion from one of Garth Brooks' five upcoming concerts in Los Angeles on Jan. 25. The one-hour special, which will be taken from his third concert at the Staples Center that day, is titled Garth Brooks: Live in L.A.!. He will also perform two concerts there on Jan. 26, after selling 85,000 tickets in less than an hour. Proceeds from the event will benefit the Southern California 2008 Fire Intervention Relief Effort (FIRE). Viewers may also donate to the organization during the concert broadcast.

RIDER

Super VIP
Chris Cagle's New CD Due Feb. 19

Chris Cagle will release his fourth album, My Life Is a Country Song, on Feb. 19 on Capitol Nashville. The first single from the album, "What Kinda Gone," was released in July and cracked the Top 20 at the end of last year. He co-produced the album with Scott Hendricks. Cagle's previous album, Anywhere but Here, was released in 2005. His hits include "I Breathe In, I Breathe Out," "What a Beautiful Day" and "Miss Me Baby."

RIDER

Super VIP
Kenny Chesney Announces 13 More Stadium Shows

Keith Urban, Brooks & Dunn, Big & Rich, Sammy Hagar Appearing on Select Dates

Kenny Chesney has added 13 additional stadium dates to his 2008 Poets & Pirates tour, including several shows featuring Keith Urban, it was announced Monday (Jan. 14).

The stadium concerts will take place in Atlanta, Baltimore, Chicago,
Cleveland, Dallas, Indianapolis, Nashville, Philadelphia, Detroit, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, San Francisco and Columbia, S.C. A previously-announced show at Gillette Stadium near Boston sold out in less than 15 minutes when tickets went on sale in December.

In addition to Urban, those scheduled to appear at selected stadium dates will include Brooks & Dunn, Big & Rich, Sammy Hagar and newcomer Luke Bryan. LeAnn Rimes and Gary Allan will perform on all of the stadium shows.

"We're changing it up to keep it interesting," Chesney said in a press release. "Anyone who's been to one of these shows knows ... the folks sharing the stage with us put out a lot of fire power. We have a big stage, and everybody does their very biggest show. It's pretty exciting to see everybody bringing their biggest game."

Chesney's 2007 tour included stadium concerts in Boston, Cleveland, Detroit, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Seattle.

"It's amazing to me how much intimacy you can have in a place that big," Chesney said. "But there's something in those big shows you can't get anywhere else -- a whole other kind of energy. You feel those fans all the way to the top, and there's nothing like it. And they come to have a big day with us. You can hear it when they sing 'Back Where I Come From' or 'Anything but Mine.' It's a blast, and I can't wait."

Details regarding ticket sales and specific talent lineups will be announced soon. Additional tour dates, including the possibility of more stadium shows, are also expected in the near future.

Here's a list of stadium shows confirmed so far:

April 26: Columbia, S.C. (Williams Brice Stadium)

May 3: Dallas (Pizza Hut Park)

May 10: Baltimore (M&T Bank Stadium)

May 24: Cleveland (Browns Stadium)

May 31: Phoenix (University of Phoenix Stadium)

June 8: San Francisco (AT&T Park)

June 14: Pittsburgh, Pa. (Heinz Field)

June 21: Chicago (Soldier Field)

July 5: Nashville (LP Field)

July 13: Atlanta (Turner Field)

July 19: Philadelphia (Lincoln Financial Field)

July 26: Foxboro, Mass. (Gillette Stadium, sold out)

Aug. 2: Detroit (Ford Field)

Sept. 13: Indianapolis (Lucas Oil Field

RIDER

Super VIP
HOT DISH: Urban, Kidman Confirm Pregnancy Rumor

Thoughts on American Idol and a Call From Jason Michael Carroll

The word that Keith Urban and Nicole Kidman are expecting is no longer a rumor. The couple spoke through their reps saying they are thrilled Nicole is with child. This is her first biological child, although she does have two adopted children -- Isabella, 14, and Connor, 12 -- with her former husband, actor Tom Cruise. Nicole also suffered a miscarriage during her marriage to Cruise. This is Keith's first child.

