Which receiver do you use to stream 4:2:2 to PC?

suny99

Registered
I'm in middle of buying a new satellite receiver. And I want to be sure that my new receiver will be capable of streaming 4:2:2 with high bitrate.

Which receiver do you use for streaming 4:2:2 to PC?

meho7

Registered
Wouldn't it be better to just buy a dvb-s2 card? Do you have a good cpu ? i7 or ryzen 6core? Some of those feeds are pretty taxing on the cpu

suny99

Registered
My PC is capable of playing high bitrate videos. I have FX6300.

Probem is that dvb-s2 card isn't really satisfying my needs. I want to watch tv channels on tv, and only when I have to watch a feed I will use long hdmi cable to connect my PC to tv, and that will be like 1-2 times a week. So really my best solution will be receiver that's capable of streaming high bitrate feeds.

I know most of the E2 receivers are capable of streaming regulat tv channels but feeds have much higher bitrates then tv channels, and I want to be sure that my new receiver will be capable of that.

meho7

Registered
That's a pretty shitty cpu mate.
Barney has/had? an fx 8350 (the fake 8 core amd cpu) and he was having issues playing 30mbps speedway feeds

suny99

Registered
I have tested my CPU with high bitrate videos. But truth be told all were 4:2:0 videos.

I guess I should do more testing with 4:2:2 videos.

I don't know what receiver barney has. But receiver's CPU should also be capable of streaming high bitrate. I also don't know barney's LAN bandwtith. All of these factors should be taken in concern.

For a 30 MB/s (I'm guessing you meant 30 megabytes per second not megabits per second) one should have at least 450 mbps LAN bandwtith. Because all devices have lower bandwidth then advertised by a lot. And 30 MB/s (megabytes) is 240 mbps (megabits).

Highest 4:2:2 bitrate that I have tested was 14 MB/s (megabytes) that's 112 mbps, that played smoothly. (File was recorded on hdd via my current receiver and then played on my PC in VLC player).

meho7

Registered
It's not about the network it's about the cpu.Even my old Xeon 4c/8t when i was watching some of these feeds was at 65-70% and don't get me started about 4k feeds. Your cpu is way way worse than that

Last edited:

suny99

Registered
It is all about the network. If your LAN bandwidth is not high enough image will be freezing. Like youtube video is freezing if your internet connection bandwidth is low.

Then receiver's CPU is also major factor. If it's not powerful enough image is all in artifacts.

And then comes the PC cpu. I'm not saying, maybe mine is not powerful enough I will for sure do more testing with higher bitrates feeeds.

What player are you using? VLC player is using drastically less CPU then all other players.

What receiver do you have?

meho7

Registered
Im streaming via vu+solo. Still does the job but sometimes have to restart it.
Im using VLC and MPC player for playing 4:2:2 feeds. MPC does better with 4k.
3700x paired with a 1070
The network isn't the issue since most have their boxes connected to 100mbps/1gb routers

suny99

Registered
VU+ solo is old device, to it's questionable if it's CPU is capable of streaming high bitrates 4:2:2 without artifacts. I'm not saying it isn't possible just saying it's questionable.

Vu+ solo is limited to only 100 mbps Ethernet bandwidth so if you are connected via Ethernet you shouldn't be able to play anything more then 11 MB/s, that's about SR: 6000

To stream higher bitrates you should be having wifi usb dongle connected to VU+ solo that's capable of receiving higher bandwidth. It's also important if your home WLAN network is 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz. 2.4 GHz is in most cases limited to 300 Mbps (which is in reality about 180mbps). While 5 GHz can go up to 1000 Mbps (reality 700 mbps) but you should be having top equipment for that.

Also your PC has to be capable to receive gigabit lan connection either via Ethernet or usb dongle

I've been more experimenting now and find out that GOM player plays even better 4:2:2. On same video BS player uses 75% CPU, VLC 25% and GOM player only 14%.

meho7

Registered
:eek:
Are you seriously talking about wireless?
100mbps is more than enough for 30mbps bitrate. Im streaming 30-40mbps 4k movies via cable to my tv without any problems

Vu+ solo is limited to only 100 mbps Ethernet bandwidth so if you are connected via Ethernet you shouldn't be able to play anything more then 11 MB/s, that's about SR: 6000
like wtf man
i've been doing that for almost 4 years now without any issues

edit:
try to play this file
https://mega.nz/file/NxlxFQ4I#5T0JRWEAct9LgvfAQaJcuPyi12y5MopBZPTMMsdht3U

edit2:

30mbps 4.4.2 feed working perfectly fine
You clearly have no idea about this stuff

Last edited:

suny99

Registered
First I would like to ask you to calm down your attitude. I've been more then polite with you so I expect to get at least the same in return.

