A8P Sim Is It Worth Upgrading To ? My Thoughts !

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
Hi lads ive been playing around with a A8P Sim and a clone 800se for the last day or so and i appreciate other members have given their views already and I'm late out of the starting blocking with my views.

See this thread by Brummie for some technical info and what this sim will and wont do.

http://www.sat-universe.com/showthread.php?t=241156

Any way the reason i left testing one for so long was the worry the A8P sim would not be supported if DMM counter attacked it and id have wasted my £40.
Then i got thinking about what others have said about the A8P sim having no support. How do we know it wont be supported nothing has gone wrong yet. So those saying there will be no support do not really know do they ?

Anyway another way to look at it is if there was no support then as it is now the sim is still more advanced than any other clone sim team can provide at this time.
There has been no real changes in the last 11 months from any sim team and bootloaders and drivers have been made been unpatchable. So if support stops for the A8P sim now it is still using the latest drivers, bootloaders and E2 versions available now. Only the estar sim has OE2.0 images.

Ive tried a couple of ways of installing the sim and updating the image without the dreaded NO CA ERROR and this is how i did it.

Put your SE into browser flashing mode with you current clone sim in place.
Now flash the original image of your choice OE1.6 or OE2.0
When flashing is complete dont reboot ! Just kill the power and then install your new A8P sim and power on.

The main reason for me buying the A8P sim was to try out OE2.0 images was this sim worth the £40 i paid to ease my curiosity ? Was it hell.

I flashed Oozoon & Newnigma OE2.0 and ill be honest i was shocked how poor OE2.0 is when compared to OE1.6 images. The images seem very limited plugin wise even some system plugin that all oe 1.6 images had were missing.
OE2.0 images once any updates are run seem to take up so much memory even if you try get space back by removing any packages you feel you don't need these are replaced if you update the opkg listings leaving you with a bloated and sluggish image, and i mean slow :eek: don't even think about a 800hd and OE2.0.

I really don't think think OE2.0 was designed with the existing range of Dreamboxes in mind and it is probably tweaked for the 7020HD. Im told the OE2.0 images will be improved as more team support is introduced I have flash early OE2.0 images and the latest ones noticed things where improved. Im sure once plugin are made to work with OE2.0 it will start to look more exciting.

Saying this OE2.0 images been slow and unresponsive is not the fault of the A8P sim and it accepted the latest images, drivers and bootloaders with no issues.
I decided OE2.0 is not for me at this moment in time so i flashed most the latest versions OE1.6 images DE, EDG etc and was well pleased to be running on the latest files and i must admit the box did somehow feel snappier in operation as apposed to using the previous patched images.I could also use online updates which is something ive never experienced on other clone sims.

So in this respect with original OE1.6 images running sweet id say the A8P sim was worth money i spent and im safe in the knowledge that should there be no support at this moment in time the sim allows me to run original everything which is better then anything other teams can offer.

Ferret

BM300

Super VIP

Thank you very much for your positive analysis Ferret.
Looking forward to getting a card.

The OE2.0 is still in its early development days and personally I would stay with OE1.6 until a better and lighter system is developed.

BM300

Super VIP

This is what I found on this site:

PHP:
Hi friend

for the A8P only have one mac address, 
so for card sharing service have some problem , 
we stop to sale it , 
right now all it is sim2,1 and ferrari card

both have for these two model

thanks

Is this true?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
Well as we are talking the sim card mac address im not yet clear on how to try get the mac from it.

saty

Registered
ifconfig in telnet should do the job..

root@dm800se:~# ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:09:34:2C:DE:XX

cokesux

Registered
"Supposedly" sim cards have a MAC associated with them, not related to the ethernet/wireless MAC... Or so I've heard...

--
hemi

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
ifconfig in telnet should do the job..

root@dm800se:~# ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:09:34:2C:DE:XX

Thats the ethernet mac not the sim mac addy

There are tools that can read the sims mac address yassanovs does but i dont want to risk damage to the sim as the a8p is not officialy supported on yasanovs tools.

saty

Registered
Sim's dont have a mac adress indeed but a atr, inserting a8p's should change the wired nic mac adres.

Its different adres when a sim2 is inside...

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
Sim's dont have a mac adress indeed but a atr, inserting a8p's should change the wired nic mac adres.

Its different adres when a sim2 is inside...

Ill test that theory tonight, if that is the only concern and a8p show same network mac then it is very easy to change that addy in telnet anyway so no real panic.

saty

Registered
Some guys on another board did test this a while ago and seems they all have unique mac adresses.

I thought the tuxsim did have the same mac but im not sure.

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
Just had one lad get back to me and his mac totally different to mine.

I suspect this rumor had been started by a dealer stuck with Sim's from other teams and needs to sell them.

BM300

Super VIP

Great, now that the roomer is proven wrong, the concerned dealer has to live with the bad image he produced for himself.

Brummie

Staff member
Administrator
and mine is different to ferrets aswell so they definatly not all have the same mac address

joedenob

Registered
a load of rubish started by probably another sim team.

Just contacted my dealer and he assured me that is a lot of nonsense :thum:

Mine is also different

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
Thank you for your explanations.

If the subject is clear A8P Can I order the sim?

Regards.

Youll need to google mate SU sponsor does not stock them and we can not reccomend other dealers.

serkanguzel

Registered
Youll need to google mate SU sponsor does not stock them and we can not reccomend other dealers.

I'm sorry! ...

My question was misunderstood.

A8P Sim will continue to serve healthy? (I wanted to ask.)

If so, I will buy.

Regards.

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
I'm sorry! ...

My question was misunderstood.

A8P Sim will continue to serve healthy? (I wanted to ask.)

If so, I will buy.

Regards.

No one knows that mate it could be that the next lot of original images may not work on them.

But even then with what it works with now it is still more advanced than any other sim out.

And there is nothing to say it wont work in the future.