Satellite Internet

skybandit

Registered
Not sure if this is the right forum... If not can someone move it to the correct one.

Where can I find out about Satellite Internet? Does anyone use it?
How much does it cost and what is the performance like?

Any links would be useful.

Thanks.

barney115

Donating Member
Staff member
Administrator
Satellite broadband is okay to surf the net much like mobile broadband but without so much limits [ mobile broadband ] , but biggest issue with Satellite internet is very high ping and contention ratio's , meaning streaming high quality video 1080p can be a struggle especially at 48:1 Ratio which is the norm for most Satellite broadband companies .

Do not expect fantastic performance this is not what Satellite internet provides its just a simple solution for someone to experience some higher speeds than that of garbage copper wire ADSL , but do not be under illusion that it's in any way better performance than Fiber broadband it certainly is not and never will be .

During daytime hours it may be possible to reach up to 50mbs but in evening i have seen it drop as low as 2-3mbs due to such high contention ratio's and even more so now with everyone bored at home with the Covid-19 pandemic, so Satellite Internet is a basic back up just for web surfing and checking E-mails etc.. nothing heavy as its never capable of doing anything special .

if you want consistency in speed Fiber broadband to the home is by far the best option i have 6 months @ €25 per month with unlimited phone calls anywhere plus 300mb home broadband which i can upgrade anytime Free of charge ,
Here is my Speed Test result with 3 devices all streaming at the same time and 1 device being used for online gaming =>