Reset root password on a DB 500

satfoot

Registered
As others before me have already said, to solve your problem you need Tuxbox Commander which unfortunately you cannot access. So, first you should take a Backup of your Flash Image with Dreamup (which is the only software that can connecet and work at the present moment in time with your DM500). Then, after rebooting, I would delete Tuxbox Commander from the Plugins on your Image and re-install it from the Blue Panel and see whether then you can have access to Tuxbox Commander. If yes, you will be able to reset your password.

Teerayoot

Registered
ok,
I have some progress.

I made fake dns server to redirect Gemini-Server to my pc

and i write some http program to handle it.

but i still have problem,
proplem is : when i try to install custom plugin(reset root password) ,i got fallowing error in dreambox

Code:
Data errer.The checksum didn't match.

I'm sure i set correct MD5,FileSize .

Anyone/friends have any hint to my problem :)

I think if we can deal with this problem,i will public my program and tutorial .

Best regard.

Ahmad.A

Registered
Alright in my DM 500 I got it and then i wanted to check something so i went to the guy in the shop and he did something the point is when i want to login in it shows Welcome to your dreambox blah blah blah and i wrote my login and my password as usual but it says that the password is incorrect so I Downloaded TuxBox Commander and i edited the passwd file so i don't need a password now whenever i go to my DM using CMD and i type telnet 192.xxx.x.xx it doesnt show anything it just brings the cmd empty and when i login with any ftp programs it tell me wrong password so any help????? Please try anything..

lolo4

Registered
Reset Dreambox Root Password

First off, you need to have TuxBox commander. You can download it via the Blue Panel then ADDONS. Just select the Gemini Server and, when it’s downloaded the catalogue, select PLUGINS and download Tuxbox Commander.

Once thats installed you can access it through Blue Panel, PLUGINS (Tools).

Fire it up and navigate to var/etc

Select the passwd file. Hit 4 to edit it.

You’ll see something like this:
Code:
root:$1$$3er43323sBBCAw.ofBbt.:0:0::/:/bin/sh
sshd:*:65532:65534::/:/bin/false
ftp:*:65533:65534::/:/bin/false
nobody:*:65534:65534::/:/bin/false

Your root password will obviously be different to the above. What you need to do is replace the first line with this:
Code:
root:$1$$34NPeumc9sBBCAw.oUaM80:0:0::/:/bin/sh

And you have to be *exact*.

That resets the password to “dreambox” (without the quotes - password is now dreambox) and you’re good to go.

sneaky

Registered
SET UP PASSWORD LOST

Hello first time poster,

Please can you help me guys i dont know the setup password but my dreambox let me turn it on and now i cannot access the setup menu.

I HAVE READ THROUGH ALL THE POST SO PLEASE DONT GET ANNOYED AND SAY READ THROUGH THE POST!

DM 500
PROCESSOR: STBX25XX. 252MHZ
FRONTEND: SATELLITE

SOFTWARE VERSION:
RELSEASE 4.2.0. 17.12.2007

T

teakwondo

Easy...

Simply mount you PC with you dreambox....(search internet for guides if you don't know how)

Put the attachment file in the folder shared in you PC

Use restore backup (browse to folder mounted)

DONE ****> you password restored to default :thum:

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
Hello first time poster,

Please can you help me guys i don't know the setup password but my dreambox let me turn it on and now i cannot access the setup menu.

I HAVE READ THROUGH ALL THE POST SO PLEASE DONT GET ANNOYED AND SAY READ THROUGH THE POST!

DM 500
PROCESSOR: STBX25XX. 252MHZ
FRONTEND: SATELLITE

SOFTWARE VERSION:
RELSEASE 4.2.0. 17.12.2007

The setup menu you see by using your remote? Menu-setup?

That menu is not pass worded or are you referring to something else?

Ferret

Addool

Registered
Easy...

Simply mount you PC with you dreambox....(search internet for guides if you don't know how)

Thank you teakwondo
it worked..
I had the same problem and it drove me crazy
anyway, if anywone still have this problem then Im ready to share my experiment..

tony86

Registered
hello, i did everythin to mount the folder, i have windows 7, the problem is that i can't seem to find the shared folder through my dreambox, can you take me through the steps of sharing a folder to the dbox (in windows 7 preferably).

Thanks

jmfrendo

Registered
hello

can some one tell me how to reset the user and pass for dreambox 800hd please.i am trying to use the dcc but the telnet is telling me not connected.i think who set my box set up a user and pass for himself .i hope some one can help becasue who set up my box doesnt want to give out the user and pass

thanks

sudhi

Registered
can some one tell me how to reset the user and pass for dreambox 800hd please.i am trying to use the dcc but the telnet is telling me not connected.i think who set my box set up a user and pass for himself .i hope some one can help becasue who set up my box doesnt want to give out the user and pass

thanks

if are u dont remember your dreambox password
then u can instal tuxbox commander from image addons
and run tuxbox commander and select etc folder and open passwd file
and remove red words
sample:
root:$1Z$Rb3/6uuHFIT7JtFWySfii.:0:0::/:/bin/sh
after your pass line:
root::0:0::/:/bin/sh
and save it
now your dreambox is not have a password
after connect telnet to dreambox
and use passwd command and create new one password
or use hacksat key downloader or/and hacksat addons and two click change your password
:thum:

dieseus

Registered
Tuxbox Commander is password protected

Hi everybody
If you find that access to Tuxbox Commander is password protected, then this is the method for you.
When run, the attached plug-in, it will change the root password to ’Dreambox’. When run again the password is set back to whatever it was before the first run.
Obviously if you don’t have root access you won’t be able to FTP this plugin to the Dream box. The way around this, is to mount a shared folder on your PC to the dream box, then do a manual plugin install on the dreambox, browse to the mounted share and pick it up from there.
This has only been tested on a DM500 with Gemini 4.20.
If you break something while logged in as root, its your own fault!
What does it do? It just replaces the passwd file with one where ’dreambox’ is the root password and stores the original elsewhere. If you run it a second time it swaps back the old file, setting the password back to the one you don’t know. This is how set up a network mount for your folder with the plugin.
On your PC:
1: Create a folder somewhere on the PC. (Don’t use any spaces in the name)
2: Right Click the folder -> Select Properties -> Select the Sharing tab -> Tick ’Share this folder on the network’ and if you want to write to it, tick ’’Allow network users to change my files’’.
3: Click ’Apply’
On the Dreambox:
1: Go to Blue Panel -> Extras / Setup -> Automount
2: Press the yellow button to add a new share.
3: Leave the mount point as ’nfs’.
4: Change the Client IP to that of your PC.
5: In the dropdown menu select ’cifs’
6: In ’Client dir’ enter the name of the folder you created earlier.
7: Enter your PC username and password in the provided slots.
8: Press the Green button to save.
You may have to press the green button a second time in the Auto mount main menu ’restart’.
The mounted folder will appear under /automount/nfs. It won’t appear in the plugins menu, but you can browse to the file and execute it with tux commander.
All what we need is the Password Switcher.

Enjoy

Oinq

Registered
Easy...

YOU ARE THE MAN!!! Even me, that im a complete dumb on linux, it worked at first atempt.

Thank You :dance

jefe2k

Registered
Reset password and pin from a Mac

Hi, I'm new to the DB500 but have spent all day perusing various newbie guides and reading all the threads I can. I have a DB500 that I was using in China and need to reset all settings (including to get it back to English). Not only do "root" and "password" not work to connect, it also has a 4-digit setup PIN on it that I can't guess (have tried 0000, 1234, and roughly 50 other combos). I'm using a Mac with iDreamX software, so some of your advice for flashing the machine with DreamUp doesn't apply. Seems my only option at this point is to flash it (can't even get to the blue button screen, it's behind the PIN). But how to flash using iDreamX? It's not obvious. (I AM able to see the box via my home network, but since I don't have username/psswd access or the PIN, I can't do anything.) THANKS!