With parents as beautiful as Keith and Nicole, imagine what a beautiful baby they will have. Nicole, who was set to begin work on new movie soon, has changed her professional plans to concentrate on her pregnancy. They married in Sydney, Australia, in June 2006 and have a house and farm south of Nashville near Leipers Fork, Tenn. It would be wonderful if royalty was born in Tennessee.

American Idol Needs Country
I wonder if the powers that be at American Idol realize that if they don't want to look goofy, they should rewind and rethink. Which Idol contestants have been successful? Not the two winners from Alabama. Gray-haired Taylor Hicks and heavyset Ruben Studdard were both recently dropped from J Records. Katharine McPhee was dropped from her label, RCA, last week. Just released from jail in Florida, former Idol star Jessica Sierra is on her way to rehab. Pretty sad, huh?

Look at the success of Carrie Underwood, an Idol winner whose debut album sold 6 million copies. Her second release is already double platinum. Every record she's released has been a hit with radio as well as with the fans. Stepping into a new arena, the Checotah, Okla., native co-wrote her last single, "So Small," and yes, that was her latest chart-topper.

Wouldn't you think Idol execs would wake up and try to find more success in the arena where they were successful? Country music has made that show look like they know what they are doing. By the way, Carrie will be co-headlining Love, Pain & the Whole Crazy Carnival Ride tour with Keith Urban beginning Jan. 31. Between the Keith tour, she also will headline her own Carnival Ride tour with special guest Josh Turner.

American Idol finalists Kellie Pickler and Bucky Covington are out there making a name for themselves. Kellie's first self-titled album is gold, and she has opened shows for Brad Paisley. The Albemarle, N.C., native visited the troops in the Middle East during the holidays and is in demand on television where her humor and fun-loving personality comes shining through. Her performance on the CMA Awards of her self-penned "I Wonder" was head and shoulders above most acts on the show. Kellie reminds me of a young Dolly Parton. Watch her smoke.

Covington, a talent from Rockingham, N.C., became a critics' favorite out of the box when his self-titled debut CD kissed the Billboard chart at No. 1 when it was released. The Miami Herald selected Bucky's album as the most heartfelt, honest CD to come out of the American Idol factory. He was named Country Aircheck's top new artist of 2007. Early this year, Bucky is scheduled to tour with Trace Adkins and later with Dierks Bentley on his Throttle Wide Open tour. Tall and skinny, Bucky reminds me of Hank.

No, Kelly Clarkson is not country, but her friend and her manager are. Kelly is managed by Reba McEntire's husband, Narvel Blackstock. Of course, you know Kelly did a song on the Reba Duets album.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is a wonderful country adage I learned from the wonderful comic, the late Minnie Pearl. Maybe American Idol should give some thought to the saying before they hit the highways in search of stars. If it was me, I believe I'd be looking at country.

Jason Michael Carroll Calls
Had a delightful phone call from Jason Michael Carroll who'd been visiting family near Raleigh, N.C., where he's built a new house. Jason's house was completed right after Thanksgiving, so family and friends had to follow his instructions for purchasing furniture and finishing up the place. He worked on the road right up until Dec. 16 before finally arriving home. Jason told me since his house was the biggest, the entire family celebrated Christmas at his place.

Arriving back in Tennessee last week, Jason, a former Marine reservist, traveled to Chattanooga, Tenn., where he delivered a surprise performance for the 150 Marines who were packed and ready to ship out for two months of training before deployment to Iraq. A luncheon with the families followed. I hear there wasn't a dry eye when Jason sang an a cappella version of "Proud to Be an American" and "The Marines' Hymn."

Look for Jason on Good Morning America on Thursday (Jan. 17).

Golly Moses, Garth and George
The hardest working retiree on planet Earth, Garth Brooks, is scheduled to appear on March 5 to jump-start this year's Country Radio Seminar in Nashville. During the event, Garth will answer audience questions submitted to moderator Gerry House, the morning show host for Nashville radio station WSIX-FM. It was Garth's idea for one lucky program or music director from radio to come up and sing a song with him as the support musician to kick off the show. Lordy me, most of those radio people can't even hum --much less sing.