If someone doesn't know something others on forum are here to help them not mock to them. That's what forums are about, so we can learn from each others.

I might be mistaken that's why I asked this question, if I knew all the answers I wouldn't be asking, right?

You're free to upload full hd 4:2:2 test video I'll be more then glad to test it, I can't test this one I don't have 4K tv or the PC monitor.

So your vu+ solo is streaming 4K 4:2:2 without problem for years?

william-1

Feed Hunter
I see some members here are confused or have typo errors this thread is about 4:2:2,:thum:

Not 4:4:2 :eek:

meho7

Registered
First I would like to ask you to calm down your attitude. I've been more then polite with you so I expect to get at least the same in return.

If someone doesn't know something others on forum are here to help them not mock to them. That's what forums are about, so we can learn from each others.

I might be mistaken that's why I asked this question, if I knew all the answers I wouldn't be asking, right?

You're free to upload full hd 4:2:2 test video I'll be more then glad to test it, I can't test this one I don't have 4K tv or the PC monitor.

So your vu+ solo is streaming 4K 4:2:2 without problem for years?
Really now?

barney115

Donating Member
Staff member
Administrator
30mbps 4.4.2 feed working perfectly fine
You clearly have no idea about this stuff
4:4:2 ??
i sometimes wonder exactly who clearly has no idea what they are talking about or are you just trolling as normal ? :D

The issues i had with SBK was my GPU at that time it was very old GTX660 not capable of streaming higher bitrates
and nothing to do with my PC Specs which is a custom built eight core gaming PC and is far from Fake costing quite a few grand to compile , i since upgraded my GPU to Nvidia GTX 1080 which has 2560 NVIDIA CUDA® Cores 1607 Base Clock (MHz)
well capable of playing any 4K or 4:2:2 Feed .

Network speed 300 MB down and 50 MB UP
https://www.speedtest.net/result/9341452504

but that really is not a factor when watching high bit rate 4:2:2 or UHD feeds as they open via Keys so network speed means totally nothing when discussing feeds .

meho7

Registered
4:4:2 ??
i sometimes wonder exactly who clearly has no idea what they are talking about or are you just trolling as normal ? :D

The issues i had with SBK was my GPU at that time it was very old GTX660 not capable of streaming higher bitrates
and nothing to do with my PC Specs which is a custom built eight core gaming PC and is far from Fake costing quite a few grand to compile , i since upgraded my GPU to Nvidia GTX 1080 which has 2560 NVIDIA CUDA® Cores 1607 Base Clock (MHz)
well capable of playing any 4K or 4:2:2 Feed .

Network speed 300 MB down and 50 MB UP
https://www.speedtest.net/result/9341452504

but that really is not a factor when watching high bit rate 4:2:2 or UHD feeds as they open via Keys so network speed means totally nothing when discussing feeds .
sorry i meant 4:2:2

As for the the cpu part. The buldozer arc Fx cpu's had fake cores - The Fx 8350 was basically a really slow 4c/8t cpu. There was even a lawsuit because of it. It's your fault if you bought it for a lot of money.
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...ertising-class-action-lawsuit-bulldozer-chips

Last edited:

suny99

Registered
Thanks barney for your answer.

I think you are confusing your internet bandwidth speed and LAN bandwidth speed.

Internet bandwidth is speed that you use to communicate with outer world, like this forum, or when you're watching youtube or downloading some file.

While LAN bandwidth is speed in your home network. For example you can use lan to send files from one PC to another.
So when you're streaming from your receiver to your PC, you're using your LAN network. You can read more about it here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_area_network

If your LAN network is not fast enough stream will be freezing. But if you have 300/50 you sure have router with high enough LAN speed.

If you can stream fine now, can you pls tell me which receiver are you using now?

@meho7

I tried this morning to run 1080p 15 mbps 4:2:2 and it was running smoothly with running only 20% CPU. So I guess my CPU is powerful enough to run 1080p 4:2:2.

I even tried to run it on my ancient HP 4530s laptop with ancient i3-2330M CPU and nvidia integrated graphics. It also played smoothly with 50% CPU usage

Last edited: