Go Back   Sat Universe > Technomate > Technomate Chat

Note: Visitors from certain countries might see in-text advertising(underlind words in posts) or pop-under ads.
It is only shown to unregistered visitors or members that haven't made any posts. So you can easily get rid of it.

World-Of-Satellite

TM 5402 M4 - Queries on wifi/3g adapters and software patch vs update

Technomate Chat

Old 20-04-2022, 23:06  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

USB wifi dongles purchased - awaiting for delivery. Company that supplied them requested feedback as they haven't tested them on the 5402 M4 model - they work with the M3 and some of the other older TM receivers.
The Nano M3 isn't on the list but the 3T is.

I'll update ye all in due course if they work, that is if ye want an update.

It's the type with a higher gain, ie larger hinged aerial and chipset Ralink RT5370
Old 20-04-2022, 23:33  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Box opened up and hooked up to a tv.

Last installed software version 1.31 (Dec 31st 2021) so only 1 software update required, dated 28 Jan 22. Fantastic. Bought at the right time, when ye all went through the blood, sweat and tears of beta and live testing! I had read the mega chat on it..
Old 21-04-2022, 00:02  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian
Donating Member

Thanked 105,756 Times in 22,016 Posts

Yes myself and Manic01 , Kippysat done the Beta testing on the M4 few other members also .
But for all you need PVR and Freesat it'll suit you much better than very vast majority of members on here that wasted money on the M4 which any support already died months ago , NO 4K and awkward Menus and trash pic quality , the box i recommended was half the price and only missing PVR
but has a fully working 7 day EPG without any Internet required .

i can understand the reasons to buy the M4 since you are clearly not requiring anything special just Freesat TV and Recording, any phone or tablet can provide Youtube via Mobile data .

The Final software update dated 28 Jan 22 you might as well do it since there will be no further updates coming and everyone here has moved on to better boxes and will avoid Technomate brand like the plague since they are clearly going bust anyhow
you may think that is harsh words but TMate have totally and utterly screwed a lot of people and there is simply no recovering from that disaster : )
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to barney115 For This Useful Post:
butchyboy (21-04-2022), holmroad (21-04-2022), jaes (24-04-2022), manic01 (21-04-2022)
Old 21-04-2022, 02:19  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney115 View Post
Yes myself and Manic01 , Kippysat done the Beta testing on the M4 few other members also .

But for all you need PVR and Freesat it'll suit you much better than very vast majority of members on here that wasted money on the M4 which any support already died months ago , NO 4K and awkward Menus and trash pic quality , the box i recommended was half the price and only missing PVR

but has a fully working 7 day EPG without any Internet required .

i can understand the reasons to buy the M4 since you are clearly not requiring anything special just Freesat TV and Recording, any phone or tablet can provide Youtube via Mobile data .

The Final software update dated 28 Jan 22 you might as well do it since there will be no further updates coming and everyone here has moved on to better boxes and will avoid Technomate brand like the plague since they are clearly going bust anyhow
you may think that is harsh words but TMate have totally and utterly screwed a lot of people and there is simply no recovering from that disaster : )

It shouldn't have been released before beta was completed but I guess they released it because follks were clambering for it and you know Covid has slowed down a lot of things. I see it in my own work and how suppliers were affected and how we were ourselves. I'm not going to rule out Technomate just yet.

No we don't need anything special.

People shouldn't always assume that folks want features that are

a) not required or
b) beyond their capability or don't have the equipment to work with an advanced machine or
c) want something extremely basic when they want something that's not basic basic.

We don't have a 4K tv as tbh in a mobile that's just completely ridiic, a good 32 inch which might be updated to 37 eventually and is more than sufficient for our needs.
It's a mobile home for weekends/summer hols, not for the main home. Even still a box is only as good as the tv.

Regarding the 7 day epg - the internet is not required for it on a normal basis - it was only required to enact that part of the software in the S/W Dec release. Which thankfully was already loaded up.

That said having internet capability is great - hopefully the dongles will work.

Updating this is just a joy. Absolute joy. None of the Nano M3 flashing melarky I had to deal with.

It recognised a brand new usb instantly. None of this reformatting to recognise the stick. Instantly saw the update and press click and it's done.
None of the frustrating holding buttons/turning on/off for flashing and then crashing..

Complete joy.

Menus simple and to the point. Easy to read. Decent screen.

I don't get why folks are so negative on this. Sure it's not adaptable but adaptable isn't always cracked up to be.

I lost about 3-4 full weekends updating the Nano M4 box last year and trying to get it in a usable state that we all agreed we could live with. Every update deleted the channel list and re-scanning had to be done. Couldn't figure out the turner for the Saorview so that we could record that - TV is already Saorview but older model so no time shift on it. The skins were awful for the epg. The program descriptions were nightmare to read - plenty or available space and yet tiny writing.

Enigma jesus wept - whoever wrote the manual clearly haven't upgraded it in ages. My downloaded version has notes on how to do x (and not follow the written manual) and what not to do when I do.

Sitting and holding buttons while flashing and getting caught in boot loading loops, hoping the flash worked.

God awful.

Not to mention couldn't connect to a laptop (win 10) and wouldn't recognise the external hddrive to try and adapt files/re-figure font to make it more user friendly and also easier to read epgs and screens. Or even being able to transfer recorded files to a different usb or open on the laptop - not a hope in hell.
Recording a nightmare - supposed to be able to record 7 channels - not a hope in hell. Two if lucky and only on the same transponder - change a channel, yer stuck with the screen. Adding PIDs a nightmare. Even the basic 1000+ you could do this.

It's not for non python and non linux people.

So who needs all of that in their lives when that wasted time could be done relaxing?

Sat boxes should be a set up once, and be done with it and only upgrade sporadically - that's heaven. I can't get those hours/days back.

This box is a piece of cake, a walk in the park compared to the Nano M3.

Menu is a dream to read. Simple, easy understandable. Does exactly what it should do. Decent screen size. None of this tiny writing in Engima.

And has a bonus of internet radio and you tube! I hooked it up to my own cable for updating the software so had a sneak preview of some of the features. Joy.

Setting it up with the satellite will be done over a weekend in the near distant future. Looking forward to it.

And if it's the final software update then we waited for the right time to buy.

The 1000+ lasted almost 20 yrs and hasn't been updated once. Still going strong. But if looks good then we'll see about purchasing a second one of these for the bedroom where the 1000+ now lives.

Last edited by Brandyboy; 21-04-2022 at 02:25..
Old 21-04-2022, 16:28  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian
Donating Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyboy View Post

Updating this is just a joy. Absolute joy. None of the Nano M3 flashing melarky I had to deal with.

Complete joy.

Menus simple and to the point. Easy to read. Decent screen.

I don't get why folks are so negative on this. Sure it's not adaptable but adaptable isn't always cracked up to be.

This box is a piece of cake, a walk in the park compared to the Nano M3.

Menu is a dream to read. Simple, easy understandable. Does exactly what it should do. Decent screen size. None of this tiny writing in Engima.

And has a bonus of internet radio and you tube! I hooked it up to my own cable for updating the software so had a sneak preview of some of the features. Joy.
Brandyboy,

Admit it, go on mate.

You are the new global Marketing and Communications Manager for Technomate....lol
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kippysat For This Useful Post:
barney115 (21-04-2022), butchyboy (21-04-2022), holmroad (21-04-2022), manic01 (21-04-2022)
Old 21-04-2022, 18:58  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian
Donating Member

Thanked 105,756 Times in 22,016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kippysat View Post
Brandyboy,

Admit it, go on mate.

You are the new global Marketing and Communications Manager for Technomate....lol
Was just gonna mention that myself ...can dress up a turd all nice and fancy and talk it up no end but at the end of the day its still a turd
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to barney115 For This Useful Post:
holmroad (21-04-2022), manic01 (21-04-2022)
Old 21-04-2022, 21:35  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Quote:
Brandyboy,
Admit it, go on mate.

Eh yer wrong on a number of things even if in jest.

1) You assumed my gender going from my handle.
2) I've never studied Morketing and Communications *
3) I'm used to reading, writing and following accredited SOP's - that's Standard Operating Procedures for the lay person.
4) Open Vix manual wouldn't conform to an accredited SOP

*Irish people will get the obvious misspell as it's done for a reason...hint say it in a D4 accent *
Old 21-04-2022, 21:37  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney115 View Post
Was just gonna mention that myself ...can dress up a turd all nice and fancy and talk it up no end but at the end of the day its still a turd

We'll agree to differ.
Old 21-04-2022, 21:48  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyboy View Post
Eh yer wrong on a number of things even if in jest.

1) You assumed my gender going from my handle.
2) I've never studied Morketing and Communications *
3) I'm used to reading, writing and following accredited SOP's - that's Standard Operating Procedures for the lay person.
4) Open Vix manual wouldn't conform to an accredited SOP

*Irish people will get the obvious misspell as it's done for a reason...hint say it in a D4 accent *
Nothing in my post assumes your gender.

"Brandyboy" is your handle and "mate" is not gender specific.

I tend to be quite neutral about the Technomate range versus
others. I have done a bit of testing with certain models and
with other receivers side by side.

IMO, there are strengths and weaknesses in the Technomate as
there are strengths and weaknesses in other brands.

Personally, I think TM is ok and fairly easy to use. If a few issues are addressed in the future, then I think it will be a first rate receiver, if not the best on the market at it's price point.

If it suits you and does what you need then fair enough.
Old 21-04-2022, 22:04  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Quote:
Nothing in my post assumes your gender.

"Brandyboy" is your handle and "mate" is not gender specific.

I tend to be quite neutral about the Technomate range versus
others. I have done a bit of testing with certain models and
with other receivers side by side.

IMO, there are strengths and weaknesses in the Technomate as
there are strengths and weaknesses in other brands.

Personally, I think TM is ok and fairly easy to use. If a few issues are addressed in the future, then I think it will be a first rate receiver, if not the best on the market at it's price point.

If it suits you and does what you need then fair enough.
Cools.

As you say all brands no matter what it is from cars, receivers to tv's to v technical pieces of equipment have strengths and weaknesses (the latter of which I'm v familiar with in my line of work) and one must weigh up the balances of both when purchasing under the headings of cost, functionality, practicality, technicality, likely shelf life and get a good optimum.

We had done our homework on it.

Our regret was the Labgear many moons ago (which was bought in haste and not normal due diligence done) and the Nano M3 which we've found quite fiddly and not really practical to use, far more than we had anticipated.