On March 7, the great George Jones will be featured at CRS on the "Life of a Legend" panel discussion with record producer Norro Wilson, who produced five of Jones' albums. Expect Jones, who is one of the most influential singers of all time, to tell his epic story and answer questions submitted by the audience.

Little Big Town Storking
Congratulations to Little Big Town's Phillip Sweet and wife Rebecca on the birth of their baby girl, Penelopi Jane. Born in Music Town, she weighed 6 pounds 4 ounces.

Montgomery Gentry in the Rockies
Montgomery Gentry will headline the 14th annual Country in the Rockies music and skiing event Jan. 23-27 at Steamboat Springs, Colo. Proceeds from the event go to the T.J. Martell Foundation and the Frances Williams Preston Research Lab at Vanderbilt University's Ingram Cancer Center in Nashville.

Whisperin' Bill and the Gov
Country Music Hall of Famer and award-winning (and wealthy) songwriter Bill Anderson will be inducted into the Kappa Sigma Fraternity's Hall of Fame on Feb. 2 in Atlanta. Georgia Gov. Sonny Perdue will make the presentation which is awarded exclusively to University of Georgia grads who have made a mark in their chosen profession. I'd say my friend Bill Anderson has made his mark as a singer, songwriter, entertainer and a dadgum great human being.​

RIDER

Super VIP
Rhonda Vincent Back on Road With New Album

Rhonda Vincent Back on Road With New Album

With the Jan. 8 release of Good Thing Going, her sixth album for Rounder Records, Rhonda Vincent once more finds her tour schedule bursting at the seams. She's already booked more than 100 shows and media appearances for 2008 and will likely
have at least 20 more on the calendar before the year gets much older.

Good Thing Going zoomed to the top of Billboard's bluegrass chart its first week out, propelled there, in part, by the fact that it features a duet with Keith Urban as well as five of Vincent's own increasingly skillful compositions. In addition, Vincent had fueled fan interest by chronicling each step of the album's creation on her Web site in a self-penned series she called "Join the Journey."

"I came up with 'Join the Journey' because so many people were saying, 'When are you going to have a new album?'" Vincent tells CMT.com. "The fans were demanding this new music, and I knew there was no way it was going to be finished [since] we were in the middle of a tour. This gave them something to talk about and let them know what we were doing."

That Vincent is still standing after her labors of last year is something of a miracle. In addition to touring incessantly, she co-produced and recorded the current album and supervised the construction and décor of her Nashville recording facility, Adventure Studios. Along the way, she also planned an elaborate wedding for her good friend and veteran assistant, Julia Yocum. She even came up with the wedding song, "I Give All My Love to You," which appears on the album.

Such frenzied activity raises the question: Is Vincent nuclear powered or just incredibly well organized?

"I'm organized," she asserts. "It just doesn't appear that way to everybody else. I organize myself by the series of little baggies that are behind the seats on a plane. I have tons of those, and I make scrawls on all the little notepads from the hotels -- whatever I can find, a receipt or something. Most of my organization is done when I'm on planes."

It was through her daughters that Vincent became an admirer of Urban's music. "Each time when I'd get off the road for a few days, I'd say, 'What do you want to do, girls?' And they'd say, 'We want to go to a Keith Urban concert.'"

At the time, Vincent and Urban had the same booking agent, so she was able to wangle not only tickets for herself and the kids but backstage passes, too. That started their connection. Later, she encountered him occasionally when they were both playing the Grand Ole Opry.

On Vincent's album, Urban appears on the traditional folk tune, "The Water Is Wide." She had originally recorded it for her last album, All American Bluegrass Girl, but decided it didn't fit. So she resurrected it for the new album. Urban took time off from recording his own album to add his vocal track to the song. "I really think he's so talented, and I just envisioned him singing on this song," she says.

Good Thing Going spotlights some other distinguished guests. Award-winning bluegrass crooner Russell Moore harmonizes with Vincent on "I Give All My Love to You." Fabled mandolinist Jesse McReynolds (of Jim & Jesse fame) picks on "Just One of a Kind." Vincent's brother, co-producer and fellow Rounder artist, Darrin Vincent (of Dailey & Vincent), also performs on most of the tracks.

But the oddest guest appearance is by drummer James Stroud, who was brought in to play a pizza box on one of the cuts. Stroud used to head the now-defunct Giant Records, and Vincent was the first act he signed to the label. That was back in the early 1990s when she was attempting to establish a career in country music. While that particular goal never came to fruition, Vincent credits Stroud with teaching her the essentials of recording and of how the music business works.

This wasn't the first time Vincent had used pizza-box percussion on a recording session, but it was the first time Stroud had heard of such goings on.

"James thought it was a joke when I called him," Vincent says with a chuckle. "He said, 'Are you serious? Do you want me to do this?' And I said, 'Absolutely!' He said, "If you'll have the pizza box and brushes, I'll be there.' So I ran to the Pizza Hut over in Hermitage, and I got small, medium and large pizzas. We had the brushes there. He checked them out. We ended up [choosing] a medium [box], and we were good."

One of the album's many gems is Vincent's breakneck version of the Jimmy Martin classic, "Hit Parade of Love," a song she routinely includes in her stage shows. "Everybody started posting on my message board that we had to put it on this album," she explains. "I really didn't plan to record it, but everybody said it was their favorite song."

Vincent says she depends on the Internet "every day, every moment" to keep in touch with her fans. "We have a very active message board. It's just a way for people to communicate. They know what we're doing. They know where we're going. ... I think [the Internet] leads to sold-out shows."

As popular as Vincent has become, she could probably book a show every day. But she's learned to temper her enthusiasm for touring. "In 2004, we did 180 dates and were on the road almost 300 days or more. That was the turning point. ... There has to be a balance between being with your family and being on the road."

Good Thing Going resonates with all the traditional bluegrass sounds and arrangements, but it departs from such standard bluegrass themes as yearning for home and a simpler way of life. Instead, it focuses more on relationships. Vincent says there was no deliberate intent to go in that direction. It was just the way things turned out. "These are the songs I was attracted to," she reflects. "They said what I wanted to say."

RIDER

Super VIP
Keith Urban Joining Chesney for Nine Stadium Shows

Keith Urban will perform at nine of Kenny Chesney's stadium shows scheduled this summer. Brooks & Dunn will be appearing at five of the 14 concerts. Urban will appear in Cleveland (May 24), Phoenix (May 31), Pittsburgh (June 14), Chicago (June 21), Nashville (July 5), Philadelphia (July 19), Foxboro, Mass. (July 27), Detroit (Aug. 2) and Indianapolis (Sept. 13). Brooks & Dunn will perform prior to Chesney's set in Columbia, S.C., (April 26), Dallas (May 3), San Francisco (June 8), Atlanta (July 13) and Baltimore (May 10). LeAnn Rimes will appear at all of Chesney's stadium shows, and Gary Allan, Big & Rich, Sammy Hagar and Luke Bryan will be performing at selected dates. The Massachusetts show is already sold out. Ticket information has not be announced for the other shows.

RIDER

Super VIP
Billy Ray, Miley Cyrus Attend L.A. Premiere

Billy Ray Cyrus was on the red carpet Thursday night (Jan. 17) in Los Angeles to give his daughter some additional support at the world premiere of the new concert film, Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds. The event at the El Capitan Theater also attracted actresses Heather Locklear, Ashley Tisdale, Samantha Harris and Vanessa Williams, actor Ray Liotta, former teen idol Donny Osmond and Miley Cyrus' touring partners, the Jonas Brothers. Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds will be in theaters for one week before being released on DVD on Feb. 1.

RIDER

Super VIP
Van Morrison's New CD Is on Nashville Label

Van Morrison will release a new album, Keep It Simple, on March 11 on Lost Highway Records, a Universal Music imprint based in Nashville. Morrison wrote all 11 songs specifically for the album. He released Pay the Devil, an album featuring several country covers, on Lost Highway in 2006. He also released a greatest hits album, Still on Top, in 2007. Keep It Simple is Morrison's first collection of all-new music since 2005.